3 years later, how does Sup Forums feel about it? I think it's gotten even better over time imo...

3 years later, how does Sup Forums feel about it? I think it's gotten even better over time imo, I'm In It and Send It Up are underrated as hell.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x2qbmn6
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Thousand_Suns
scaruffi.com/vol7/west.html#yee
youtube.com/watch?v=xuhl6Ji5zHM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

wtf is this? it doesnt have a name you fucking shit stain. you think everyones going to assume what album this is just by the cover.

i literally have nothing to contribute other than that his performance of black skinhead on SNL was one of the GOAT moments of television this decade

that shit is kanye's best live performance ever, period

enlarge the artwork dingus

It definitely got better with time. You can argue he was trying too hard to be "experimental" but what other artist as successful as him would take the risks he took with this?

it's fucking 10/10

Damn

2013 was not ready for this album.

amazing. honestly Ye's best work.

OFF BY-

>but what other artist as successful as him would take the risks he took with this
I'm thinking maybe 1998 Eminem? Literally that's it.

It's honestly is best record and has only gotten better with time. It might be a 10/10.

In the middle ground of people who worship this thing and hate it. I like all tracks, except I'm In It and Send It Up. Love the dark industrial production on this, but its severely held back by lazy lyricism. Also Guilt Trip is underrated. I'd give it out of 7/10.

Best album of all time

yall forgetting about power

dailymotion.com/video/x2qbmn6

I see what you're saying. If it had actual good lyrics it would probably be at least 9/10 for me

Its definitely getting better. But that doesnt make Bound 2 a good song.

Yeah, I'd say that'd be the same case for me too. I just can't get with Send It Up's beat for whatever reason.

it was brilliant when it came out and still is now. nice to see that most of the slower people are starting to catch up. TLOP will be the same way.

No way. What made Yeezus great was how compact it was and how it stuck to its stylistic theme, but Kanye totally forgot to trim the fat on TLOP.

There's no way people will think of Facts and Freestyle 4 as classics. As a matter of fact, the more I relisten to TLOP, the less I like it.

Still hollow, masturbatory trash, though at least On Sight did grow on me so that's 3 good songs instead of 2 alongside Black Skinhead and New Slaves.

Personally not a fan

>What made Yeezus great was how compact it was and how it stuck to its stylistic theme, but Kanye totally forgot to trim the fat on TLOP

this senpai, TLOP had so much potential but for those of us that listen to albums from start to finish it falters

Facts is good af imo

It's kinda good now. 3 years from now it will make absolute no sense

Send It Up is fucking amazing. I personally think this is his best album, production wise. Since English is my second language, the trash lyrics dont bother me that much,

holy shit
got mad goosebumps at the end
MBDTF is an amazing album

Facts is garbage but the first version of Freestyle 4 was one of my favorites. I think it does Yeezus' thing better than most of Yeezus does and those strings are divine.

>muh lyrics

With all the different sounds and influences on Pablo it seemed like Ye didn't really have any clear vision of what he wanted to make.
It seemed like he used the theme of "WHICH ONE??" as an excuse to throw a bunch of songs together that really didn't flow together well at all.
There is no clear struggle between the lifestyle Pablo Picasso and Pablo Escobar, just a few lines that reference them.
Also with the way Yeezus was given 9s and 10s by critics, he thought he could get away with lazy lyrics on most songs, excluding only a few.
I hope Kanye has a clear concept in mind for his next album.

Not him but it generally helps a rap record to have good lyrics, yes.

Kill yourself

Successful musicians taking risks isn't that weird, man.

nah, if that were the case then there would be no 80's/90's west coast records hailed as classics

Kanye went from 100% accessible pop rap (not criticizing mbdtf) to wannabe industrial experimental hip hop. Are you really trying to compare with linkin park going pop rock?

>wannabe

Key word there. You also had critics saying Linkin Park made the next DSOTM or Kid A when ATS dropped.

No fucking way.

>ontgomery of MTV called A Thousand Suns a "sprawling, discordant, ambitious and an all-out game changer" and compared it with Radiohead's 2000 album Kid A, but said A Thousand Suns is more optimistic than Kid A.[13] Jordy Kasko with Review Rinse Repeat gave A Thousand Suns a perfect rating, calling it an "epic quest".[12] He compared it to Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon (1973) and Radiohead's Kid A, saying "A Thousand Suns is an ALBUM. It is not a collection of songs. It is not meant to be listened to as such. The band is going so far as to release an iTunes version that is one track, 47 minutes and 56 seconds long. This is no more an 'album' by conventional standards than Dark Side of the Moon or Kid A are. Sure, there are identifiable songs, but to understand or to appreciate any of them you must take them in the context of the entire album."[12] Christopher Weingarten of The Village Voice praised the album, calling it "2010's best avant-rock nuclear-anxiety concept record", as well as comparing it to Radiohead's OK Computer (1997).[11]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Thousand_Suns

I can't even pretend this is a classic album

definitely some of kanyes worst stuff

Holy shit, topkek.

Time just proved them wrong. Also, I clearly remember this album getting panned by almost everyone

It just is so bad. It just seems like kanye was trying way way to hard to make something /weird/ and trying to distance himself from the late graduation and MBDTF sound. I just don't think that much work was put into the this album. It is just rambling and drama from a life I have no interest in being around or about. I don't care about Jay Z and Beyonce's relationship. I want to hear about kanye. Kanye is 10x more interesting then any other celebrity on earth. It just isn't a good album soniclly, lyrically, and it cant hold my attention for a whole 40 minutes without me turning it off for being such a disappointment on all fronts. which is an embarrassment coming for kanye who could hold my attention through "Runaway" and the "Blame Game". Just baka senpai

Read the scarufii review for a good pan/laugh scaruffi.com/vol7/west.html#yee

Reception was split pretty evenly between love and hate.

yeezus literally got better over time
in fact every time i listen to it, it gets better and better still even after 10000+ listens
send it up is one of the best bangers of all time

Daily Reminder

I really love that synth on that song. It just fucking gos man. The only redeeming thing from yeezus is that synth

Well deserved.

I think Yeezus makes sense as a follow-up to MBDTF in that that album threatened to go off the rails with all the ideas and emotional rollercoasting - the only thing consistent about MBDTF was its wild inconsistency, which turned out to be its charm. Kanye went for broke on it, and on Yeezus he went ham even harder. In my opinion he actually did derail on it though; for all its good intentions he overshot his abilities and made one hell of a pointless mess of a record. But hey, at least he put his back into it. That much credit I will give him.

and scruffles usually really likes kanye, not christgau/pitchfork levels of reverence but definitely high praise in comparison to his feelings about other Sup Forumscore

On Send It Up? You mean that airhorn-sounding shit? I'm sorry, all I can do is laugh at that synth. Can't even get to the lyrics, it's too funny. That said, the last few seconds with the sharp electronic bursts is pretty alright.

UH-HUH HONEY

I still don't understand how it does every genre better than the artists dedicated to that genre. Several electronic musicians cite him as a major inspiration. Like dafuq? That shit is unheard of.

name a single one

*he, sorry

James Blake and Tim Hecker

Dude wanted a specific sound and was hellbent on getting it. HudMo, Daft Punk, Rubin etc, he assembled all of them, told them what he wanted and they all worked their asses off for a month to get it. The whole thing is a huge collab effort.

I definitely agree that the sound of Yeezus is starting to make more sense as we get closer to the 20's... but Bound 2 was my favourite track. It was old school Kanye with a perverted twist. The beat was choppped up 70s pop vocals, but to me it had such a futuristic, daunting vibe. From a producer's standpoint, it feels sort of off-kilter and not overly quantized.

but MBDTF does go off the rails on "Runaway". The last 4 minutes of Runaway is just stretched into 40 min of Yeezus

Oh yes user I mean the synth on Send It Up. Thanks for correcting me

The vocoder bit's actually pretty cool. It's like he did a guitar solo with his voice.

Anyone else love that choir sample on On Sight? It makes me laugh my ass off every time. He's like "YOU WANNA SOUL SAMPLE, HERE'S YOUR FUCKING SOUL SAMPLE, FUCK YOU".

I may despise Yeezus with a passion overall but that sample is arguably his most tastefully used one.

I've seen every Kanye performance on SNL in the last 10 years and they have all been utter shit.

>300
>romans

Yes it just sounds like he went to target and got one of those $4 toy mics and sang into it

He's trying to be stupid on purpose, which makes it totally swag bro.

Nah, the Black Skinhead one was pretty good. Hell, everything about the lead-in to Yeezus was WAY more hype than the album itself is.

Kanye fans are alone in this opinion, everyone else just sighs and shakes their heads at home terrible it is.

The end to New Slaves is fucking amazing.

oh, yeah, real major forces these two. only real diehard heads get into this shit. come the fuck on. no one gives a shit if your indie trash FOTW "electronic" musicians have off-handedly laughed along as a Pitchfork writer fed them a line about Kanye being the all-time greatest

I love how you can hear kanye laugh after he says "dick in her mouth"

on sight is full of great moments

>The more I listen to it, the less I like it

This sadly. I was very entertained the first time I heard it but TLOP has terrible replay value

nah m8, it's pretty gud

I agree. I'd argue it's become pretty great actually, especially comparing it to TLOP. I don't know, I guess in comparison it just doesn't seem like a weird fluke that I originally thought it was. I thought Ye just got lucky trying to decently copy DG, but now I kinda see the originality and genius behind it

People misunderstand Yeezy. Dude has been a genius and a pioneer since day 1. Yeezus is much more deeper than what the mainstream or what conformists listen to(New slaves). If you have followed Ye, listened to his interviews his rants and everything in between, you will see that this a break from conformity. “I’d rather be a dick than a swallower”. It’s an album of not giving a fuck anymore and empowering your self while finding worth in who you are(I am a God). The entire vibe of the album is just fuck everything and everyone I’m gonna do my own shit so stay the FUCK out of my way! hah! Didn’t know where else to rant off so this will suffice.

>Freestyle 4 isn't goat
Talk your shit on TLOP, go ahead, but that track is great. If you take it seriously, it's about a sex addicted borderline insane dude getting lit. If you take it as a joke, it's fucking hilarious

Completely hated it when it came out because it was the complete opposite of MBDTF, but now it's probably my favorite of his. Lyrically it's definitely his worst but sonically it's fucking amazing.

I strongly suggest some of you listen to everything from MBDTF on with specific interest in what Justin Vernon does in these projects. His voice is all over them. That epic vocal run at the end of Bound 2 is Mr. Bonnie Bear himself, and there are so many more moments where he just takes the songs to a different stratosphere.

youtube.com/watch?v=xuhl6Ji5zHM

I dunno man, that performance kinda blows the album version the fuck out.

Justin Vernon is a god and Bon Iver - Bon Iver is a heavily underrated album for his voice alone.

I never really understood the whole "DG ripoff" thing. They both are industrial rap, but Death Grips is way more influenced by Punk while Yeezus is more electronic.

I Am A God is so fucking weird. Right off the bat, the dancehall bit and the beat give off this disturbing vibe. Like a creepypasta turned into a rap song. Then Ye starts going in with his verses and you're like "Damn, that's good shit".

Then the fucking SCREAMING starts and it just confuses the hell out of you. Thwn he does it again and again. Then that beat switches to that nice 8-bit shit while he's still screaming again. Then Justine Vernon caps it off.

It's the weirdest fucking song from any artist as mainstream as Kanye.

I wish I could experience hearing that little interlude for the first time again. It's like, just long enough to enjoy it but not too long so you get enough out of it. He teases the fuck out of us

I found it pretty dull aside from the first verse, and not in a 2deep4me sense, it's just kind of a boring song. I don't handle pump-up music too well, though. For context, 808's was more my speed and I think Roses is the best thing he's ever done.

iirc kanye said his favorite albums are 808's and yeezus.funnty considering how divisive both are

my favourite song on yeezus
the screams and panting at the end over that bass are fucking brilliant

Freestyle 4 & FML should've been on this.

I dunno about FML but I agree on Freestyle 4. I'd add Feedback to it as well. It's like Send It Up but actually good.

It's good but not 9.5 good. More 8.2.

Timeless masterpiece.

I still can't believe how well Mr. Kanye plays the drums, the cello, the piano, the guitar, keyboards, brass. To top it off he composed it all by himself. Superhuman.

don't you have a tiger mom who'll be mad if you're up this late, user? you DO have SAT tutoring tomorrow morning.

Better than tlop

Didn't they copy like U2 on one song?

I would probably like this album more if my ex didn't have shit taste then insist I listen to Kanye. Once I finally did give it a listen I liked the music more than anything. I think I could do without the lyrics. My opinion fuck off m8 wanna fite bout it?

On the contrary it got worse with time. It's an album that desperately tried to keep up with the harsh experimental electronic music that was beginnibg to gain monentum during 2013, but soon fell out of favor as more interesting and actually innovative electronic music started being released. The best song on the album is also the least experimental, with a beat from 2012.