I love Pet Sounds. I think the melodies are some of the best I´ve ever heard. Where do i go from here...

I love Pet Sounds. I think the melodies are some of the best I´ve ever heard. Where do i go from here? I´ve listened to The Smile Sessions recordings but something tells me there are better works of Wilson.
I´m also open to albums with great melodies.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ygi4mOuuevU
youtube.com/watch?v=nHXGvDP8iLI
youtube.com/watch?v=mky-UhxUKoM
youtube.com/watch?v=jMUk1R_fKEA
youtube.com/watch?v=NdkG9M5sx3o
youtube.com/watch?v=L5N1B-gESSQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have you heard Today!?

It's the best you can get while sticking to the formula.

No, I have not. Any favorite songs from it?

Do You Wanna Dance is my favorite, and IIRC it's the first time Dennis does lead vocal. First half of the album is all uptempo pop songs, and the second half is ballads. Just skip the Bull Session song, it is awful spoken word filler. The only redeeming thing about it is they talk about some guy named Dick Rising.

It has an underrated beach boy classic "Please Let Me Wonder". Probably the most dramatic rock song of that year or any before it.

Today! is kind of the transition album between surfing and car albums to intensely personal works of art. Brian started smoking weed a lot during the sessions and it took his perception of music to a whole new level.

Also, if you want from Beach Boy recommendations, you can give me any year and I can tell you what kind of stuff they were making

If you're into comfy music, listen to Friends. It's one of their most under appreciated albums.

Ive heard that after The Smile Sessions Brian´s best work was written. Anything after that?

The last 3 songs on this album prove if that Brian Wilson gives a shit during the process of writing/producing/arranging a song, there is nothing he can't do

Listen to this (Surfs Up) in its entirety.
If you like the folkier, more guitar based parts, go to Sunflower, 20/20 and If you liked the last 3 songs on Surf's Up, listen to Brian Wilson's first solo album, and if you liked the synths on that, check out Beach Boys Love You, which is practically a brian wilson solo album

Honestly dude, just go through their entire discography. They were some of the biggest contributers to the evolution of pop music in the latter half of the 20th century. Its a wild ride

I love im so young and in the back of my mind is 10/10 beach boys

There was something in the combination of their voices at the time that makes my non existent pussy wet as fuck

Wish they would have gone all meta while they were still young and did a full on barbershop album, they had the talent

Will do, thank you so much! Sometimes this board can actually talk some music. Have you heard "In My Room"? This and "Thats Not Me" have the most relatable moments for me in any Beach Boys songs. I know he had help on the lyrics post Smile, but the autobiographical aspects of his lyrics can hit hard.

>have you heard "In My Room"?
Dude yes, one of my favorite pre pet sounds beach boy tracks
here, have this rarity, brian never did anything with it (at all, which is rare)
youtube.com/watch?v=Ygi4mOuuevU
Pretty fucking impressive production values for a dam 21 year old

youtube.com/watch?v=nHXGvDP8iLI
also, there are tons of good songs like this brian wrote right after SMiLE, when he was in actually a pretty peaceful place in his mind, he wasn't trying very hard and was just enjoying music again

Holy fucking shit, OP here, Feel Flows. How the fuck does this man find these melodies? This is great

Carl actually wrote that song. You're in for a treat. Second half of Surf's Up is incredible

That's actually a Carl Wilson song! with lyrics from there then manager jack reiley
Carl Wilson had some song writing chops too, and probably the most beautiful voice of any of the boys

I think Brian had a hand in how the song sounded tho

Surprisingly I know almost nothing about his life. I know his dad was a bad manager, that he beat him up pretty regularly. Also some mental issues?

Also, thank you so much for these songs. I Do reminds me of my girlfriend. Makes me want to go to the beach with her again. Music is amazing. Sup Forums can be amazing. Thank you!

Don't Worry Baby is my favorite Beach Boys song of their whole career, including the Pet Sounds era. I've actually broken down crying at it once or twice

I'm just gonna do a huge dump of everything Beach Boys since I've been absolutely obsessed with them for the past few months

Pre-Pet Sounds:
Studio Albums Worth Listening to:
All Summer Long
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
Today!

The rest of the bunch have some great songs here and there but for the most part they're glaringly inconsistent, the filler is obvious as are the intended singles

Aside from the studio albums I listed, just go for the Endless Summer comp. it's 10/10 and does a great job at selecting only the best of the best from the pre-Pet Sounds period, and flows almost as if it were a studio album too

also, the Christmas album is worth a listen as well, but only during the holiday season

After that obviously you have Pet Sounds which as you know is perfect and needs no further explanation

Next is Smile, the sessions are great of course but there are also a ton of alternate versions and mixes that have been created over the years. The absolute best of the bunch is AlternateBrianWilson Presents Smile, which was released in 2008. And if you haven't listened already, I recommend you avoid the 2004 Brian Wilson solo smile. The production is sterile as hell and the backing vocalists have nothing on the beach boys, plus brians voice wasn't in great shape (heh) like it was back in the 60s

Next you have Smiley Smile, which on first listen may appear to be just a botched version of smile with some filler tracks, but it's totally not. It's their most unique album and has a distinct atmosphere, and She's Goin Bald and Little Pad are two of their best songs ever

Wild Honey is a great rendition of soul by the band, Darlin' in particular is an amazing track

Friends is, for me, possibly the greatest album they ever released. It's the most beachy album they ever released, yet there's not one mention of surfing or the ocean. It's the production. It sounds like it was recorded in Hawaii on a light breezy day and that sound is perfect for the band

>I Do reminds me of my girlfriend. Makes me want to go to the beach with her again. Music is amazing. Sup Forums can be amazing. Thank you!
This made me feel really nice, you sound like such a sweet person.
If I Do reminded you of your gf, Beach Boys Today! will be lovely for you

youtube.com/watch?v=mky-UhxUKoM

Can we get some appreciation for Cool water in here?

probably their most AnCo esque track (i know they came first but you know what I mean)

Im about to enter University. I think that "Thats Not Me" describes the whole situation perfectly. Cried in the car for the first time when I heard it. Crazy how some things can transcend time. Experiences can apply to everyone from anywhere. Why did Dont Worry Baby made you feel that way?

>I love Pet Sounds. I think the melodies are some of the best I´ve ever heard

So do you want a next level shit? well I can't, pet sounds its fucking perfect :^)
But dont be sad!
try with oddesey and oracle, its the second best pop album ever.

Love You, then work backwards. it works trust me.

I don't know. I guess I was feeling a bit of anxiety about going far away to college, and then those beautiful harmonies started up without warning, and told me that everything would be alright.

Sometimes I trim don't worry baby down to the chorus in audacity, press loop play and just lay down and stop thinking for a little bit

Thank you man! What other bands do you like that have a Beach Boys influence?

60s baroque pop
the zombies oddyssey and oracle
margo guryan (inspired by god only knows)
walk away renee
beatles- for no one, penny lane, all you need is love, she's leaving home, etc.

My favorite parts in the song are the wordless vocals in the beginning (which is what made me cry), and Brian's little ascending wordless bit in the fade-out.

and modern 2000s stuff like sufjan, grizzly bear, fleet foxes, even the fucking shins

cont.

20/20 is good as well, and their most folk-influenced album. Do It Again, I Can Hear Music and Cotton Fields are all great songs, and it's worth a listen for the first appearance Cabinessence alone

Sunflower is all around one of their most solid albums. Great track after great track here. Forever is one of the greatest ballads ever written and there's proto-dream pop tinged throughout the album, especially on All I Wanna Do

Surf's Up is an all around masterpiece and flows as an album just as well as Pet Sounds and Smile. Til I Die is one of the high points of their career and a Day in the life of a tree is super underrated. I also feel like I'm one of the few people that actually really like student demonstration time, it gets too much shit desu

Carl the Passions is an interesting delve back into soul as well as country rock and roots rock. It's not that great honestly and I'd say just avoid it

Holland is a great progressive pop album worth more than a few listens. I love the California Saga and Brian's bonus spoken word fairy tale EP is an interesting listen as well

Also the "WEEOOO" backing vocals toward the end of each line, where in my 45 of the song, it sounds like they're swirling around behind Brian (not so much swirling sound in the stereo version, though).

It's not more Brian, but you should also listen to Phil Spector if you haven't already. Huge influence on Brian, and at his best, he's easily Brian's match.

Anyone knows how Brian is doing nowadays?

>not mentioning Cuddle Up or All This Is That

senpai what are you doing

Will do, thank you! Any starting point you would recommend?

he is mostly a stone faced robot like he has been for the past 30 years, but occassionaly he says something hilarious or cute

I hate that Sup Forums is so filled with KPop and "rate me and my taste" threads. Where is the real discussion?

>Surprisingly I know almost nothing about his life
The story behind the music is almost as interesting as the music itself imo. I've watched quite a few documentaries about The Beach Boys, so here are a few I found interesting:

Love and Mercy - Explores the Pet Sounds/SMiLE era and the 1980s drugged out Brian Wilson era, contrasting Brian's highest and lowest points

Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson and the Story of Smile - The first half is the early Beach Boys days and then a fairly detailed section on their incomplete 1967 album SMiLE. The second half is about Brian Wilson recreating SMiLE in 2004 and dealing with the emotional pain of 1967.

Brian Wilson: Songwriter 1962–1969 and Brian Wilson: Songwriter 1969–1982 - These documentaries have the most comprehensive history of The Beach Boys that I have found. They touch on nearly all the albums released during their respective periods (especially the '69-'82.)

The Wrecking Crew - This is not strictly a Beach Boys documentary. It follows the studio musicians that played instrumentals on most popular albums in the '50s and '60s. A good look into the 'pop machine' of that time.

I'll add a couple baroque pop recods to the list:
Scott Walker - Scott 4
very ballad heavy, good orchestration, dated (in a good way) vocals
youtube.com/watch?v=jMUk1R_fKEA

Harry Nilsson - The Point!
Cheesy narration (in the vein of The Beach Boys' Mount Vernon and Fairway) tell the story of the boy Oblio over Beach Boys-esque pop songs. If you're into the childlike tendencies of The Beach Boys, this is worth a listen

It might be a bit pricy, but the Back to Mono boxset is pretty much all the Phil Spector you'll ever need. If you're not ready to get a box set of his yet, he's best known for his production of the Ronettes and the Crystals, though he's also produced some big hits by the Righteous Brothers (chief among these is You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'), and Tina Turner's River Deep-Mountain High. Or he produced the Beatles' Let It Be. But he's mostly a singles guy.

I love AnCo, early of Montreal, and Olivia Tremor Control, and I think you'd like all of them too
cont

15 Big Ones is Brian's first major return to the band, but unfortunately it's quite subpar and I'd recommend you don't waste your time listening to it

Love You, on the other hand, is one of the best albums of their career. It legitimately borders on outsider music at times, and comes close to Pet Sounds in how personal Brian gets on the album, except this time it's with Moog synths and was a huge influence on what eventually became synthpop in the next decade

Adult Child was supposed to be the follow up to Love You but was rejected by the record company. It's the last Beach Boys release Brian had full control over, and it's basically much of the same as Love You except with big band arrangements

Everything after this avoid. Almost all of it is adult contemporary schlock not at all worth your time

Now for solo stuff and side projects. Van Dyke Parks' Song Cycle is similar to smile in that it feels like a journey through America, but also American music tradition. It's also a bit more difficult to grasp and takes a few focused listen to truly appreciate

Dennis' 1983 solo album Pacific Ocean Blue is an all around fantastic pop rock album, the first track being particularly stellar

Brian's debut solo album is great if you don't mind the cheap 80s production. His song writing is still top notch, and Love & Mercy, Melt Away, Night Time, and the longest song of Brian's career, Rio Grande are all great songs

I listened to some beach boy songs and then let youtube do autoplay for awhile. Then it got to Kokomo

You know, the production is bland as hell, but this has everything that makes a good beach boy song: personal, unpretentious lyrics, catchy choruses that you sing along too

that dam sax solo too

You convinced me to actually listen to Kokomo for the first time in years
Why did you do this to me?

implying you didnt sing the chorus

I didn't

>when the song ended mid-word

The only thing worse than this song is this upload of it

this needs more love

cont

Now for influences and contemporaries. Phil Specter was a huge influence on Brian in that, like the Beatles, he was fueled by a light competition with him. I'd recommend the Back to Mono comp and Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes, which contains Be My Baby, arguably Specter's opus and one of the greatest pop songs of all time

Although you've likely heard it already, Rubber Soul is worth a listen as well for the huge influence it had on Pet Sounds alone

Brian has mentioned several times in interviews that the Four Freshmen were hugely responsible for what the Beach Boys' harmonies eventually became, Brian states particularly that their record Four Freshmen and Five Trombones was the one he listened to most. It's solid standards stuff, and definitely worth a listen to hear where some of Brian's genius came from

He also mentions that George Gershwin was one of his biggest influences. For him, I'd recommend the Leonard Bernstein recording of Rhapsody in Blue/An American in Paris as well as Gershwin's own piano rolls. Also feel free to check out Brian's own interpretations of Gershwin on his 2010 album

>I love AnCo, early of Montreal, and Olivia Tremor Control
I can cosign these

Just started listening now

Jan & Dean were another big surf group of the time, for them I'd recommend checking out Save for a Rainy Day, which actually sees them experimenting with psychedelic and sunshine pop

Brian's ex wife Marilyn also formed a group called American Spring that released a solid psych pop album in the 70s that's worth checking out as well

The documentary Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson and the Story of Smile is greatly informative on the creation of Smile as well as Brian's process of recreating the album in 2004

Also, last year's biopic Love & Mercy was surprisingly very well written and acted. There are a few spots where the writing actually isn't so great, but other than that it was one of my favorite films of last year. Paul Dano and John Cusack both give stellar performers as young and old Brian, respectively

And that's about it, you could totally keep exploring if you want but there's really not much more to delve into

The thing I was most impressed with with that movie was how well the actors managed to sing. I read that in the recording scenes, they start out with the recording from the album, but they transition to the actors themselves.

youtube.com/watch?v=NdkG9M5sx3o

Can we talk about how tender he sounds on this? Such a beautiful song, I can imagine Brian playing this on the sunset of warm summer sunday, looking out on to the beach

youtube.com/watch?v=L5N1B-gESSQ

>At this moment, I would like to introduce-to you, perhaps, the most famous pop singers..in the world. elTON john!

Such a sweetheart, timeless song

Shes going bald and little pad are great!

>melodies
>best
they're good sure, but its all about the harmonies you fuck

For sure, the scene where Paul Dano sings God Only Knows at the piano shows off how great his voice actually is, and I really appreciated that moment