/daily/ - June is here edition

It's the 2nd of Junetober.

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, tell us what you have been listening to today and what you will listen to in the following month, just let the good times flow.

topsters.net/
>resurrected, but [not] ((not)) working (!)(?)

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>fifth dimension for space-time memery (aka "music") ever since plug deejay was musically aborted

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>Site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

Most importantly, prepare your calendars!

Previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10366921
rateyourmusic.com/~TEthearbiter
exordiummusic.bandcamp.com/album/resin
amazon.com/Ravel-Concertos-Valses-nobles-sentimentales/dp/B000009MF7/185-6038730-0176056?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
neverendingchartrendering.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

for da boyz

Final “”””””Reviews”””””

Best to Worst:

>Time Machines – s/t
Read something about how the binaural tones in this album are supposed to hack the mind and put the body in a dream-like REM state and alter the brain to hallucinate. But I can tell you right now that’s all BULLSHIT. Hypnotic, yes, but an audible manifestation of drug use this is not. This is just a damn good drone album that’s well textured, and while the 2nd and 3rd tracks aren’t as mind-blowing as the bookending tracks, they’re still amazing.

>Various Artists – No New York
Some of the best this genre has to offer, and I finally get why this was the breakthrough for No Wave. Contortions and DNA show some of their strongest chops, while Mars (a band I’d never heard of) showed some pretty strong surprises, while Teenage Jesus brought mostly stinkers. Wish I had an English release, since my Russian copy

>Harry Revel, Les Baxter & Dr. Samuel J. Hoffman – Music Out of the Moon
You’d think since this album, being like 18 minutes long could hold interest for more than a minute in every track, but you’d think wrong. While I loved the heck out of a few parts, especially since this was pretty much the first “space age pop” album, but it felt very stale somehow.

>Yma Sumac – Voice of the Xtabay
I liked a lot of the voices here, but upon next listens I found myself much less engaged in it and ultimately felt like it was just uninteresting and dull. Bummed I didn’t enjoy this more.

>The Stooges – s/t
I have no clue how people think this competes with their next two albums. People mistakenly think this was edgy for rock music in 1969, so I can see the recent hindsight approval of this. Apparently people think the fact that it falls flat on its face is the appeal, but it doesn’t even become an appealing mess, it’s just a very mediocre one.

cont...

>Royal Trux – Twin Infinitives
After all these years it’s still shit. Fuckin’ hell, these guys are one of my top-listened to artists on last.fm just because of all the times I’ve tried to revisit this and failed. I should like this, it’s psychedelic, noisy, tape music, no wave, etc. but I just don’t, dammit. I’m officially ready to give up on Twin Infinitives (for now at least) and I’m very okay with that.

AND THAT’S ALL FOLKS

Favorites of this month were
>Plays Standards
>Small Change
>Forget Tomorrow
>Time Machines
>Prayer For Chibi

And least favorites were
>Twin Infinitives
>Morning Phase
>Disintegration Loops
>Songs in A&E
>Tigers Jaw

New Chart is pic related. Much more excited for a few reasons:

>Stuff I'm actually looking forward to
>It's shorter
>It's like 36 albums shorter
>Also doing other charts with it

Should be a fun June! Post your charts if you got 'em!

Chart one (sort of excited???)

Has anyone here heard this whole thing yet?

>final
I don't know how you finish these things so fast, man
>Favorites of this month were
>>Plays Standards
Yee

Chart two (pretty excited, more Ween!)

No idea what to expect on the first three tapes. Hopefully it's terrible so it balances out my curve.

>I don't know how you finish these things so fast
1) No life
2) A heart of gold
3) Insecure and want people to validate my tastes. Way of compensating for being dumb and uninteresting
4) Pizza delivery job

getting started on matchup b of the tourney: nyar vs feelist, lerche vs. the terminals
pretty hype

ayy at least you get to listen to more music
and you're not dumb and uninteresting fish u a cool dude

Windy & Carl - Antarctica (The Bliss Out, Vol. 2)

This was good. Basically just nice ambient. Nothing that I was too amazed with but it was pleasant. 3.5/5.

Various Artists - The Hugo Masters: An Anthology of Chinese Classical Music, Vol. 1 - Bowed Strings

Yay Chinese trad. As expected, this was very good. A nice compilation showcasing those sweet Chinese strings and melodies. I am gonna be listening to the other compilations in the series and may or may not """review""" them. I doubt my thoughts will be very different from the ones I have here though. 4/5.

Don't be so hard on yourself Fishy. You'll always be interesting in my eyes.

:D

Happy birthday /daily/. Can't believe two years has gone by.
I might listen to hermae today. Who knows.

>tfw bandwidth quota exceeded and I had to make a Mega account
Huh I didn't know this happened.
I can only imagine how this must feel for you.

The illegal and impossible has been accomplished. Feels bretty swank. Here's to another great year with you lads.

Hey doggy you got a link for that spicey tractor meme maybe? Reposting because of new thread

dude btw the daily thing is bad in terms of pronounciation
it has to be deili so дeйли

why is trans' keion girl taste so bad
good choices r/e best songs though

What are you listening to now, boys?

I'm currently listening to Rocketship's Singles 1993-96 and really enjoying it.

Cheers.
Yui is best girl fuck you.

nobody says yui isn't an entertaining character
but why tf is azusa that high

ITT: stop

I've heard 8(?) discs, some parts are absolutely fantastic, a large portion of it is a drag

>дeйли
no
дэйли

S-sorry
Thomas I just finished the Rocketship singles comp. Great stuff, thank you for reccing it.

oh yeah i keep forgettign э exists sorry my bad ur right

>mfw speak russian well but kinda suck at grammar because never actually learned russian

yui is entertaining but she's nowhere close to best girl when ritsu and mio exist

sorry senpai i'll stop now

What do I do now
strawpoll.me/10366921

im 99% sure im gonna cringe when trans god will rank up the characters from rabu raibu
says the one who was doing the same with monogatari

it's ok, not even your official language

ik but i actually want to have my grammar cool too so i wouldn't be as useless
it's annoying

ty

tbf azu was pretty meh up until her feels nearing the end, but that was one of my fav parts of the series

at first i thought id like ritsu second-best but she started to feel generic. idk all of them kinda do that, whatever
regarding mio, her fanclub im p sure was my fav meme of the series

aw man now i have to watch that :- |
or i have to never watch that, cant decide
doesnt seem like my thing tho

it's kinda fun to watch tho i mostly watched it just bc of the game

tourney round 2 complete! nyar vs. post-feelist!

>sondre lerche - heartbeat radio
may have been my mood the past week or so, but this record gave me the fuckin feels. just super solid poppy love songs with a nice voice and (personally) affecting lyrics. this is what the indie side of tumblr-core wishes it could be. lovely, warm, and pretty. i hope someday i can feel happy to this record rather than melancholic and nostalgic.

>the terminals - little things
is it bad i can't remember much about listening to this record? it was still a pleasant experience with some good guitars and some nice songs, but there isn't much else i can say since most of it just didn't stick out to me. a lot of it seemed to blend together. i didn't not like it, but it wasn't too memorable. i'll probably give it a couple more spins and see if it sticks more.

congrats nyar for making it through the first round! send in your next rec soon, please! /daily/ now has another lerche fan. thanks to post-feelist for participating!

raibu is pretty fun, i'm actually watching season 2 right now.

desu my opinion on k-on is that it's mostly bullshit (fun bullshit nonetheless) but it kicks hard when that bullshit nears its end. feels like moving on from an actual friendship, you begin to appreciate the bullshit time you spent together a lot more once the end is in sight.

i didn't stop the animeposting oh no

I've been loving Snarky Puppy recently. Any recs for that kind of jam, I'm pretty clueless to modern jazz or whatever you call it.

I'm too hungover for how drunk I got last night ugh. At least I got some meaningful conversations and confidence boosts out of it I guess. Also pic related is still fantastic. Also Uneven Compromise still rips after 15 listens.

ayy, I knew you'd love it

>Uneven Compromise still rips after 15 listens
I haven't listened to it 15 times but I bet it does. Probably gonna move my rating on RYM for it up to a 5 cause it's so damn good.

way ahead of you lad. what's your RYM btw? do I have you added?

rateyourmusic.com/~TEthearbiter

MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMMEMEMEMEMEEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMES

I need a break from all this work. Today is specifically punishing.

What are you listening to /daily/?

added
see , top-tier spacegaze

I finished listening to Torts' rec for my tourney a while ago. Not listening to anything now but will do Moven's rec for tourney and Free for All for my calendar later.
Added you too, lad. Also, Uneven Compromise is a recent listen but already a 5 for you? Damn.

yeah i usually try to reserve my 10/10s for all time favorites but sometimes i get the urge to 10/10 something after only a couple of listens.

>yeah i usually try to reserve my 10/10s for all time favorites
As you might be able to tell from my curve, that isn't the case for me.
>but sometimes i get the urge to 10/10 something after only a couple of listens
I've done that before too yeah. Feels bad when you realise something isn't as good as you thought it was. Uneven Compromise is definitely GOAT though.

[spoiler] or is it? [/spoiler]

uneven compromise is definitely great but i'm not sure i can personally call it a 10/10 yet. fucking fantastic stuff though

>[spoiler] or is it? [/spoiler]
fuck, I sure hope so. last thing I 10/10d is now sitting at an 8 (98.12.28 Otokotachi no Wakare)
i'm probably just spazzing cuz i'm a hiphop pleb

Do it.
>last thing I 10/10d is now sitting at an 8 (98.12.28 Otokotachi no Wakare)
That's a 4.5/5 in my book and it'll probably stay that way unless I end up really getting into Fishmans.

i've listened to quite a bit of hip-hop and although it's certainly a highlight i dont think it stands up to some 10/10 projects imo. some of the best experimental hip-hop i've heard however

can you rec me some other good abstract/experimental hiphop? been digging a lot of backpacker stuff lately

have you listened to madvillainy yet? (or any doom for that matter)

if you want a personal backpacker favorite where you can hear the lil ugly mane influences check out resin by kill bill
exordiummusic.bandcamp.com/album/resin

alrighty got some synopses for you all

Ricci Rucker - Fugg
This was great, really liked the drumming, it's refreshing to hear poly-rhythms in hiphop, especially when they're so well executed, I can vibe to this

Robert Johnston - King of Delta Blues
I mean, yeah it was good, but there really wasn't much variety here... The tape hiss, although a part of the time in which this was recorded, also made it really hard to hear what was going on at times.

Sybyll Bailer - Colour Green
She has a very nice voice, and the production was incredibly warm, but I would have liked a little more variety here

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
There's a whole lot of variety here, more than I would have ever expected... the hype was pretty good as well, although sometimes the timbre of their voices got really wearing

Marge Litch - Fantasien 1998
Jpop meets Power Metal, works at first, then it really doesn't
although this isn't really w a n k, it's still really overstated...

is topsters working?

Madvillainy is coolio, will have to check out Kill Bill

check out some other doom stuff then, start maybe with operation doomsday

if you want some weird shit by the same dude who produced madvillainy rapping in a pitched up voice, check out quasimoto - the unseen

lol you're saying all that as if doom was some underground unknown rapper

nah i'm just assuming he ain't heard anything else by him

>record asap, i bet we'll give you at least a 3/10!
i recorded it when i first did it, won't be sharing it yet

Torts: Svitlana Nianio - Kytytsi

This was okay. I thought it brought in some interesting ideas and was nicely varied but none of the songs on this were really that great to me. Maybe I have to give it a relisten? I don't know. Might just not be for me. However, Torts advances.

Movenglut: October Falls - Sarastus

This was also okay. I thought the guitar playing and rain sounds were neat but the tracks felt a bit too sad in a cheesy way for me and just didn't really appeal to me that much. Because the album Torts chose was more interesting to me, Movenglut does not advance.

Round two over

I need recs from:

Torts
orz
yamir

>music about love
Daniel Johnston - Songs of Pain
not exactly a happy kind of love if thats what you were asking for
i cant think of any better thing for love

38 years old - the tragically hip
Gave this a relisten after reading about Gordon Downie being diagnosed with cancer. Forgot how great of a storyteller the man is and got flooded with some much needed nostalgia.

Haхyй тeбe пo pyccки гoвopить

It's any kind of love so I'll accept it.

нaдo

I think Autechre just announced a Europe tour but the warp site isn't loading so not sure.

what do u do at an autechre live show
wiggle like a *cough* autist *cough* robot

Probably true.
Have heard some cool stories about the shows though. They're usually in complete darkness so that'll help with the awkward dancing

Yessssss Autechre basically in my backyard for €17,50 :)

Oh shit want

Fucking bitch ass Atteker not even coming to Hungarly like what the fuck who does that.

I'd do that tbqh.....

u fucking nerd smdh

This is a very good post

Thanks. I tried.

Jesus christ it's hot today.
This street party festival in Copenhagen called Distortion starts today. It's fucking massive.
Going to band practice soon.
Probably going to this thing afterwards.

Uhh, nice
Do they come to germany?

Today I relistened to un peu de neige salie by Bernhard Günter. It is a microsound record so it is very quiet throughout (there's tinnitus-like ringing every once in a while but it's barely bother -unlike in the onkyo records I've heard-) and overall I found this calm very pleasing. I enjoyed it.

(ps rec me nice records and works by French composers)

Warp's site is still down so I have no idea

thank

>messiaen
>gultskra artikler
neat
>mills
don't believe the hype

>french composers
heard this last month, was kinda neat
amazon.com/Ravel-Concertos-Valses-nobles-sentimentales/dp/B000009MF7/185-6038730-0176056?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

>don't believe the hype
Well I like his mustache on the cover but other than that I don't have high or low expectations for it.
>amazon.com/Ravel-Concertos-Valses-nobles-sentimentales/dp/B000009MF7/185-6038730-0176056?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
Uh, maybe. There's already some recordings for one of his concertos and for the valses. I'll think about it.

>mills
>don't believe the hype

>Head Machine - "Orgasm"
>rock

A dadrock album that all about fuckin and climaxing. Overall the album is kind of a dull. The novelty wears thin rather quick and while the music quality is surprisingly decent, with its touches of psychedelic, rock and blues, it doesn't hold up. You've heard it all before and heard it better, except this time its unintentionally homo-erotic.

neverendingchartrendering.org/

NEW TOPSTERS GET HYPE

>You've heard it all before and heard it better, except this time its unintentionally homo-erotic.
is that a bad thing though

ah didnt see that the first time around
neither did i see a moustache, just looks like his upper lip imo, so ya might wanna reconsider the spot
btw abtu/anet is the one GA to go for imo, unless ya already did

Oh I thought he had a mustache, but a bigger image confirm he doesn't have one. Shame, it would look cool.
>btw abtu/anet is the one GA to go for imo, unless ya already did
I haven't, are the two records really different anyway?

ffs chrome just crashed while i was typing out my shitty reviews so they'll be even shittier now because I cba writing them out fully again. Afternoon btw.

>Simon Finn - Pass The Distance
Pretty great, wanted to listen to this ages ago after someone played Jerusalem on plug but never got round to it. Jerusalem is definitely the high point with it's raw vocals but most of the album was good too. 4/5

>Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
Never liked Pere Ubu when I first listened to them a year or two ago but I actually liked this this time round. Still don't love it even though I probably should, it's pretty much just 60s garage/punk through a slightly experimental prism but it just doesn't quite work. I don't know if I want it to be weirder but either way it's enjoyable. 3.5/5

>CCCP - Affinità-divergenze fra il compagno Togliatti e noi: Del conseguimento della maggiore età
I expected this album to be a lot 'edgier' musically. I'm sure I'm missing quite a bit lyrically but it's just pretty standard punk/post punk with at least one riff sounding like it could have been on a Buzzcocks album. It's done well enough though so I'll give it a 3.5/5.

>CCCP

It's one of the best Italian albums but k :(

nah i spose it doesnt matter much, and i spose im just biased towards a/a for i listened to it earlier/more

I liked it and I think my expectations might have affected my opinion on it.

Can you give me any context for the album? I've not read up on it at all.

I still listen to that on occasion. I remember being so excited to hear it

GUUUUUUYS

I'd be hype and all but I've been kinda liking just using Photoshop more. Sure it takes longer and is less convenient but it's more customizable and kinda feels nicer.

nice, I like the addition of image backgrounds

Morning /daily/!!!
Lots of new people it seems
As long as you like free jazz and pigs we'll get along just fine

>After all these years it’s still shit.
TOLD YA MAN
THINK OF THE WASTED FREE JAZZ
Excite for: Free Jazz, Push the Sky Away, Moanin, Taking Tiger Mountain, Curtis

I always read your reviews :8)

gross

YELL YELL YELL

Putting Black Saint in a tourney spot should be illegal

White noise from my fan, but once I make a nice pot of coffee then I'll hop onto Ornette Coleman: Change of the Century

cool chart
>is topsters working?
heh

consider stopping doing reviews

>consider stopping doing reviews
o boy just you wait until I attempt to review the jazz I'm listening to now.

pls no

>Lots of new people it seems
Yeah it's been insane lately.
>Putting Black Saint in a tourney spot should be illegal
What can I say Jangle, I'm a law breaker
>consider stopping doing reviews
Rude

listening to Scenery atm, I'm leaning towards a 'this is a good jazz 3.5/5'

Scenery is great. Which track are you on?