AV1 1.0 RELEASED

businesswire.com/news/home/20180328005386/en/Alliance-Open-Media-Kickstarts-Video-Innovation-Era

Are h264, h265, MPEG and VCEG finished and bankrupt?

Attached: 800px-AV1-logo.svg.png (800x369, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aomedia.org/
streamingmedia.com/Articles/News/Online-Video-News/AV1-Beats-VP9-and-HEVC-on-Quality-if-Youve-Got-Time-says-Moscow-State-122945.aspx
aomediacodec.github.io/av1-avif/
youtube.com/watch?v=6UksCRCl_bI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Finally, can't wait for an optimized encoder.

Thanks for the news OP. I've been following this thing quite closely, even ran a few tests. Hopefully optimizations are enacted to make this reference encoder run better than 1 SD frame every 5 minutes.

Nice

Call me when anime is encoded in it.

WE MUST PRESSURE HIRO INTO SUPPORTING AV1 FOR WEBMS

Sup Forums ADOPTION MEANS FASTER ADOPTION ALL AROUND

i hope

Their website has been updated as well.
aomedia.org/

Nice! I'm pretty excited for encoder optimisations so I can adopt it completely.

Everybody calm down, this release is a fake one to create buzz. The bitstream isn't yet frozen.

Attached: 2018-03-28_21.47.32.png (1505x1173, 236K)

well that's gay

>taking 20 hours to encode a webm
no thanks

>"Specifically, here's what the report states regarding encoding speed; "AV1 encoder has extremely low speed—2500-3000 times lower than competitors. X265 Placebo presets (2 and 3 passes) have 10-15 times lower speed than the competitors.""

streamingmedia.com/Articles/News/Online-Video-News/AV1-Beats-VP9-and-HEVC-on-Quality-if-Youve-Got-Time-says-Moscow-State-122945.aspx

WEW
E
W

more like 20 days

L
A
D

shiiieeet and I thought encoding times were unbearably slow when I did placebo 10 CRF H264 for blu-rays

told ya

It's fake and slow as fuck. Why is OP shilling this shit?

why the fuck
crf 17 at medium is transparent
crf 16 if you're a madman

Did it in 8-bit for compatibility, couldn't afford 10-bit :(

They haven't put any effort in optimizing it yet.
So it's way too early to say anything about speed.

i use crf 17 medium with 8 bit encoding

>placebo
Even the devs say it's useless

muh color banding :(

So that makes av1 10x more useless right now?

Attached: 1520551508256.jpg (512x498, 30K)

ABSOLUTE LEL

STARTING OFF ON THE RIGHT FOOT OPENSORES SHITTERS, FAKE RELEASE TO SHILL IT IN TIME FOR NAB LMAO
>HERE TAKE BUZZ, BUILD IN HARDWARE DECODE FAST PLZ PS BITSTREAM NOT ACTUALLY FROZEN PUSHED BACK 4 TIMES ALREADY ETA: SOON(TM)

MEANWHILE
>MUH NO ROYALTIES YES YESSS MORE PROFIT MARGIN FOR US HEHE
[AOM CORPORATE HANDRUBBING INTENSIFIES]

AV1-based image format is in the works called AVIF. Supports HDR, SDR, Rec2020, animations, alpha masking, reuse of alpha masking frames for animations (for example 1 alpha frame for 5 color frames and possibly reverse).

aomediacodec.github.io/av1-avif/

Attached: 177.png (917x330, 26K)

DAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

As codecs get more and more advanced, it's only natural for encoding times to require more computation.
However, the AV1 encoder is currently unoptimised, so it's something that you can expect to be addressed.

into the trash it goes

wordito

How many years before software decoding without a supercomputer is possible?

Does daiz lurk this board?
Let's summon him if he does.

>x2500-3000 slower
Jesus christ how did they ever test thing this, with a supercomputer to compress video into webm?

Compile the encoder yourself and if you don't have a toaster you can have a 10 second long standard definition video ready in 24 hours at highest quality. Less than a minute if you want maximum speed for absolute shitty quality however.

Decoding is already fast, encoding needs work.

They tested with 1 sec videos. First real time encoders will be specialized ASICs/GPUs.

AV1 seems like another daala desu, promises too much and won't deliver.

Daala was incorporated into AV1, though.
It was experimenting with a lot of new ideas (some of which didn't go anywhere, and some of which did), and seemed to fulfil its purpose.

>Daala was incorporated into AV1, though.
Not really. Only a select few things, whereas the much touted lapping feature can't be ported in any way.

They worked closely with hardware vendors and incorporated features that are suitable for silicon. First GPUs with support should arrive by late next year now that bitstream is here

I don't think that's such a good idea, a codec this fresh needs a few years for reduced decoding load even on asics.

Don't think first ASICs will support all profiles, priority will be the base profile for streaming purposes which should be fairly stable already. In the lastest talk he already references to some ASICs
youtube.com/watch?v=6UksCRCl_bI

Still cramming those alpha stage decoders might be a huge strain on phone batteries. Hell it took snapdragon years to even consider 10-bit hevc decoding even after years of decoding optimizations.

Considering the input they got from hw vendors a AV1 decoder won't look much different than an HEVC decoder on silicon, i got the impression one of the key goals of hw manufaturers was to use their existing IP to enable AV1.

summoning daiz

will he become a tranny?

>"When don't need more than 128MB of RAM"
>standing in the way of evolution.

>being this much against freedom

Man, I mean, you do realise that everyone here knows that you're a paid intern at MPEG? You're just one poster, always writing the same shit all over again, you can't even hide your writing styles. Just give up, you're just a waste of space.

I'm not even gonna ask how much aomedia is paying you but WHY?

what's so good about this encode