Any other artists in mind?

well, that's convenient

Start with the Greeks

this list is a mess
good albums but no order
it depends on what you already like
personally I find post and hard bop the easiest style to get into
but I don't know that much about the genre anyway

the essentials of jazz have long been established by critics, academics, and musicians alike. google that shit nigga don't ask this board, it's rampant with contrarianism and retardation

no critic, academic or musician would use the therm 'essential' because it doesn't mean anything

i've listening to kind of blue for a while. this is post bop, i'm guessing?

true. i was just using op's wording and you know what i meant

been

Kind of Blue Miles Davis
Milestones
Round about Midnight

A Love Supreme John Coltrane
Ascension
Giant Steps

lel

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_standards

it's modal jazz. Try 'My Favorite Things' by John Coltrane, I really like that record and it's accesible too

so, is jazz dead? Have there been really important releases since "bitches brew" and "dancing in your head" as of yet?

I've been thinking about checking out all of John Coltrane and Miles Davis' works for starters. So yeah, I will

ok, try to go chronologically. If you go directly for, say, 'A Love Supreme', or 'Live-Evil', it may be too much too soon and you won't get the evolution

>so, is jazz dead?
No. There haven't been releases that are as culturally significant or influential as a lot of "classical jazz" but this is due more to the music industry and the way music is distributed and consumed more than the quality of the music itself. There are still many jazz artists releasing innovative, original music every year. But these artists are often ignored by almost everyone except other jazz musicians.

In a way, the lack of identifiable "movements" or trends in jazz is a good thing. Most jazz artists are trying to find their own unique sound, rather than everyone trying to copy the style of a few groundbreaking artists.

Terrible advice.
The Penguin Guide to Jazz has a list it calls the "core collection" which is basically the same as "essential".
This isn't really as good advice with jazz at it might be with rock. It's not so bad with Coltrane (although it will leave you wondering why he's such a towering figure at first) but with Miles it means starting with that one session he led with Charlie Parker (which is great, but not a good starting point for someone new to jazz), moving on to Birth of the Cool, and then listening to a bunch of basically similar sounding albums (all of which are good, but none are great) made whilst he was doped up to his tits.

OP, you could do worse than starting with the "Big 4" of 1959; Kind of Blue, Mingus Ah Um, Time Out (Dave Brubeck) and The Shape of Jazz to Come (Ornette Coleman).

For Coltrane, be aware that he had basically three distinct musical periods - the early hard bop days (best exemplified by Blue Train or his work with Miles on Prestige), the modal period (My Favourite Things and A Love Supreme) and his free jazz explorations (Ascension or Meditations). A good starting point is either A Love Supreme, which is widely regarded (especially round here) as his best, or Giant Steps, which is sort of a transition album between the first two periods, rocketed him to jazz stardom, and is basically the reason people talk about the history of jazz saxophone now in terms of the pre- and post-Coltrane era.

I mentioned Charlie Parker above - you should listen to the Savoy and Dial sessions at some point. Pretty much all of jazz since then has been a response, in one way or another, to what he did in those years. If you're used to rock and pop based music it might be a struggle at first because he was recording in the 78 era and nothing he did really suits the LP format - listening to it for much longer than twenty minutes can be exhausting. I'd recommend listening on a session-by-session basis.

Also do yourself a favour and listen to Louis Armstrong's Hot 5's and 7's material. Miles Davis once said that the history of jazz could be written in four words: "Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker" and he was only sort of being glib.

Duke Ellington's Blanton/Webster years are another absolute essential.

Much appreciated, user. That seems like a lot of great information and is pretty much all I need to dive into the genre myself, I suppose.

Lacking more of Coltrane

John Coltrane - Gian Steps
John Coltrane - Blue Train

No, Jazz is at an all time high, the Sup Forumscore of jazz is just really fucking bad.

Essential Afro-Cuban jazz
youtube.com/watch?v=xUsxFpY5Pkc

In chronological order:

>Sidney Bechet's early recordings
>Louis Armstrong- Hot 5 and Hot 7 Recordings
>Duke Ellington- Brown Black And Beige
>Lester Young
>Count Basie (both this and Young are just any of their quintessential album)
>Earl Hines
>Charlie Parker
>Thelonious Monk
>Dizzy Gillespie
>Clifford Brown/Max Roach
>Coleman Hawkins
>Bill Evans
>Dave Brubeck
>Art Blakey
>Horace Silver
>John Coltrane
>Jackie McLean