Digital revolution

Remember when you actually had to physically go to the store to buy music? This not a nostalgic or >le wrong genertion post, i just need to stress the idea of physical vs digital, and how different it is (not even talking about pirated vs legal).
Youngfags will find it hard to relate to, but this is a pretty big deal. I used to listen to cd/tapes over and over again simply because i couldn't access a shitload of readily available music with a few clicks like today. And you couldn't just buy anything unless you had the money.
Now i feel like i just grew tired of non stop barrage of new music. Is it a supply and demand kind of thing? Like once you have unlimited access to music you start to give a fuck less about it.
I heard the cut off point for oldfags is around 32 when it comes to liking new music, so it just might be it. It's fucking depressing, brehs

wait so you want to hear less music?

Well OP I'm 33 and I love new music. I'm also one of those muralfegs who buys all their music. I do stream innanet radio and youtube and stuff a lot though. FYI the reason I buy music is because I'm a sound engineer and seeing as the music industry is where I make all my monies I just pay the $10 for an album or whatever. I find even with music readily available to buy from the comfort of my liar's chair I don't buy more than I used to. Few albums a year, I just make my money count. I buy what I want to support.

I do love/miss hunting for CDs or tapes though, and cherishing it and flipping through the booklet for hours while I listen, etc. It's not better, it's just an experience from my past I fondly remember is all. In a way it helps you immerse yourself in the work more. When you open that CD you get a bunch more from the artist than just the music... artwork, notes, etc.

Just take a break for awhile.

oh that's your answer to everything user >:|

I wish I could go to the store and just pick up some CDs but nowhere around me has anything that I want to buy and if I want to buy a physical copy of something I have to order it off the internet.

Nothing about digital being more convenient, I just can't find the stuff I want to listen to in stores near me.

Utopia records in Sydney breh. I think it's still in bidness. Or JB if you want buttpop

It's like i get get any stimulation from new music. I think i should really listen to and take a break, and maybe search for new geners after a while

It's not just you, "le wrong generation" is a thing for a reason, it called a general consensus.

Millennial music is pretty shitty for the most part, just take a look at this board. A heavy portion of Sup Forums is discussion of older music from the 80s, 90s, etc. Scan through the board catalog and count how many threads are dedicated to artist(s) from a generation other than the current one. Some days it's well over 75% of the threads here.

The truth is that there's not much energy in music right now culturally. Sadly the same is true across pop culture: movies, video games, comic books, etc. All the energy is in social media right now. Look at your own habits, you'll find yourself participating in social media far more than you participate in listening to music, watching movies, playing video games, etc.

Things have just changed, music has taken a backseat to technology and digital social interaction.

>tfw you only buy music from the second hand shop near you
The guy gave me free books the other day, he says I'm one of his bests customers. But every now and again, I'll buy something online, but it'll be physical.

Simple solution: Stop trying to listen to everything at once. There's nothing stopping you from just listening to one album to months on end. In fact, that's exactly what I do.

but that's an aspergers symptom

No, it's called impulse control. Stop trying to download and listen to everything when you clearly don't want to, you fuck.

I'm not OP btw

That's why I enjoy buying vinyl. It keeps me sort of centered in reality, as far as my music collect ion goes and isn't just some amorphous thing that grows and shrinks every year.

what is your setup and how much did it cost you?

Are you kidding me, music is in a golden age. For once aspiring artists can actually make it without ever having to sign a record contract that fucks them in the ass. The pop industry is slowly collapsing, and it's changing what it means to be a career musician. Production is easier than ever, you can achieve the same results that it took thousands of dollars of equipment to do in the past with a couple hundred dollars of software. There's multiple new interesting genres coming out every year, so many to the point where many parent genres have become an incomprehensible mess of subgenres because there's just so much goddamn music. If you don't like what's coming out now, you have over 100 years of music at your fingertips to listen to and search for inspiration or a missed gem. Why do you think so much modern music has so much older influences now? It used to be that new music sounded like whatever the new tech was at the time, be it electric guitars or analogue synths, but for once we have the tools to create pretty much any sound we could possibly desire, and the amazing knowledge base and support of the internet to help find those sounds. The ease of publishing has made it so that even an artist's shitty early stuff gets published, so you can quote literally hear them learn and develop their own sound.
It's absolutely amazing and anybody who tries to shit on "modern music" is an asshole who is stuck 20-30 years in the past and refuses to see what the future holds.

Remember when you had to wait fucking ages to find a discography torrent of a band that you liked, and then wait a bunch of days for it to seed and even then it was still slow as fuck

Nowadays you can find band discography instantly on Spotify

sure you can, but why would you?

because it's instant music and i can simply download it to my phone on wifi and listen to it on any journey home - no problems

Yea, and never give it a thorough listening because you've already moved to the next discography of another band lol
This. It's about perspective,. There's an ocean of shit out there but there are hidden gems, you just have to look. I do find myself mostly occupied with social media tho

I used to go back to discographies that I loved for thorough listenings

even now the bands that I couldn't get into back in those days - I still can't really get into :\

The digital revolution killed reggae.

oversaturation is not a good thing

Yes, all of that is true but music isn't in a golden age, quite the opposite actually.

Music has lost nearly all it's cultural importance. The only artists from the last fifteen years that have had a cultural importance are people like Kayne, Taylor Swift, and Beyonce. Manufactured industry products, in other words.

Anything is possible in music right now from a creative and technological standpoint but it's come in a time where no one cares anymore, social media gas eclipsed music completely. This is the reality in modern music and the future of music is diminishing returns.

Music has been relegated to a hobby at best, resembling something closer to stamp collecting than a generational zeitgeist.

There is a lot of good stuff out there, you just have to look at the smaller scenes of music like bandcamp and solo artists to find it.

There was this guy on Sup Forums who spammed some band called Kevin and the Bikes that was some sort of joke band but they've made more interesting material imo, than say, A Moon Shaped Pool honestly.

Anybody who believes music gets better the further down you dig into a genre is deluded. The cream floats to the top without fail. Unfortunately we've come to the point where there's very little cream appearing anymore. None of the things you listed have been a positive force in music. Explain that.

That's cool, but I listen to music to listen to music. I really don't care about it's importance in culture, thus I think music is doing great.

If the cream always floats to the top then why isn't everyone listening to classical? :^)

>golden age
And people collect stamps to collect stamps. Just don't pretend stamp collecting has any cultural significance or importance.
Haa haa haa! Jazz, am I right?

Sure, just don't pretend that cultural significance is important.

I'm not actually, but thanks for reinforcing my original point that music has become culturally insignificant/valueless.

First, I'm not the "golden age" guy. Second your point was that music can't be in a golden age if it's not culturally significant. Me and the golden age guy both think the music is doing well from when it comes to personal expression and consumption since it's more varied, easier to create, and easier to find than ever before.

I legitimately don't understand what else you think matters about music. It's a personal art form, it doesn't have to be huge cultural touchstone.

This totally sound like nostalgia dickriding to me though.

This solidifies it for me:
>Youngfags will find it hard to relate to, but this is a pretty big deal.

That way of discovering music is of the past. Instead of searching through the shelves at your local record shop, you go through the RYM lists, or whatever website you choose, and do that from the comfort of your home. I can understand the need to have something physical to represent the music you love, but it's just faster, cheaper, way of attaining more diverse and in general just more music. If you speed through it without feeling anything about it that's your prerogative, and your own fault, because it's working just fine for a lot of people.

No, I understand your point of view, you look at it as a hobby and as a hobby it's doing great. I agree with you there. Bedroom musicians who have no ambition for anything other than being a bedroom musician are thriving. You can call a lack of ambition and drive "doing well" if you'd like, but if it was actually "doing well" people would care about it (and you wouldn't be able to contain it to your bedroom), but they don't.

If you look at it from any greater point of view (lol, culturally for example) it's not doing well at all. Music has exited mainstream consciousness, no one outside of a handful of bedroom hobbyists like you cares anymore.

>personal expression and consumption since it's more varied, easier to create, and easier to find than ever before.
all this actually leads to is mountains of shit from people who have no business making music that some gatekeeper has to sort through. shitty sites p4k actually thrive under these conditions

>It's a personal art form
Music is about communication, the dissemination of an idea, feeling, emotion, etc. You're deluded if you think expressing yourself is a solitary pursuit. The only value music has is cultural value. Otherwise it's just masturbation.

Even if music was still a cultural phenomenon there would still be tons of smaller artists not really participating in it. Looking back to the nostalgia periods you guys are glorifying there's still tons of good artists that didn't really get any recognition. And if the Internet (and other recent tech) didn't exist you would either just not hear about them/be able to listen to them or they just wouldn't exist at all.

It sounds like you want overall less music, either in existence at all or possible to find, in favor of what is there dominating everyday life. Doesn't really make any sense to me but this kind of thinking seems to be common for some people so there's a reason I imagine.

Without the internet you would have never discovered the music you are listening to.

This. Rutracker changed my life

I live in the US.

So much willing stupidity/ignorance, it's astounding. A simple wiki search of general punk history through the 70s & 80s would be enough to refute these ridiculous arguments.

>It sounds like you want overall less music, either in existence at all or possible to find, in favor of what is there dominating everyday life.
No one's advocating this at all, just don't pretend the situation music is in right now is somehow some positive or desirable "golden age".

Same. I add Soulseek too.

>A simple wiki search of general punk history through the 70s & 80s would be enough to refute these ridiculous arguments.
what?

>what?
Exactly. Move along.

>disagree with a statement
>answer with nonsense
>he thinks to have proved his point

Uh huh. Kindly move along now.

Thanks.

/troll

I'm 21. I remember buying CD's and I still have a collection. However, my taste didn't mature before streaming and digital music was well-established. Honestly, I do get where you're coming from, however I find that it's more useful to try and engage with your time that you live in. I might not cherish every single album as much as I did with my CD's, but on the other hand there's so much new music just on my soundcloud stream every day.

I also find myself enjoying the 'overload' of sensual stimulation. Listening to experimental, very heavy, grimey, post-club stuff for a whole day will leave me with a feeling that is a combination of fatigue and dread, and irregular, but fairly constant thrusts of dopaminergic peasure.

If English were my first language, I could probably explain myself better

Enjoy your last (you).

TFW still does it basically every week. Me to the right.

no please keep reply

rock music followed the same path of jazz:
jazz was anti-establishement for decades, then became mainstream and cultural relevant in the 40s 50s for finally fading into the niche market.

Today rock is a niche music genre.

I'm more triggered by the death of headroom and dynamic in music. Popular music is a high frequency nightmare nowadys. Absolutely disgusting

All music has fallen into niche music genres at this point except for maybe country, mainstream rap and pop.

nah, you might be right about the direction that rock is going to take, but it is way too early to declare rock a niche genre.

However, I think millenials (I'm 21 and don't consider myself part of this group in this specific context, I'm rather talking 12-15 year olds) might be the first generation that slowly will outgrow rock music as a popular genre for the masses.

I still think that everyone in my generation will have some kind of relationship with rock music in popular culture, in whatever form or shape it may be. Maybe millenials is even a tad too early.

Vaporwave is the answer

I don't know what you're talking about, I love being able to hear a variety of music without being limited. There's a lot of good shit I wouldn't have found back in ye goode olde days.

On that note, can anyone recommend any new, listening worthy music?

100% agree.

are you aware that vaporwave is exacly italo-disco of the 80s?