So my super sexy X1 Carbon G5 (W10 Pro) just got delivered

So my super sexy X1 Carbon G5 (W10 Pro) just got delivered.

Can I get some advice on how to set it up from scratch to optimise privacy, security and performance?

>I've turned off most of the optional windows settings that compromise privacy (I've always wondered if they throttle performance/longevity to spite people for this).
>I plan to install Malwarebytes and maybe a free anti-virus - is the Windows one sufficient, or any other recommendations?
>It's only a small 256GB SSD, so I'd probably be wasting my time partitioning the drive right?
>Any good resources on what browser/configurations to use?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for the help, Sup Forums.

Attached: x1.jpg (1920x1200, 388K)

Other urls found in this thread:

devuan.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In return, I give you all this picture.

Attached: 1477271088956.jpg (962x722, 202K)

You should consider to format that SSD and install a GNU/Linux distribution in it.

My X1 Carbon got stolen a few months after purchase, OP. It'd be nice if you just shipped it to me so I can recover.

Attached: 1521228920673.gif (270x263, 3.91M)

You should read up on Windows 10 LTSB if you insist on using windows.

If you intend to fully optimize security, you need to install GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1510732886737.jpg (500x265, 19K)

While the alphabet agency backdoors in windows 10 are definitely disturbing, it's not my main concern. At the moment, the practicality of windows is more of a benefit with my work, I can't really use linux.

>I've turned off most of the optional windows settings that compromise privacy
They're placebo switches. They don't change the amount of data sent out. Not even registry edits or group policy changes will do anything unless you're on an enterprise version.

>I plan to install Malwarebytes and maybe a free anti-virus
Not only will antivirus software do fuckall to protect your system, it'll open up new vulnerabilities by fucking with the system in ways that other programs don't, such as modifying and manipulating parts of the kernel.

>is the Windows one sufficient
Yes.

>Any good resources on what browser/configurations to use?
Firefox 58 with the "send health report/diagnostics" unchecked in the settings. Set the browser to never remember passwords/logins or history. Then install uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, and Cookie AutoDelete. In the cookie clearing extension, turn off notifications and domain specific logging. Set it to clear cookies every minute, and then enable container support.

>Anything else I should consider?
Use Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB or don't use Windows at all. If you really care about privacy and security, install Devuan GNU/Linux (Debian without systemd) and learn how to use it.

>Devuan GNU/Linux
devuan.org/

>Windows 10 LTSB
Go to The Pirate Bay and read the reviews. Use Rufus to make a USB installer out of the ISO.

Attached: calculator_slowjak.png (701x679, 17K)

you go through all this trouble then blindly install an iso off tpb...

What, are you worried about it being bundled with malware? Well, I've got news for you. Windows itself is malware now.

>without systemd
I can understand hating on redhat but in what manner does systemd breach privacy?

I don't think anyone is going to debate that, but the effects of downloading some random criminals malware are going to be a bit more abrupt and obvious. The government will get data on you regardless of what OS you use if they really want to.

Come back after you've reviewed the one million plus lines of spaghetti code.

Read the reviews and check the seeders. You're the one who wants to use Windows 10.

It's right there in the source code! systemd logs all your key presses and sends them to the CIA.

>Come back after you've reviewed the one million plus lines of spaghetti code.
Source: Stallman on the Linux kernel

That's why I'm contributing to Hurd. Linux is also a problem.

>$1,500 on a Windows laptop

Are you mentally handicapped?

No, but you are.

It would have made headlines and there would've been 100 threads on the topic if that were the case

I've had a lot of grief with laptops in the past, mainly regarding hardware failures and short lifespans.

My research led me to the X1 carbon as a reliable, well built and high quality laptop that should last. I'm happy to pay a bit more if that's the case, the amount of time I've wasted fixing old cheaper laptops adds up and time is money.

No, no, you don't understand. There are far too many lines of code for humans to audit! But it's there, I swear.

Install Gentoo.

It doesn't.