Famous musicians that are currently lurking at Sup Forums: How did you become succesful in the music industry?

Famous musicians that are currently lurking at Sup Forums: How did you become succesful in the music industry?

Other urls found in this thread:

piousyouth.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sneakily befriended a lot of record industry people and viraled on Sup Forums.

get out Ryan

who's Ryan?

I spammed my shitty record on Sup Forums.

I sucked a lot of dick

hey, me too

Lauren Mayberry here, AMA

how the hell do you sneakily befriend someone

I spammed my bandcamp on here but then I fucked it up by forgetting to ask for s sample clearance

after decca turned us down, we kicked out pete
the rest is history

Got involved with/worked in the industry (instead of just solely trying to make it off the back of my music). You begin to understand how all the different facets of the industry work and how to work with them/manipulate them, etc. You also then know the people that you have to impress/sell your music and brand to.

send nudes

Well you see, I just record the nastiest, wettest farts I have and then put some shit beat to it. Then I made sure I look like a fucking moron so weirdos will like me. My name starts with G and ends in rimes. Can you guess who I am?

>tfw you are not one of those people
JUST

I basically meant "befriend them". I just made "friends" with people who could help my career.

If I was to post my bandcamp here would anyone even listen to it? I know no one in the bandcamp thread ever does. I've literally had more luck with reddit in terms of plays.

This. Networking and making friends is pivotal to getting yourself anywhere in the music industry. It's not nepotism, it's an industry based on the sale of entertainment and so naturally it's going to be very social.

hahaha

that feel bro that feel......lol

i'll listen to it

Thanks dude!
piousyouth.bandcamp.com/

gasoria rimes?

You should ask yourself why people should listen to your music, then figure out who it is that you think would enjoy your music and how you can get them to engage with it. It is so incredibly rare that an artist with no following will upload music to a website without any kind of proper marketing or publicity (or, alerting press/media to the fact that it exists) and have that music blow up or gain any kind of traction. I understand that maybe you wouldn't know where to start with contacting those kinds of people or how to go about it, but setting something adrift and hoping that someone will listen to it doesn't work.

not going to reveal the name of my band of course but let's just say i sing in a scottish indie pop band

i sucked and fucked my way to the top

i'm just some irritating, lying, ginger kid from cornwall who should have been locked up in some youth detention centre. i just managed to escape and blag it into music.

I legitimately believe Aphex Twin does go to Sup Forums, he seems autistic enough

are you that ginger from two door cinema club?
I saw you live here in mexico a few months ago
the show was awesome
your haircut was shit

>piousyouth.bandcamp.com/
this is cool

There's certainly something to be said for knowing the right people or being in the right place at the right time, but honestly nobody with this kind of mentality makes music that actually is viewed respectfully. The people who parrot this shit are nobodies who may have seen a modicum of success or attention and thus pretend like they've figured out the "key" to it all.

The fact is that if you make actually good music that resonates with people in some manner, and do something to get your name out there, chances are you'll see some success. The thing is most people don't make that good of music so they look for shitty excuses like this for their lack of a secure following.

Yes.

Electronic musician here who has sold over 100,000 albums total

You have two choices: make good material that is entirely your own and stick to your guns, usually resulting in minimal sales...OR...sell out to record companies, do copious pointless collaborations, shill your content everywhere, and avoid avant-garde composition, more frequently resulting in higher sales.

My advice is to go for the second option at first, and once you gain reasonable fame, pull out your individual, groundbreaking material that will blow fans and critics out of the water.

Go to bed, Joel.

Play a shit ton of shitty festivals for shitty rich kids and sometimes their parents. Eat everything in the green room even if you're not hungry. Be a sort of household name to people who follow music on the internet. Still be mostly broke.

Shit's not cash son.

hi mark!