ITT:

We post our favorite retro piece of tech.

Attached: 39401910-78C4-4322-92A8-CBB1FD42EF86.jpg (900x1285, 562K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steemit.com/retrocomputing/@darth-azrael/mitey-mo-commodore-64
ebay.com/itm/Morrow-Micro-Decision-CP-M-Computer-Ships-Worldwide/112715164488?hash=item1a3e58eb48:g:jg0AAOSwPGpahwBg&autorefresh=true
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: seiko.png (300x450, 261K)

Attached: appleiic.jpg (550x393, 52K)

Mitey Mo modem for Commodore 64
"Why settle for less when you can have Mo?"
steemit.com/retrocomputing/@darth-azrael/mitey-mo-commodore-64

Attached: mitey-mo.jpg (500x693, 162K)

Still smashes everything Modern today in its class. Panasonics marketing department needs to get their heads out of their asses. This should be in every kitchen in America.

Attached: 41aylkgqq-L.jpg (500x375, 30K)

I have the breville version. It basically does the same thing. I figure you're paying more for a nicer enclosure and better controls.
One of the most used appliances in my kitchen.
I've even baked a wedding cake in it.

Is that a toaster oven? The kind I see in stores are almost always the kind with just a timer and thermostat dial.

Nostalgic

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 3.10.24 PM.png (920x1264, 1.35M)

So many happy memories.

Attached: 1200px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg (1200x882, 136K)

Morrow Micro Decision. This was what they called a "turnkey" computer designed for noobs who just wanted to type letters and things like that. Super-basic Z80 architecture with a terminal for display/input and CP/M as the OS, and it came bundled with a lot of office software.

It had single sided 180k floppies and the included terminal was a Lear-Siegler, which had a kind of shitty keyboard, but you could buy it without and use any dumb serial terminal. The machine had two RS-232 ports--one for the terminal and the other for a printer/modem. One inconvenience was that the RS-232 port had DIP switches for setting the baud and whatnot which were inside the case and you'd have to pull the cover off any time you wanted to change them. The floppy access was described as "extremely fast" compared to most micros of the time.

Such machines were pretty boring and limited in their usability, and they were soon replaced by PC compatibles.

Attached: morrowmd1running.jpg (607x600, 90K)

>ad showing suited business stiff in an office typing on an Atari 800
Ha ha, yeah right. That's not what you bought an Atari 800 for.

Attached: NEC monitor advertisement 1981.jpg (484x646, 104K)

I keep forgetting how everything in the early 80s still looked like the 70s and that Miami Vice neon vaporwave look wasn't around yet in 1981.

Yeah still lots of brown and other muted colors everywhere.

Attached: Heavy Metal (1981).jpg (601x800, 139K)

+ TurboTape

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (3000x3000, 2.25M)

Attached: heidelbergelectricbelt.jpg (483x640, 221K)

I come to you from America where we always had disk drives on our C64s and such chicanery was unknown.

ebay.com/itm/Morrow-Micro-Decision-CP-M-Computer-Ships-Worldwide/112715164488?hash=item1a3e58eb48:g:jg0AAOSwPGpahwBg&autorefresh=true

Here's a nice one (although not at that price). The terminal is newer than the computer and looks more late 80s-early 90s. No disks included but it's apparently in working condition.

Get a 720k Gotek and write your own CP/M BIOS to support the disk format. Fun.

Way back in the 1990s when I was in grade school, we had a computer lab full of various Apple Macintosh computers. I remember that they had Power Macs, but I can't remember what specific model or the exact version of Mac OS that they were running. When I was in middle school the computer labs were full of Windows machines and my dad purchased an NEC desktop as the family computer. I didn't like Windows at the time because I found it to be clunky and unreliable, but that changed when I was in high school and I realized that PC games were really cool. If it weren't for Starcraft, Unreal Tournament, and Half-Life 2 I'd probably be a Macfag.

Attached: macssh.jpg (1632x1224, 832K)

>he thinks pre-OS X Mac OSes were stable
Enjoy your zero memory protection, sucker.

I know a lot of ppl are going to flak this, but I really liked the zip drive. It was sooo fast compared to CD-RW and floppies and LS-120. I also liked how it snaps into the drive like 3.5" floppies.
Too bad about the click of death thing. Nowadays ppl would probably call it out for the amount of plastic used in its manufacture.

Attached: Internal_zip_drive_inside_computer.jpg (640x480, 111K)

That was based on my experience as a kid playing with encyclopedia CD-ROMs and writing documents in ClarisWorks. The Apple machines didn't freeze on me like my dad's bargain bin Windows shitbox.

Zip drives were a failed idea because the rotation speed was so high that it would shear the magnetic media off the disk surface.

I remember this!!

How were the Gameboys? The first Nintendo handheld I had was the Gameboy Advance, and before that I had a Sega GameGear. I've only very briefly had the chance to play any Gameboy games and they all felt really dated, similar to NES games.

The games felt very basic even back then and the screens were tiny, but a Game Boy didn't self destruct when your batteries got low like the Game Gear did so it was much more popular.

Honestly, the Game Gear would be pretty dated today as well due to the lack of saving that was annoying even back then since it just resulted in you playing the same parts of the game over and over again. I just used my Game Gear in my family's car with a lighter socket adapter since we lived in a rural area where 1/2 hour+ drives were a weekly occurrence so batteries were never much of an issue.

When my cousin was in high school in the early 80s, the guy in charge of the computer lab asked him what machines he'd recommend. He said that IBM PCs were the best choice, and after that perhaps Atari 8-bits might be good as well. The computer lab's budget would have allowed roughly four IBM PCs or eight Atari 800XLs depending on the peripherals they got with them.

When he came back to school the next fall, he found that they'd instead bought three Victor 9000s. Bad idea. The things had little software available and what there was was expensive, and they had a floppy format that nothing else on the planet could read, nor were they particularly reliable. The things ended up being dumped within a year after basically sitting around in the lab gathering dust.

When will transparent tech ever make a comeback?

Victor 9000s were an 8086 box that offered a lot of pluses over an IBM PC, including redefinable characters in text mode and up to 896k of memory, and floppies that held either 1.2 or 2.4MB depending on whether you got single or double sided drives (they used a funny variable speed format). What's more, they cost roughly the same as an IBM PC. But with no software support of significance, they weren't going to go much of anywhere.

Attached: victor9000s.jpg (1200x900, 308K)

What, you never got the bomb dialog with restart being the only option?

No but I saw plenty of illegal operations on Windows 98

Its not the same as a regular toaster oven that just heats up to a preset temperature. it uses a heatlamp to cook which heats up faster and makes the best toast even made on earth. The use of light to cook is just an nceribly pracical way to cook, broil bake anything. There is nothing else on earth like this oven and it is like 25+ years old

So it's a glorified easy bake oven for adults?

The Breville IS the nicer version son, its just the Breville still uses heat oven tech to cook which is inferior to the panny flash light oven tech.

Nicer enclosure? Are you kiddin me? The panny looks like it walked off the Alien (1979) set of the bridge.
The Breville looks like it was made by smeone with actual taste.

Attached: R0rGJej.png (1283x853, 860K)

Its $100 from the Panasonic website. Try toasting a bagel or some naan faggot and then give me the easy bake oven smartass line. Its revolutionary awesome and you will use it the rest of your life.

Attached: 1522001921325.jpg (634x539, 71K)

Attached: 1522002039329.jpg (627x444, 71K)

This thing spared me 1000s+ hours boredom travelling with my family across USA and Europe.

Absolutely bombproof. Hella power efficient considerng it ACTUALLY had moving parts. Still sounded great and it STILL works today 22 years later.

Attached: Rare-Sony-Discman-Esp2-Sports-Blue-Portable-Cd.jpg (400x300, 24K)

Attached: 1522002050115.jpg (793x475, 169K)

me on the right

Attached: 275083906_29c25a127c_b.jpg (1024x683, 562K)

Would it be possible to make a Zip-drive with slower speed, designed for making backups of zips?

They did. Jaz, Orb, SyJet, SparQ, and Rev drives

Attached: Jupiter-ACE_small_system_(modified).jpg (220x276, 24K)

Those were all hard disk cartridges though, way faster spin rate and different technology.

After 28 years I still drooling over this mighty little blue box.

Attached: indigo_front_1.jpg (954x1280, 216K)