/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
[YouTube] how to build a pc.
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1 (embed)

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / i7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up or depleted stock
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050 Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080 Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080 Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous: (Cross-thread)

Attached: dd0.png (500x843, 517K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/HnB2RJ
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/WJMpGG
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dell precision 3770&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdell i7 3770.TRS0&_nkw=dell i7 3770&_sacat=0
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/j2GXP3
pcpartpicker.com/list/LLTWD2
pcpartpicker.com/product/2mQRsY/phanteks-enthoo-pro-m-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-es515ptg_bk
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9KjXP3
techbuyersguru.com/noctuas-nh-u14s-and-nh-d15s-cpu-coolers-take-best
pcpartpicker.com/product/2mV48d/noctua-case-fan-nfp14rredux1500pwm
pcpartpicker.com/list/y4hXgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/2Gd6sZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/sp2Cmq
pcpartpicker.com/product/3MJkcf/asus-prime-z370-a-atx-lga1151-motherboard-prime-z370-a
pcpartpicker.com/list/Mq9WD2
pcpartpicker.com/products/case-fan/#s=140&m=99
pcpartpicker.com/user/edernaljimbies/saved/vhstJx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I know there's a list of recommended monitors on pcpartpicker, but they're all gayming shite. What are some good monitors for general use and watching movies?

Dell ultrasharps are good around that price range in my personal experience, look for one that fits your aspect ratio and size preference

Hyper poorfag build here. I already have the drive, psu, case, and graphics card. Pirating windows. Mobo is a placeholder. Should I pull the trigger on this Sandy Xeon? I cant OC the cpu, but it's basically a 2600k, and I can OC the memory at least.
This is for 1080 / 60 gaming. I don't mind low settings, considering my budget.
pcpartpicker.com/list/HnB2RJ

Attached: w4erwerfw4e.png (716x589, 42K)

Hey so I'm new to building computers but want to get a new one since my 4 year old duct taped laptop starting to break down and want to be able to play games that are more demanding than hearthstone. Based this build on one I found on pcpartpicker and tweaked it a bit to fit more in my price range. I do want a GPU that I can upgrade in the future once the crypto craze is over so idk about the current one. I just want to be able to play games at med+ settings without sacrificing framerate and be able to keep 60+ fps. Hopefully all together it wont cost more than 1100$ CAD but I can allow it to go up to 1300$ CAD.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/WJMpGG

get a dell niggaplex with the 3770 for half the money and check if you can find a radeon 560 that fits in there and with the rest get an HDD.
That's more than enough for 60 fps gaymin.

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=dell precision 3770&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdell i7 3770.TRS0&_nkw=dell i7 3770&_sacat=0
I forgot the link

Vega 64 vs 1080Ti for 1440p gaming? I currently have a 980Ti and while it is still more than capable, there are a few titles that can't be pushed to 60FPS. I don't intend to take advantage of either Free-sync of G-sync as I never play games full screen anyway. Always borderless windowed.

Which will age better? The last AMD based card I had was a 3GB radeon 7950 that I flashed the BIOS to a 7970 and overclocked to 1250mhz. For reference, the cards are
>Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ Triple fan - $900
or
>EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW ICX triple fan - $1250

I know their prices are still a bit inflated, but cost is no issue.

Oh and I forgot to mention. Pic related is the rest of the system that I'm currently working with. At most I intend to get a generation 3 Ryzen down the road.

Attached: NewSpeccy.png (787x559, 46K)

you have 2 gpus in your build.
1 integrated and 1 discrete.
drop the 1050ti, the radeon 550 and the 560s and the 1050 (non-Ti) are the least overpriced but decent for 1080 gaymin,
ditch the 2400g and get ryzen 1600.
your end build would be cheaper and more up-gradable.

or
you can ditch the dGPU and stay with the 2400g. It will hold you for the next years, but you'll need ram close to 3000MHz to take advantage of its gpu.

>but cost is no issue.
get the 1080ti then, but I wouldn't trust evga.. to many issues lately ... well to many issues in general with their outsourced products.
Anyhow, if money is not an issue check the hybrid aorus.

>EVGA issues
Like? I've bought nothing but EVGA since the 5xx series and never had an issue
>hybrid aorus
I don't like AiO type coolers. I prefer air and I've heard nothing but bad things about Gigabyte products.

As far as cost being no issue, I'm simply after the best value over time as well. Will the 1080Ti be as good as the Vega 64 a year from now? 2? That's what I'm after.

I don't get your pic
And also yes I watch fate

Is it stupid to go for a i7-8700 build instead of an i7-8700k ?
I would prefer stability over overclocking but I've got no experience building, so if my logic is retarded then please tell me.

Is my CPU (i7 6700) a bottleneck to my 1080?

Games play fine but I always am told I have a shit CPU by Sup Forums

so if I get that, I can ditch my old case, pop in the 750ti, maybe even sell off some ram? Not sure what im going to do with this psu. Maybe just use it instead of the oem one?

Is there a massive difference between the GTX 1070 TI cards, or should I just buy the cheapest one?

turn tripcode off.
60hz? No. Not at all. 144 hz? maybe a little. Clock speed matters above 100 fps.

>Save up a grand by March to finally ditch my PlayStation and build a high range PC
>Blissfully unaware of this cryptomining situation
>Mfw shopping for GPU's for the first time

Attached: 1471867886510.jpg (1280x1381, 152K)

No not really. It's just that if it's not the K version, you're losing out on potential FPS gains. Quad core processors, even with 8 threads, have been shown to choke on certain games due to very heavy CPU usage. It's no uncommon for my buddy's 7700k to see 85%+ usage on all 4 cores when playing a title like Battlefield 1. And he only has a GTX 1060 6GB.

Ryzen 1600 is a good bang for buck if you're looking for more cores/threads and if money is no issue and you have a good cooler, the i7-8700k is better in every regard.

Currently you're better off using that grand to get top tier everything else. I.e. get your CPU/motherboard/drive(s), etc and don't spare any budget for the GPU. Just save up again and by the time you have another grand, prices may have come down.

I can't decide between the NZXT S340 Elite or the Corsair carbide 270R. On the one hand I'm struggling to justify the extra cost of the S340, but on the other its just so damn aesthetic. I plan to have the case for about 5 years, that's how long my HAF X has lasted.

Anyone got any inputs?

Attached: large_fa7a838268affb7b.png (900x900, 485K)

>Plan on building computer 3 years ago
>Had to put it off for various reasons
>Don't plan on spending more than £500
>Finally get to build it
>Probably the same spec as the one I was going to build 3 years prior, but cost closer to £800

Attached: 1466938082510.jpg (576x768, 109K)

why not regular s340? Also, neither option has ideal air flow.

laughing my ass off at the pic over here, wow

Attached: girl wizard.gif (272x480, 2.52M)

like I literally saved it to my computer into my dropbox Photos/random directory

either a shitposter, newfag, or a plain moron. Please go away.

I don't like the piano black glossy finish of the regular one, plus the only ones available are the ones with red or blue accents.

IF we did drop the comparison down to, say the regular S340 and 270R, who would win? mostly concerned about build quality and good design.

I'm not too concerned about airflow.

>neither option has ideal air flow.
How so? Popping off the front of the S340 does nothing?

What's Sup Forums's view on RGB parts?
Aesthetic or is it literally pleddit tier?

The graphics cards are going for more money than my last computer build cost me. I doubt they'll come down either, now that the companies realize they can sell to gamers and miners alike.

depends what you want from your system. In the past we had to choose one and stick with it but now you can update your configs on the fly

Attached: led guide.png (700x1094, 1.16M)

It's silly, my graphics card now costs more than my entire PC did when I bought it

RGB and LED bullshit in general always was stupid imo. Then again I have always had cases with no window, or a tiny window that wasn't a focal point for the case. I simply buy the best part I could afford. If it happens to have LED/RGB, I turn it off.

If you can't justify $100 case then you probably don't have anything nice to show off, just get case without window.

>Buy case with window
>Window is against the wall

Attached: 1456195825656.jpg (584x960, 57K)

I'd get something like this
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/j2GXP3
You could cut the SSD or get a 1050 ti or a B350 PC Mate to save some money (I'd stick to the B350-F)

Consider the Eclipse P400 (there's a white one for $42) or the Enthoo Pro M

I'm looking to update my dad's computer which is currently running a i5 2500k I gave him to ryzen 2 when it comes out, but I want to change the case to something that includes a optical drive so he can rip his CDs. What are some cases that include optical drive slots and look decent in around $100?

Attached: 1519865207042.png (250x555, 47K)

Same here. But now I don't clean my PC as much.

since you didn't mention it I'm assuming you know that you'll need a new motherboard, new ram sticks, and a dedicated gpu if you don't go with a 2200G or 2400G

/vega 64 is not a Gaming card, so it is not recommended that you purchase a Radeon coprocessor over a dedicated Gaming Graphics Card like the GTX 1080 Ti

>Buy USB CD drive
>Rip discs
>Refund/keep

pcpartpicker.com/list/LLTWD2

Ho is my first gayming computor? Would like it to be fast enuff to run Roblox csgo

Which PSU to pick, brand, certificate? 1050Ti, casual gaming, low budget.

pcpartpicker.com/product/2mQRsY/phanteks-enthoo-pro-m-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-es515ptg_bk

bad

Please remove the RX 570, RX580 as 1080p Gaming options. Those are not Gaming Graphics card; no Radeon massively-paralleled compute unit is guaranteed to have Gaming performance.

I've never built a computer before but I am about to. How do I install an OS without a disk drive? I understand Rufus is a thing but I don't know what to do with it.

Attached: 251016.jpg (640x480, 29K)

you could also use microsoft's media creation tool to prepare a usb drive

Get a S12II 520, 620 EVO or a Focus Plus Gold 650

Ok, but then what? Do I just keep the flash drive in the entire time I use the pc?

you install windows from it onto a storage device like a harddrive within the system

I see

How important are the timings on ram?
Or in my case, since I recently bought this, will I notice a difference in a ryzen 1600 using a ddr4 3200MHz with CL16 vs a ddr4 3200MHz with CL14?

no, but lower is always better

I'd just get a $500 2400G system and wait it out.
You can still play games with lowered settings and have the ability to emulate thousands of games. Not to mention piracy and saving on the longrun.

>tfw an hour in prime95
Please make it to 24h
pls

If you want to spend 1100$ here you go
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9KjXP3

how likely is it for a system to pass 1h yet fail before 24h?
pass that does 24h of prime95 really represent any day to day workload of people on here that usually play video games?

What's the cheapest build for a HTPC? Looking to play HEVC x265 etc with no issues

After hours of lurking here, I just said fuck it and bought a prebuilt with a 8700k. At least I can look forward to something better than my shitty Athlon 630 in a week or two.

Someone explain how the nh-u14s, a single fan single tower cooler, beats the d15, a dual fan dual tower cooler (almost twice the fin surface area).

Source for those interested techbuyersguru.com/noctuas-nh-u14s-and-nh-d15s-cpu-coolers-take-best

Attached: High-End Coolers IBT.png (886x602, 120K)

seems like a messed up test
the nh-d15 should actually be a lower sound level if it is at the same temperature
84C seems really high also

My first thought was indeed that they fucked something up because this test shows a huge difference. But then again other tests show a not so large gap. Don't really know which one to believe.

Attached: Noctua-NH-D15-OC-Load-Temperatures.jpg (1215x698, 79K)

Amd cpus and gpus blow dick. Amdrones will deny this in the current year.

Pic rel

Attached: Screenshot_20180318-151902.jpg (1080x1920, 350K)

you should check on the noctua site and see what their different TDPs are if it worries you

The big ones are all listed as 160w on their site, so that doesn't help much. Pic related on other test with wildly different results. In this one there is barely any difference between the nh-u14s and the nh-d15 considering the size difference.

Attached: temp-load.jpg (700x578, 88K)

Vain

Bottom is Violet Evergarden by KyoAni. It implies that the quality increases as you go down the list.

>WATCH
>fate
go back to Sup Forums you anime peasant

I'm very nearly about to get myself a Thermaltake core v21 case for my 2400G build. It's basically a cube with one window panel and two filtered open air panels of equal size, and a fairly open back end. It comes with 1 200mm intake on the front, that I assume will work pretty well considering this is very much a open ventilation case. what I'm wondering is where is the best place to put a smaller second fan in this thing? It's almost impossible to get air blowing directly onto the mobo from any other fan mounting location except the top (which is where I plan on putting the window panel). Is having an exhaust fan in the back useful at all in a case with so much ventilation from the sides? I mean, there's no way in hell I'll be creating negative pressure

this is a question I have, myself. What kind of issue (that a normal user will run into) is going to be found out in 24 hours of severe stress testing, that won't be found in 1? Sounds like a waste of time desu.

Hopefully this is still /pcbg/ relevant: What router is currently the best available on the market?

Our shops here got chinkshit like D-Link AC5300 (the red pyramid one), Linksys (AC4100 Tri-Band Router EA9300), and TP-Link crap. The best that seem to have is an ROG Rapture GT-AC5300.
Mainly looking for better wireless connectivity, our ancient Cisco E4200 is beginning to croak.

Attached: 1021365773017.gif (300x286, 3.49M)

That's not Saber at the bottom. Nice try.

does that also imply story and plot diminishes as well

>That's not Saber

Attached: 1500513170721.png (800x450, 53K)

says the "fate watcher"

You would have to make the case that the Deen series isn't an irredeemable piece of shit, let alone better than the ufotable adaptation or not Saber meets Foreigner.

I would put two of these or a 200mm on the front and the 120mm one in the back
pcpartpicker.com/product/2mV48d/noctua-case-fan-nfp14rredux1500pwm

Attached: 8377827_08.png (1000x589, 102K)

i havent watched fate but i know kyoani is nothing but visuals with no substance. i dont care if it takes 12 hand detailed frames for a single piece of hair to move and bend light off of a lens flare the story is trash

Just saying Violet is NOT Saber and could probably kill Saber 1v1 as long as Saber wasn't using her hax noble phantasm and ghost sword powers.

I'm broke right now because I spent all my money on the components, but I'm still missing the OS. Are there any cheap keys for Windows 10 or can I pirate it safely? There's no way I can pay $100 for it right now.

>kyoani is nothing but visuals with no substance

Says the fate watcher.

i said i dont watch fate.

My mistake. So what shonen do you watch?

I'm just wondering how much of an effect the exhaust in back would have since there's no restriction on where the big intake fan can blow the air. I guess I'll have to test it out.

im not watching much for this season and probably wont for the next.
magus bride finished, dropped franxx puke everytime someone says its good, currently watching this chink shit called Mi Yu Xing Zhe and overlord.

pcpartpicker.com/list/y4hXgL
Current/First Build

pcpartpicker.com/list/2Gd6sZ (Probably next build)
AMD Build

pcpartpicker.com/list/sp2Cmq (Made this for fun)

R8 plz

Attached: 1518326469566.png (600x360, 151K)

Do what I did.
Use a cheap disk drive for the setup and then disconnect it.

Attached: 1518334891324.jpg (500x547, 59K)

>ghost sword
UH EXCUSE ME BUT ACTUALLY

The last build is unironically batter (because its so much cheaper) But get a better mobo
pcpartpicker.com/product/3MJkcf/asus-prime-z370-a-atx-lga1151-motherboard-prime-z370-a

batter? also why change out the motherboard

after messing around with overclocking on my 8700k I decided to see what kind of voltages and temperatures I would get by just using multi core enhancement. I was expecting some bad results considering everyone says it's pretty bad but so far it seems reasonable. Voltages have never gone past around 1.28v when running cinebench, prime95, and asus real bench and temps are below 80 degrees mostly.

I've read other people saying their voltage goes past 1.4 using multi core enhancement with like 90+ degree temperatures.

Am I missing something?

Someone uses my edit even on Sup Forums, what the fuck, i never thought, it would be so popular.

I would get this
pcpartpicker.com/list/Mq9WD2
If you don't like Noctua color scheme you can get a Dark Rock Pro 3 or replacement fans
pcpartpicker.com/products/case-fan/#s=140&m=99
To save some money you could get a MX300 525GB M.2 (cheaper but slower) and a Focus Plus Gold 850W or keep using the CSM 750W

Does anyone have experience with Toshiba hard drives? Are they more reliable than Seagate at least? I have an opportunity to pick up a 1TB 7200RPM drive for practically free but I don't want it dying on me too soon.

Planning on getting a RAID 1 array of two 2TB drives.
Long-term reliability is what I'm looking for, but Seagate drives are crazy cheap at my local seller. Is the Seagate meme real (at least for 2TB Barracuda drives), or should pay 50% more and get a Western Digital drive?
My seller must've been getting me "good" Seagate batches so far, as my 2TB HDD and EHD haven't died in several years.

How well will an R3 2200G hold up for gaming? My brother's wanted a gaming PC for years, and I bought him a case for Christmas to get him started, but GPU prices went full retard so now he's sol. Would it be a good idea for him to get the 2200G to hold over until sanity returns? He doesn't need groundbreaking performance; right now he's playing Skyrim at cinematic frames at

pcpartpicker.com/user/edernaljimbies/saved/vhstJx

How's this looking guys? I've been waiting for gpu prices to fall for the past 6 months but since I don't see that happening and really want to get a new pc I just switched the gtx1060 6gb for 3gb, is that going to bottleneck r5?

Yes 2200G is the way to go for gaming without a discrete GPU, just pair it with an overclockable B350 motherboard and high speed dual-channel RAM and you should be able to run everything decently at 720p or 1080p low settings. Pic related.

Attached: Screenshot (8).png (1920x1080, 929K)

An overclocked Raven Ridge will have about the same performance with the stock cooler, and it's more future proof.
Also, that psu is oversized.