Pick my poison

Today I have to decide on the uni and branch I am going to study. I should be in a good spot - my highschool grades are excellent, they will take me without entry exams wherever I apply - but instead I feel completely overwhelmed by all the options.
It is basically decided that I'm gonna study EE/CE on one of the two decent STEM unis in the country as I can't afford to go abroad. But even with this set, there's still a fuckload of individual programmes to choose from and I am way too anxious of potentially making the wrong choice.

Should I go for a more theoretical or practical approach?
How close to the hardware should I get?
Choose-the-ideal-development-board level?
Lay-out-your-own-board level?
Design-your-own-microcontroler level?
How to start a business and not end up a wage slave?

Tell me what you have studied and how it turned out. I can really appreciate anything to push me this stale state into any direction.

Attached: the_game.png (768x960, 597K)

Other urls found in this thread:

politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2013/aug/11/ron-johnson/average-college-degree-takes-six-years-us-sen-ron-/
vutbr.cz/en/students/programmes/branch/12340
vutbr.cz/en/students/programmes/branch/12338
vutbr.cz/en/students/programmes/branch/12339
ingreso.frba.utn.edu.ar/up/docs/electronica.pdf
uba.ar/download/academicos/carreras/ingenieriaelectronica.pdf
electron.frba.utn.edu.ar/electivas.php
vutbr.cz/en/students/programmes/branch/11567
ek.fel.cvut.cz/en/about/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't. After graduating college you'll be paying $100,000 - $300,000 and possibly have to work at mcdonalds. College is a scam now.

who cares

Become self employed (ie through certs) and get a $100,000 - $300,000 house mortgage instead. Then sell your home and retire somewhere nicem

I won't pay anything. College is free where I live and food&rent will be paid for by parents.

How free? 100%?

Because it now takes 6 years to finish a BA.

politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2013/aug/11/ron-johnson/average-college-degree-takes-six-years-us-sen-ron-/

Here in Europistan, it's gonna take 3 years for bachelor and then 2-3 for master. The state owns the uni and attending it is completely free. If I wanted to attend a second uni after I finish (which I absolutely don't), then I would have to pay.

Must be a catch somewhere, nothing is "free".

Its not free, its paid for with taxes.

The catch is that tax payers have to pay for all the little Muslim immigrant kids to get "educated" so that the native population can be outbred and unemployed. Leftists love to pay for programs that are unsustainable, anything less would be racist!

holy shit

Attached: Income_Tax_Germany_2010.png (3925x3100, 109K)

vutbr.cz/en/students/programmes/branch/12340
vutbr.cz/en/students/programmes/branch/12338
vutbr.cz/en/students/programmes/branch/12339

Here have some examples. Three branches, same faculty, all very close together. Which would you pick and why?

I'd probably pick between 2 and 3 only because 1 will basically enslave you to nonfree garbage for life. also "industry 4.0" is a fake news lie.

Radiosystems.

People are always wanting faster and faster networks

i am an telecom tech

Rate my EE course: ingreso.frba.utn.edu.ar/up/docs/electronica.pdf

sorry it's only in spic.

>similar tax rate here in Canadistan (something like 55% after 300k)
>20k tuition

>Inglés
subtle jej

shouldnt this be a linear/quadratic graph instead of this shit
>earn 5k, tax 0%, get 5k€
>earn 5001@, tax 15%, get 4251€
thats pretty fucked

ikr. it's mostly about vocabulary concerning the other courses, I'll give it a read or two and just do the exam without attending these classes.
it's useful to raise a bit the GPA, lol.

The rate basically always applies to the diff between g brackets

Also this is what I mentioned in OP and what bugs me. Following texts are taken from two programmes on the two concurrent schools.

Though the bachelor’s program is not a target by itself, due to the demanding character it serves perfectly as a selection of talented and creative students. They can easily orient themselves in any technical sphere.

A strong practical orientation of study enables direct engagement of graduates into production, operation or service processes and provides them with a good background to increase their theoretical knowledge in the follow-up master’s degree programme.

Where is the truth here? Theoretical or practical approach?

You can make the decision about specializing later in the course. In the beginning you should take basic courses (they are useful no matter which specialization you take) and test out which ones you enjoy more. If you're interested in taking ones that will pay you more, you can look at job listings in your area.

The fact that you're thinking about all these things tells me that you'll probably do well no matter what you pick. I didn't have a fucking clue at your stage. Good luck, user!

A bachelor degree will be relatively basic either way, so you will have time to consider specialization in a master degree or taking a second bachelor degree later. For example in your level tier, you can forget about "Design-your-own-microcontroler level" in a bachelor degree. Microelectronics is master degree level and requires a prerequisite basic electronic knowledge that you gain in the bachelor degree.

That's what I personally did. Studies electronic engineering as a bachelor degree and is now about to finish my masters in microelectronics. There's also a wide level of choice within the master degree. I could choose to specialize in analog design, or digital design, and within the latter I could choose between for example microcontroller firmware or digital IC design or FPGA firmware. You can also take individual courses on the side to get more knowledge about topics not strictly related but that you feel will either be fun or help you get a job in a different field later if you want. For example I took a course in machine learning.

So basically I would just apply for either electrical engineering or computer engineering bachelor, depending on which seem more interesting, and then just know that you are free to steer towards more specialized fields later. You'll have to learn the basics first anyway.

you should go full with theoretical, practicals degrees are, almost always, an utterly shit (and you can always learn the practice by yourself anyway)
2/10 it only has 2 semester of mathematics. even the uba has better courses
uba.ar/download/academicos/carreras/ingenieriaelectronica.pdf

If you are already decided on academia take the theoretical approach.
However, keep in mind that you are the one that makes your degree and all the stuff you research on your own, this will be proven when the time for preparing a thesis comes.
I feel that, at least in my case, I should make good use of everything I'll be taught but also I should go for that extra mile (or a lot of them) to make a profile for myself based on my interests.

I'm going with EE as shown here and unfortunately while the college, the program are pretty good by themselves, I kinda lack a lot of options regarding electives: electron.frba.utn.edu.ar/electivas.php
Thankfully, by some weird resolution I'm allowed to take classes from any uni in the country if I have the requirements to do so, so it's likely that I'll do some electives in my uni and perhaps one or two from another one.

tl;dr don't expect everything to be given on a silverplate, move your ass towards your interests and goals, after you're done with your bachelor you can always find a masters program more akin to your interests.

Good luck.

that's not how it works

>earn 5K, tax 0%, get 5k
>earn 5100, tax 15% on earnings above 5k, get 5085

What's wrong with physics :(

t. physics neet

>earn between 5000 and 5882€
>at least i get more money than those 5000 poorfags haha

i lold at OP pic

it is accurate.

>Must be a catch somewhere, nothing is "free".
No catches in most countries.
If you're poor you can get up to around 600€/month and no inscription fees.

No wonder why americans are so afraid of our high tax rates.
Your pay falls into certain brackets and the rate is different within those brackets.
I pay about 35% of my overall income in tax.
If I were making less money, I would pay less taxes, but I wouldn't have more money.

not an american, just pointing out it should increase gradually so that the money you actually get increases constantly instead of vertical lines on the graph
now read my post again and tell me if you'd rather earn 5000 or 5001€

The catch is 20% higher income tax and 20% sales tax.

We have a thing called a "standard deductible" which used to be 6k but is now 12k. So that gets taken right off the top of your "taxable income" along with any other deductions like children, student loan interest, etc. So if one bracket starts at 30k and the next one is at 50k, and you grossed 55k that year, because of the standard deduction, your actual taxable income is 38k, so you fall into the 30k bracket. This is horribly simplified but that's basically how it works so that you have to be way the fuck up in a bracket to actually get charged the tax rate for it. If you're $50 into the next bracket, because of deductions, you still only get charged the lower tax rate.

say you earn 12k a year
do you literally get nothing then?
also what is the point of brackets
why not just a function you throw the number in and it returns the amount of money you actually get
seems way too fucking complicated to me

>
>say you earn 12k a year
>do you literally get nothing then?
In that case you would pay nothing

>say you earn 12k a year
>do you literally get nothing then?
You'd pay no taxes and could potentially get some extra money if you have children or other dependents.

>also what is the point of brackets
Less math, remember, all this shit was before calculators were a thing. So what's easier?

>30-50k is 32%
>51-70k is 40%

Or
>user made $33,542.29
>okay that's a 28.809% tax rate...

>why not just a function you throw the number in and it returns the amount of money you actually get
Most plebs don't understand algebra

Fuck off Sup Forums

>can't cope with facts better call him a racist

but now we have calculators
>they didnt have medicine in the 1300's so why should we use it now
what seems retarded to me is that in some cases, earning more money actually results in you getting less money

you answered your own question, in my opinion, with two of your own points:
> studies useless shit like quarks
> actually makes a difference in the world
my pick is engineering - much more jobs and job flexibility imo.

>earning more money actually results in you getting less money
It literally never does, that's what I just fucking explained to you.
>So if one bracket starts at 30k and the next one is at 50k, and you grossed 55k that year, because of the standard deduction, your actual taxable income is 38k, so you fall into the 30k bracket

To actually pay the rate of the "50k" bracket, you would need to make a minimum of 62k a year.

what if you earn 61.99k
minus 12k is 49.99k
the 30-50k bracket is 32%, you get 33.99k

earn 62k
minus 12k is 50k
that falls in the 40% bracket, you get 30k

laffin at 52-56.66k poorfags

wait thats 62-68.65k

Not everyone studies feminist dance therapy. As a general rule, if your degree is a BA rather than a BSc or BEng (and your uni isn't one of the weird traditional ones where everything is a BA), you fucked up.

Because the actual tax brackets in the US for the middle class is ~38k-98k and if you go into the 99k+ bracket, you only pay that tax rate on the money you make after 98K.

2 if you want to do more EE shit, 3 if you want more CE shit. 3 sounds good because it mentioned signals shit also, which is good, but also gives you experience with FPGAs and the like.

I never even considered pure science for my uni studies and I grabbed the pic from google just before posting. But yeah, the meme seems to fit perfectly here.

My average federal tax is 35% in US. Pretty high but get shitty infrastructure and benefits.

wtf i love the US now

Alright, OP here, I am applying to these two:
vutbr.cz/en/students/programmes/branch/11567
ek.fel.cvut.cz/en/about/

As anons have pointed out, there really are no mistakes to be made at this point and I just needed some convincing in this thought. Thank you for pushing me in the right direction.

czech my dubs

czeched

if you read the chart, income between 0-5k is not taxed at all.
Income between 5k-10k is taxed at 15%
Income between 10k-50k is taxed at 24%
Income between 50k-250k is taxed at 42%
Income above 250k is taxed at 45%
There is no way to get less money by making more.