Is it too unrealistic to start programming for creating games

I wonder if it's not a little too ambitious or unrealistic to get into this field for the sake of creating a game. I always wanted to try but then I think about the implications and wonder if it's really worth it. If someone wanted to make games for let's say, android smartphones, where should he start?

Picture slightly related

Attached: pepedroid.png (500x500, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You don't need to be a good programmer to make a game.

You're saying this seriously, or you're baiting? It has to require at least some talent, right?

Games are 90% art(music, graphics and maybe writing) and 10% following internet tutorials.

I'm not the other OP, but programming doesn't require talent, only knowledge.
You don't have to be a super programmer to make nice things.
Learning how to code is a given, it's just a matter of time and dedication.
Go ahead dude, start learning!

>someone wanted to make games for let's say, android smartphones, where should he start?

Unity, regardless whether it's for smartphones or not.

See undertale. It's made in gamemaker.

Hmm that's somewhat disappointing. Because of those things, I may only get good at programming or maybe creating music.
Yeah I think I'll start learning
I had not something of this grandeur in mind. A simple serial killer RPG game for example

If you aren't creating something whilst you are learning, then you are wasting your time

What do you mean? Like constantly having projects to trial and error?

>where should he start?
pick unity and start making games. There is a reason why Unity is associated with shitty games

>android smartphones

try react-mobile + three js

>then you are wasting your time
Don't listen this faggot. Each iteration will bring you closer to getting something done because you have learned from your mistakes. It's better than doing nothing

Yes. Programming is a practical skill. And the best way to learn is by building shit. You learn what you need as you go. No long winded preparation required. School has brain washed people.

That's what he said, though? You have to create and learn my making mistakes. Learning for the sake of learning without practicing won't bring you any results

Attached: 2262147.png (500x517, 112K)

You're the faggot. Over your head

He probably misread it

Yeah, programming IS a practical skill, but you will need some education to understand math, complexity, etc.

Best programmers are enthusiastic about their craft, but trust me, learn something in uni. You don't want to be another one of those 'gurus' who crap out when algorithms or linear algebra come into play.

So of we're a math brainlet, it's over?

learning established math is logical thinking mixed with memorization, the same concepts as programming. unless you are literally mentally retarded anyone can become math proficient given enough effort.

I see. Thanks for taking your time for answering, since I always wanted to create a game or indulge myself in the programming world but I'm a irredeemable retard when it comes to things related to math, algorithms, and the like. I admit that I didn't put enough effort to try and understand them, but the thought of me being unable to code because of this is scaring me

Attached: 1515395891986.jpg (1080x720, 85K)

Making a game isn't that complicated. If you are making a game by yourself, it's probably not going to be large enough that computational efficiency is an issue, so you dont need to be good with algorithms. You can make platformers using basic kinematics and thats all the math/physics you will ever need.

Simple games using a decent framework doesnt need much more than a whole lot of if else statements. Not being a brainlet is nice but its not a big hurdle in your case.

So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.

Thanks for this post, saved for future reference. Given that I'm mostly interested in Android, I'll focus my attention to Java.

Attached: Smile.jpg (1080x815, 309K)

Do not start with Java though. It will ruin the entire concept of programming for you, possibly for the rest of your life.

The path to Android is as follows: C, C++, then Java.

I see. This will be a long road but I hope this will be worth it in the end

redpill me on java

Good luck, user.

I cannot "redpill" you on anything, but I can tell you the truth about Java, a truth that Java enthusiasts may prefer to keep under covers.

-Java is slow
-Java is verbose
-Java's standard libraries are needlessly overcomplicated
-Java's own mother would hesitate if asked if Java is beautiful

But also:
+Java is extremely well-documented, probably better than any other language
+Java can do everything, with little need to import anything outside of its standard libraries
+Java is in very, very high demand: you are guaranteed a job if you master Java, and are able to prove your mastery

I cannot say that I like Java. But I can say that I respect its capabilities, and appreciate the ocean of jobs that are available to me because I know a bit of Java.

> be me
> want to make games
> literally google "game maker"
> edit someone's sonic game tutorial by putting emerald coast as background music
> wow i'm a real game maker now
> dig around some examples, see code written in game maker language (gml)
> wow, this looks 1337
> learn gml, show off my 1337ness
> friend calls me a faggot, tells me to learn C++
> Become C++ programmer

Attached: 1492048196464s.jpg (250x148, 5K)

This is true. Unfortunately, the barrier to entry is a lot higher than programming: you need to learn to draw and create music, too

>Be me, 13 years old
>playing Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds
>See "create campaign" section
>"OOOooooh, what's this?"
>Mess around with it, discover triggers and conditions, teach myself what they are and how they work without an internet connection
>Make a bunch of shitty Metal Gear Solid rip-offs set in the Star Wars universe
Good times. I even learned "debugging" if you can call it that, going through and testing everything and fixing things that didn't work. I was really autistic about it, I would even write things down on a list of things that needed to be done to the games. I'm pretty sure that this whole experience built a solid foundation that allowed me to grasp programming and development concepts quicker than my peers.

you're a fucking idiot. I'm not even going to try and go into how wrong you are.

>RPG game

the skill tier to programming games is generally lower, as there's more focus on getting it working, than making it well (not something I agree with, but what ends up happening). This is due to the outcome driven nature of games development.

>If someone wanted to make games for let's say, android smartphones, where should he start?

Honestly, unity. It allows easy multiplat builds, there's a shit tonne of tutorials done by unity themselves and elsewhere, and the documentation is pretty solid. Just make sure you use c# and not unityscript.

>A simple

Stopping you there. Nothing is simple in game development. Things you may think are simple based on your experiences as a player are many times more complicated than you think.

Even basic shit like movement has multiple layers to it to make it look and feel good to use.

>RPG game
Even using something like RPG maker, making an interesting and not shit RPG takes far too long for a newbie. DO NOT START WITH AN RPG/MMO/MOBA/FLAVOUR OF THE MONTH

Make a basic platformer or top down shooter (something with a contained experience), and expand your skills from there.

"Mat brainlet" does not exist in this case, because if you are smart enough to learn programming, you're smart enough to learn essential math.

It's just that for example I've been in another country for years because developers in a fortune 500 company can't pull off some matrix transformations. They have their jobs, but being the guy that is asked for help as compared to the guy asking for help is thousands of euros per month.

Jesus christ, you're acting like video games are rocket science. How about you just aim at something reasonable and not an MMORPG with neural networks.

I genuinely want to learn python for game and application making, but I hate that despite python being portable it doesn't compile into executables making distribution of my programs more difficult. What should I do?