New generation of kids is literally born into modern technology

>new generation of kids is literally born into modern technology
>is almost as tech illiterate as baby boomers

What went wrong? I got my first PC when I was 9 years old in the early 1990s but that didn't stop me from learning how to use it. My 16-year-old nephew couldn't figure out how to print a document from his phone. Even though I don't use an iPhone, I figured it out within a few minutes.

Attached: modern laptop user.jpg (900x1200, 204K)

Other urls found in this thread:

macleans.ca/society/technology/the-myth-of-tech-savvy-kids/
coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/
youtube.com/watch?v=wQYob6dpTTk
youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

idiocracy turned out to be a documentary

An article I read said it best:

>Older, dumber computers forced their users to be smarter. Having to enter commands into an MS-DOS prompt meant speaking to computers in their own cryptic language, which forced us to learn how these machines think. Today’s kids are brought up on user-friendly, idiot-proof devices that don’t even require the know-how to to replace the batteries. The result is a generation of kids who are as reliant on technology as they are mystified by it.

People are technologically illiterate because Microsoft and Apple have successfully made Tech focused on the lowest common denominator. Everything has been reduced to swiping and tapping, and any companies who want to compete have to conform to this standard. A caveman could easily learn how to use today’s products, and the model works.

/thread

1990's tech was more open to experimentation because you had to read a manual to get any work done, and reading the manual itself would make you familiar with advanced concepts and get you curious.

Contemporary UI and """UX""" design focuses on making tech locked-down and idiot proof. One of the main tenets of """UX""" design is that if the user has to crack open a manual, then you designed a bad interface. This obviously goes against the spirit of tinkering with your tech, but companies realized this is what people respond to and make devices that are more and more locked down than before.

So kids growing up with these things never even get to learn about the cool things you can do because they never read a manual in their life.

Youre an autistic faggot so idk why you seem to be on a high horse here

pretty much this.

I mean, it’s not like tech shouldnt be easy to use. Most people are doing normie shit with it. Though people should probably be more tech literate, for example, I’m at uni and the amount of dumb bitches who buy supremely overpowered laptops because “I need it because I’m uni student now and need powerful pro laptop” when all they use is word and facebook is astounding.

Everything is abstracted behind a GUI and whatever else. Abstraction fosters illiteracy.
Furthermore, few humans can learn every niche snippet of knowledge that is required to not be ignorant. Even Sup Forums, which may know how to use the CLI and program, is undoubtedly ignorant to many aspects of their lives. Nonetheless, I believe if you rely on technology, you should learn more about it beyond more "just works". It shouldn't be a problem to spend a couple hours when you otherwise spend hundreds not-learning. But modern capitalism shields the consumer, and they remain ignorant.

Tech shouldn't be easy to use fucking retard.

Attached: 1517938451215.jpg (507x540, 90K)

Everything "just werks" now. Used to be kids were forced to learn a thing or two just to get a game running or get on the internet to IM with their friends. Now it's all made to be idiot-proof.

I honestly dont know if im doing it wrong or our printers a piece of shit

But i cannot make it print my fucking document even from my pc with bluetooth. Google didnt help.

Shockingly they are MORE tech illiterate according to the OECD adult skills analysis which tested technological literacy. The lowest scoring group in the world out of all age groups tested was the early 20 year old group. Worse yet they didn't just barely score under the other age groups, the scores were noted as "abysmal".

Young people often get interest confused with ability. You're dad not giving a fuck about your Xbox One and caring enough to learn how to use it does not mean he lacks the ability to do so. He just has other shit that is more important to him. If he actually gave a shit objective testing shows he would likely be better than you at whatever dumb baby tech shit you're messing around with.

That's what he said. And here we are.

Attached: rst.jpg (220x167, 14K)

It'll get better. Grade school kids are being taught about computers and programming in public school these days. We'll just have a lost generation of people who were born just in time to get powerful advanced technology but too soon for their schools to give a shit about teaching them anything about it so all they learned how to do was tap a screen and consume media.

>back in my day we used to have to grow the food! now you just walk to the supermarket, hurr durr it shouldn’t be this way!

We'll travel to distant galaxies and printers will still be shit

If anything, tech should make developing and implementing (safe & secure) algorithms easier, not harder. I bet this faggot doesn't miss writing shit in actual machine code

>Furthermore, few humans can learn every niche snippet of knowledge that is required to not be ignorant. Even Sup Forums, which may know how to use the CLI and program, is undoubtedly ignorant to many aspects of their lives. Nonetheless, I believe if you rely on technology, you should learn more about it beyond more "just works". It shouldn't be a problem to spend a couple hours when you otherwise spend hundreds not-learning. But modern capitalism shields the consumer, and they remain ignorant.
/thread
This begs the question; how computer literate should the average person be?

People voted for Trump, don't be surprised

this but unironically

>muh drumpf

You all are delusional, kids are more interested in tech now than ever before. When I was a kid, if someone offered a 'coding class for kids' no one would have showed up. Now every major city has one and they're packed.

True I guess, but this whole thread screams of “back in my day” fucking morons. Like you need to know how your engine works to drive a car.

Consider this though, computers and tech are impacting our lives significantly, and things like violation of personal privacy and data collection are pretty big threats, so being literate on one of the most ubiquitous and versatile tools is somewhat important. Granted, privacy is bigger than tech, and understanding its importance requires a different kind of literacy, but being sufficiently tech literate is relevant to it.

Practically every country that makes a woman their leader gets cucked. I only know of one exception so far.

I often wonder if you people realize you sound like teatards bitching about obamas birth certificate, except the leftist version.

Link?

You don't need to, but you should always have a good working knowledge of anything you use. I DO know how my engine works and if I break down on the side of the road I can probably at least determine what the problem is. Same thing with my computer. Some problems might be for professionals but minor stuff is always important to know. The internet makes not knowing anything inexcusable anymore. I fix my central AC, all my appliances, my car, my computer, and my house. RTFM and go, it works unless what youre doing is a skill (like making drywall seams pretty).

Le Pen would have been an exception i think. But I generally agree with you. Women lead with their heart, men with their brain. Its a problem at all levels of leadership.

nice we went full circle

Aung San Suu Kyi of Myanmar is the only female leader who I've seen not cuck her own country but actually do a lot of good with impressive accomplishments.

Looks like this one
macleans.ca/society/technology/the-myth-of-tech-savvy-kids/

Please stop bringing this fat, dumb, orange nigger into every discussion. Please.

What I hate is how nowadays, your device/software tries to do the thinking for you. Best example is Windows 10. It makes all the decision for you. It feels as if it's no longer your own personal computer.

coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

DESU, this is what normies need/want. They treat their computer like they treat their car, they want to turn the ignition, use it for a simple task, and not care about anything inside besides filling up the gas.

This but at the same time public schools are focusing more on computer courses. Most public schools offer programming courses when such a thing was unheard of a decade ago and a computer course is generally taken every single semester as well.

>smart get smarter
>dumb get dumber
Everything is as it should be.

Attached: 1522162884505.jpg (1280x720, 118K)

until those dumb people outnumber the smart ones and riot and then fuck your wife.

ITT: people assume something of an entire generation based on anecdotal samples
>mfw it turns out Sup Forums are the retards

Attached: 1521958326128.jpg (1001x1024, 80K)

>t. assblasted itoddler

How come I got my first computer in 2006 (were a fucking 17yo) and have no trouble using it?
Am I a genius?
Kids are just lazy and brainwashed by youtubers and such. This is really dumb generation.
There's less important to learn something (like a fact of something or a theorem), because you know you can just google it.

I use arch btw

27 and have been fiddling with tech since I was in kindergarten, currently work in security. try again friendo

This. If there is one thing I wish would just werk it's fucking printers

you don't need to lie on the internet kid. go eat a tide pod.

you being unemployed doesn't mean the rest of us are

What went wrong? Back then we were forced to learn our way with computers. Plug-and-play was still a concept and you had to set jumpers and dip-switches just to get a sound card's DAC to work over DMA. PC gaming (on DOS at least) often required messing with config.sys and autoexec.bat to squeeze out that last kilobyte or two of conventional memory to get a game running. Technology was designed for the adept, and you either put effort into it or you got shut out. Fast forward to today and we have operating systems that literally fight the user to do what it does on its own in an attempt to turn computers into turn-key home appliances. And it's not just computers, but technology in general that caters to the dumbest of the dumb by automating things to the point that it's often detrimental to the user.

tl;dr normies ruined it for the rest of us

implying most millennials or gen x are better
Besides, technology is harmful anyway. Based boomers and genz.

Trump was one of those incidents where every decision in isolation makes perfect sense, but overall the process is a disaster. The choice ended between two narcissistic sociopaths. One has a long history of destroying society for profit, while the other has a long history of blowing hot air. And hey, Trump isn't actually the worst president as it turns out (despite what the supermarket tabloid level modern media says).

I think the American people made the best of a shit hand.

Bah. There were just as many tech-illiterate people in the 80s who only knew how to run WordPerfect on a PC.

well printing is pretty outdated and wasteful, it's no surprise the next generation would be moving away from it

my first experience with pc was when i was 6 yo and since then i never really had a huge issue with technology in general... i have no idea what happened with the kids these days

>65283569

I host LAN parties and this has become pretty apparent. People no longer know how to pirate games, play on LAN, diagnose booting issues or even plug in all the cords.

i disaprove out of context politics, but you are damn right

From the 1500s onward, books were readily available to Joe Schmoe yet literacy wasn't common until the 20th century. Why do you think that is? Now how can you apply that situation to this one? Now delete yourself for asking such a stupid question that even a little bit of rumination would answer.

WordPerfect is a pretty cryptic piece of software by modern standards. I mean, you start it up and get nothing but a screen of blue.

youtube.com/watch?v=wQYob6dpTTk
I don't even live in America yet I hear this name every fucking day. It doesn't matter which puppet you Americans have in the whitehouse so shut the fuck up.

Tech should make hard jobs easy. Just that. Nothing more, nothing less. But these days technology makes tasks that are simple (seemingly) either impossible or strange and roundabout, and tasks that are complex totally unknowable because there's no thirst for those complex functions.

And I disagree that powerful machinery should be used without any training or education.

this is... huh... wow

>Having to enter commands into an MS-DOS prompt meant speaking to computers in their own cryptic language, which forced us to learn how these machines think.
That hasn't been a thing since the late 80's, 30 years ago.
The biggest learning experience was making Windows do stuff it was really buggy at, from time to time.
Idem for most platform.

I've literally never met a person younger than 30 who types properly. Do they not teach this in schools anymore?

Nope. I literally had to switch keyboard layouts to learn to type properly.

I only know how to type because I took it as an elective in junior high. They literally taught us on a typewriter. This would've been around 1997, I think.

In elementary school we had "typing practice" on antique macs, but the teachers would literally just put us in front of the computers then leave the room. Nobody learned anything. I think it was mostly just an excuse for the teachers to take a smoke break.

Public school computer courses are just adverts for Microsoft office to make sure a prospective employee is familiar with Microsofts software. They don't into computing.

This whole thread is akin to a bunch of bitter old men complaining about the modern world.

You're all right, though.

doubt it, i left college in 2005, and the only things covered was how to use msoffice, and even that's pushing it, it was just basic stuff you can figure out yourself easily
>but the teachers would literally just put us in front of the computers then leave the room. Nobody learned anything. I think it was mostly just an excuse for the teachers to take a smoke break.
sounds about right, for a few classes we were told to make a flash animation in flash mx 2004, the teacher did nothing but answer questions as they came, no guidance or actual tasks to do

? I never even saw a Windows PC in public school. Everything was Apple. Steve Jobs bragged about how they would sell their computers to school below cost as an indoctrination tactic to create a generation of retards who only know how to use macs.

I had to learn this in junior high and again in highschool. I played wow for a few years in highschool and it made me unlearn proper typing (since you are often typing to people while doing actions in the game). Since then I type with 4 fingers at 50-70 wpm.

From what I remember hearing, it depends on the country. I think anglophone countries don't bother at all, assuming that "oh kids all know how to do that already; they're on their desktops at home anyway", so stupid, outdated thinking and assumptions. Problem is this culture also doesn't teach kids how to handwrite beyond a kindergartner's basic scrawl of letter forms, so these kids don't know how to communicate beyond emojis and the occasional autistic mumble. It's horrifying.
I have a french nephew and a german one, and they're taught to handwrite and I think type now too.
Wtf is it with the English speaking countries? Fucking top of the world then dropped the fucking ball for someone else to pick up.

Shit, I remember some fucking sudacas talking about how they were taught to type, handwrite and (more or less) public speak at school.

>2006
Todays kids are raised on smart phones and tablets.

>Wtf is it with the English speaking countries? Fucking top of the world then dropped the fucking ball for someone else to pick up.
Jews

>make devices smarter
>this makes people dumber
get fucked

And that generation of retards moved to university and college where they were forced to learn windows, didn't, and now we have nothing but useless fucking graduates with thier macbooks everywhere

I never even saw a Mac until I was like 15. We always had Windows PCs in school from elementary up until university.

The average person doesn't give a shit about how it works and how to make it work (in some cases). They just want it to work whenever they need it to. As someone who is fascinated with tweaking and tinkering with software on my devices, I've come into situations where I try to explain what it is I'm doing or why I'm doing it to the device and people have little to no patience for it, don't care and decide to continue being ignorant about it while having someone else solve their issues for them.

Attached: DXfrbGKW4AYef9h.jpg (400x300, 18K)

What confuses me is that people seem proud that they're ignorant, which they never do for anything else.

19 y/o bong here, I had a bunch of typing classes back in primary school.

Reinstall the driver and use the cable. Or just use a pen and paper since that would be more convenient than fixing that piece of shit

>>Shockingly they are MORE tech illiterate according to the OECD adult skills analysis which tested technological literacy. The lowest scoring group in the world out of all age groups tested was the early 20 year old group. Worse yet they didn't just barely score under the other age groups, the scores were noted as "abysmal".

sauce on the study please user ?

Their pride is usually just a huge cope. They say things like "I don't have time for doing all of that", "It's too much", "It's unnecessary", or better yet "It's nerdy/autistic". Apple products are literally made for these people, because Apple can just tell them what's "necessary" and that's that. This is how we end up with things that are sacrificing crucial features because people are complacent.

Attached: 1518544126865.jpg (387x461, 24K)

I'm going to give the kid the benefit of the doubt and guess the keyboard is broken or something.

this.

This actually makes alot of sense. How very very sad.

Yeah but it also shouldn't be toddlerproof

(my opinion) it might also be that you approached tech at an old enough age it was novel, but young enough that you weren't complacent with it

not sure it's a good idea for children to be using tech if they're not putting or capable of putting in some work

>I never even saw a Mac until I was like 15.
South African here. First time I say a Mac is when i was 25 and my supervisor bought one. Never even seen one in shops or anyway where before in my life.

>“I need it because I’m uni student now and need powerful pro laptop” when all they use is word and facebook is astounding.
That's the power of marketing. Getting people to buy useless shit they don't even need for decades now.

You see it on Sup Forums all the time.
>I'm doing English, what's a good laptop on a budget of $2,000?

They wont be told though, that they should instead buy some shitty budget/used laptop and save the rest. "No! Everyone will think I'm a poorfag!" they say, while ignoring that everyone in that place would have negative net-worth.

It's simply good business. Watch this it's pretty good
youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ

>Most public schools offer scripting courses
FTFY

>They treat their computer like they treat their car, they want to turn the ignition, use it for a simple task, and not care about anything inside besides filling up the gas.
whoa... What's wrong with treating your car like that?

>coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/
what's the Jist of this? I'm too lazy to read

>yfw the intergalactic council is just a huge interstellar ink mafia fucking over all sapient species

Attached: a.png (1013x696, 499K)

I read someone on the internet say basically that for why Russians are often such good programmers

My 11 year old nephew, who has been "using" computers ever since he was physically capable of doing so, is still too retarded to navigate Windows directory structure. He also does not understand any process that is behind what he is trying to accomplish, he doesn't even understand the concept of copying something from one place and pasting it to another. He also thinks everything "is on the internet" and does not understand that there is a difference between the "content" he sees through the web browser and things that are local.

I'm in the Netherlands though. You a Boer? I'm from 1997 but honestly no one used anything other than a Windows computer.

I remember when i was like 8 years old (23 now) i had a pretty shotty computer and my dad had a really nice at the time modern gaming pc
Didnt take long until it stopped working iirc it was the psu
Anyway i asked my dad if i could have the pc and keep it if i got it running
At the time i had next to no knowledge but over the course of like 6 weeks i eventually figured out which part was broken and i repaired it so i could finally play lost planet: extreme condition

Attached: DV32HT7UQAAk3E5.jpg (1200x1174, 210K)

This guy comes across as pretentious as fuck, however true it might be.