Tech ageism - https://features.propublica.org/ibm/ibm-age-discrimination-american-workers/

>CUTTING ‘OLD HEADS’ AT IBMAs it scrambled to compete in the internet world, the once-dominant tech company cut tens of thousands of U.S. workers, hitting its most senior employees hardest and flouting rules against age bias.

I'm 31 and have alwyas planned on switching/changing careers into IT or some variety of software development. but after reading this shot it sounds so scary. i mean if senior system Devs and engineers don't stand a chance, what are the chances a 30 newb just getting started, and even if i can keep up I'll be the first to get culled the minute they find a cheaper alternative or an AI. there goes my dream, my dream ended before it even started. just.

Attached: images.jpg (275x183, 7K)

Ageism is a problem in just about every industry.
> i mean if senior system Devs and engineers
Those are the most vulnerable positions. They're drawing substantially more pay than fresh hires, and there's also the idea that getting the "old" out will bring in new ideas, etc.

That said, you're only 31. They're booting people who are 45+, and as you said, senior positions. Jumping in as a junior sysadmin/dev would be just fine for you, and if you have a decent work history, you're actually less of a risk than hiring the college kid who may or may not be able to see things through and show up for work on time.

>They're drawing substantially more pay than fresh hires,

And they're much harder to bully into working free overtime.

For sure.

At the risk of going off topic, this is a trend that we're going to see as the middle class gets squeezed out of existence.
Jobs that pay something resembling a comfortable wage are going to continue to become more and more scarce, leading to a job market that heavily favors employers.

>And they're much harder to bully into working free overtime.
And every one of them knows where the dog is buried.
They are likely to groan,"Oh, no. Not again", at every new reorganization. They know more about how the company works than all the MBAs with their newly printed degrees.
That's why they have to go. They'll be replaced with dumb, eager kids who'll hang around long enough to get "2 years at IBM" on their CVs and then skip to the competition. Non-compete? Oh, yes.

Just had an off site software testing seminar today where the speaker opined about how it only got better with age because after a career of successes any hiccup was treated as irrelevant. He's was a contractor/consultant so the balance of his past successes is maybe treated as more relevant than a permanent employee who's current performance is being evaluated, or maybe it is just testers. But he said he relished every grey hair.

>“If you’re over 55, forget about preparing for retirement,” he said in an interview. “You have to prepare for losing your job and burning through every cent you’ve saved just to get to retirement.”

>Alpern had a particular reason for wanting to stay on at IBM, at least until the end of last year. His younger son, Justin, then a high school senior, had been named a National Merit semifinalist. Alpern wanted him to be able to apply for one of the company’s Watson scholarships. But IBM had recently narrowed eligibility so only the children of current employees could apply, not also retirees as it was until 2014.

>Alpern had to make it through December for his son to be eligible.

>But in August, he said, his manager ordered him to retire. He sought to buy time by appealing to superiors. But he said the manager’s response was to threaten him with a bad job review that, he was told, would land him on a PIP, where his work would be scrutinized weekly. If he failed to hit his targets — and his managers would be the judges of that — he’d be fired and lose his benefits.

>Alpern couldn’t risk it; he retired on Oct. 31. His son, now a freshman on the dean’s list at Texas A&M University, didn’t get to apply.

>Edward Kishkill, then 60, of Hillsdale, New Jersey, had made a similar calculation.

>A senior systems engineer, Kishkill recognized the danger of layoffs, but assumed he was immune because he was working in systems security, the “S” in CAMS and another hot area at the company.

>With a daughter who was a senior in high school headed to Boston University, he scrambled to apply, but came up dry. His last day was May 31, 2016.

fug. programmers are like the new underclass.

Attached: entry level.png (831x1079, 208K)

Marjorie Madfis, the digital marketing strategist, couldn’t land another tech job after her 2013 layoff, so she headed in a different direction. She started a nonprofit called Yes She Can Inc. that provides job skills development for young autistic women, including her 21-year-old daughter.

After almost two years of looking and desperate for useful work, Brian Paulson, the widely traveled IBM senior manager, applied for and landed a position as a part-time rural letter carrier in Plano, Texas. He now works as a contract project manager for a Las Vegas gaming and lottery firm.

Ed Kishkill, the senior systems engineer, works part time at a local tech startup, but pays his bills as an associate at a suburban New Jersey Staples store.

>This year, Paul Henry was back on the road, working as an IBM subcontractor in Detroit, about 200 miles from where he lived in Columbus. On Jan. 8, he put in a 14-hour day and said he planned to call home before turning in. He died in his sleep.

Attached: 1480058372004.png (591x864, 396K)

> “When your old-ass parent is like, 'I don't know how to send an iMessage,' and you're just like, 'Give me the fucking phone and let me handle it.'
identity politics is now including age along with race. expect companies to start talking about "age diversity" (aka nobody over 30).

Attached: gun-rally-960x540.png (960x540, 366K)

While these stories are pretty fucking tragic, it is also important note the significance of building your own retirement fund.
If you save 25% of your income, you'll be able to retire in 30 years. Sooner, if you can increase your savings rate as you make more money.

You see a problem like ageism and you blame it on diversity and "identity politics"? How does someone even get this warped

>How does someone even get this warped
Sup Forums

what about someone going back to school at 30 with no savings, and eventually getting new career in mid or late 30s?

Attached: 1521533470270.jpg (623x733, 39K)

have you not been paying attention? The pariahs of today's society are OLD straight white males.

I'm a /lit/fag, and in universities the new mantra is "No more dead white males", meaning "Fuck Shakespeare and Whitman and Hugo, we need more of Daqueesha, the 22-year old trans crippled haitian refugee, because her perspective is so unique and diverse"

Well clearly I haven't, because I just can't wrap my head around how someone sees blatant diacrimination and their reaction is "fuck anti-discrimination"

>fuck anti-discrimination
wait, are you saying the left's identity politics is anti-discrimination? Boy, you are in for a rude awakening once you hit the real world.

because """"diversity"""" hiring brings incompetent idiots in the company, making older white people to lose their jobs so they can hire younger competent people

Well it's kinda hard to parse something as insane as the original message. It's like someone noticed an issue but instead of being capable of admitting that maybe the political position they're supporting is contributing to, it has the be the opposite position causing it. It's like they noticed that diacrimination can actually hurt them too, but since they've been against anti-discriminatory policies for so long that they're unable to see the contradiction.
So are you okay with discriminatory hiring, such as hiring younget people just on the meri of beinh younger?

>hiring younger
they are hired because they cost less than some old-timer, not discrimination.

So hiring pajeets instead of white bois isn't discrimination either? Well then, I don't know people here are complaining about

IBM and their management is scum. Most the local talent was replaced with offshore indians not too long ago, and the offshore indians are fucking useless.

Unless you have a customer-facing job and actually deal directly with customers, you will get laid off.

Everyone that isn't customer facing in my department just got laid off and if not for customers refusing to work with directly with indians I'm pretty sure my entire department would be replaced by indians.

my work literally hires 200+ out of college/uni kids every 6 months while firing a bunch of seniors.

Management is fucking retarded, but what do you expect when management is people who only deal with contracts and "economics", not actual technical people.

>the generation who said "never trust anyone over thirty" complain about age discrimination

lel

will the ultimate AI search for god status?

GREEDY IRRELEVANT OLD AMERICAN WHITES WILL DESTROY THE AMERICAN ECONOMY AND TECH SECTOR