Upgrade to APU?

My old gtx 480 and phenom II x4 can no longer keep up with modern games(farcry 5 won't even load a title screen) I want to hold off on buying a GPU until the mining fad dies out, would getting a ryzen 5 2400G to hold me over be a good compromise or will it cause bottlenecks when I buy a proper GPU in another few months?

Attached: 19-113-480-V01.jpg (640x480, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Phenom-9650-vs-Intel-Pentium-G4560/m5238vs3892
twitter.com/AnonBabble

apu is nice fren buy apu

Attached: 1490943153128.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

excellen chois

Attached: 1442175118920.jpg (499x618, 247K)

2200G would bottleneck a higher end GPU. The 2400G should keep up with it well.
So yeah, get the 2400G, but I'd recommend looking for a sale. Sometimes they're only around $130 which is a great deal.

My advice:
Upgrade your GPU. It's super modular and with the stupid prices of GPUs, you might be able to get $50/$80 maplebucks out of your old gpu to some kid who has no more money than that.

CPU choice is bad if you already have a dGPU, because then you need a new motherboard/RAM/possibly OS installation on top of it.

My advice:
Don't listen to this fag, get an APU. In terms of pricing the 2400G is your best bet right now, down the line get a 1060 or a 580 when they get anywhere near MSRP

I think that's my game plan right now. I need to double check but I think all my other pieces will swap to a new Mobo just fine

Have fun wasting your money. There's a reason we recommend old computers on this board. It's because as long as you have a good CPU in the first place, there's minimal reason to upgrade. There's still lots of circle jerk threads on the 1st gen i-series, because "They just werk" (TM). Reasons to upgrade from phenom ii era is pretty much.....NVMe.

Don't forget, if you want the highest framerates you can get out of your APU, you need high-bandwidth RAM to match, I think most people are saying 2933 is the best bang/buck for an APU, so don't forget that is also going to set you back.

He has a Phenom x4, user. It's like half the performance of a 2500k in games, and the 2500k itself sucks shit now days and bottlenecks even a GTX 1050 or RX560 in newer games. It's a stutterfest.
Maybe the Phenom is smoother given the arch, but it's still going to have crap average FPS and bottleneck even a lower end new GPU.

My 2500k was bottlenecking the fuck out of my 7970 for the past 2 or 3 years on newer games. And I couldn't play a game while watching Twitch. OP needs a better CPU. The 2400G is good.

No.
You should not use anything worse than a 2600k now days.

I'd like to know what you guys are expecting out of your systems, because I have an Athlon ii x4 and a GTX 650 (non-ti) in my home system and I can play my games at 1080p very happily.

>Wasting money
>Not buying GPU at 3x MSRP
I really don't care about framerates so long as it's around 30 and I still have a 720p tv for now. So long as I can enjoyably play the games I don't stress too much on how they look

Not sure the model number on the processor but it's an am2+ socket so its probably even worse than what you guys are imagining

Yeah. I used a Phenom X4 9650 until last year - even a Pentium G4560 is ridiculously better.
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Phenom-9650-vs-Intel-Pentium-G4560/m5238vs3892

A lot of people consider the 2400G iGPU barely able to play games at 1080p low-medium/normal for AAA titles from the past 5 years.
But it's very significantly faster than a 650. It's closer to a 750Ti, especially overclocked.

Maybe Athlon/Phenom quad cores aren't quite as bad as Sandy Bridge. Intel i 4c/4t CPUs seem to just be stutterfests for whatever reason. Something in their arch. 4c/4t Ryzen doesn't have the problem nearly as bad, but SMT/HT is still better to have outside of a sterile benchmarking environment.
Average/max FPS is still going to be terrible even if it's "smooth".

2400G is more than enough for you then. Get a better monitor next.

I would suggest a 1080p monitor but in some very demanding games you may have to slither down to 900p to stay comfortably above 30fps, that is if you don't plan on overclocking the iGPU and/or ram (overclocking mobos are more expensive but typically worth it)

also like others have said, get the fastest ram in your price range, and look out for good sales. It's all overpriced right now, but I'd aim for 3000+ mhz if you can. Checking the QVL is a good idea but they don't have to test ALL the ram, and some perfectly compatible ram will go unlisted, so take it with a grain of salt. And obviously make sure the motherboard has video output, but I guess that goes without saying.

AMD apu shills, the thread. Nice (you)s.
You want to upgrade your gpu and you are asking if a cpu is good? Are you fucking retarded? Buy a used gtx 780 with the same price and keep your cpu. Or, if you really want to upgrade your cpu for some reason, buy a better cpu and keep using the gtx 480 until you can afford a decent gpu.

Attached: DXfrbGKW4AYef9h.jpg (400x300, 18K)

>t. buttcoin miner

what if he want's to upgrade both his CPU and GPU because both are showing their age, and doesn't wanna buy used hardware and doesn't wanna overpay for his GPU? How is that unreasonable? Ryzen APU's are basically made for people like OP

>buy a Kepler GPU
Do literally anything else

>if you really want to upgrade your cpu for some reason
'Really for some reason?' It's a Phenom II X4, user.

>play a game while watching Twitch