What is something beneficial I can do for myself as a CS major in terms of personal projects...

What is something beneficial I can do for myself as a CS major in terms of personal projects? I have several years of C and C plus plus backed up along with more modern languages. I keep falling into these traps where I write stupid little shit like failed attempts at text editors and bytecode interpreters. I feel I'm beginning to realize doing these things is no less trivial than before I went to college and tried installing Gentoo. So if I want to be someone established and beneficial like RMS, Linus Torvalds, Ken Thompson, or Guido van Rossum what steps can I take?

Attached: Screenshot_20180328-020817~2.png (1080x784, 81K)

You want a blueprint for making an impact in computing? On a board full of failed autists? Anyways, the era of the Newton is over in computers. Low hanging fruit is all gone.

Find an obscure programming language with an incomplete standard library.

Start filling in the gaps.

Yeah...this is the kind of stuff I don't want to hear.

Why don't you want to hear it?

Python was an obscure programming language once; Linux was an obscure operating system. Things that are obscure might not remail as such.

Ok. The personal project shit is water cooler talk to impress retard undergrads. You need to get a part time, or full time, or ideally an internship ≥12 months WHILE YOU ARE STILL IN SCHOOL. Your career starts with the min wage part time solo project for someone you know, or maybe a Prof at your school. You need this, it's very important, because you will be useless and get very little done in the first few months of paid work. That's ok, because that experience will get you the next short term contract, and then maybe you land an internship somewhere.

This has basically been my path, and I'm so fucking far ahead of 99% of cs fucks it's hilarious. So for the love of God, if you are serious, get your foot in the door now! Find some paid work

i have no applicable skills to employment in industry

Then work on a personal project until you develop some skills.

see for a suggestion of what to do.

i suck ass at programming i am the worse one in my department. freshmen are better than me.

My first job was writing a unity game in c#. I didn't know c# when I was hired. I didn't hide this, but I had about a year of c/c++, programming competitions, and I was generally industrious outside of course work. The skills are transferrable. You will learn whatever you need to learn, when you need to learn it. This is basically what a career in software development is. It's all about how you market yourself

Python was obsecure in fruition. You're talking about resurrecting an old language like ML or something.
I appreciate your advice, and writing a stdlib for an obsecure language sounds like fun project, definitely something I'd like to take up when I have the time. But that would take me absolutely nowhere aspiration and career-wise.

I just want to say this isn't OP, I am
> Jesus fucking Christ

started SICP can't can't find a way to compile/evaluate expressions in LISP - tried downloading and calling gcl like i do for my basic C shit with gcc but it doesn't work - tried a bunch of IDEs I found on google but they're really bad and can't understand how they work

trying to post here since sqt is ignoring

Attached: 1508956790907.png (657x539, 80K)

Emacs can eval lisp expressions. Has a built in runner or whatever, you'll have to look it up I haven't used it for years but I know emacs can do it

Racket you brainlet.

>started SICP can't can't find a way to compile/evaluate expressions in LISP - tried downloading and calling gcl like i do for my basic C shit with gcc but it doesn't work - tried a bunch of IDEs I found on google but they're really bad and can't understand how they work
>trying to post here since sqt is ignoring

On Linux there's mit-scheme which supports most of SICP. There's also Racket in SICP support mode which is more modern and more popular. On Windows you're going to get crappy GUIs that will make you learn tons of useless features just to test functions. Better switch to Linux.

Can you, today, contribute as much to flying as the Wilbur brothers did?

>The Wilbur brothers

Yes I can contribute more than two fictional siblings

Attached: 253.jpg (1260x1782, 1.01M)

Tell us more about your lisp self taught NEET sob story. It's actually relevant to the thread because it's showing us an example of what not to get into.

then die, since you're such a pathetic excuse generator

extract->penis(generator);

Well, it's the truth. Everything you yourself could make that would put your name out there has already been made.
If you want to become famous in tech you are better off becoming a suit and having lots of others do the grunt work for you.

I would suggest just making something that solves a problem that you have or just make some software or game YOU enjoy making and just hope someone else likes the product as simple as that

Learn how to do something that is actually useful and tie the CS stuff to that. You'd be surprised how many engineers/scientists know jack shit about programming.

Kys c#/java normie waste.

Become a DevOps god.