I can't tell you what the best Linux distro is, but I can tell you the worst

I can't tell you what the best Linux distro is, but I can tell you the worst.

Attached: 3491718.jpg (400x400, 14K)

go on

> be autist
> Use Linux
> Think you cool

Linfags 2%

Is it Debian-based?

Ubuntu isn't that bad. It's good for noobs and it ubuntu devs usually contribute to debian.

Ubuntu is just fine if you do a minimal install and avoid all the amazon bullshit.

Ubuntu isn't the worst, but it's pretty bad. Slackware is worse for sure.

Gentoo?

Wrong, pic related.

Attached: 1485281665513.jpg (1200x801, 208K)

Attached: distro_comparison.png (631x300, 139K)

I agree, I also hate when I actually have access to the packages I need and all of my hardware functions.

M'fedora

But user, that IS Ubuntu.

This order makes no sense whatsoever.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1428515097105.jpg (900x1352, 338K)

manjaro is literally arch for people who arent neets, but want pacman and aur

>tfw Linux install is easier and faster than Windows install
>tfw Linux can run Windows software/games
>tfw some Distros don't require any user intervention
>tfw distros start getting a software store that is literally the same as for Mac.

The only reason in 2018 to not use Linux is being gay.

>>tfw Linux install is easier and faster than Windows install
I've installed more than a few Linux distros and reinstalled windows multiple times, and I can tell you that windows install is half the time.

Then you are doing something wrong clearly.

Arch Linux install with some DE/WM takes at most 10 minutes. A fresh install on an empty drive that is.

On Linux (rolling release) any update should never take more than 2 minutes.

Debian - best binary distro
Gentoo - best source distro
Ubuntu - best beginner distro
Arch - good but not as good as gentoo for a customizable distro
OpenSUSE/Fedora - worse versions of Ubuntu
Mint/Manjaro - glaring security issues

Ubuntu is the best distro if you just want to work and dont care about bloat.
It just werkz, also you can do everything on Ubuntu as any other distro but you people are stupid and actually believe there is a big difference between distros kek

So which is it?
Stop teasing us!

How much bloat are we talking about here?

not that much, if you remove amazon shit (i'ts very easy)
Unity is just little more heavy on resources than gnome 3, actually a little faster than PLASMA (but not as pretty)

>Ubuntu - best beginner distro
Somehow, I think that's about to change (which is sad imho). 18.04 foot cancer looks very inconsistent and not very user friendly. I don't expect anyone will be sticking with it. :(

I'll just use MATE.

Lying nigger. Getting fresh installation of Windows 10 LTSB including updates takes TIMES longer than installing any Linux distro.

Attached: 1520333174902.gif (356x200, 264K)

Wait until 18.04 comes out with THE FOOT. Is going to be a disaster.

Manjaro have grown into being quite a mature and nice distro, a little bit bloated after the install, but that's pretty much it.

netinstalled void and it only took me 10 minutes to get the base system onto my laptop. You're on some shit my dude

hell yeah

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-03-24 16-04-39.png (1600x900, 1.33M)

It's just like Ubuntu was before Unity and Gnome3 came out.

it's like im back in 2007
[spoiler]take me back please[/spoiler]

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-03-24 16-18-31.png (1600x900, 736K)

Monkey on the right should have a windows logo above it's head.

> Shit Linux people say

Yeah yeah yeah.. but can it run Crysis?

It does run cryshit AND fartcry. And runs them good.

> Linux can run Windows software/games
*some*

> sonic heroes is 15 years old

Attached: image.jpg (645x1260, 207K)

Gentoo is best

Frodo grew

Do you guys really distro hop this much?

Yes. It means that there are good and bad things about every distro and none of them are perfect. Take that as you will, but I think that's a good thing because it means there's something to be excited for with every distro

In most cases it's systemd+GNU/Linux

you have much to learn my child

Attached: Screenshot.png (515x92, 14K)

I think that's the whole point of MATE

i use Kubuntu two days, and besides some minor problems, it's works really good.

Attached: neofetch-2018-03-26-12-02-13-16794.png (1280x1024, 442K)

>using linux at all
>using a conventional OS
>not using unikernels + a hypervisor
>not doing all of your systems programming in HoTT/Coq
>in 2018

There's a big difference between a computer scientist and a computer artisan. You brainlets might as well be using your "feelings" as axioms for proofs. Not like any of you could formally prove anything, anyway.

Attached: serveimage.png (529x355, 36K)

No, it's for people too retarded to install an operating system.

I use Manjaro for their default DE theme, desu

DEs are trash.

ok

So can I, Manjaro.

This. At least the people maintaining Ubuntu know what they're doing.

>pic unrelated

Is debian still ok?
Got tired of archmeme

Debian is always fine.

>Largest user base
>A lot of documentation
>Decent support
>It's the worst, guys
Suck a bag of dicks! Its not the best, but it's Hella good

Windows and Linux are gay AF and a thing of the past. Nowadays you don't need anything more than iOS, or maybe android if you're poor.

Just installed gentoo, emerge'ing X and i3 as we speak
ask me anything

I see zero reasons to use Debian net inst over Ubuntu net inst.

>installed gentoo + Arch < 15 mins
god

>Debian
desktop/server?
stable/testing/unstable?
these can make a difference

arch install seriously only takes 5 minutes if you know what you're doing or have done it before
gentoo is about the same if you don't count time to compile. about 30 mins total

Desktop. Testing.

Same could be said about Mac OS.

Go back to Pakistan.

This is the most uneducated comment I have seen in my entire life.

iOS is so problematic, I'd rather buy 2 of the most expensive android phones than buy an iPhone X (which I have used and am not a fan).

Linux is the best. Some distros (like Ubuntu) are shitty, but many work just fine and aren't fucking gay, such as Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Gentoo.

You say "nowadays" as if learning how a computer works is a thing of the past. Kid, it's a thing of the future. Go back to playing angry birds.

Legacy or UEFI?

I see zero reasons to use Ubuntu over something as stable as Debian.

UEFI and GRUB2

What does the word "ubuntu" mean?

Did you create a swap partition? For some reason people don't always do that.

I like Ubuntu's PPA.

I didn't. I have enough RAM but my SSD is only 120GB
In other words, hard drive space is more of a premium than ram on my computer

I installed Gentoo and it took me 3 days

You can spend quite a bit of time in the menuconfig ;)

Ubuntu is a Nguni Bantu (South Africa) term meaning "humanity". It is often also translated as "humanity towards others", but is often used in a more philosophical sense to mean "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".

I had to redo it 5 times because I couldn't figure out the network shit with vmware
Sorry I'm a brainlet

So it's like an african my little pony "sharing is caring" slogan?

same for me with my hardware ethernet driver.
I still need to fix my sound. I'm pretty sure I enabled the right module in the kernel but alsa doesn't recognize my device :/

so is this an advanced metabait or just powerful autism?

>sent from my ipad

audio is working now boys !

It's actually not, even with a minimal install there is still unity shit and questionable configuration choices.

I'd still recommend it for people new to linux in general, but for those who want a bit more control...

do your newfriends a favor and point them to linux mint

what do you mean? I'm not the other guy, I don't even like macshit
>leddit space
anyway you've answered my question lol

funnily enough the post you replied to was my first in this thread

Found this image yesterday

Attached: 1521979551503.jpg (1000x1000, 282K)

you missed one step which is going back to gentoo because you can make any distro like any other but you also want to control your kernel

Last step - ah screw it, Im going back to windows.

"I can't setup Debian"

all the other posts were me, welcome to my grand illusion user

Shit taste

I had to use Kali for Security at college and got curious about using Linux instead of ShitBlows 10 spyware.
Is Manjaro good to start/work with? I like the design.

>screen tearing in 2k18 ad

If you're configuring the kernel it can take a pretty descent while. Maybe an hour without counting compile time