THINKPAD GENERAL TPG

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60; X200, T/W400/500
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot on T420; Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T/W52/30 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (Get the T440s for portability, soldered cpu)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, 64gb of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive. Bad stock cooling reported by multiple owners.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
>EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Attached: t440s.jpg (602x339, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Replacement-Thinkpad-Internal-DVD-ROM/dp/B077M3GY8G/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WWJG8EWW8QKKMR2N1D85
youtube.com/watch?v=VyS9cTU5CeM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can I get a recommendation on an hd caddy that actually works, and fits right.

Attached: IMG_20180324_224421.jpg (3036x4048, 3.46M)

Sure, for which model thinkpad?

T420

I recently got my hands one an X230 tablet. Are all of the mods for the non-tablet compatible with the tablet version?

no

That looks identical to the ones that work for most people. Not sure.

Are the Tablet models any good for writing notes?

You wont get a straight response, extremely opinionated answers only.

Are there much better note tablets out there?
>yep

Are they Thinkpad Business Laptops?
>no

Can I take notes more accurately and quicker with my keyboard?

>yes

I'm most specifically looking into doing a keyboard swap and coreboot, would those be possible at least?

that one doesnt lock in place, and the Lenovo faceplate doesnt fit it.

nope

x230t is a terrible device

Stop recommending the t420. Its a hot slow piece of garbage with a keyboard not even attached to the rollcage with one of the worst screens ever put on a laptop this decade. Its a bad fucking joke.

Attached: t420_display_1.png (883x1187, 141K)

At least recommend the t430 with the x1 carbon screen replacement.

Attached: t420_display_2.png (843x984, 512K)

Noted.

The OP does need some changes. Its very dated.

Nah, its TN panel is fine. I've seen much, much worse display panels on everyday laptops.

Acer and Sony come to mind

The device my GF uses, its not bad. Just not my cup of tea.

recommend me something to put in expresscard slot on x220. already ordered a 3x usb 3.0

>quicker with my keyboard?
I'm investigating solutions for writing math notes, a keyboard probably isn't adequate

It is not fine. It cannot be fine, objectively. You can be OK with the worst quality screen put on a business laptop this decade but there doesn't make it fine. Its bot even average. Its about as bad as any laptop screen can get. Its about 50% sRGB coverage, 200 nits of brightness, and 160:1 contrast ratio. Its not even an exaggeration, the thing is objectively shit. Stop defending it you dumb cocksucker
Its not even about being dated. The t420 was a piece of shit when it was released. Being the go to memepad has probably been the most destructive thing to the thibkpad brand of all time.
T430 and t440 issues can be modded or fixed. Not t420. Tech enthusiasts should stay far away from this piece of shit.

Can you elaborate on that. I'm not but I'm thinking about getting an x2x0t of some sort and wanted to know my options.

I don't know where's better to ask /sqt/ or /tpg/ for this. Anyway, what went wrong here?

Attached: Untitled.jpg (471x324, 36K)

You can do the keyboard swap, wifi whitelist removal, and battery check removal.

its shit
fuck you

Terrible device if coreboot and classic keyboard are priorities of yours.

I dont use either of those things, so I really should not have called it terrible.

If you keyboard swap an x230t, is the keyboard going to look perfect no matter what?

Or is there room for error?

>not just getting an x220t at this point

if you're taking some math class with weird symbols yeah
if it's just regular text no
if you like to draw pictures to help your notes yeah

Can I get some advice for a laptop ~$1,000 to replace my Dell xt3. The xt3 has been good but it's lagging in virtualization with 8gb of ram

I mainly use it for programming in Java, C and sometimes Haskell

This user answered it perfectly.

That's good to hear, I don't care so much for the battery but having 7260 AC wireless wouldn't be bad at all.

Thoughts on Acer Helios 300?

amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Replacement-Thinkpad-Internal-DVD-ROM/dp/B077M3GY8G/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WWJG8EWW8QKKMR2N1D85

Here's a comfy video of a Jap drawing pic related on his X220 Tablet:

youtube.com/watch?v=VyS9cTU5CeM

Attached: 61435801_p0.jpg (810x1080, 159K)

I have the TN panel and it's not as bad as people were saying. I was expecting it to have washed out colors and severe ghosting, but neither have occurred. Stop memeing.

im not defending it. im saying ive seen worse screens from other laptops from the same era, so this ibm has a better screen is a good thing. its only shit by todays standards.

i remember how amazing my Viao screen looked until I powered it on recently. perspectives change.

Daily Reminder.

Attached: xx30 posters.png (919x648, 46K)

I agree that the t420 shouldn't be recommended anymore.

Does everybody else agree it should be removed from the OP?

Notice that none of the colors are accurate.

This device cant be used for professional or even advanced drawing.

Note taking in a math class? Sure, maybe.

is t460p shit?

Depends on the price, the t440p is better price/performance

I've never owned a Thinkpad and I'm looking for a cheap laptop to go to school with. Something in the range of $200 dollars. Can someone recommend me a model. Preferably something with very high battery life. Which one is better from the three T420, T420s, and x220? And what are the upgrade options with each? Also, I'm planning to run linux on them so if some of the models don't cooperate with linux, I'd like to know in advance.

Thanks.

Dont get the t420s

Do you want a 12 inch or 14 inch display?

>very high battery life

Dont buy used batteries then and certainly dont upgrade any of the hardware.

>Do you want a 12 inch or 14 inch display?
14 inch preferably.

>Dont buy used batteries then
I'll get a new battery but to know what to get, I need to know what the upgrade options with each are. I know that some of the models support a bigger battery that sticks out or smth.

I meant to link . Sorry.