How is punk/post-punk any different from "normal" rock? pic related, this sounds like art rock, why is it a punk album?

how is punk/post-punk any different from "normal" rock? pic related, this sounds like art rock, why is it a punk album?

>pulsating sound and rhythm section of bass and drums
>arrangement are atmospheric-but-minimal, spiky, interweaving lead guitar lines and squall, creating a cold, melancholic tone, with extensive use of minor key melodies
>Vocals are commonly menacing, monotone and even robotic

That's it, boy.

Marquee Moon is only considered post-punk by dads who want to stay hip.

It throws away all the blues influence of regular rock music.

Not true at all, there's still a lot of blues influence in the guitar on MM, especially the rhythm parts

It's called Art Punk

in hindsight it may not seem like it but art rock and punk were pretty similar in 70s

I meant that it throws away the blues heritage bands like Rolling Stones or Led Zep leaned heavily on. "All" was probably too strong a word

Yeah I see what you mean.

Well in all fairness post-punk and art punk can be tied very closely together

Post-punk and art rock have a lot of crossover ideas and motifs.

I'd say art punk is basically post-punk mixed with unusual sounds. Like all those strings and pianos on Sing to God and Plowing Into the Field of Love

art rick isn't even a rigidly defined thing you dumbass

punk and post punk are hugely diverse umbrella terms (hell, the latter is an umbrella term within the umbrella of the former), but when you hear it you can absolutely say "this fits in punk/post-punk". "art rock" is literally completely meaningless, worthless fluff thought up by rock critics to make their favorite releases seem more "mature".

also television is beige crap

basically

Huh, interesting tie in with Sing to God, but yeah, and even things like Swell Maos or This Heat could be considered along the lines of art punk

You are too stupid for words.

I mean, Cardiacs are actually considered art punk by Wikipedia. I'm not really a huge fan of subgenres.

Yeah I see what you mean, though I feel that's more of how they sounded on their first 10 years of albums, I'd honestly call their Sing to Hod stuff more of experimental pop. Plus, if it means anything, Tim Smith has said that he considers his music pop, whether it can actually be called that or not is one thing but that's at least the approach that I feel like he uses.

This is a good thread that could have easily been derailed
Thanks guys

I'm with this guy
art rock (art x for any x in general) is not actually a thing, post-punk is

Don't say that to me, dad.

It's not a punk album, it's a proto-punk album.