Will the UHD Blu-ray format be "successful" as the standard Blu-ray?

Will the UHD Blu-ray format be "successful" as the standard Blu-ray?

Attached: bd.jpg (512x512, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

eoshd.com/comments/topic/5044-downscaling-420-4k-to-444-1080p-lets-discuss/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

idk.

Only reason why I don't have a 4K BD player is cause of apple making every 4k movie 19.99

The point of UHD bluray is the bitrate.

Apple 4k bitrate is disgustingly low, same with netflix and amazon and anyone else streaming 4k currently.

UHD blurays provide MUCH higher color depth and a lot less artifacting and color banding.

The only reason it wont be as successful is because most people simply don't know the difference between high bitrate and low bitrate video, if you play them back side by side, the difference is obvious. But people who don't know what to look for will simply not care.

> But people who don't know what to look for will simply not care.

yup also connivence

No. Like it or not, physical media is dying.

No

It will succeed in the video game industry, but for movies? No, that ship has sailed

>succeed in the video game industry
literally how?

Most people these days have digital purchases and they just keep a handful of games installed that they play regularly.

Blu-ray still inst successful
Normie and tech illiterate still buy DVD because it's cheaper and it's "high quality" in their mind

Why aren't they making 1080p/720p transcodes from UHD Blu-rays?

Probably not. The visual difference from DVD to Bluray was rather large. The difference from bluray to UHD bluray is not as visible.

They already do, though not from UHD BDs.
Films are either filmed digitally in 4K resolution or higher, or they are scanned from the original negatives at 4K resolution or higher. Those transfers are then downscaled from 4K or higher to 2K/1080p. The resulting image from a 4K downscale is sharper than a native 2K scan.

Yeah, but blurays are encoded at 4:2:0

If you take a UHD 4:2:0 bluray and encode it to 1080p, you're left with a 4:4:4 1080p rip, which is going to be higher quality than a 1080p 4:2:0 bluray.

>shitty sub 5mbps 4K streams
Gay.
I'll take 100mbps BD4K anyday.

Not cracked and HDR. So you're looking at needing to screencap and tone map.

Nope. It'll be a huge flop.

I don't know why we're still fucking with discs anyway. Solid state is cheap now. Give me my movies in a cartridge.

Discs would probably last longer than a cartridge.

UHD blu-rays are way better quality-wise than the alternatives, while buying physical copies of games is less convenient than just downloading them and you get the exact same thing. I don't see how they could succeed for video games but not for movies.

Pressed discs cost a couple pennies each. 100GB of flash is like $30.

>while buying physical copies of games is less convenient than just downloading them and you get the exact same thing
Not quite, a lot of people out there have shitty ISP's and bad speed. Dosen't help though when every game gets a 5-20 GB every other day.

I don't believe I've ever watched a bluray video in my life. I don't feel that'd be that uncommon.

I got a PS3 late in that generation and only have a couple Blu-ray movies I got cheap/used. You might be right, although I don't have any friends to gather anecdotal evidence from.

Yup, which is why people are impressed with streaming 4k quality, they've never even really seen true high end 1080p, so low end 4k looks great.

I have never even used Blu-ray

optical disks are gone in same way as floppy ones did. history.

Buying movies and even doing it on physical media

WTF, is this 2008?

I have read an article about a guy who did.
He said there was even more bullshit than on dvds but the quality was about as good as what you could download at the time so I never bothered looking for a place that sold it.

what's the bitrate? did they increase the bd capacity?

bitrate is variable, but average for most of my UHD stuff is 45-60mbps.

Can anyone recommend me a good 4k Blu-ray drive for ripping 4k Blu-rays? What software and platforms work well for ripping 4k Blu-rays? I have a Win10 gaming build and a Linux desktop. They both have 1950X Thread Rippers and 64GB of RAM so they should be fairly capable of the doing the encoding.

The reason I ask is because I am putting together a home file server with a 20TB RAID 50 array. I wanted to start ripping some of my media and go fill data hoarder.

Attached: 1515338263156.jpg (720x960, 98K)

thanks, but does that fit in a regular bd or did they have to increase the max capacity?

Don't bother wasting time with that, there are already dedicated groups to releasing UHD remuxes, just grab from them. Why waste your own time and effort to get the same exact thing someone else already did and is freely available?

Most likely: NO.

Internet already has most physical media on suicide watch. With 5G internet on phones rolling out we will start to see a growing number of 4K streamers on phones with hevc/av1 (probably hevc first then av1).

They use BD-XL though most UHD titles don't need that much space yet, the largest I have is Batman V Superman extended edition which is like 76GB.

nice. are the old drives compatible?

Of course not

Further, UHD bluray playback requires a 7th generation or newer Intel CPUs in order to playback. Since the UHD bluray playback require the SGX instruction set.

So you need a new bluray drive, and a brand new chipset/CPU from intel, from the last generation or current generation only.

And your monitor must also be HDCP 2.2 capable as well as the GPU, which either means a brand new 1070/1080 or the intel integrated GPU.

How are they quality? I was mainly wanting to do my rips so I could chose whatever bitrate and encoding give me the best quality. Plus, I have relativity shitty Internet.

Where should I look for the UHD remuxes? Do you have any recommendations?

Attached: 1511295678642.gif (350x464, 301K)

A remux means it's full bitrate of whatever was on the disc, no further encoding was done.

There are many torrent trackers out there, the best place to grab these types of things as soon as they hit the internet are through private trackers that specifically deal with these kinds of things.

Beyond-HD as an internal group that has been steadily releasing pretty much every large UHD release so far this year.

Disc is outdated. We were set to get several terrabyte dics 5 or 10 years from now, but USB drives and just simply downloading movies has replaced all of the disc's function. And discs take up more physical space than just downloading a movie to your computer.
Discs are dead

Nop,we need 8K Blu-Ray had over 250GB storage.

>100GB flash storage just for movies
It's not that cheap yet. They're not going to price these at $50 a pop. Maybe in another 5.

Based
there's just absolutely no reason to. Regular blue rays exist for a reason

>there's just absolutely no reason to. Regular blue rays exist for a reason
See

Wrong, they are cracked. The method just isn't public but MakeMKV can do it if you send them the AACS dumps from UHD discs.

that's not how it works you blithering retard

That's actually exactly how it works, mathematically it's 100% possible to do.

2009 was the last time I unironically bought a DVD, unfortunately it was Quantum of Solace.

Then do it you dumb piece if shit and prove me an encoder that will spit out the metadata in the way you predict it will.
You are such a dumb fucking autist. Its been fucking years since ive seen a single autist ruin an entire fucking board

UHD-BluRay MiniDisc WHEN!???!?

eoshd.com/comments/topic/5044-downscaling-420-4k-to-444-1080p-lets-discuss/

I never said you could effectively do it in practice.

However mathematically an 8 bit 4k file CAN be converted into a 10 bit 1080p file.

>I never said you could do it
>but you could do it
Then FUCKING DO IT
Fuck you

That doesn't mean it's impossible, just that I'm unaware of anything that'll do this besides Adobe software. Take Adobe 420 4k and it is perfectly capable of outputting a 444 1080p file.

Then do it

If you read the link earlier, it's been done I won't spoon feed you

I read the link, its just simple theoretical talk and some of the users don't even think its perfectly possible.
When you produce a 1080p 4:4:4 encode from a 4k 4:2:0 encode ill admit I am wrong. Until then fuck off or kill yourself

it works, but you effectively double the filesize for not much of a bonus.

yes color matters, but brightness matters far more to an extent the people who want 4:4:4 video just don't understand.

here is the difference, I had to make this image based on '4k is just 1080p but full 1080p' retards, then get the faggot bitching at me that 'he must not have done it right.

what they want is possible, its done, 4:4:4 1080p looks better than 4:2:0 1080 but you have to pause and zoom in 200-400% to see the difference, so is it worth it when you are going to effectively double the filesize at least?

This is a 4:4:4 1080 made from a 4k 4:2:0 video.
The image was to show how much more important the grey scale is to color.

Attached: retard.png (631x414, 222K)

That picture would be better if it had a 1080p 420 example as well

Wow that looks fucking terrible
Not to mention that this talk is about taking an 8 bit 4k video and UHD blu rays are 10 bit, use BT20.20 instead of sRGB, and contain HDR metadata that needs to be tonemapped back into sdr

it did, but honestly they are almost exactly the same and I wanted to shove it in the annoying cunts face that 1080 4:4:4 is not 4k 4:2:0

considering this is a cell phone camera, yea, it's not great, but it more then illustrates a point.

it won't fail but it won't succeed either.

where you want a 4k bluray is either at home, or on a laptop

because of how fucking bad bluray software is on the pc, you loose of the biggest reasons to get it, mobile viewing.

now you are only getting it if you can piss away 150$ on a player and another 600$ on a tv that is worth a damn

I dunno. Older stuff such as TV shows/old films your limited by the quality of the source footage. So to make a 4K transfer of such film won't give you much gain, in fact it may make it look worse due to upscale/showing film artifacts. Then you got that for most people DVD is still damn good. Reason is they don't sit so close to the screen there nose hits it or due to the screen is like 40 inch or lower. Younger people just fucking torrent the shit they want and stream it local rather than pay for it. Have a local copy (via disc or file based) is far better than some streaming service shit. Just my opinion

Streamfags are not only killing music but movies too. Goddamn it.

The DRM fucking kills it. Can't play them on my 4k monitor because it doesn't comply to the BS standard. I'm not going to buy a high latency shit TV just so I can play 4k blu rays.

Attached: 1521207069476.png (1212x981, 366K)

If bluray was pop and play like DVD it would be amazing. I still haven't been able to figure out how to 'legally' play them even though I own the disc.

I can run regular blu ray on my pc. The software is absolute dog doodoo though. The only thing that I can get working semi consistently is powerDVD. Just get a drive "buy" the latest version of powerDVD and it'll play.

Idk but i want torrents for them

I just don't like having some shitty software on my computer JUST for bluray. It would be nice to just put it in the tray and play it with MPV/VLC with no fuss. There's just too much DRM, yet it plays simply with a PS4 apparently.

Attached: steve.jpg (223x226, 7K)

Why dont you keep copies on your computer? Its much easier to sort and select movies. Especially if you have a NAS which is way more convenient. Discs are only good for backups.

I did, using MakeMKV. I don't do it with DVDs though because they're so simple. My whole collection is basically right beside me and if things were easier it would save some drive space.

Blu rays have a much higher bitrate than torrented movies. The picture quality is superior without macroblocking

Just torrent remuxes, they're pure disc rips no further encoding is done.

I didnt mention torrenting. But since you brought it up, you actually can download full bluray movies.

good luck finding seeders

Ignorance isn't always bliss

>Buying movies from rapists when YouTube is free

Lol are you new around here?
I'm on several private trackers specifically for movies.
Even with 3 or 4 seeders, one or more of them are seeding from 1gbps+ connections.

I've gotten 80MB/s (640mbps) download speed with only 4 seeders active.

>optical media
>2018

This is the file size on the 4K DCP for The Last Jedi. I suppose it's big but I guess I just assumed they'd be like a terabyte or something. Anyway, IIRC the storage space on a UHD blu-ray is what, 100 GB?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 3.35.03 AM.png (978x1072, 346K)

same. I care about quality when I download or stream stuff but I've just never bought a blu-ray in my life. The only time I could've maybe watched one would be at someone elses house but I don't remember that ever happening. My parents just didn't understand the need for a blu-ray player when they came out and I wasn't going to buy one myself, plus I have a MacBook Pro which doesn't even have a DVD drive let alone blu-ray, so I wouldn't be able to play one if I could.

I honestly think poor blu-ray sales are the fault of companies like Apple or Microsoft not making it easy or possible to watch blu-rays unless you buy a blu-ray player. A lot of people watch movies on their computer.

>paying for (((movies)))

DCP is at 4:4:4 not 4:2:0
186GB / 3ch = 62GB per component
Quarter the two chroma components for 4:2:0 = 15.5GB per chroma component.
62 + (15.5x2) = 93GB

That's without Audio though. (which is 40GB according to the image)

Last jedi UHD remux is 53GB.

that's because its not compressed. UHD blu ray is a slightly lower resolution (3840 wide instead of 4096) and uses HEVC encoding to compress the filesize with minimal quality loss.

Keep in mind UHD Bluray discs are literally just BDXL discs that most Bluray drives can already read. I found a firmware update for my drive that enabled UHD capabilities. I only have a 1440p screen so I haven't bought a movie to try it out but it's cool that theoretically you shouldn't need to buy a new drive.

Yes and no. Your drive probably doesn't have the DRM components to officially play them in powerdvd, but you can probably rip them with the pirate software who's name escapes me at the moment

There's also Leawo Bluray Player. It's free but adware. I do wish there was a way to just play them easily in MPC without ripping them. I tried the AACS patch for VLC but it didn't work for me.

That's cool. What drive do you have?

You can play BDs with mpv/vlc but you need to use the dlls from makemkv (on Windows) or the non-free library (on Linux) to play it, and even then menus are probably not supported. It's only a 1 time setup though.

i still haven't gotten a bluray player

LG UH12NS40 No idea if it actually works or supports UHD DRM unfortunately, I just know the firmware update claims to increase compatibility when I ran it. Can't test it out without an Intel CPU, might try MakeMKV sometime.

Some people won't care regardless because some people don't obsess over image detail

Around half of the titles released aren't really 4k and are just scaled up from 1080p meaning most will look blurry and shitty and normal people will rightfully say they see no difference.

On a related note, does a ps4 have to be connected to the internet constantly to watch dvds/blurays? If so, wtf?

On a good note: you can get just a basic blu-ray player (no online stream shit) for like $60 now. At first release in 2006 they would set you back a cool 1K. I'm still using my sony dvd player cause to me DVD is still damn good. picture looks great on my 65" 1080 set. Also cause I got my whole media library ripped down and got a streaming player (a WD TV Live, nice player that supports pretty much everything with no trans-coding required, shame they don't make them anymore)

I doubt it. Especially with pc uhd readers being a hard find. I know some lg ones can be flashed to read uhd but barely any can. In addition 4k digital is kinda the way to go now seeing as a hard drive is way cheaper than bluray discs

No, it needs to connect the first time due to DRM rights.

Essentially Sony and MS don't pay for the DRM royalties UNTIL you actually decide to play a bluray. The first time you do this your Xbox/PS4 will contact their respective DRM management servers, then verify your specific Xbox/PS4 serial number being legit, and then they pay the royalty fee for the DRM to whoever owns the rights.

It's MUCH cheaper to do this than to pre-pay for every single Xbox/PS4 sold since many people will never watch blurays, it would just be wasted money to pay for all of them up front.

So the compromise is during the first time you watch a bluray, you must have internet access

I have the LG BH16NS40 which can be used to rip UHD blurays, but I don't believe it supports the DRM for UHD bluray playback.

You have never lived if you haven't downloaded a remux, go do it now!