Alright Sup Forums, help me decide on my FOSS donations for this year...

Alright Sup Forums, help me decide on my FOSS donations for this year. The list is very tentative of course(some items are not even open source lol).

Tier 1 - Highest donation per item
KDE
FreeBSD
Linux Foundation
Libreoffice
GIMP
OpenStreetMap
Inkscape
F Droid
Piwik
Reprap
openrisc/riscV/etc
Openscad
Xposed
Raspberry Pi
Arduino
LibreBoot
Zoneminder alternative
Firefox
Ubnutu
Wordpress
VLC

Tier 2 - Medium donations per item
Porteus
TWRP
Omnirom
Replicant
AdAway
AdBlock
Krita
Blender
Conversations
AFWall
OSMand
Slax
Legacy OS(do I mean Lineage?)

Tier 3 - Low donation per item
NoScript
Xprivacy
FreeCAD
FSF
OpenVPN Android
DownThemAll
Audacity
IceCat Mobile
X11
Wayland
Qemu
KVM
Sailfish
OpenVPN
K9 Mail
Throwawaymail
Riot
phhusson
uBlock Origin
Slic3r
Prusa
Nophead
Equate

Attached: win.png (715x510, 33K)

If I were in a position to donate, I'd def donate to: KDE, LibreOffice, GIMP, RISC-V, LibreBoot, VLC, Blender, Audacity and ProtonMail/VPN

uBlock origin doesn't accept donations. You are likely being jewed by Chris Aljoudi

Attached: 1498021383366.png (906x226, 18K)

>VLC

Attached: 1510382016889.gif (400x300, 728K)

Krita of course!

Attached: kiki.png (1473x1473, 655K)

Donate all your life savings to arch linux. Thank you.

I use arch btw

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-27 15-29-32.png (722x471, 63K)

Libreboot
Replicant
Wayland

On the BSD side of things replace CuckBSD with Dragonfly and possibly add Open. HAMMER2 should be portable enough (unlike HAMMER) so we might finally get a decent FS on linux, once it's finnished.

When donating to FreeBSD always remember that you support feminism for diversity.
Better donate for projects that matter like OpenBSD.

>Wayland
Please do not give your money to Freedesktop.org

What's the issue with freedesktop.org?

Which is the most promising RISC project currently?

Which is the clear leader or the largest contributor in the *BSD area?

I'd like to concentrate donations on 1 player, rather than spreading it too thin.

Wouldn't it be fun if Sup Forums had annual donation day to free software projects?
A bunch of anons who can donates whatever they can to one project voted on.
Would be pretty nice if you ask me

Gnome and systemd fuckery.

Are they related to freedesktop? I thought freedesktop is independant

>inb4 Sup Forums voting on dumbphone with mechanical keypad running gentoo mobile

A lot of overlap happens with those projects. GNOME has too much influence on freedesktop standards.

A recent example is GNOME pushing for client side decorations in Wayland.

A grown up and responsible user should make a vote list.

>implying that best DE pushing standards is a bad thing
There should be some standards, lack of standards is what holding linux based distributions from becoming year of linux desktop

Can Sup Forums tell me the current state of addons on nu-Firefox?

I believe Downthemall has been neutered and development has seized.

What about ABP, Noscript etc? Are they still being developed on the new platform?

Imagine the amount of donations foss devs would get if there was a patreon tier platform to give them money for updates n shit

FreeBSD probably IS the largest, but you'd be funding feminist advisors (yes, they actually PAYED one of those). Both, Open and Dragonfy are inovative, Open being specifically focused on security, Dragonfly more generally (see HAMMER2 as an example, but they have other cool shit like saving processes and more)

Should we really trust the DE with a hard dependency on systemd to be setting standards?

systemd is another project bringing standards.
I hate it too, as much as everyone else who wants linux to keep unix philosophy.
But, without things like this, without dumbed down linux, it won't move from servers to desktops very far.

where is slackware?

What's with the influx of slackware autismos in Sup Forums recently? Is it just one guy?

There are 2 derivatives of Slackware on the list. That's the best I can do.

Interestingly, one of them(Slax) switched from the slackware base to debian.

Gnome and SystemD are both good and cool, user.

You've put me in a bit of a quandary there mate. I guess I'll have to search around to decide between fem advisors or smaller userbase

FreeBSD has elections this fall, so you can wait to see how that ends, or if donating will give you a vote you can do that. While you're at it, there's a leaked mailing list where they discuss the CoC, you can look at that to see how bad it is.

Nouveau. They go through a lot of trouble to legally reverse engineer expensive nVidia GPUs to produce drivers.

lol, don't use novideo then? AMD drivers are much superior and always will be, nvidia doesn't give a fuck about open source.
Ask Linus

OpenScad
Blender
OpenVPN I guess.

Just to clarify mate, I didn't mean for anyone to pick from the list and tell me what they would like me to donate to.

You can recommend projects that I haven't listed, perhaps I'm not familiar with them.

>Tier 1 - Highest donation per item
>KDE
>FreeBSD
>Linux Foundation

Attached: 1479910395335.png (608x653, 487K)

Oh okay, Ardour top tier. It's the best DAW on Linux and used in the industry frequently.

Tier 3 seems like the only decent one.

>KDE
Got shitload of money from fundraising and Pineapple just recently
>FreeBSD
Just go read the coc emails
>Linux Foundation
Did you even read up on them? They're the most useless one of the bunch, no benefit for end user
>Libreoffice
They seem to have a lot of money already
>Raspberry Pi
Why would you donate to a for profit business
>Firefox
Are you serious
>Ubuntu
Big enough corp with corporate funding
>VLC
Gets a ton of money plus government money support, bad software
>AdBlock
Obsolete
>Conversations
They make money out of selling their app and make it hard for normies to understand it's actually free
>Riot
Just got over 6 million USD in funding

I'd give most money to OSTIF, they're running a fundraiser to fund a professional audit of OpenSSL.

If the horsefuckers can do it, Sup Forums should he able to as well

Someone please give money to sway so that it actually works

I'm fucking sick of X11

Project E-nable.

enablingthefuture.org

They give prostetic 3d-printed hands to amputee children. If you have a 3D printer, then instead of money, you can donate a hand you made yourself.

>OSTIF
Nice, I loves me some audits.

And although I agree with you on a lot of your points(this is a very tentative list afterall), I disagree on you equating investment funding with donations.

The point is, why the fuck would you donate on something that already has millions in the bank? Instead of something that's done legitimately out of donations like WINE or something.
Also look at SPI and... Whatever the other umbrella nonprofit is, the one that hosts WINE.

The reason for still donating to well funded projects is (hopefully) to ensure that the ratio between corporate funding and donations doesn't get skewed to a point where the projects starts abandoning qualities that made them popular/great in favor for commercial interests dictated by the investors.

Luckily such projects eventually collapse, and a new FOSS project takes its place; but it takes a long time before it reaches the former glory, if at all.

>ctrl+f
>open broadcasting software
>0 results
Shit thread

You can't compete with the literal millions these projects get, and there's plenty of other projects that need it worse.

It adds up if enough people do it. Of course, I wouldn't advocate people to do it for the projects you quoted me on. Better projects out there as you said.

On the subject of projects needing it worse, can we have some more open hardware projects? The only ones I have so far are Reprap, arduino and openrisc.

>not just using ffmpeg