How can anyone defend this?

How can anyone defend this?

github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/wiki/OpenGL-and-AMD-GPUs---All-you-need-to-know

Attached: Amd_Square logo.png (1526x1600, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cemu.info/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

limited resources, shit emulator with broken graphics no matter which backend you use

AMDcultists will find a way, don't you worry.

AYYMD HAS NO DRIVERS

cemu.info/
>Intel GPU: Not officially supported. Heavy visual glitches.
Intel confirmed incompetent.
AMI DOIN IT RITE?

>b-but Intel
pathetic desu

>To avoid the worst of the bugs make sure you do the following:
>Make sure you are using the most recent AMD drivers.
>Make sure to use the latest PCSX2 development build, as it will have the latest fixes/workarounds in place to improve the situation.
wow it's fucking nothing

yeah, intel GPUs are dogshit. more at 11.

70% performance loss is "fucking nothing"?

>Q: Fine, but all of the above is Windows only. What about Linux?
>A: The same roughly applies to closed drivers (both fglrx and AMDGPU-PRO). Open ones are instead thebestcurrent setup for an AMD card over OpenGL as of now.
WANGBLOWS BTFO
HOW WILL MICROSOFT EVER RECOVER?

The things I mentioned are what you have to do to stop that from happening.
Literally just don't use outdated drivers and PCSX2.

>limited resources
>multi-million company can't do it
>freetards do it for FREE with their open sore drivers

This is not a case of limited resources, this is a case of AMD deciding YOU the AMD Windows OGL USER isn't worth the investment.
They are virtually giving you the middle finger and you fucking defend them.

'hey thanks for buying our gpus, ogl? uh sorry we dont support that but thank you agian for giving us your money kk bye'

pretty much. they never got audio right

OpenGL on Windows is a niche so there's no reason to waste anything more than the bare minimum resources on it.

Their Mesa open source OpenGL driver is already better in most cases. When they get some of the user interface features and compatibility profiles squared out they'll probably just drop the proprietary driver altogether and ship a closed version of Mesa on Windows too for OpenGL workloads. They've already made a good effort in opening up and sharing parts of their driver stack between Linux and Windows.

This will minimize the graphical issues, performance is still garbage
>This is an optimization issue on AMD's side. There is no workaround for this issue. People will need to wait for a proper working driver.

Microsoft has been gimping OGL for decades
Nothing new here

What seems to often happen is that developers work only with Nvidia hardware during development, which is not unreasonable, but then not knowing that the Nvidia drivers aren't held as tightly to spec as the AMD drivers, the developers are surprised when the AMD stack doesn't work the same and assume that it's the AMD drivers that are at fault.

Counterintuitively, the answer apparently is to develop with the AMD stack, even though Nvidia has the greater marketshare. I can vouch for this first-hand as I do develop graphics.

an emulator tries to emulate a console with amd on it
cant do shit and blames amd because the console that has amd on it cant be emulated on amd hardware

??????????????????????????????????

non sequitur

The PS2 does not have any AMD chips in it you fucking moron. The issue is from how the AMD video drivers handle specific OpenGL API calls incorrectly. Its a driver issue that the PCSX2 devs cant fix because they're not AMD.

>OpenGL API calls incorrectly
Wrong.

Even Intel GPUs offer better OpenGL performance than AMDshit

Fuck off shill

Name

ARB_separate_shader_objects

Name Strings

GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects

Contact

Mark Kilgard, NVIDIA (mjk 'at' nvidia.com)
Greg Roth, NVIDIA (groth 'at' nvidia.com)
Pat Brown, NVIDIA (pbrown 'at' nvidia.com)

Why am i not surprised? Nvidia again implemented something specifically for their cards, but troublesome to implement correctly for amd architecture.

Its an open standard, its not a proprietary API call. It's AMD's fuck up that it's not implemented correctly.
Historically NVIDIA has always had the best OpenGL drivers. You kids likely don't remember how bad most manufacurer's drivers were especially for OpenGL back in the Win98 or even XP days. AMD/ATI only got their shit together somewhat for OpenGL in the Win7 era.

>nvidia trying to squeeze as much performance as possible out of their cards

THE HORROR

OpenGL is old shit that no one uses anymore. AMD doesn't have the budget to solve issues that a fringe amount of users faces. Put one and two together, and said issues aren't going to get fixed any time soon.

Just use vulkan or write a good opengl wrapper over vulkan.

>OpenGL is old shit that no one uses anymore.
Except its the API that drives all graphics on all smart phones and all OSs outside of Windows, and a fair amount of Windows applications as well for both productivity and games.
There is way more OpenGL shit in the wild then DX.

>pcsx2
who gives a shit? who the fuck emulatas ps2 games when you could just pick up the console it self for 10 bucks?

>2018
>opengl
>de/g/enerate fa/g/gots don't know what vulkan is
wow Sup Forums is such a competent tech board

Yes, but asides from this emulator and a couple others, none of those OGL applications actually require big amounts of GPU processing power. They're all trivial and easily done.
If games were mostly built in OGL, AMD would optimize for it. But it's DX, so that's where AMD optimizes.

They could always invest in building for Vulkan, which would bring benefits to everyone. But obviously, they don't want to do that, just like AMD doesn't want to invest into OGL at this point. It's dead.

You can have better graphics emulating.

Higher resolution, save states, mods and translations are easier to access, can use any controller you want.
You know, the basic fucking perks that come with any emulator

>Its an open standard, its not a proprietary
It's an EXTENSION to the open standard, not a standard itself. It's literally same as eglstreams for vulkan by nvidia, they decided not to implement existing thing, but developed their own shit and now wayland compositors to work on nvidia have to implement official extension to work on amd and intel and that nvidia garbage.

>If games were mostly built in OGL,
There are. DOOM 2016 is OpenGL, so is Unity titles and many others.

>DOOM 2016 is OpenGL
It's a vulkan game first and foremost.

>vulkan
Meant wayland.

DOOM 2016 runs on Vulkan, though. OGL implementation is secondary.
Unity is garbage and runs like shit on any hardware, too. Plus, no actual games are made on it, just indie shit no one cares about.

Yeah, and it runs like a cold slob of shit on OpenGL
OpenGL is a faggot tier shit meme used only by Indian codemonkeys

The fuck is that?

WHOA, stop typing logical things!

AMD should have the best OpenGL performance on Windows, even though the majority of (((gaymers))) buy and advertise Nvidia and Microsoft bloated shitware doesn't comfy comply with the competition, i.g. OpenGL.

>Complain about OpenGL drivers
>on Windows

where is sides?

>using AMD
>trying to play games

where are my oysters?

the superscalar design was from ati user they paid royalties for it

but hey dont tell actual technical truths get in your way

pcsx2 is zsnes tier, don't use it.

Attached: OWNUQax.png (1385x992, 748K)

>zsnes tier

Fast, low input lag and 95% game compatibility?

great emulator, never had any single problem with it since at least 2013

*nix autists BTFO

OpenGL is deprecated so who cares?

Actual the exist opposite retard. The open source Linux drivers work great. The windows closed source drivers are the ones that don't work.

>>freetards do it for FREE with their open sore drivers
The people who develop them are mostly AMD employees you retard.

buggy, strange timing issues due to hacks made to increase perception of "low input lag", aimed at pirates rather than at serious homebrew developers and preservationists

>serious homebrew developers and preservationists

Attached: 1e353w.jpg (500x688, 92K)

PS2 used some MIPS CPU and a Toshiba GPU.
Absolutely nothing from ATi.

Correction, they never got the sync right.
Neither video nor audio is synced smoothly whatsoever. There's like constant stutter for both. Which while obvious in the video, is not as painfully apparent as in the audio, due to cracks and pops and shit.

But audio itself works absolutely beautiful in games where you can use asynchronous mode, like Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist of the Roses.
You can even run at turbo rates while still having both BGM and SFX run normal speed.
200% running rate is nice for that game since it's entirely turn based and it gives the game proper 60FPS. The only thing that ever needs timed, the slot machine, is actually easier there.
Sadly, async audio doesn't seem to work right on most games. It fucks up game timing, skips effects, and sometimes causes crashes. It's not something to rely on anyway.

gj mr graphics

>GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects
>mandated by OpenGL 4.1
>mandated by OpenGL ES 3.1

Pretty much as part of the standard as it gets. Even Apple promises support for this.

hm. how are toshiba gpus for mining these days?

There's actually a lot more than just AMD employees. Intel invests a lot in core Mesa development which helps AMD a lot and then there are studios like Feral who port games and send patches to work around issues they run into. Valve is also a player and employs a team of developers working on Mesa, AMD drivers and overall Linux graphics stack.

The point stands still. Most of the developers are paid professionals.

You don't know what the fuck are you talking about, OpenGL on AMD is fucking broken
The less you can expect is HUGE performance loss

>playstation 2 emulation

nothing of value here fucking manchildren

And what is you better choice?

AMD OGL driver are so broken that it give you a 30-50% performance loss on Citra (compared to Linux's MESA) and you can't use the new GPU renderer.

t. R9 280x user

What specifically is causing the crashes there? I remember they said it's related to shader compilation or something and that they did link to AMD's official shite for the issue report.

It's vulkan or nothing
Thank god for ppsspp devs for the change from Ogl to vulkan

I can't defend AMD, Intel, ARM or NVIDIA. They're all shit but they're all we have.

This

vulkan is literally the updated opengl

anyone wanna guess why they havent jumped fully the gun yet? LOL

a ps2

Just use the open source amdgpu driver.

On Windows?

it's possible

Install GNU/linux

What do I do if I'm running w8.1 and want to use pcsx2? AMD dropped support for 8.1, which infuriates me to no end.

You have three options:

>1
Use a non-shit version of Windows

>2
Use a non-shit GPU

>3
Use a non--shit OS

>anyone wanna guess why they havent jumped fully the gun yet?
Something about not worth the hassle because it'll result in 0% performance gains?

I've heard the OpenGL drivers for AMD caused issues with Citra as well.

>shit emulator with broken graphics no matter which backend you use

the CPU renderer has done every game for me flawless. I don't need games upscaled to 982470p so I don't need to use buggy OGL renderers, I prefer accuracy.

Also they can just use the D3D renderer if OGL is broken.

>70% performance loss is "fucking nothing"?

Considering my socket 939 Athlon 64x2 with a radeon 1950x could max out PCSX2 with hardware renderer in 1920x1080 native resolution, no. 70% performance loss still means that it runs perfect on a Core 2 Duo with a Geforce 8600GT.

Isn't that because the PS2 runs in NTSC spec 59.97Hz, not 60Hz like your monitor? If so, can't you just switch your monitor to that output and have no more issues?

no pcsx2 doesn't have any form of vsync that works nor does it even have a fullscreen mode. It's all borderless window shit that stutters like a bitch because of the windows compositor.

typical pcsx2 experience

Attached: 2018-02-21 21-43-22.webm (1280x720, 2.87M)

Attached: PCSX2 is a fucking meme.jpg (1136x618, 178K)

>AyyMyDrivers

>Also they can just use the D3D renderer if OGL is broken.
Except D3D is limited to Windows.

Use directX on windows and mesa driver on linux :^)

/thread

>Open source emulator still bothering with OpenGL
Vulkan has been available for years now. Drop that shit already.

>Using Nvidia
>Try to mine Monero

Where are my oysters?

On Linux there are the great Mesa drivers though. There is no reason to use AMDGPU-Pro drivers on Linux unless someone is doing CAD. Even then, there is libglvnd to use the drivers simultanously thanks to the shared kernel module.

PCSX2 is shit, it is just terrible in everything. They can't even split workloads through cpu cores.

Are there other PS2 emulators?

>all these PCSX2 is shit posts
Just install linux. Works great over here with mesa.

>They can't even split workloads through cpu cores.
But it's been able to use 3 cores for the CPU load for years now...
I really do think most of Sup Forums hasn't used the software for like 5-7 years and dosn't realize how good it is now and how good the software renderer is if you have 2-3 cores to throw at it.

I honestly think it's just Windows. I'm pretty sure most of the improvements in the past few years have been mostly on the Linux side.

You can force exclusive fullscreen with GeDoSaTo. It'd require using the DirectX backend on PCSX2 though.

it doesn't do anything. At least it doesn't help with enabling vsync or anything like that.

so basicly devs cant dev while the rest of the world pretty much has already showcased the benefits of vulkan

but hey lets use opengl which hasnt been updated for some millenias