/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/dybEUJ1Y

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Attached: 640269a31cdbeb8e94044c4e50960d95.jpg (1447x2046, 2.96M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SI-EIHAY4Mk
youtube.com/watch?v=PW4faIozI7k
youtube.com/watch?v=KhDaggdaxuk
innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones-page-2
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/vorlon-has-zero-eq.5864/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what are you currently listening to /hpg/?
youtu.be/SI-EIHAY4Mk

Attached: IMG_0132.jpg (3024x4032, 1.72M)

youtube.com/watch?v=PW4faIozI7k

With 5dB bass boost from neutral.

Attached: _20180326_143308.jpg (3264x2448, 1.37M)

For me, it's the HP2. The best headphones in the world.

Attached: distilled hpg autism.png (961x720, 179K)

Pic related.

Attached: WorldComingDown.jpg (300x300, 31K)

Test

So there's some initial impressions of the cavalli tube. and by impressions I mean knob impressions because who cares about the sound
>That volume knob is smooth. It makes the knob on my Mjolnir 2 feel cheap
>I couldn't agree with you more about the volume pot; it is the nicest, smoothest volume pot I have used on any piece of equipment I have ever owned, headphones or otherwise.
>the aluminum has a very polished finish which is not obvious in pictures but is extremely smooth and high class to the touch. The LED light on front is very subtle and delicate, the Volume Knob is super smooth and I can't stop putting my hands on this thing while listening lol.
>bit of scratch between 11-2, but only when turning the smexilly smooth volume knob.

apparently the CTH (and probably the rest of the massdrop amps) have the universe's most smooth knob

Attached: lewd.gif (500x281, 693K)

Is it built in a way where you can spray contact spray into the volume pot to get rid of the scratchiness? IMO an amp not built this way is poorly designed.

is it built like a schiit amp with poor tolerances and scratched knobs that are misaligned and tiny, that fall off like the lyr or get extremely hot like the jot? no.

What headphones for listening to Primus

That's not what I asked. Is the volume pot easily accessible via disassembly for the purposes of contact spray application?

yes lol

Need a pair of over-ears with very good noise cancellation. Will be using for gaming and while studying. Will probably wear for long periods of time so make em comfy. Have my eyes on bose qc25s, any alternatives?
budget:

Attached: 46d3069121d95a744aa0a5fdd251cd59.jpg (1163x1268, 1021K)

For me its the SHP9500S

Attached: 26-138-190-09.jpg (1280x960, 127K)

The Trustiest of Fucks

Reposted here because of new thread.
Need your help /hpg/. Wanting to get my first big entry into headphones.

Budget - less than $200
Location - USA
Source - PC and sometimes phone
Full sized
Open
I wear glasses so comfy would be nice
Sound signature - I look forward to hearing how classical sounds but I listen to a wide range of music. I'd like to use them for gaming also so I don't want the bass to be really weak.
Past headphones - Just cheap earbuds really. I'm sure the upgrade to whatever I get will be massive.

Appreciate any suggestions. Been researching for awhile but since I'm still new to it all but haven't come to a decision. 598s are tempting but I don't know. I really want to hear from the more experienced.

Beyer DT880

HD579

no bully zone all headphones have a purpose in this wonderful world

Attached: IMG_20180305_221913352.jpg (2080x1170, 1.35M)

youtube.com/watch?v=KhDaggdaxuk

Nice TOTL headphones from Audio-Technica and the world, user

they don't got noise cancellation

nice endgame worthy cat, your headphones however leave me wanting

>Schiit wasn't a terribly controversial manufacturer here until mid-February, when AudioScienceReview released their measurements of the Schiit Yggdrasil showing that it doesn't measure well.

>Since then, there's been a notable anti-Schiit sentiment in this subreddit, which has mostly been propagated by a small, but vocal minority of users (and their alt accounts) who seem dedicated to criticizing Schiit at every opportunity while extolling the virtues of audio "objectivism". They're very easy to spot if you look at their account histories, which often consist entirely of anti-Schiit comments.

>Why did I put the word objectivism in quotes? Because there's a key difference between people who actually pursue and practice objectivism, and Reddit "objectivists". The former will actually take the time to acquire and measure different types of equipment, then report their findings. Regardless of whether you agree with the findings or not, that information adds value to the audio community that can help people make more informed choices.

>The Reddit "objectivist", on the other hand, often resorts to extremes and regurgitates existing information (like ASR reviews and Wikipedia articles about confirmation bias and the like) without having any first-hand experience with either the equipment being discussed, or with the measurement / objective testing process. They'll adamantly discredit others' impressions by pointing to a lack of objective testing, but when pressed, can't produce any evidence that they've done such testing themselves. Additionally, they're often confrontational, rude, and are unwilling to consider other perspectives (e.g., "Audiophools!" "It's not my fault if people can't handle the truth..." etc.,) These people aren't objectivists, they're trolls whose contributions offer no substantive value.

Anti-Schiit shitposters BTFO.

>Ignores the poor measurements
lel

Hello, "objectivist'.

For the sake of being helpful, DT880 will need an amp, HD579 will not.

The 32 ohm version doesn't need an amp. Might want to note that.

Hello, Schiil :^)

No it does not, and the HD5xx series sound horribly bad from anything that has high output impedance. It's already not that great stock sound signature wise, but it only becomes worse when used on typical computer headphone outs.
Some people become so used to the distorted mud bass after listening to a 5xx connected to a computer that they actually complain that external dac/amps sound worse than their onboard audio. I've seen it. It really happens.

The 32 ohm version is also widely considered poor compared to the other versions, and is not a good choice for someone who lists "and sometimes phone":
innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones-page-2
>While I found this headphone to be driven to satisfactory levels from portable devices, I felt the sound quality was degraded (likely by the poor damping factor) to the point that the price/performance ratio was poor. Essentially, you are not going to get DT 880-like performance from this pairing.

So it's an inferior option, similar to the 579. What of it?

>No it does not
t.soyboy who can't handle over 80 dB
Normal people like to listen to shit loud at least sometimes for short periods of time that don't cause hearing damage. Also, a lot of music, movies, anime, etc., is mastered at a very low volume and these things will absolutely not be loud enough through an unamped DT880 250 or 600 ohm.

HD579 deviates from neutral on the side of warmth about as much as a DT880 deviates from neutral on the side of brightness. They're both good headphones.

I've compared the 880 and 598 in person, there's no contest. Have you?

I have not, but I have heard both a DT880 and an actual HD579, not a HD598, and I prefer the 579. I tend to have a subjective preference towards warm headphones over bright headphones, though. It seems you're the opposite. Different strokes. Neither are very far from neutral TBFH. I like them both.

don't get these they sound like shit

you sound like shit

>Additionally, they're often confrontational, rude, and are unwilling to consider other perspectives (e.g., "Audiophools!" "It's not my fault if people can't handle the truth..." etc.,) These people aren't objectivists, they're trolls whose contributions offer no substantive value.

I'd take the word of the asshole whos right over the polite sheep.

It's the age old audiophile rodeo of upselling diminishing returns and distortion in fancy boxes, with GenZ smug hipster marketing techniques; "We're not like those OTHER companies, haha, those fucking idiots. We don't sell cables here, only DACs and amps HURRDURR"

It's just the scope of audiophile scrutiny itself has tightened over the years. In the 90s and early 00s you could get away with selling gold cables and or whatever special voodoo you wanted. Now a days even most hardened audiophiles will scoff at that, but still drop $1000 on a DAC or amp.

It's because DACs and amps are the last frontier for these companies, when people realize that all kinda sound the same or less.. where's the profit to be made in the higher margins? You gotta keep selling the fantasy, even though it's here for everyone already.. in their phones, on their motherboards and anything else that's competently implemented.

If you really wanna drop $400+ on a dac you can get an audio interface or even a drum machine/synth that has an audio interface built in, like the elektron digitakt/digitone. At least you get your moneys worth then, even if you aren't a musician those features are fun and handy.

>reddit formating

I dont even post on reddit. I just fucked it up. Can't edit on Sup Forums.

>not understanding paragraphs
Gen z, please. Paragraphs aren't reddit formatting. Reddit formatting makes proper formatting harder.

So I've got the cable of my $100 Sennheiser earplugs terribly damaged, so one side had stopped working.
I got $10 Phillips earplugs as a temporary replacement, and you know what?
I WISH SENNHEISER WAS A FUCKING MEME BUT I FEEL LIKE I'M LISTENING THE MUSIC UNDERWATER THROUGH A FUCKING PILLOW.
Fuck.

>let's call everyone gen z, surely that will solidify my argument
no. everyone hates your guts.

>user says, right after posting

I'm a bit worried for him desu. His obsession with Schiit and you doesn't look healthy.

Got these arriving today, gang, did I do good?

UK selection isn't amazing, sadly.

Attached: _20180327_074727.jpg (1080x318, 38K)

Marvey
>buttmad because of amir
>hates gommies
>hates millennials/gen z
>hates chinks and anything not american
>loves sennheiser
>shills endlessly for schiit
>pretends to be what he isn't (the authority of taste, the messiah)
>buys expensive source gear because he thinks he can hear the difference

Gen Z user
>buttmad because of amir
>hates gommies
>hates millennials/gen z
>hates chinks and anything not american
>loves sennheiser
>shills endlessly for schiit
>pretends to be what he isn't (the authority of taste, the messiah)
>buys expensive source gear because he thinks he can hear the difference

am I missing anything?

Can someone explain to a non-regular the significance of this so-called gen z user and why everyone is losing their mind over him/her?

That face you will make when you'll realize there's more than one poster calling others gen z here and none are marvey.

he's just the typical self important autist who tries to govern the general that he hates because he thinks his opinion matters. he tries to protect /hpg/ from cancer but the reality is that he is the cancer of /hpg/
I don't think marvey goes here, I just think you two would make good friends and you should fuck off to SBAF. also there's only one HD800S + benchmark owner here and it's you

You forgot
>has autistic meltdowns and is incapable of making a coherent argument

These are the best headphones for silly geese.
To be fair, hating commies is a good thing.

>and it's you
You still don't get it.

Attached: smug3.gif (500x508, 747K)

>To be fair, hating commies is a good thing.
I wholeheartedly agree and I almost didn't put it up there, but it's not a strict list of negatives. just preferences.

feel free to post your setup and prove me wrong

>beyerdynamic
hope you like hissing.

They finally arrived today. I needed new earpads and ended up going with these instead of OEM. Anyone else picked them up?

Attached: 1500176921374.jpg (5152x3864, 1.52M)

That's a bit unfair to marvey considering gen z user's arguments are trash. I mean marvey's are too but not quite on the level of gen z's

Anime feet is therapeutic

You're right, I may have been unfair. I had this thread in mind, where Marv has a serious spergout over some autist asking for his opinions. superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/vorlon-has-zero-eq.5864/

He seems pathetic there, but ultimately more rational than gen z user when you compare the two.

So what isn't snake oil?
Because it honestly seems like more or less everything is :/

hd600

These fit way too loose on me. And I have a big head. They jiggled around too much. Shame, they sounded p good

wrong
its snake oil
you can get decent speakers for the same price

Which headphones are those for ? I got some for akg k7xx, sheepskin and fenestrated sheepskin, and they're good. I like fenestrated better.

Want to order O2 but can't choose between the fucking gain configurations. Do I just spend a bit extra for the more aesthetically pleasing and singular configuration of the Magni3?

Sure, schiits sound great for the price but i wouldnt ever recommend anyone buying audio gear that is designed to break down. All their products with 2 year warranty plus both the USB interfaces have dogshit-tier components and will inevitably stop working soon after (or before if you are lucky) warranty expires. Havent tried the more expensive gear but with the schiit track-record me and my friends have experienced i never will. Personally i wouldnt recommend anyone buying schiit... especially used. I'd rather shell out more cash and buy well engineered products.

Pick the lower gain config.

They're for HD600s. I was thinking long and hard about which ones to get but people on assdrop forum said that velour ones sound the most like the OEMs. I was also afraid of buying leather ones because I was afraid of sweat. Maybe I should have went for fenestered. Velour ones are comfy af and I like them a lot.

Attached: 1505410711419.jpg (5152x3864, 993K)

Nice best headphones in the world, user.

I'm extremely happy with them. I had Audeze LCD-2 before these and I could not listen to them for more than 4-5 hours because they made my ears overly sensitive. I can listen to HD600s for 8+ hrs every day without any issues. And I just love the sound. They're also light and comfy af. Wouldn't trade them for anything. I'd def recommend them.

Fenestrated doesn't heat so much, unlike "normal" sheepskin. That said, I got leather because velour pads don't usually last me long, and I would have got either velour or their "hybrids" if it wasn't a concern.

I was thinking about hybrids but they had leather on the inside and was not sure how that would feel on the sides of my ears. In the end I went with velour. I'll probably buy another pair months from now when they go on sale again. I like them overall. They're not hot. Can recommend velour ones.... even if they're not fancy.

Alright I'll do that, but what's the rationale? I'm using a 6XX and my source for the moment is an iMac

It's not all snake oil, just mostly redundant. Why pay for something that you already had? I guess some people like making things more complicated and specialized for the ritualism, which makes sense to me for things like modular synths, but is completely hysterical if your goal is hi-fi audio reproduction, because it's all here for you already! Past a certain line comparing DACs and amps is like comparing HDMI cables. And as consumer DAC design (iphone, realtek, etc) are reiterated and refined over generations, that line between audiophile and consumer grade has become practically invisible.

It blows my mind when people think that billion dollar companies like apple or longtime OEM chip makers like realtek would have worse 'engineering' than a boutique audiophile company. These products have had decades worth of refinement for mass use and production, the designs are tested, proven and pragmatic vs some silly boutique audiophile DAC with small production runs.

Headphones and speakers are where you get the most for your money, although for headphones the point of diminishing returns is real and it's about ~$250. Theres only so much science and engineering you can cram in transducers that are inches from your ears, it's all sprung up because the audiophile market demands MOAR expensive stuff, and always will.

The point of diminishing returns for speakers/studio monitors are way higher though, and going from something like an LSR 305 in an untreated shit room to high end studio monitors in a treated room will blow your mind. See the mixing/mastering rooms for big time EDM producers and shit.. THATS high fidelity.

>t. richfag objectivist

Attached: hnnggg.jpg (2048x1365, 244K)

Thanks for this. I think I'm done then. I wasn't noticing much of a difference after getting a DAP compared to my phone or a DAC compared to just directly plugging into my computer. Good to know it wasn't just me having shit hearing.

Is it normal for the O2 to get warm randomly? If so, what's the reason? I don't feel it has to do with the volume, it feels random. (I don't shit about electronics)

Attached: SeaQueenOtohime_Alt.jpg (848x1024, 482K)

Now I've got my open and closed back headphone I want a semi-open.. does this ever end

yes when u get speakers it ends

opinions on these?

Attached: file.png (572x572, 39K)

10/10

You need colored open headphones and neutral, same with closed.

>richfag objectivist
>limp dick speakers

better than hd600

Thinking about getting some earcup protectors like pic related, mainly so dust doesn't settle on my earpads, they are a suede type texture so I store them in a drawer, when not in use, I think dust will settle on them and they'll be tricky to clean.
Think it would altar the sound too much to wear them with the protectors on? They are on-ear headphones so I wouldn't have to worry about my ear fitting within the cup with extra fabric over the top.

Attached: fhcb-2-fabric-headphone-covers-black-inside-white-bknd.jpg (900x593, 80K)

Find me something better for 200 bucks and American made.

Attached: magni modi with q701.jpg (800x600, 256K)

Looks very sterile, it doesn't lend itself to the creative process that pic.

>that garbage Alps volume pot

lol

Attached: DSC_0001-2-3.jpg.454bf1312c4e04c83d696e4db283a876.jpg (6016x4000, 1.43M)

>and American made.
kys

>sapphire

It's not my pic but if big ATCs in an audio designed room are limp dick to you whats good m8.

I use genelecs.

I already know your setup

Theres more than one genelec user on this board, which one? Call me out bro.

you are the retard who thinks his setup can't be any better except unless you buy a house but the reality is that your setup is shit and you need to properly dsp correct instead of using archaic hardware

Why speaker talk?

>but the reality is that your setup is shit and you need to properly dsp correct instead of using archaic hardware

I use dsp genelecs, and I know my set up can be better with some room treatment and better placement.

Attached: cal.jpg (1210x1210, 670K)

how are you not embarrassed to show an apple screencap on Sup Forums?