Is Google Glass dead? They released it like 5 years ago for $1500. Was it just a scam?

Is Google Glass dead? They released it like 5 years ago for $1500. Was it just a scam?

Attached: 1024px-A_Google_Glass_wearer.jpg (1024x683, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/03/18/514299682/google-glass-didnt-disappear-you-can-find-it-on-the-factory-floor
vuzix.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

they it released too early

people got upset that they'd get recorded and wouldn't even know about it, and literally like a year after everyone forgot about Google Glass (which was a year after it came out, coincidentally), social networks became huge and everyone started filming and photographing everything and everyone and nobody gave a shit about getting their face published online for millions to see anymore

>they it released too early
they released it too early, i mean

I wasn't a scam. It just didn't catch on for some reason.

Attached: ok-glass.png (1280x720, 592K)

I liked the idea, the recordings were pretty fucking good for a fashion device since you stabilize the device with your body rather than your hands only

yep, now that no one cares about edward snowden or facebook, google, and apple giving away every detail of their life. It would be more accepted today i bet. Guess we will see how that google photo cube does.

no, people definetly still give a shit about being recorded without their consent

It didn't catch on because it was $1500, they never showed off the improved models, and they gave in to the overblown media reactions. Frankly, they just didn't try. It was a shallow experiment, not a real product. If it was developed into a real public release it would certainly do better than smartwatches, at least.

Ugly, bulky design. No clearly defined practical applications. Massively overpriced. Privacy invasive.

A classic example of why consumers don't buy what you make, but why you make it.

>No clearly defined practical applications.
pic related

No, it's not dead at all. It's being used a lot in industrial environments now, though. Google tried to force it as a consumer product, but it is actually great for niche applications.

npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/03/18/514299682/google-glass-didnt-disappear-you-can-find-it-on-the-factory-floor

>Google Glass tells her what to do should she forget, for example, which part goes where. "I don't have to leave my area to go look at the computer every time I need to look up something," she says.

>With Google Glass, she scans the serial number on the part she's working on. This brings up manuals, photos or videos she may need. She can tap the side of headset or say "OK Glass" and use voice commands to leave notes for the next shift worker.

>The headsets are being used in other industries as well. Companies working in the health care, entertainment and energy industries are listed as some of the Google Glass certified partners. And autistic children are using the technology to recognize emotions.

it doesn't have a real use case for normies, but it's a cool tool for certain professions. Medical, engineering come to mind as the most easy lines of work that would come up with a use case that isn't as useless as going on about your day taking random shitty pictures outside or in a public bathroom to jerk off later on.

Consumer electronics is all about fashion.

Doesn't matter if it's good or not, it just wasn't fashionable.
No celebrities wore one.
Rich kids weren't interested.

that should have been google goal in the first place. microsoft will learn the same lession after hololens flopped with consumers and will be highly praised in science and engineering.

It didn't have practical battery life.

I didn't have one. So what's the problem with battery and battery life?

Isn't this generally how technology goes down anyway?
>Military gets it first
>Then refined into industrial use
>Then refined into commercial and consumer use

usually, yes.

They probably got whatever they wanted out of it. Like how they build 411 just to get you to give them your phonemes for their supervised ML algo.

normalfags didn't want themselves to be spied on without consent. they are too retarded to realize that happens on a regular basis.

except for space travel but as we all know the moon landings totally happened and it wasn't all a bunch of bullshit hollywood jew cgfx

this. people were just starting to realize they were being spied on by other regular people and didn't want that. the $1500 price isn't any different than what 2018 has with the new Vive VR kit

even Snapchat tried to do this on their own and that didn't go far. Google Glass went straight to the science industry though, helping certain companies keep better track of inventories and helping near-blind people

Lack computer power,powerful camera and lack programming capable.

New OS as fuschia and UI framework as flutter plus next gen SoC,deep learning hardware,microLED and next gen camera with quantum dots will revival smart glasses

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that it weighed 3 pounds, so it was just uncomfortable to wear- not really a good selling point.

>weighed 3 pounds
it's not made out of depleted uranium you brainlet

>Weight: 36 g

no , google has been taken over by zionist scum who dont want to share certain technology .
these glasses are now used by chinese police.
they are cuckholded like tesla who was a prisoner in a hotel room until he passed away.

Some people say hes still out there.

Some people say hes now going for the unironic post techno consumer fashion look.

Some people say his battery doesnt recharge anymore, the truth may never be told.

Live strong google glass man, wherever you are.

I read that as
>should have been the google goal
and I thought it was gonna be a new way to googlize everything

People using it stared at others that too jewishly.

It was ahead of it's time. Also, Google abandoned it, and only Vuzix is doing anything with the idea.
vuzix.com/

>a year after everyone forgot about Google Glass (which was a year after it came out, coincidentally), social networks became huge
What drugs are you using? What third world country do you live in? SNS were huge since some 5-7 years before Google Glass.

>And autistic children are using the technology to recognize emotions.
lol?

how is it bulky at all?

Man remember that google glass ad that was comprised of some dude butchering a good song with a ukulele and it was essentially AR vision?

What a gross misrepresentation.

You fucking sod, it was 1500 because it was developmental hardware made only for testing and development only purposes. The Glass was not ready for average consumer use yet.

The problem was a cross between jackasses doing stupid shit with the hardware, and luddites/SanFran fucks who hate technology in general. The latter people were attacked in SF wearing Glass because SF in general hates the tech industry and Glass was a good identifier of someone who worked for Google over there.

As for the Project itself, it did not die it simply was repurposed for the industrial/medical sectors. Public backlash and misunderstood paranoia had simply killed the commercial market of it. The best thing about all of this is that its not at all the first time something like this happened, but at the very least the technology did not get pulled from consumer market, people just eventually got used to it existing. Google just ended up getting cold feet for the consumer market, we fucked it up for ourselves.

This right here, this is correct.

wait hololens came out? i was really psyched for it

I think these huge tech behemoths drip feed tech out, when the Graphene transparent screens happen and also Graphene batteries , they'll just use them in the glasses (already made probably), augmented reality, danger warnings. Robocop shit, don't know if they want the general public having those advantages though.