Looks to me like a list I once saw at /cybsec/

Gopher

Yes, it's from suckless

Newfags

Incorrect.

The person who wrote this list doesn't have a job

BURN ALL BLOAT

Attached: hike2017.png (1024x768, 406K)

Well no, it's from cat-v.org. Their userbase is shared tho, but cat-v people are better

http/2, https. Supported by the alternatives.

List is from harmful.cat-v.org/software/

What advantages does Gopher have over HTTP other than being old/obscure?

>advocating Go
shit list

He works for amazon:
de.linkedin.com/in/anselmgarbe

RIP Uriel. Your struggle was not in vain.

thx beb

FTP

ftp://weebftp.org/index.htm

Much saner protocol

FTP is complete crap.
It doesn't even have standardized directory listings.

SFTP (don't confuse it with FTPS) is much better.

>What am I supposed to use instead?
Your brain, for example to realize that "le harmful" is the worst and biggest brainlet meme in the tech history.

Calling something a brainlet meme is the biggest brainlet meme in tech history.

HTTP2.

probably that latency heavy POS known as 9P2000

I would guess plan9-fags' problem with http is that it's not made to be remote filesystem protocol plus it deviated too much from serving documents. Their 9p/styx is obviously made for this and is very simple in implementation, but is crap on network with latency (which Internet is). I really don't know what to advocate instead, other remote fs protocols are kinda crappy or very hard to setup for anonymous read-only serving.

>Gopher over HTTP
holy shit fkin no

Who came up with that? It contradicts itself.
Maybe that's the joke though.

> It contradicts itself.
Where?

> Maybe that's the joke though.
Seems overall very reasonable to me, a little extreme in some choices. Maybe you are the joke

Why is everything made by GNU harmful?

The license itself is bloat, must be included.

is this an ironic post

it better be

Attached: sad post.png (221x322, 70K)

Nope. Are you going to answer me or are you going to play the retarded again ?

take gist.github.com/pete/665971 for a concrete example

Gopher

To be fair no other implementations matches Gawk's speed and this specifically is the tool where speed matters. Many BSD and Plan9 tools/libs omit even the simplest optimizations that would only take few readable lines but brought massive speedup all over the place because of muh simplicity.

Attached: 1518859164078.png (502x277, 370K)

was this from when he got the wrong order of something he already reviewed?

>The person who wrote this list doesn't have a life
FTFY. Literally.

the javascript era is killing all good, bitter programmers

>recommending dead projects
was this made in 2011?

He wasn't a good programmer though. Then he found that out and debugged himself.

>recommending dead peoples projects
ftfy

web.archive.org/web/20090701055933/http://harmful.cat-v.org:80/software

>What advantages does Gopher have over HTTP other than being old/obscure?
Perceived advantage: it was a stateful protocol (server must keep state)
Actual advantage: stateful protocols doesn't scale very well

i love that javascript exists. it filters out the real programmers from the "web devs".

Attached: uriel1.png (853x621, 87K)

Reminder that plan9 doesn't even have a web browser

Why would it? HTTP is considered harmful...

I can't do anything with plan9 if it doens't even have a web browser

> GNU ok
Suckless and cat-v fags would rather kill themselves than ever utter the phrase "GNU ok"

ain't that the truth

He was saying both linux and GNu were harmful not that GNU was okay

>it was a stateful protocol
In what way? I've seen this said only once before, but it seems to be the same as HTTP in this regard, which is usually considered stateless.

You need to learn how to parse sentences.

>[use] plan 9 and rob pike
>[do] not [use] harmfull loonix and gnu
>ok?

you are autistic, it's obvious that he knows that was the intention but was making a joke due to the lack of a comma

>In what way [is it stateful]?
Similar to FTP or a window menu, it needs to keep track of the "location" of each individual clients. The benefit is of course that it is extremely simple to create a client. The downside is that it doesn't scale very well, and you can not so easily distribute or balance load between multiple servers.

>but it seems to be the same as HTTP in this regard, which is usually considered stateless.
HTTP is stateless from the server's point of view, the client keeps track of state and sends it back and forth (cookies, request params etc).

>you are autistic
>not the person literally making an comma joke
Fecking nerds

>harmful things = things I don't like
>less harmful things = things I like
Is this what autism looks like?

>taking that autistic list serious

Attached: bh.png (975x1695, 1.16M)

You're supposed to ignore the entire chart as the entire thing is a deluded fantasy of an autistic chuckle fuck.

Yes

How many chucks can an autistic chuckle fuck chuck ?

Attached: stares autisticly.jpg (690x388, 65K)

wtf I want to learn C now

>Similar to FTP or a window menu, it needs to keep track of the "location" of each individual clients
It does not, actually. Gopher requests are just like HTTP GET requests:
/some/menu

The server responds with:
1More files/some/menu/morehost.com70
0A text file/some/menu/file.txthost.com70
The client renders each of those lines as a "link" the user can select. If they select the second one, the next request will be:
/some/menu/file.txt

There's no "location" involved. It is stateless.

its a bit strange in this situation but yes that's what happened

We all have autism here, user.

he's also dead

it's not. gnu tools are the only ones that don't fucking suck and can usually handle things like strings containing NUL bytes or different text encodings correctly. like utf8, utf-16, etc. hell they are the only ones that seem to have an actual i18n solution.

literally the only exception to this is bash, which is probably the worst gnu utility, but still better than the alts outside of zsh, I have to use most of the time.

>actual i18n solution
please examples?

>literally the only exception to this is bash
Don't be racist

nigger sftp is ftp only with encryption

no, that would be ftps

>What advantages does Gopher have over HTTP other than being old/obscure?
Feature-wise, only the lighter protocol, which with today's network speeds you'd probably consider irrelevant. Everything else that Gopher does can be done over HTTP. Despite the name, you can send exclusively plain text files over HTTP, and use a simple hierarchy + auto-generated "Index of" pages to simulate basic Gopher menus.

Philosophy-wise, it's the things it *doesn't* have that matter (which is sort of the point of the whole "harmful software" list). Gopher came at a time when people thought the internet would be focused on information exchange, instead of the new frontier for commerce and advertising, so Gopherspace remains free of ads, Javascript, Flash, social media, etc. The consequence of course is that it's mostly dead compared to the Web, but as someone that posts on Sup Forums, whose users tend to pride themselves on not being "normies", I find it surprising when this is used as a criticism.

Stop talking out of your ass you retard and look it up.
It's a completely different protocol.

One two-column list can't sum up the entirety of software. You're allowed to agree with some things and disagree with other things, because there are not a finite number of use cases for any given technology, in either column. You're supposed to just keep an open mind, that the thing that is popular and has more features isn't necessarily the best. The second column is even called "Less harmful alternatives". Not "Non-harmful alternatives", just "Less", because, as they state on the site, "All software sucks". Again from the site: "figuring out why some things are considered more or less harmful than others is left as an exercise for the reader."

use HTTP outside port 80
99.99% hackers won't know how to connect

Attached: 1410355037582.png (724x611, 129K)

lol what has uriel even programmed? some shitty web anti-framework and thats it?

cat-v.org/

Didn't the guy who came up with this list actually kill himself?

gettext.

This is what I found.
Documenter on v9fs
Helper on Inferno
Helper on Kencc
Helper on Plan 9 from User Space
Developer on py9p
Developer on Plan 9 from Bell Labs
Helper on abaco
Helper on 9P
Lead Developer on wmii
Lead Developer on werc
Helper on libixp
Helper on acme-sac
Helper on xcpu
Helper on diri
Lead Developer on Snake Steak
Lead Developer on Marvin
Lead Developer on Atrack

I think this is an outdated list, I'm quite sure he was involved
in 9front and the Plan 9 golang port

Well, TCP is clearly simpler, so use that. Okay, you need some application-level protocol. Then use text, it's the universal interface. With text you can easily serialize key-value data structures. Also you should keep things simple and avoid states. You can use a single TCP connection, but make requests to the application that are self-contained, it makes thing simpler if you want to do concurrency. You could also organize the application's data in a tree and have your custom protocol walk that tree to find whatever the client needs. The leaf's location could also be expressed as a string separated by slashes, like the filesystem, it would be very easy to share them even by non programmers.

This is part of the meme

Then your use case is shit

http.

pretty much any fucking socket communication is going to be similar and with websockets you pretty much can blast whatever protocol you want once you set it up.

>probably the worst gnu utility
But that would be GIMP for the absolutely ass-backwards interface standards they created for no reason other than to be special snowflakes.
Fuck the GIMP devs. Actual retards. Trying to have a discussion with them is like trying to punch through concrete.
They are brain-dead idiots.

Fuck that, too complicated.
Just do it over UDP with checksumming.
Done.

Gimp actually copied PS in many part, but of course there are people who can't into anything but whining. Shame on you

They copied it fucking horrible.
Go, use that layering system, I fucking dare you.
Also, drag 100 PNGs on to it and watch the fun happen.

GIMP is amateur amateur-hour. It's almost Indian-tier.
Reading their dev tracker discussions is hilarious and painful.

just continue using HTTP but label it as harmful to anyone that asks

>I'm taking memes seriously now

This is retarded. I agree with some stuff (Java,CMake, Ruby), but most of it is just retarded.
I see no reason that some very useful and good free software is """harmful""" and should be replaced with inferior alternatives just because they offer """simplicity.""" Fuck that.
They also clearly have an agenda against GNU for some reason.

No, sftp is ftp on top of ssh.

It has at least 4.
irc, gopher, ftp, mail

No, it's not.
Use the time you waste on your idiotic posts to look it up instead.

>list not in any rational order

as expected from freetards

This shit is old as fuck and outdated

A small number of these are decent recommendations but as a /lit/ fag, I can confirm that whoever recommended DjVu over ePub is fucking retarded and moronic. DjVu is a modern alternative to PDF with layering and compression so that when two different PDF rendering engines disagree on how to display an element, it doesn’t shit it’s pants and output hungarian variables. But it is for scanned images and documents meant to never be altered, and always be viewed in whole, and read *only* in the form that the author wanted. Good for scientific texts where the publication will always be standard and isn’t designed for eReaders with various screen sizes and color requirements and text alterations (highlighting, bookmarking, font size changing, soft wrap vs hard wrap changing, etc.)

And that is what epub is good for. I can manipulate the formatting for a book to fit each word on a few pixels and put dostoyevsky on 5 pages if i wanted to with ePub. Of course, I’m not satan, but that’s besides the point. They cover two completely different use cases; it’s like trying to film edit a documentary the same way you edit a marvel film.

Fucking moron.

Since when were C++ and GNU utils harmful?

work on your english litfag

Interviewer: Yes, but C++ is basically a sound language..
Stroustrup: You really believe that, don’t you? Have you ever sat down and worked on a C++ project? Here’s what happens: First, I’ve put in enough pitfalls to make sure that only the most trivial projects will work first time. Take operator overloading. At the end of the project, almost every module has it, usually, because guys feel they really should do it, as it was in their training course. The same operator then means something totally different in every module. Try pulling that lot together, when you have a hundred or so modules. And as for data hiding. God, I sometimes can’t help laughing when I hear about the problems companies have making their modules talk to each other. I think the word ‘synergistic’ was specially invented to twist the knife in a project manager’s ribs..

there are 2 protocols called SFTP

No one is talking about Simple FTP