/ag/ & /ag/: audio general & audiophile memes

This thread is for discussion of technology related to audio. In this edition there will be features describing why vinyl data discs (VDD) suck for audio playback.

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1000-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B0063NU3AA
amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1200-12-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B00669L3HS
manualslib.com/manual/562017/Aiwa-Nsx-Avh90.html?page=4#manual
youtu.be/7UIHl0oJEpg
linn.co.uk/linn-radio#
youtu.be/M2bAMdZWbog?t=14m47s
youtu.be/bRL6oH2EOrA
youtu.be/0WNCBPdetG4
routledgetextbooks.com/textbooks/9781138921368/home-theatre.php
amazon.com/gp/product/B00LM0ZGK6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ones and zeros, baby.

Attached: 1516131831925.png (125x125, 2K)

I'm looking for a cheap sub (preferably under ~$150) to pair with my LSR305, does that even exist at this price ?

Do not have time or the tools to build myself a sub right now. May go with an SVS PB 2000 and take advantage of a credit card promotion. Anyone have any thoughts on this sub or think something is better? Going to be used for both music and movies.
There are subs that are that cheap. I think you'd be better off saving up the extra 20 dollars for the 12 inch one.
amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1000-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B0063NU3AA
amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1200-12-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B00669L3HS

my vinyl record player has speakers that were part of an old surround sound set.
Is this the reason why in some songs, there is no bass parts at all, missing out entire segments and instruments from being heard?

Attached: headphone setup.jpg (3304x2195, 2.18M)

Either the built in speakers are garbage or they're only designed for high end. Anything that shakes the unit will shake the needle and potentially scratch your vinyl records.

>Power meters
God damn are they sexy

Attached: 147504661.BbtaflL3.jpg (800x371, 49K)

the vinyl player is plugged into a receiver which the speakers are plugged into
Also, the speakers seem to have gone in a mini receiver looking thing to tie all the surround sound speakers together. Do you think if I get new speakers, it will resolve my problem?

Do you have any pictures as example? Even stock ones.
>Do you think if I get new speakers
Most likely, yes.

can anyone recommend me good headphones with 200€ maximum price?

I already had and returned:
Audio Technica m50x (great sound, terrible comfort)
Sennheiser 579 (awful sound, very comfortable)

Thanks

>SVS PB 2000
I like mine, it is a really good all around sub, especially for the price.

Sennheiser HD600
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO
AKG K271 MKII
Grado Prestige SR225E

>200 euros
Open back? Closed? Regardless, I would suggest the X2s, can be gotten for 150 euros on euro amazon. Give them a shot, I like mine a lot. They're heavy so they take some time to get used to but they're pretty comfortable. Sound is great. Highs and mids are clear and defined, and they have a good bass presence. Sometimes they feel like a 2.1 setup on your head.
Anything bad to say about it?

>m50x
Sony MDR-V6
Sony MDR 7506
sennheiser hd 25-1 ii
brainwavz pads

>Anything bad to say about it?
I listen to lots of classical music and sometimes some of the lower sounds kinda smear together if there is lots going on in the composition but that isnt too often at all.

Aside from that I have no problems save the occasional movie explosion jiggling things if I have the sub volume set high and forget about it.

I found the user manual, I only have the front speakers
manualslib.com/manual/562017/Aiwa-Nsx-Avh90.html?page=4#manual

That's not what I was expecting. Speakers may be damaged, or it could be the unit itself. Hard to say, you would definitely need to test it with another set of speakers.
Thanks. Don't listen to a lot of classical, so I'm not sure if I would have that same issue.

Attached: raridade-aiwa-nsx-avh-90-completo-em-perfeito-funcionamento-D_NQ_NP_709414-MLB26385249243_112017-F.j (1200x900, 257K)

alright thanks, I'll try getting those bookshelf speakers next time I go to my local Fry's just real quick,
you see those speaker connections on the bottom right of that reciever?
I can mix up the connections by putting the wrong wire in the wrong place like, left is in right, and the problem I'm having wouldn't be because of that right?

Most people dont really listen to it, but I act like an old man despite only being thirty years old.

Don't need to be old to enjoy classical or classically inspired.
youtu.be/7UIHl0oJEpg
Yes, that would cause some problems. Make sure you have them running into the correct outputs.

Attached: connect t dots.gif (750x387, 16K)

linn.co.uk/linn-radio#

While I like that piece it is very overdone in modern media as ballroom dancing music.

Also here is a better version on youtube:
youtu.be/M2bAMdZWbog?t=14m47s

Wanted to post something else but couldn't remember the name of it. Still trying to remember it. Some piano music by one guy, three songs that all sound very similar to each other.
youtu.be/bRL6oH2EOrA

I would like really like to find that entire concerto in its full in a nice quality recording but so far no luck.

Lately I have been listening to pic related.

Attached: Carl Orff.png (672x173, 17K)

Attached: lZDVJTf.jpg (2848x2144, 580K)

>cringe blocks directly on a wood floor

Well my old pioneer receiver finally died so I need to buy a phono preamp for the new receiver I'm getting. What do you guys recommend? I've got a moving coil cartrige. Pic related is $50 so I might go with this

Attached: 41pZnqGxcFL._SY400_.jpg (500x250, 20K)

Hide your cables mane srsly

Fuck me, now I remember him.
youtu.be/0WNCBPdetG4
Budget? If it's only 50 dollars, maybe that's your best bet. I was going to suggest Ifi, but I believe that's 500 dollars.

Don't worry, pic related
There's only two of those cables left in my system now, so don't worry.

Attached: fixa-sjalvhaftande-mobeltass-set-om-__28716_PE098859_S4.jpg (500x500, 13K)

Would it be a good idea to get some fiberglass insulation and put that behind canvas paintings as wall treatments for reducing extraneous resonances or bouncing of sound?

>receiver

Attached: C9ACE99C-8993-4598-ACFA-F948BAC65E46.jpg (236x270, 15K)

Rockwool is better for your health. Get the densest possible

Okay, I mean I dont like cutting either of them but I can see how rockwool would be better for my health, I think I still have some laying around from when I built my house but its the really thick.

But the idea is viable though?

Yes, sound will penetrate the canvas and then getting absorbed. Just like a normal cloth covered absorbent, but maybe not as efficient in the higher regions.

Thats fine, I have more of an issue with bass anyway over high frequencies.

This will also be cheaper than buying premade wall treatments too I think and look better to boot.

You should maybe consider cover the backside of the painting with something to encapsulate the wool.

I was thinking of using staples to staple another canvas sheet to the back, I really dont want rockwool or fiberglass bits falling out of them.

Maybe use some double-sided tape as well to seal it.

For mid and some low frequencies mostly. But to damp this range effectively, you need larger layers of moderately dense insulation.

Maybe but the staples would be more permanent but I guess that really depends on how wide the frame is, I will know more in a month when they arrive from Poland I guess.

Im a massive noob half my shit is hand me down or thrifted. What would you call it? AV? Idk

I don't have a huge budget. Maybe $100. I don't really care about bells and whistles I just want accurate sound

use both

He's trying to mock you for using a receiver, ignore him.

May as well, any brands that have long lasting sticking power because I would like to deal with it as little as possible after its all put together.

>stone blocks
has a real trailer court signature
everything else is nice

nothing's wrong with a receiver if its good quality
also, my dad gave me a hand-me-down McIntosh amp and I just sold it for 1.5K

I've ordered a new bench, will probably get it this or next week.
Everything but the DAC has been replaced in the system, and tomorrow I will get a new DAC and amp setup.

the amp section of your receiver may be underpowered

the speakers probably do not have much bass extension

the vinyl player itself may not be full range - what kind of turntable/cartridge is it?

pic unrelated

Attached: 493full-olga-maliouk.jpg (493x716, 171K)

>that pic

Attached: DSC_6367.jpg (2000x3008, 2.51M)

Floyd Toole on home audio:

routledgetextbooks.com/textbooks/9781138921368/home-theatre.php

On a scale of 1-10 how retarded am I for thinking this setup will work?

I'm on a stupidly small budget, needing to use shit I have on hand for the most part and can't afford new speakers.

>Have PC
>Have Switch
>Want to route them both to my speakers, but it has no audio in, only a headphone jack because lolcheap logitech speakers
>Want to plug speakers in to a F2F adapter
>Want to plug a standard audio splitter in to the F2F
>Want to plug both the PC and Switch in to the splitter via standard 3.5mm

Will it work or will it be retarded? I can post links to the splitter I'm going to use

Attached: f2f.png (1920x1080, 140K)

Are the Vanatoo Transparent Zero good?

Attached: original-21-46-front---beer---no-grills.jpg (3122x2081, 407K)

can I use this to connect hifi speakers to my pc?

Attached: 20180325_211651.jpg (4032x3024, 2.44M)

No, do not use the headphones out for speakers. It won't work, they don't output enough power to be used on speakers.

not the headphone in, there is connections for speakers on the back of the amp. but i cant seem to find a 3.5mm jack for audio in.

these are what I'm getting btw
amazon.com/gp/product/B00LM0ZGK6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached: 41JGQR4TJML._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (350x350, 16K)

Oh, yes. You need RCA, you can see on the left all those inputs. Phono, tuner, Aux 1, aux 2. RCA to 3.5mm
I'm not even sure if what you're attempting to do will work, or sound good.

Attached: sa-520(1).jpg (605x199, 24K)

what is an F2F adapter
why don't you shell out $8 for a thrift store receiver and just run the PC audio to the receiver

Female to female adapter

>Vanatoo Transparent Zero
they're okay, but for $360 you could probably do better

Attached: Vantoo_Transparent_Zero_Frequency_Response.jpg (960x414, 79K)

I thought the response would be much better on stands. Any other suggestions that you could spoon feed me with? These would be maxing out my budget too.

Where are you finding receivers for $8?

thanks desu

What are some other options in the Micca MB42X range? Just want to do a little comparing before I commit.

Attached: 714wbRoNuEL._SL1280_.jpg (1280x1280, 207K)

Klipsch and Pioneer have some 200 dollar speakers that go on sale for around 100 dollars.

How about Fluance SX6W? Nice wood look.

>amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1200-12-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B00669L3HS
I have one. Good for the money but don't expect miracles. That said I have only gotten better sound for less money when I /diy/ it and use existing hardware.

if your room isn't huge you could go QAcoustics 2010i, or Wharfedale Diamond (used), or Sony SS B1000, or Music Hall Marimba

if you're paying >$300, you should expect the woofer to be larger than 4", usually at least 5 to 6 inches, depending on the make, like Monitor Audio Bronze, or KEF 100 if you like treble

used speakers less than 5 to 8 years old will last another 10 to 12 years usually if the build is good

goodwill, craigslist - usually something every week pretty much, especially near university towns

I like kef speakers quite a bit myself.

Dayton B652/B452 AIR are around the same price point. I have both. The Miccas outperform the Daytons on low power / low volume use. The Daytons outperform the Miccas at high power / high volume use. You can push a shitload of output from the Daytons and get away with no subwoofer, but the miccas work well with those $20 class T amps for the ultimate poorfag speaker setup.

they test well, and good resale value if you move on

some people hate ELAC for reasons i don't understand

Attached: G0JdfPk.jpg (1346x634, 98K)

All of Jones designs really seem to excel.

My current Vinyl system. The setup usually changes every few months.
> Rega RP1 and Ortofon 2m Red ($200 used)
> Yamaha AX330 amp (traded for some vinyl)
> Yamaha NS-144 speakers ($20 from Thrift shop)
> D-Box David 300 sub ($50 craigslist cause no grill)
The next things that's going to get changed is the amp, probably save up for a Mies i100.

> forgot pic

Attached: budget vinyl system.jpg (1498x1004, 227K)

>Changes every few months
Why.

> bargain hunting hobby
> like finding hidden gems on the cheap
The speakers started out as Minimus 7's, then got a pair of the pioneer SP22LR's at a boxing day sale, then came upon the Yamahas a couple months ago, bought them and liked them more than the Pioneers.
The sub used to be an 8", then found a cheap deal on a 12", etc, etc, etc....

Solid build. Very nice.
How does it sound?

Overall, pretty good. Much louder than the 30w/ch would lead you to believe. The sub is actually overkill, but I use it instead of the 8" because it has much lower reach.
The only issue is the phono pre in the amp isn't the greatest, getting a bit of 60hx hum no matter what I do with grounding.

but the hobby may have gotten away on me......
Even still, I'm only out a few hundred bucks.

Attached: stacks.jpg (1092x1944, 256K)

Attached: more stacks.jpg (2560x1440, 1.49M)

> might be a hoarder at this point

Attached: stacks O amps.jpg (966x1302, 205K)

i usually don't play things loud greater than 20 wpc myself

wow... really dig those old Sonys especially
noice

They were another $3 thirft store grab. Best I can tell, they were part of a portable ree-2-reel player. Had to get them just because if their looks. Real metal wire grills and trim.
They don't even sound that bad either. 4" coral/sony clone full range drivers in them.

nicest collection ive seen on here
especially your CR200

have never seen a hitachi receiver before either

Attached: 379622-yamaha_cr200_receiver.jpg (1024x716, 158K)

$3 - thats a monster deal

What am I in for?
Got em for 150 euro on sale.

Attached: x2s.png (725x310, 20K)

why the fuck do my speakers hiss

Speakers don't make hiss, amps do.
What amp/receiver are you running, and what's connected to it?

Heavy, but not uncomfortable. Tight, accurate bass, wide soundstage, good mids and highs.

insignia ns-str514 connected with rca to speaker wire

> 1009 times 2
> eurobeat youtube mp3 download is now streaming anime

yeah it was only time with this board...

Thanks i heard they were fun for movies and games too
I also got m40x for closed
what cheap amp/dac to get for them? just something better than mobo/phone nothing special since theyre both easy to drive.
is sabaj da2 any good?

>insignia ns-str514
rca to speaker wire?