PIN and chip technology

>get new credit card
>it has one of those "chips" europoors on Sup Forums keep raving about
>go to mcdonalds
>order two mcdoubles, a mcchicken, 20 chicken nuggets, 2 large fries, and a mcflurry
>attempt to slide the chip
>"you have to insert it in the slot underneath, sir"
>the slot takes 30 seconds to find
>60 more seconds for it to "verify"
>beeps when it's done
>go deaf from beeping
>by the time I get to a table, my food is cold and a random shooter has gunned down everyone in the restaurant
>have to tip the shooter
>he only accepts credit cards
>"you have to insert it in the slot underneath, sir"
>get shot because I can't find the slot in time
>now $130k in debt from hospital bills

How the fuck is this better?

Attached: chip-and-pin-reader.jpg (5616x3154, 192K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/story/bitcoin-drug-deals-silk-road-blockchain/
usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/global/support-legal/documents/visa-usa-interchange-reimbursement-fees-2017-april.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if it takes you 30 seconds to find and insert it then you have amerifat hands retard

Attached: showazusathemoney.jpg (1280x720, 54K)

>tap phone against machine
>payment accepted
wow that was hard

You're not a very smart man, are you.
And if you got shot without being responsible, sue the man that shot you, the establishment that didn't protect you even though you were in their premise, and get rich.

The oldest humanity story:
old people facing technology

Thanks for the laugh, OP. I had a chuckle. These fellas are taking the bait way too hard.

>what is contactless payment

Attached: Contactless.jpg (300x200, 36K)

The chips in my card keep breaking. Never had one last more than 2 weeks. Noticed the bank charges me $25 for a new card with a chip. SO FUCK THE CHIPS

>>the slot takes 30 seconds to find
more seconds for it to "verify"

it's your problem if you live in a shit outdated country, in europe it takes less than a second

yah, you need to have autism in the network if it takes longer than 2 seconds

How in the hell are you breaking them? What are you doing, slamming the card into the machine at full force like a retard?

>taking out your card when you can just take out your phone

Attached: Mobile-wallet-android-pay-NFC.jpg (450x250, 40K)

Enjoy being pirated.

>whole rest of the world has had cards with chips on them for over a decade and it works fine
>americans can't wrap their heads around it

not surprised considering you guys can't even tie your shoes properly

>pirated
You meant "copied"?

>not ordering in the app before you even enter the store

No pirated.

>get cash
>buy 20 chicken nuggets
>pay cash
>done

TAKING THE BAIT

>I replied to everyone I don't know what to do now

I would love to pay with my phone if it didn't involve opening some stupid app.

AFAIK that's still not possible in 2018?

Apple wallet can be used from any screen on the phone. Heck, if you're so inclined, you can enable access to your Apple wallet from the lock screen using pin/fingerprint authorization, without so much as turning on the screen (sensing the nearby payment system turns the screen on and prompts for authorization automatically).

Too bad you're probably a retarded fandroid who lets zuckweenie read your text messages.

>Be American
>Forget what a slot is for 30 seconds
>Get shot

Attached: 1516715074968.jpg (390x470, 115K)

>Be American
>Can't figure out payment processing.
>Shoot the payment processing machine and the teller, and leave with your free KFC
ftfy

Apple wallet doesn't work on public transportation.
Apple wallet doesn't work with car sharing.
I rather pay directly with my bank accounts.

If I only needed one chip it wouldn't be an issue: I can stick a card in my phone cover.
But I have 3 bank cards, 2 public transport cards and 2 car sharing cards.
I just want an easy way to use them all without having to search for the right card or open the right app.

I hate technology too.

I don't hate technology.
I just think the right app should launch when it detect a card reader.

(You)
there you go

>get born in Russia
>birth of jew lord + 2k18
>get new debit card two years ago
>it has one of those "chips" europoors on Sup Forums keep raving about
>go to Aшaн
>order few "Кaждый дeнь" products because I am poor neet and they are good enough
>do not attempt to slide the chip because I am not ameretard
>the slot takes 1 second to find
>6 more seconds for it to "verify"
>gently beeps when it's done
>still get shot by Eвcюкoв because entire population is unarmed

>shiting on a last decade technology like it's something new
Here in Europe we use contactless now
>go to McDonalds
>order my tendies
>place my wallet next to the card reader for one second and go
We never have to get the card from the wallet, we can pay with the wallet
This is living in the future

How do i get that cool leaf user

By sliding the chip.

Come to Canada, we give them out for free with citizenship status, which can be attained by asking nicely, and offering a quart of maple syrup.

>We never have to get the card from the wallet, we can pay with the wallet

If you have exactly one (1) wireless card in your wallet.
Otherwise it just spergs out.

This, unironically. It is also more secure than using your card.

>shitting on a months old copypasta like it's something new.

>It is also more secure than using your card.
Since when? Is it bait?

>more secure than using your card.

More secure than swiping.
Less secure than chips.

>Swipe card
>Takes 3 seconds and done

>Insert chip
>Wait
>Wait
>Wait
>Ok done

What's the point? If using a debit card you hit Credit and don't need a pin number anyway. And credit cards don't ask

allowing 3rd parties access to your debit card details and opening an always on NFC / short range wireless payment system is more secure than swiping a card ?

The more you know

Attached: gambar-4-594d66188ce7f524910e3df2.jpg (700x525, 52K)

I'm more worried about mega corporations with more resources than me, than a fucking skimmer that only works on ABMs that I don't use anyways, and could counter by simply not being a stupid faggot and skimming my hand along the ceiling of the ABM module before I use it

>allowing 3rd parties access to your debit card details

None of those details are sensitive.
All they get to know is which bank I use.

>and opening an always on NFC / short range wireless payment system

This is a small concern.
But they can only withdraw a small amount before needing the PIN.
And the stolen money has to be transferred to a bank account, making it quite easy to catch the thieves.

>more secure than swiping a card ?
>What's the point

Swiping is extremely unsafe.
Criminals were stealing billions per year by copying magnetic strips.
That's why banks had to step in and get rid of them.

At least in the case of Google Pay, it doesn't transmit your actual card details. It uses a secondary number different to your card. The transaction is also tagged with a one time use key. None of this is transmitted unless your phone is unlocked and the app is open.

the same banks that recommend IBM Trusteer, and demand that you go spend 100$ to have a technician "reset" your iPhone because they actually think an iOS app hijacked your banking details from *their* mobile banking app?

Yeah Ok

You can’t skim Apple Pay/Android Pay payments because they use temporary keys each time and don’t tell the POS terminal cardholder’s name.

no, you can't skim them cause they don't work on ATMs you dumbass

>skimmer that only works on ABMs that I don't use anyways

They work on all machines.
Even inside shops.

They would break in at night, replace the shops PIN machines with identical hacked versions.

>skimming my hand along the ceiling of the ABM module before I use it

A) as if you'd actually do that
B) what do you expect to detect? - the skimming devices are very sophisticated and they keep coming up with new versions (here is one that doesn't even use a camera)

Attached: Skimming.png (464x300, 64K)

>what is NFC enabled ATMs
t. retard

>implying your phone is secure

I can't believe so many people fell for this. Thanks for the keks, OP. I love you.

Attached: 1506495526602.jpg (600x765, 31K)

I have no idea what you're talking about.
I don't live in the 3rd world.

>implying shitty cards are any more secure

Phones are less secure than chips because they can be programmed.
You could be infected with malware.
Or your app might have a security flaw.

Especially fucking iPhones I wouldn't trust with any level of security.

Attached: ooooooh-dear.gif (712x436, 1.48M)

This thread is full of bait. The only thing it’s missing is some faggot who claims it’s good to open multiple credit cards at once, racking up those cards to the credit limit and only paying the minimum on each.

I don’t like the idea of contactless payment. Chips make more sense.

Nah. I don’t trust phones to be that secure.

>receive notification about a purchase I didn't make
>open the card's app on my phone and see the transaction
>start a fraud investigation with the click of a button
>transaction canceled and refunded within minutes
>no human interaction needed
>pay nothing for any of this because the credit card processor is a VC-backed company that can barely turn in a profit and still please investors

why are you still not paying everything with credit cards?

>barely turn in a profit and still please investors

suuuuuuuuuuure......

>not having it set to auto order

>be amerifat
>have heart attack
>paramedics come over
>have to pay before I get transported to hospital
>"you have to insert your CC in the slot underneath, sir"
>die trying to find the slot

Nope, not doing anything unusual. These things are way too fragile if they cant handle bieng in a wallet.

They are not connected to the Internet. Are you thick?

Agreed. Why do they have to make transactions take longer? I just took a hole punch to the chip, and slide the card. If they say I can't slide the card, I just leave the things at the register and walk out.

Attached: 1363820749301.jpg (492x600, 109K)

Amerifat here, shit takes 30 seconds at most

Compared to 10 seconds for sliding the card, or paying cash.

I said at most. I pay my unisexual hair stylist his $16 (blus tib) takes 10; Costco is about the same. Chinese market I go to for my vegetables takes about the same time. Where the fuck do you live

>paying cash
Because going to an ATM machine is fast.

If you get cash for at least a couple weeks of transactions, then yes, it is. Your point?

Attached: 1378529469466.jpg (400x348, 14K)

I'd rather slide than have to put it in the slot because the slot takes up to 15 seconds for some reason but sliding is 2 seconds

I understand you're probably 15 or something, but you don't have to go to the ATM in between each transaction. You go there once every 2-3 weeks, and get enough cash to last for a while. The time you spend at the ATM will be far less than the time you'll spend waiting for a stupid chip card to process for the same 2-3 weeks.

Attached: 1378530590179.gif (500x288, 482K)

Looks like we have a real bad boy ITT.

It took me 1 second only to pay with my cards. Do the math user. Grabbing cash at ATM if for old people.

>ITT: Autists sperging about 10-30 more seconds they have to spend in the presence of another human bean

We barely accept NFC in the US, a lot of big box stores like Walmart and CVS have intentionally disabled it, medium and small stores usually don't have it either. Unless you have a Samsung Phone with MST (emulates the magswipe but tokenizes the data) it's pretty hard to reliably use contactless payment in the US.

you don't pay anything with banks like Citi, Bank of america, amex, etc. that make tons of money too, that's just common with credit cards

Costco around me is usually about 4 seconds, their readers are pretty fast. Standalone readers are slow, especially if the store is using dial-up so they are exempt from PCI DSS compliance audits.

thats really not a good idea. just think about how this would need to be implemented, the assumptions youd need tomake, and how it could be exploited

Americans value our time. One of the big things nowadays is online ordering. I live 5 minutes from my Dunkin' Donuts. I submit my coffee and bagel order when at home and it puts it in queue. When I get three minutes away I press the "I'm ready" button and it prints out my order at the store. By the time I park and walk in the order has either just been put on the rack of to go orders or comes out in 30 seconds or less, rather than having to wait in line to pay, and then wait several minutes to prepare it.

Also, at most stores you're not the only person queued for the cashier - so debit/credit payment processing delays impact every person ahead of you, which means you wait even longer in the line.

>Especially fucking iPhones I wouldn't trust with any level of security.
t. androjeet with no security updates

>just think about how this would need to be implemented

Machine says:
>Hi, I am a public transport machine
Phone goes:
>Cool, let me open public transport app real fast and ask my owner if this is a business or personal trip.

ATM goes:
>Hi, I am an ATM
Phone goes:
>Cool, let me open the banking app and ask my owner which bank account he wants to use.

android security updates are pretty reliable on flagships from major manufacturers like samsung. the problem is how long OS updates take, but Treble will fix that in the next year or so (unfortunately, it doesn't apply to the S8 because Treble is only a requirement for devices that first ship with oreo)

I only know about McDonald's.

But there the cashier machines are slow as fuck with pointless animations and loads of extra questions to trick you into ordering more.
Paying is by far the smallest part of the ordering process.

But at least there has never been a queue at my McD's.

McDs now has a mobile app in the US where you can save your orders and do the same thing as Dunkin which is convenient if you have favorite orders, because you can just tap to re-order a six piece chicken nugget meal with fries and a coke and honey mustard sauce, and it'll charge your credit card.

I was at the North Terminal of Detroit airport recently (the non-delta one) and the line was a good 20 people long, the app saved my bacon on having time to get food before my flight.

>not being served by young slave whores in ancient greece that have to guess your every need before you can even think about it

What if one is tried of grapes?

>go to mcd
>order in 2 minutes using the touchscreen because niggers get orders wrong
>hold my card to the reader, in 2 seconds its paid
>have tons of time left before my order is finished

>he still pays with plastic
>eating at mcdonalds

>young people adopting botnet technologies without considering their implications
everything is more expensive because visa and the banks are taking a cut now

>pays with plastic
>also eats plastic

At least hes consistent

You're cute. Thinking that money is cheaper than crad. Things are changing user. Soon, very soon, you'll be taxed for using old technology.

credit card companies take a much bigger cut than banks.

there are costs to handling cash as well. merchant fees are getting lower and lower, the banks make the overwhelming majority of their money off people who carry balances from month to month and pay 20%+ APR on their shit

>tired of grapes
literally no one ever has been

only urban city-dwellers, the slaves, will be so impacted

the distinction is basically moot when their ownership overlaps as much as they do

How the fuck did this old bait work so well this time?

What has changed?

Attached: pmtls.png (412x995, 40K)

Why do Jews keep doing this to make goyim pay using cards, which gives Jews 2.7% in fees from every single transaction vs 0% if same payment was made in cash?

>criminal/useless
Nice try, fiatkike

because good credit cards give you 2-5% of that back in the form of cashback, purchase protection (accidental damage / extended warranties for free), etc.

when idiots carry balances they make shitloads of money, but the "deadbeats" who pay their bill in full each month, they make little to no money on.

I guess there is still enough competition among banks to continue giving "deadbeats" cashback benefits. Here, you only get >1% cashback if you carry a balance. 1% is the maximum you can get without carrying a balance.

Also, card issuers push the cost of card rewards onto merchants. Merchants get charged extra 1~3% on top of ~2.7% transaction fee if when customers use a "rewards card."

please, it's a speculative commodity, the transaction cost and processing time are insane, by the time the transaction settles the actual value of the transaction in USD can be totally different.

the fact that transactions are part of the blockchain also eliminates individual privacy it's easy for people to find out that wallet address A is a coffee shop, B is a sex toy store, C is a guy selling drugs. Follow someone's purchase history enough and you can find out who they are.
wired.com/story/bitcoin-drug-deals-silk-road-blockchain/
>Your Sloppy Bitcoin Drug Deals Will Haunt You for Years

plus the fact that US and other governments consider it a commodity and that means you owe capital gains/losses whenever exchanging it out for USD, which means any store that doesn't hold on to their bitcoin for a year is subject to short term capital gains of 10-40% in the US, utterly killing cryptocurrency at retail

>I guess there is still enough competition among banks to continue giving "deadbeats" cashback benefits
exactly

>Here, you only get >1% cashback if you carry a balance. 1% is the maximum you can get without carrying a balance.
US credit cards almost always (except for shit cards for people with really fucked up credit, unpaid prior credit cards) offer the ability to pay in full each month to avoid interest (the grace period). rewards are the same regardless.

I have a credit card with no annual fee or requirement to carry a balance that gives me 2% cashback and then I have credit cards that give me 3-5% on categories (I have one card that gives me 4% cashback at any restaurant including bars, and another that gives me 5% at any gas station).

>Also, card issuers push the cost of card rewards onto merchants. Merchants get charged extra 1~3% on top of ~2.7% transaction fee if when customers use a "rewards card."
utterly incorrect
usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/global/support-legal/documents/visa-usa-interchange-reimbursement-fees-2017-april.pdf
for instance, interchange fees charged to the merchant's bank are capped at 1.15% of transaction + 15 cents for a maximum of 95 cents per gasoline pump credit card transaction (capped). it depends on the category of merchant.

amex used to be 4% plus in the states, but the market is much more competitive now, and the average that Amex charges (as a card with a higher rate than visa or mastercard) is 2.37%.

the 3.7% to 5.7% you quote is basically impossible unless the merchant signs up with a shitty acquirer who uses it as a way to pay for the equipment rental (card reader) or just rape their customers