/prod/ - Music Production General

Drunk edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Post clyp.it only. No Soundcloud links.

Other urls found in this thread:

thomann.de/gb/swissonic_sub10.htm
acoustic.ua/st/web_absorption_data_eng.pdf
thomann.de/gb/bass_absorbers.html?oa=pra
clyp.it/kp0p2wmz
soundcloud.com/christopherterrence-audio/actually-good
youtube.com/watch?v=DyEFIvB_9DY
clyp.it/luebsikb
soundcloud.com/milklove
clyp.it/g20fudnw
clyp.it/bxc1x3ws
clyp.it/fralrvj3
clyp.it/1k2wvlz0
clyp.it/xud1upv5
clyp.it/catgnxpx
clyp.it/1nms4tp1
clyp.it/g20fudnw)
clyp.it/mb2eg2pd):
clyp.it/wks30lqh
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"It's obvious to say it, but you need to listen to what you're doing. I remember seeing these charts which would tell you how to EQ your kick drum. Like, "To give it more body, add a peak around 1kHz." I remember trying to follow those charts and not understanding why it wasn't working. No one teaching music technology should use those charts. " - Randomer

How do you guys make stuff? I've dicked around in ableton here and there but any time I try to start doing something serious, I feel like it's too complicated to do simple things. Like I can't really grasp handling samples. The most I ever do is manually draw in all the individual notes using the sounds in the instruments folder. Would like to be able to progress past that.

It's all practice man. Just gotta get on it everyday and try and accomplish some kind of goal, whether it be make a complete song or just a good loop. Lately I just start off by making a decent chord progression with a simple synth wave then develop it into an interesting patch and go from there.

Helps to start with a progression or maybe a synth sound you like. Translate your idea into the DAW of your choice and you'll find the ideas will come naturally, the rest is experience.

What sample packs do you guys recommend for hip-hop/trap, I cant seem to find one that I like anywhere, and just what sample packs do you recommend in general? thanks

Check out the lex luger pack on splice, has some good shit. I could probably upload it to filedropper or some shit later if you guys want.

that would be sweet thanks man

Alright I'll compress it now and it should be up in a few hours

Do foam sound absorbers raise the room temperature?

Not on their own, just think of them as another layer of insulation.

www filedropper com/lexlugerdrumkit
Here you go bud, all the rap stuff I've done has used these samples for the percussion. You'll obviously still need to play with EQ and effects, but these are a good start.

Thanks

What is the best way to attach foams to the wall without leaving chunks of glue behind if I decide to remove them

thank you for taking the time to do that man i appreciate it

All g, go make some good music with it

Couldn't tell you, I've never had to remove mine. I would suggest google.

Hey, I need some advice/help.
I have had an old M-Audio Axiom25 in storage for a couple or so years now. I pulled it out and it's got green shit on all the ports and one of the pots no longer turn.

Would anyone now how I could fix this? I was thinking about calling M-Audio and asking for support but I bought it off eBay and it was a long while ago.

Dudes i'm consideering buying kontakt ( i can't make my pirated copies work right it's so time consuming ) but does it work with pirated libraries?

Yes it does. I've run multiple different libraries and patches from torrents and they've all been fine.

I literally pirated Kontakt this morning

It took me 15 minutes to get working, downloading libraries now

How can I practice singing if I live in an apartment and don't want to disturb my neighbors? I want to practice by myself.

Is there such thing as a building with loads of small, soundproof studios in for people to use for an hour or two?

>Is there such thing as a building with loads of small, soundproof studios in for people to use for an hour or two?
You could book a studio room but I wouldn't think it would be worth it. Music schools often have rooms like that, they might let you use them.
Alternatively go somewhere like a park when nobody is around.

I can't load most of the libraries i've dl'ed for various reasons

The rehearsal spaces I've worked at have all had vocal booths for singers, usually equipped with music playback, headphone amps and a mic with a preamp with an output that allowed a recording to be taken of your performance - don't expect recording studio mic quality (unless you bring your own if you have one) or great sound isolation (there will be several bands rehearsing nearby in only economically-insulated spaces) but it would be cheaper than a recording studio where you'd have to pay flat rate for the whole studio space even though you're not using it.

Thanks for the responses. I think using the studio of a local music school is the best short term idea. Do you have any idea how much they cost to rent for an hour?

I'd be better off just moving into a detached house though.

IF you are acoustically treating a small room you are wasting your time with foam absorbers. They do not absorb bass frequencies which is by far the biggest problem in smaller rooms (less then 2500 cubic ft). Untamed bass freqs can cause nulls up to 30db for some frequencies.

Use Owens Corning 703 or Roxul Safe n Sound (sold at home depot/lowes) to build bass trap panels. Or you can use standard pink fluffy fiberglass in its uncompressed state (but you need to use it over a larger surface area, such as 24in by 24in, due to gas flow resistivity. If using fluffy, do not compress.)

Will connecting my main speakers into a cheap subwoofer instead of straight into the soundcard distort/change the sound in anyway?
This subwoofer in particular
thomann.de/gb/swissonic_sub10.htm

I'd like to start synthesizing my drums and I'm looking for the right VSTs.
a) any general synths you can recommend for the purpose? Should be ~warm~ as all hell and still easy enough that I can run 5-10 instances. I'm looking at Charlatan, Kamiooka and Noisemaker for a start.
b) alternatively, can you recommend any flexible VST drum machines? There was one on BPB recently that I'm vaguely interested in because it doesn't emulate any specific machine, but I dunno if I'm quite sold.

Here is a handy document that contains absorption coefficient data for various materials. There is a more comprehensive doc out there, but I can't find it right now.

acoustic.ua/st/web_absorption_data_eng.pdf

If you are paranoid about this, see if you can find a circuit diagram, and see if it will bypass of all the active circuitry. I suspect it will be, and should be OK.

Personally, I solved this conundrum with a monitor controller. Besides being able to toggle the sub off and on, mono the signal at will, toggle between various pairs of speakers, and set the trim amounts so the alt speakers are all level-matched, all great features.

A monitor controller will also give you an extra layer of protection for avoiding potential disaster with incredibly HOT signals blasting out of your gear if something goes wrong. The volume pot won't let anything through beyond what its set at.

I use the presonus central station, and that costs a lot because it contains a lot of extra features, but there are cheaper options out there ranging from the mackie big knob, to the coleman audio stuff, to the incredibly cheap and simple TC electronic level pilot. I actually was forced into buying a monitor controller because my audio interface (motu 828 mk3) requires you to have one. The signals coming out of that thing would explode your monitors, they assume you will attenuate it with a monitor controller. All in all, super happy that I have one.

I avoided the SPL monitor controller because it doesn't give you trim adjustment for each monitor pair (wtf?).

I mix in my bedroom at medium volumes. Without carpet because it's very hot, humid and dusty here. There's a bed and wooden furniture around the room. Do you think it needs bass treatment?
I only have JBL305's without a woofer. But I am thinking of getting a small one

>tfw when cant compose a good melody thats completely original
Fucking kill me, piano was a mistake

At the very least, a thick pile rug would be a great addition. Bass traps and rug would be even better.

Thanks. Is there anything under 100eu here that's worth it?
thomann.de/gb/bass_absorbers.html?oa=pra

>tfw there's only a finite amount of listenable mellodies

probably a stupid question but I'm building a PC at the moment and I'd like to produce on both the PC and my mac. Anyone else do this/what kind of problems do you run into?

If money is a concern, you should seriously consider a cheap build yourself. I was able to spend 60 dollars on 6 2' foot by 3' foot owens corning 703 naked fiberglass panels (in the EU, you may have another brand that is a monopoly), and have enough leftover to purchase the cheap, shitty light weight wood to make the frame, 12 or so dollars for mounting hardware for the wall, and then the next purchase was cheap burlap-like fabric to contain the fiberglass.

This ended up being an-under 200 dollar build that got me 6 large bass traps. Buying premade panels, you would get maybe one or two for that, and sitll require mounting hardware.

gold baby 808 and the tape 808

Experiment with non-diatonic scales and chord progressions

k so last time somebody said the air horn was awkward so i had none of that shit this time and more melody, feedback would be dope as usual my dear internet friends

clyp.it/kp0p2wmz

You dont even know half of it. Im trying to get my 5/4 9 bar g minor fugue melody on point with a switch to c minor at the counter subject and honestly only half of it is sounding good. Not melody but my counterpoint is fucked too

pretty nice and cute

bumping for this one

Pretty cool progression, like the percussion at 0:30. Drop is pretty great, goes in hard. Play with reverbs on the synths early to give it a bit more of a mellow vibe, helps to automate them to give a sense of momentum into the drop.

Experiment with timbre, dynamics, transients. You don't need to come up with a totally authentic melody. There's nothing really new under the sun. As long as it sounds good and it doesn't remind you of anything else it passes the quality control imo

This sounds like it was in a high humidity environment and corroded. That would be really bad news, and could be a total replacement.

Yeah, my problem is im overly experimental because i dont want that studious sound if you know what i mean.

I know what you mean but the best way to avoid that studious sound is to learn how it works, decipher it through theory, so you can recognize it more easily and move out of its way. But you probably already did that

Yeah, my problem is really "writers block" in a sense as well as learning music as a subject being one of the worst ideas ever

Why?

Poorly paced and something i feel can be learned with ease oitside of a class. I feel music theory can be condensed with ease, however thats just me and others probs enjoyed it.

how the FUCK do i into drums. are there like drum machine vsts or something?

>are there like drum machine vsts or something?
yes, but what part of drums are you struggling with?

Drums beyond rock kits, like timpani etc

literally everything. i dont even know where to start.

Yeah there are heaps put there.
If you run FL, there is a VST called FPC, that started out my learning on synthetic drums.
Check out this indie-rock song I made, all the percussion is programmed using Addictive Drums 2.
soundcloud.com/christopherterrence-audio/actually-good

I want to make drums like this the ones in this song.

youtube.com/watch?v=DyEFIvB_9DY

clyp.it/luebsikb
I think I'm done with this

not really my style of music but the drums sound good. thanks ill check the plugin out. do you need pads to use it?

>clyp.it/luebsikb
is this a joke?

no

You don't but it's incredibly flexible.
It has hundreds of drum styles and sounds and you can route it with great manipulation.

how long have you bean making electronic music?

about 4 years

I should elaborate

I spent two years before that making pretty shitty music that's lost to time with lmms and various shit on an ipad

then I got into fl studio 4 years ago, made shitty music on that.

the next year I took a class on music production, which was fairly basic, we used mixcraft

took 4 years of music theory in high school, graduated last week

started lurking /prod/ and making decent shit last year

structure and sound design are decent. i just feel like the samples don't harmonize in any way. it feels extremely out of key.
it also doesn't help that you have banjo kazooie brass.

but i actually think that after putting some more work in it, you could do something great with this

ok can you link some of your good music then

thanks

>the two songs I'm currently proud of
soundcloud.com/milklove
>highlights from clyp, mostly messing around
clyp.it/g20fudnw
clyp.it/bxc1x3ws
clyp.it/fralrvj3
clyp.it/1k2wvlz0
clyp.it/xud1upv5

i'd like to let it be known that I don't usually make trap

>clyp.it/luebsikb

There are several problems with this. The clap is hollow and phasey sounding. The song obviously is bass dominant but it doesn't really make much use of my subwoofer other than the kick, giving the impression that it lacks power. The synth sounds are simple saw/square stuff and come off rather generic (though I don't mind the parts they play). And it sounds small in the sense that it could use more stereo widening/space/air.

Though it gets more interesting as it goes along, so your songwriting isn't bad.

>soundcloud.com/milklove

Solstice b p dope senpai

clyp.it/catgnxpx
thoughts on this? it has been sitting in my projects folder for a long time. just wanna finish it. i'll probably tweak the mix a bit so any feedback on that would be great.

>clyp.it/catgnxpx
boring been done 10000 times before

>boring been done 10000 times before
so has ur mum but that doesnt stop me or any of the other local vagrants

thanks for all that feedback, I get what you're saying
time to get some /real/ brass

thanks

clyp.it/xud1upv5 aka 'Uh' and Soulstice are great, fantastic even, but honestly user, the rest is near crap.
Did these two start from sampling or something? Just the various level of quality you go to and from really interests me so I'm wondering what your approach is, or if you have changed anything over time.

sloppy drums is real nice too actually.

what's been done before 10000 times before exactly? i know im not inventing a new genre here but is there something specific you're thinking about?

>www filedropper com/lexlugerdrumkit
I love it when people post sample packs I don't have! You're the real MVP.

In return, here's a pretty cool set of vinyl drums.
www filedropper com/vinyldrums

not him but I agree

same shit all these trill beats chill beats artist do.

Compressed punchy drums that sidechain everything else and some guitar sample.

Do something interesting

>I spent two years before that making pretty shitty music that's lost to time with lmms and various shit on an ipad
lmms is a fucking joke, why can't linux get its shit together with music production? I can't believe you still can't COPY AND PASTE FUCKING LOOPS in lmms.

The only time I've been able to make electronic music with linux is by programming the drums with hydrogen and then playing that and the synths live into ardour. No midi for synths I've ever tried works, all has to be live. Rosegarden crashes more often than drunk drivers.

After seeing the other comments posted here I was expecting to hate this but it's alright man.
Reminds of some early nineties triphop.

or yknow, tycho ripoff number 5000000000000000 (not that tycho wasnt already a ripoff)

>tycho
Never heard of him. Is he only famous in America (I'm not from there)? Mind you I don't listen to the radio anyway.

>tycho
>radio
>tycho
>famous
>tycho
>america

lol, watch adult swim

but that's how you spell rc

>lol, watch adult swim
Why would I do that. I'm a grown man in my thirties.

And yet you're on a Sup Forums board.

That's Adult Swim's target audience congratulations

is this any better? clyp.it/1nms4tp1

thanks, appreciate it

I like tycho (sorry if it's not Sup Forums-cool). i really wasnt trying to sound like him tho :S

Yeah, but adult swim isn't really the culture of the Sup Forums board.

DESU it was lazy bait, I watch shit like Rick And Morty.

there is no sounnd

adult swim plays all the Sup Forumscore

>there is no sounnd
really? works for me

Works here too.
I like it. Relaxing.

wow you must be so grown up and matyoore

nvm my bad

you have nice ideas but they quite honestly get ruined by reservation. Like I have heard this beat ten thousand times before, all the trill beat producers do this stuff, they have good ideas but then reduce them to maintain catchiness for whatever reason. Do some half time, go hard on modulation. I don't wanna hear the same shit for the 45005435983405th time.

Like yea it's not technically BAD, it has a strong melodic line and could be making you money, It's just personally boring to me.

And an example of someone making catchy music that still is very fun and interesting is Perfume or Nakata more specifically. Level 3 and Triangle are both really fun records that plays with synthesis everywhere

i like your honesty desu. i listen to a lot of stuff that you probably would find boring (teebs, mndsgn, samiyam, shigeto, that kinda shit). i know im often bad att developing my ideas to real "songs" so they end up just being "beats" (if you know what i mean). i'll work on it and check those artists out.

thanks senpai, i thought you were a dick at first but your feedback is actually pretty helpful

I like Shigeto, MNDSGN was meh, idk the other two.

Your music isn't bad, again, if you wanna make those dope beetz go for it, you'll prob get fans and money.

I just like seeing artist do interesting things. One time this guy in here made a song like yours but he had this weird sitar break down in the song, see that interest me.

>near crap
there's a reason why they aren't on soundcloud

well usually, I think of a musical idea, and try to transfer the idea to fl studio as best I can, sometimes it's good, usually it's bad, i end up never actually finishing them. I usually don't waste my time posting stuff like this. mannequins (clyp.it/g20fudnw) was that kinda deal. I came up with the little 2 bar loop in the kitchen, when I decided I was going to emulate the 90s as best as possible. it came out eh/10. It has a place in my heart though.

sometimes, I mess around with a certain sound and happen to gather the will to make something out of it. Good shit usually comes from in the moment stuff like that.
like this (clyp.it/mb2eg2pd):
I started with the sound that comes in about 40 seconds, the little vibrato synth thing, and just ran with it. at the time (1 year ago) it was the best shit I ever made. in retrospect, the bass sounds pretty trashy, but I'm not sure I have the project file nor the will to fix it.

or this: clyp.it/wks30lqh
the little pad thing was a drum sample I had fucked with. I probably should have posted this with the ones before but I never actually fixed the somewhat bad sidechain compression

for the one I posted today it was a combination. I had an idea: the motive played by a mallet percussion sounding sample that came with fl and I said "ya know what'd be cool, if I made a tnght style trap song with this" while I was listening to the loop

what I usually do on good songs is start with sound design and work vertically, and then I try to go horizontal with it, and add other stuff as it comes to me. then at the end I try to glue it all together with various non-melodic sounds, theatrical stuff. usually just white noise sweeps.

on things I recognize as bad I don't finish, and they stay loops forever. sometimes things go past my better judgement though, because I have fun making them at least.