/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous Thread:
>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
Try working on and learning from your own personal projects as soon as you can.

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: wdg_zoom_indexed.png (824x553, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/webmasters/tools
youtube.com/watch?v=_3zYAMkaMf8
tangowithdjango.com/
simpleisbetterthancomplex.com/
bedbeats.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Node.js should never have been made

Learning Elm this weekend and so far very happy.

Style elements is best.

Brainlet question here, i created a blog about a topic with Jekyll, what can i do to at least have my website indexed on different search engines? I have added a plugin for that (jekyll-seo) but nothing appears after 12 houra when i search my website from google, should i wait longer?

don't know about other search engines, but google has its webmaster tools site, where you can tell googlebot to index your site and specify other things.
google.com/webmasters/tools

>nothing appears after 12 houra when i search my website from google, should i wait longer?
yeah, the time is pretty much random, but if you tell a search engine to specifically crawl your site it will at least guarantee that the site gets indexed eventually.

Is there a better way of extracting the last few characters from a value in SQL than reversing a string, getting a substring up until the first space, and then reversing that substring? It works, but it's pretty clunky. Use case is where a product description has a 1 to 3 digit code after it, e.g. "Product 123" or "Product 2 17", where the last delimiter is a space.

I'd post the SQL statement, but every time I try to put that SQL monstrosity into a post, I get "connection error".

About to begin my journey from front end to full stack lads, finishing up this express+mongo course then I'm gonna try make a big boy website once I learn how to include react as my front end

another brainlet question, can you do web development on windows?

any linux I have tried is just shit on my laptop, it just works like shit, too loud, eats my battery, nothing works properly, so I have to use windows

yes, in 99% of cases you are not restricted by an OS.
For windows you can also install WSL / Bash for Windows, if you want to use the same tools you would use on proper linux.
But even without that you are fine for the most part.

Depends on what you do, I wouldn't recommend Windows for example Drupal development because the CLI tool (Drush) is very buggy on it.

>net core
>c#

Anyone here use Dash?

Attached: dash-s1.png (1280x800, 599K)

yeah but not for documentation. The snippets alone are enough to use it.

Probs a WAF on Sup Forums trying to filter out dangerous SQL statements.

It wouldn't be so bad if modern developers hadn't forgotten how to compile libraries into few files, like every fucking programmer has been doing since the dawn of compilers.

can someone make a successful website on google sites?

Attached: google sites.png (405x124, 4K)

What's the best budget laptop for web dev?

Thinkpad XX00

Attached: Aesthetic_Librebooted_X200.jpg (2136x1424, 1.92M)

This is an interesting video about the JAM stack:
youtube.com/watch?v=_3zYAMkaMf8

I think I'm going to give it a go.

I've been developing like this since 2012.

Cool. What would be your personal opinion on this stack then? What are the pros and cons according to you?

Hey user, I think I remember seeing you post that before. What desktop environment/wm is that? Also where did you get the theme+icons?

Anything with a decent size screen resolution, or be willing to alt tab a lot.

You can fit a mobile screen and a text editor on a 1366 × 768 resolution barely but it's not comfy at all, 1080 has loads of room.
A 1080 screen will drain a lot more power though, so if you need to be on battery power it's not worth it as laptops have shit battery life.

So they have a new and exciting name for it now? Just finished a project for a client built like this, I call it common fucking sense though, or MVP (model-view-presenter) if I wanted to try and explain it in interviews. Plain old HTML5 with a few custom attributes here and there for the view, a Javascript middle layer that handles UI interaction and populates various elements with JSON pulled from a back-end implementing a RESTful api, or sends updates in a similar way. Simple, fast, only 1132 lines of non-minified JS, and no meme frameworks required, though i'm sure they could be used if you needed that crutch.

Ah, I see you are a fellow Coding Tech connoisseur as well.

Is LAMP stack dead?

Wayyyyyy too small and basic for webdev. 1080p should be a minimum requirement.

Look for IPS screen, 1080p, SSD, 15.6'' on eBay or craigslist

Yeah, it's one of the rare channels related to programming and tech that's worth following. No memes, no funny faces on the thumbnail cover and over the top reactions, or clickbait titles for the most part, just useful and insightful information provided in a decent format.

If you have any similar channels to recommend, please do so.

It's still worth knowing IMO given that most web hosts include it, and it's an easy way to do things, so I don't think it's going anywhere in the immediate future. Learning node.js and so on can't hurt though.

Asked this in the prior thread:

Does anyone have a good REPL like Rails console for Express? If not, how do people make sure shit works while developing?

Anyone know React-Native extremely well and want to partner up? It's a really good venture.
It's not only a business, but it's an asset builder. Building assets is the focus so we can eventually sell and live off passive income.

I have 20k for facebook ads

I don't see why are you specifically mentioning Express since you're actually meaning a node.js REPL.
Just use a node.js REPL.

The default node repl is a piece of shit, can't handle es6 syntax, can't reload!, and doesn't load in all of my application's dependencies so i end up writing 5 requires each time I go to test it. It's a huge pain - wondering how people have solved this.

Nah, most small to mid sized web shops use Laravel now (at least in my local market). PHP isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Can someone recommend me an online Django course? I don't mind if I have to pay.

Attached: attention-catching-image.png (602x274, 25K)

What are you trying to build user?

Contract work.

I'm doing well (4 months so far), but I want to get fluent so I don't have to spend so much time on Django's shitty website or going through stackoverflow answers for stuff that doesn't apply to the version I use.

I found a couple courses but all of them spend 30%-50% of the time on HTML, CSS and Python basics and I would rather use that time learning advanced django trickery.

>Dash

what is a windows equivalent of this?

Came across one of these threads a few weeks ago. I've been watching and doing HTML, CSS etc tutorials since.
Just want to say thanks anons.

I need to get a more bang for buck computer though.

I find that the thinkpad X200's are too small, but the T 400 are just the right size
I got me a T 430 and I love it.

>post my shit online for critique
>nobody rips me to shit
>look at everyone else's stuff they put out
>people listing like 20 things they did wrong

Can't tell if I did a good job and people can't find shit to complain about or if nobody cares

Post a link dude.

Acer chromebook 15, put linux on it. Or one of those hp's with the latest i5 if you must have windows and a faster machine for a couple hundred more.

I started months ago doing courses on codecademy, freecodecamp and now I'm about 80% of Colt Steele course on Udemy and I still feel like I know jack shit.

Help.

Attached: 1521898847950.jpg (500x497, 25K)

Made any projects?

There isn't one.
Maybe MDN if you're only doing web.
>;_;

Start coding shit up senpai

Nope.

I want to make some movie database for personal use, to keep a backlog and shit as soon as I'm done with Node at Udemy.

I found codewars to be helpful to improve my JS.

The problem is I'm doing this on my free time wich is scarce (full time job + workout) and I have the feeling that I need to go balls deep (>8h/day) into this to get the level I want.

Also debating sucking up and doing a PHP course in september in hopes of getting a job.

>php course

Are you a brainlet?

it takes time, dude. I just started my first job after a year of self-teaching, and I still don't feel like I know anything. Like others have said, start your own projects.

What's your full time job?

You just have to repeat it over and over and over until you're comfortable with it, without the struggle of having to make your own projects and being invested in the end product you never get the true learning experience of making something work.
Following tutorials is nice as an intro to things and so you have knowledge of what to do, but you most likely won't remember the exact way to do it until you've done it enough for it to stick in your mind.

this. Take the tutorial and switch it up, follow each step but modifying it a bit. I take it you're doing backend, right? Try to do an image board (done to death, but there's still a lot to be learned from it) and then add tons of cool features. Or do a Tinder-like app.

Zeal is dope, and it uses dash as a resource

Bros I want to learn jQuery, I want to give it a chance, I really do bros. But the documentation is all just "achieve the same ezpz results you can already achieve in JavaScript but write it out differently". It's killing me bros.

>I want to learn jQuery
Why

To give it an honest chance and then try to write a nice article about my positive experiences. Because I feel that we should approach everything with an open mind even if people hate it.

That's what people did in 2008 and made it catch on.

What's a good way to handle 1GB+ file upload & download from a web browser client? Just need ideas

I assume back then people hated it for different reasons though. Back then I assume people hated it for being a new layer of abstraction on top of JS. But then in 2008 we had to care about cross-browser compatibility. Now people hate it because it is an obsolete and pointless layer of abstraction on top of JS.

No no, people loved jQuery back then. They hated JavaScript, cause ES3 was hell

It's Openbox with a theme I made myself based on redmond. The icon theme is Classic95.

Ok, T/W500 with a 1200p display.

Yeah, that's why I said "XX00". Pick your size, they're all cheap as fuck and usable.

>we had to care about cross-browser compatibility

Some of us still do, especially clients that insists on making IE a supported browser. Even with polyfills it's a pain.

There should be a way to make people using IE automatically upgrade against their will by force once they visit a website

Seconded - why? As far as I can tell it's for people who think importing an 85K library is OK so they can save typing 30 bytes of Javascript because they think that XMLHttpRequest is "ugly"

Just use fetch for ajax and vanilla javascript otherwise. It's 2018. Fuck IE.

wow that was hard

Attached: GmiSyWK.png (1313x841, 129K)

>but user, I can't install the chrome or the burning fox thing, it keeps asking me for a password

>"Darn computer keeps breaking, guess I'll have to pester my grandson in real life instead of through Facebook with his account he forgot he had"
Great job

Attached: grandmacomputer.jpg (640x480, 39K)

I'M PUTTING YOU IN A RETIREMENT COMMUNITY (not nursing home)

Attached: tony-soprano.gif (500x285, 2.61M)

What sort of projects do you work on when you are bored and a web developer, /wdg/?

Attached: patandspong.jpg (259x194, 7K)

userscripts and browser extensions

Things that make it easier for me to make more websites.

Currently webpack scripts

I currently only do it as a hobby, so it's never boring as I always work on what I want anyway.
Learning CSS grids at the moment and it's fucking amazing.

Attached: 1515283542500.jpg (500x373, 15K)

Dudes I'm making my first ever Object.prototype function and I want to know what to do to allow an indefinate number of arguments to be passed. As in, the person using my function can pass in as many arguments as they please between the parameter brackets.

To make this plea for assistance more specific, there will be two individual arrays passed as arguments. But the arrays' length themselves is indefinite.

>webpack

the point of web pack it's to bundle your whole project in a single JS file, right?

In what language will this app be written?

Attached: _5.jpg (750x668, 81K)

The fuck

Brave opening line for your pitch Dave

IT is hard to come up with ideas these days

Swift.

Well, there's a catch.

It's by an actualy company that uses PHP as their main language, and there's a slight chance of getting there through a friend.

Shitty job on a lab.

Yeah, I think I would be fine having just the whole day to go over and over this shit, but I'm struggling right now because I can't dive deep into it.

Full stack.

I also want to get a heavy understanding of JS.

Also, is "You Don't know JS a good resource"?

Attached: 1521900169500.jpg (1200x1200, 106K)

that's completely different though whether you have an undetermined amount of arguments or specifically 2 arguments, both arrays with varying lengths.

If the arrays vary in length you just do a for loop in which you do your thing?

That's one thing it can do, but hardly the main point anymore.
You have loaders and plugins that process your assets in various ways.
Minifying code, cleaning up unused CSS, code-splitting for lazy-loading parts of the code, inlining small images to save on HTTP requests, dev-server, compiling SASS, compiling React/Vue templates, and so on really.

I don't know how much you know about django, but this book is pretty good for covering the basics.
tangowithdjango.com/
(free on genesis library, check it out before shelling out $$)

Then this guy here is awesome for more advanced topics
simpleisbetterthancomplex.com/

But other than that, yeah, it's all about reading the docs, because no one is going to do tutorials for the really advanced stuff, because it's so specific to your needs.

>what's the last thing you want to deal with when having sex?
I woulda said STD's, but whatever

> bedbeats.com/
Holy moly! This is actually real! I thought it was a joke. Who on Earth would use this? If this lasts for more than a year then you can make anything for any situation. How about an app that syncs music in your bathroom when you're taking a dump? Anything's possible. Wow.

>You Don't know JS a good resource
Yes.

Save up to survive 12 months if you want to quit to self-learn. 6 months to learn, 6 months buffer to job-hunt.
That said, quitting 37 hour job doesn't translate to you studying 37 hours more.

What are some practice projects I can take on to get better at Vue.Js?

I honestly never use Angular/React/Vue because I don't know how to look out for when it might be useful. But so many jobs want one of those frameworks in your skillset so I want to get better with it.

Make a Tinder web app.

>having sex
>2018

Attached: 1420099814802.jpg (250x239, 13K)

>an app that syncs music in your bathroom when you're taking a dump

Come up with a cool name and I'll give ya $10M in funding

Loodrops

Attached: index.jpg (90x90, 3K)

>That said, quitting 37 hour job doesn't translate to you studying 37 hours more.

I'm aware, and that's my biggest fear.

Anyway I've saved enough to survive 2 years without working if I ever feel like pulling the trigger.

I did the same, user. Saved up enough to live for 2 years, then quit and went into full study mode. It took me a year to study and get a job, but I did it, so proud of myself. And of course, quitting your job doesn't mean you'll study 37 hrs more, but it really does make a difference. Your mind is so much more focused, and if you're disciplined, you won't be making bullshit excuses all the time.

I have this code:
document.getElementById('box').addEventListener('keydown', function(e) {
this.style.background = 'green';
console.log(e);
document.getElementById('txt').textContent = e.keyCode;
})

'box' is a div element. How do I select it (or focus on it) so that the keydown event fires? I'm clicking on 'box' on the page but that doesn't focus on it.

jsfiddle that shit yo