What Linux distro without systemd? Debian Squeeze is antiquated and later releases pull in systemd as a dependency...

What Linux distro without systemd? Debian Squeeze is antiquated and later releases pull in systemd as a dependency, cannot possibly remove it.

Attached: 1521646404445.jpg (800x1158, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Slackware

Install Gentoo

(seriously)

I think there's a separate version of Debian which has no systemd, called Devuan. I have no idea how good that distro is. I just use Debian

Just use systemd, you turbo-autist.
It's actually quite good.

Literally never used
Too high maintenance
Looks good. Any idea who's behind this distro and how trustworthy they are?
Nice try CIA

Arch => Parabola
Buguntu (Ubuntu) => Trisquel
Void
Gentoo
You have a lot of options

Slackware

gentoo barely has any maintenance

artix

Devuan, Hyperbola

Attached: devuan.jpg (730x430, 25K)

debian has possibly the easiest removal of systemd I have seen

Crux

Google "without systemd" there is a very good wiki page that has more info than autists on Sup Forums are going to give you.

Devuan is a Debian fork made by old Debian maintainers who didn't like the systemd thing so they forked the distro.

Devuan compiles and reconfigures all packages it can so they don't depend on systemd, but all other packages (for instance, LibreOffice) are downloaded directly from Debian's repositories.

The stable branch is Jessie and is based on Debian Jessie, but you can use Devuan Ascii or Ceres which are based on the Stretch and Unstable branches, respectively; though you will need to configure apt to not install systemd ever.

Brainlet here. Can anyone give an explanation for why I wouldn't want to use systemd that's a little more detailed than just "bloat"?

Nothing. It's just that, "lel bloat".

There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

First off, it is bloat. Secondly, a huge monolithic system running as process should make you uncomfortable, one bug, one exploit, and so many things are affected. Also, Puttering is a dickhead who had known NSA ties, and very little of systemd's code is actually audited. Its really concerning how systemd is trying to replace all core utils.

>guaranteed_replies.gif

>*slaps your tty*

Attached: poettering.jpg (3456x2304, 2.71M)

Not truly freedom.

>
>Looks good. Any idea who's behind this distro and how trustworthy they are?
It started from a collective of Debian developers and sys admins ("Veteran Unix Admins", hence the "vua" name change), now it's backed by dyne.org. It's a solid distribution, already used in production. The stable release (jessie) is still based on Debian jessie but ascii, based on stretch (that's what I'm currently running) is in beta, and you can already download the new installer ISO. If it's for your desktop go with that. While there are still packages for sysvinit in mainline Debian, Devuan really relieves the hassle of hacking shit up just to replace systemd

Attached: ThreeDimensional_861.jpg (770x1024, 117K)

should we call it systemd/linux instead gnu/linux?

puttering's end-game is systemd/systemd

>Literally never used
Paradoxical thinking

I'd like to interject, what you are referring to linux is....

nice one, newfag.

is.... linux

When your too much of a dumbass to know anything about SystemD, and the only reason you don't like it because some/g/ meme said it's bad.