Roger Daltrey: There's no music industry anymore, why would we make an album?

The Who frontman says the internet has stolen the record industry and gives musicians no incentive to make new music

Roger Daltrey says The Who are unlikely to ever release another album because the internet has "stolen" the music industry.

The frontman admits he and guitarist Pete Townshend have discussed the possibility of making a follow-up to 2006's Endless Wire, but as it stands he can't see it happening.

The Who unveiled standalone single Be Lucky in 2014 and at the time, Daltrey hinted that a full album would follow.

But he tells Rolling Stone: "We've talked about it, but it's not going to be easy. There's no record industry anymore. Why would I make a record?

"I would have to pay to make a record. There's no royalties so I can't see that ever happening. There's no record business. How do you get the money to make the records? I don't know.

"I'm certainly not going to pay money to give my music away free. I can't afford to do that. I've got other things I could waste the money on."

Asked why the record industry is in the state that it's in, Daltrey adds: "Well, it's been stolen. The way the internet has come about has been the biggest robbery in history, like musicians should work for nothing.

"You get paid for streaming, my ass. There's no control. Musicians are getting robbed every day. And now it's creeping into film and television, everything now.

"You notice, the internet is a slowly but surely destructive thing in all ways. I don't think it's improved people's lives. It's just made them do more work and feel like they're wanted a bit more, but it's all bollocks.

"They feel like they're wanted because they got 50,000 Facebook likes or whatever, and it's all bollocks. Look up for a while. Live in the real world."

- - -

is he right, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

teamrock.com/news/2016-06-01/roger-daltrey-there-s-no-music-industry-anymore-why-would-we-make-an-album
youtu.be/RADUo7UUBxo
nielsen.com/us/en/press-room/2016/nielsen-releases-2015-music-report-on-demand-streaming-grows-by-93-percent.html
telegraph.co.uk/music/news/half-the-people-buying-vinyl-dont-actually-bother-listening-to-i/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_or_Bust#Charts_and_certifications
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

forgot link

teamrock.com/news/2016-06-01/roger-daltrey-there-s-no-music-industry-anymore-why-would-we-make-an-album

Old fat bastard

old rock bands coasting off legacy like The Who are some of the only musicians that actually do sell physical records now; he is the absolute last person that should be complaining about this

>old man can't into internet

What else is new?

greedy manlet

so he's admitting he doesn't actaully care about music unless he get's money for it? lol

isn't he a pedophile or something

why would it matter what he thinks

Music isn't ending because of the Internet.

Music never ends.

>The Who is still together
Why are they both so greedy and careless?

'pop' music is the key word

no, he's mad because no one likes his music anymore. stuck in the past

You're thinking of Pete Townshend

Also, this:

youtu.be/RADUo7UUBxo

The Who is still a band?

weirdly enough he's one of the few older artist who doesn't have his shit get taken off youtube/soundcloud

Why dont you spend money making music and then try to pay bills

that's because Pink Floyd is huge and have their own publishing corporation (Pink Floyd Music Ltd.) which is richer than most record labels, and they don't waste their time and energy hiring teams of millenials to enforce the internet like the old petty labels do.

I should point out that newer labels (Artery, Rise, etc) aren't petty about that shit either.

lol what a faggot

Yes, the recording industry is in terminal decrepitude but using it as an excuse for being a lazy piece of shit just makes you a fuckass.

not that user but I do.
I've bought tons of gear and recorded music and put it on bandcamp for absolutely free.
Daltry is just proving here he cares more about a paycheck than making a piece of art.

THIS
I make music because I WANT to. Not because of the $10 donation paycheck I get from bandcamp every month.

file this under 'who gives a shit"?

the who haven't made a good album since the who sell out

>The Who is still together
Their 50th anniversary tour was actually pretty good.

Literally who?

shit bait

He is right in the sense that the internet has made it so that music has become worthless, and in turn this means that musicians have to work much harder for far less, with far more barriers to "make it" and much less, if any help from labels.

>I've bought tons of gear and recorded music and put it on bandcamp for absolutely free.
>Daltry is just proving here he cares more about a paycheck than making a piece of art.

Yeah this.

Its funny how multi millionaires say they can't find the money to make a record, fuck you

hehehehe

lol

He's right and anyone who disagrees is in denial or a thief.

we better start buying music again if we wanna see that new Who album boys

Another old person stuck in the 90s,
move on nothing to see here

>Why would I make a record?
You wouldn't anyways because half of your band is fucking dead

He's not totally wrong

At this point albums are only viable as 'trailers' for tours. The record market is at its all time lowest. The only growing sectors are vinyl (which is really a meme) and streaming with its questionable merits.

Man, the end of the 90's really were glorious. It's where the bullshit, "hurr durr, if they download it or stream it then they'll buy the album" bullshit comes from.

See, back then, the internet was so damn slow, it took a while to download a song. You wouldn't just download everything a band ever did in 30 seconds with the click of a button. So you downloaded it. Liked it. And went to the store to buy the album to be able to play on your awesome sound system.

The excuse worked back then.

Now they're still trotting out the same excuse they used to justify their thievery when the game has changed, completely.

>Its funny how multi millionaires say they can't find the money to make a record, fuck you
Except it isn't funny.

If you can't make music Roger then give some of your money to some poor fuck who can, it's why some musicians become producers and label owners themselves.

Who gives a shit what a band who has literally 1 good album thinks?

>vinyl (which is really a meme)

2/10

Try harder next time Montie

oy vey

Not that user, but I remember reading about vinyl sales going up by like 10 percent. However, that still was not enough to encourage investors to open new machines to create vinyls and is still a small number when compared to the amount of people who just stream their music.

>However, that still was not enough to encourage investors to open new machines to create vinyl
That's because its much cheaper to keep pressing CDs, and cheaper yet to release music digitally. Why do you think the RIAA tried to kill vinyl in the first place?

I massively respect Roger and Pete as artists and love all The Who's work but feel this is misinformed and symptomatic of a man who feels like he no longer has anything to offer the music industry, rather than vice versa. Modern artists make the vast majority of their revenue from touring and with specific exceptions like M Gira (who manages to convince his fan base to buy physical records by running his own label and hand signing/painting his album covers) they always find a way to bring their art into the public eye. If Townshend really doesn't produce another record again (which I hope he will), it only shows that he is not capable of producing anything of worth.

>it only shows that he is not capable of producing anything of worth.
Be honest-- he wasn't able to since 1978

nielsen.com/us/en/press-room/2016/nielsen-releases-2015-music-report-on-demand-streaming-grows-by-93-percent.html

> Vinyl album sales continued to grow, with sales up 30%, accounting for nearly 9% of total physical album sales.

Reminder that this is mostly tryhard "listeners" with record players that destroy vinyl, who often don't even listen to the records at all after buying them.

So, they are 9% of the physical market now… Fucking hell. I think I'm starting to understand Daltrey a bit more

He has a point you know

>who often don't even listen to the records at all after buying them.
[citation needed]

About 2/3 of Endless Wire was fantastic, if they'd kept the runtime down to 40 minutes and cut out the boring derivative stuff it'd be viewed as a modern classic. The mini-opera Wire & Glass in particular (20 minutes in full) was fantastic.

The Who's problem is they're irrelevant except to those who want to see them live and looks like he doesn't want to tour.

I believe that someone who came out with a new thing that was actually good will still do well, not 70s-90s well when an album sold tens of millions, but well enough to be worthwhile. Burial is a nice example, albeit from 2007. He did something new, didn't tour, was anonymous and still sold millions of copies.

Thom Yorke's Tommorow boxes from 2014 sold a shitload of downloads on bitorrent and there's no cost involved / inventory after the album's created.

I'd like to see 2014 to present

I assumed Sup Forums has heard the news

telegraph.co.uk/music/news/half-the-people-buying-vinyl-dont-actually-bother-listening-to-i/

> An ICM poll for the BBC has revealed that, of the people who bought a record in the past month, 48% have yet to play it - and 7% of those don't even own a turntable.

It is ambiguous though how many of those 48% actually don't open the records, and the poll sample matters too… But at least we have 7% of complete retards, and that's pretty disturbing

>what is a collector's item

It was the 70s, so you just KNOW young groupies were violated in every open orifice.

Oh, there were silly rumoUrs...

Who even cares? I'd love to have a collection of my favourite albums desu, I'm just too poor to do so. But yeah, I can listen to all the music I want, whenever I want. If I started collecting, it would pretty much be for the sake of collecting and owning nice artwork, liner notes etc. I remember this kept getting posted when it was written and I thought the "haha, what a bunch of stupid hipsters!" reaction was retarded then too. It's nice to own pretty things by artists you like, chump

> 50% of consumers identify themselves as "collectors".

>in one moth after purchasing
As you can see, it's an unreliable standard. It's just like downloading so much music that you have a backlog of music meant to be listened to.

See the pic

"41% have a turntable but don't use it"

>"41% have a turntable but don't use it"
Maybe their brother uses it for them. Maybe they use their friends' turntable.

it's a poor survey.

hi Roger

How can he think no one makes money from music anymore? Does he think Taylor Swift waits tables during the day or something?

>Does he think Taylor Swift waits tables during the day or something?
She's a trustfund baby though

You're comparing a super-hyped artist whose tours rake in shitloads of money to poor and aging Daltrey who'll go stabbing himself in the neck

>using of of the most succesful artists of the decade as your benchmark

The revenues from the music industry have dropped insanely hard since the advent of file-sharing: this is objective fact. Artists still manage to make money out of it, mostly with touring, but the crazy sales of the 80s/90s will never happen again and streaming is a very faulty standard that fails to deliver decent earnings to 95% of the bottom of the pyramid.

Exactly. And when you lose 95% of the bottom pyramid, it's only a matter of time before you lose everybody.

You're thinking of piero scaruffi

I wonder how he explains this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_or_Bust#Charts_and_certifications

All the people calling him greedy are the ones who steal music. They're in fact the greedy ones. Who is their right mind would work for free? Who wants to go all out and put everything they have in something (like music listeners want) if they get absolutely nothing in return. The most they can get in return these days is to have their work praised but ironically in the age of entitlement where people don't pay for music, people are even harsher on music. You can't win if you try. To be a professional musician is a pipe dream at best these days.

Very interesting chart, thanks for sharing. Saved

It's interesting to compare this with industry benchmarks:

> The updated Billboard 200 will utilize accepted industry benchmarks for digital and streaming data, equating 10 digital track sales from an album to one equivalent album sale, and 1,500 song streams from an album to one equivalent album sale.

So 1500 plays on Spotify earn the artist only $1.65. Not even talking about YouTube

This is completely true. And this is exactly what killed the album. A band in studio "exile" like late '60s Beatles would be impossible today.

I assume this is why talented people no longer choose music as their career path. If Mick Jagger was choosing today, I'm sure he'd rather use his business degree

Pretty much this
I can't blame him, it doesn't make any sense to chastise someone for not being willing to spend time, money and effort on an album that many people are likely to call shit anyway, wanting to stay away from music is entirely reasonable for someone who isn't in it to make a pure passion project

Why hasn't the music industry moved beyond the record? Technology should have surpassed it already

>So 1500 plays on Spotify earn the artist only $1.65. Not even talking about YouTube
I have several albums on iTunes, Spotify and Youtube which get plays every day for the last several years and I've only made $20.

Artists need to live and have an income for fuck's sake, he has a point, even if he is rich as fuck

> implying daltry needs to sell records in 2016 to pay his bills

>Expecting to make money from music
lol

his bandmate pete loves the internet though, he especially loves downloading pictures of naked children

This.

He makes a million dollars a year by Pearl Jam covering the Who alone.

Most of Sup Forums is guilty of the same shit he would probably post here as user if he was younger

doubt that

>record companies fuck over musicians for decades
>some people steal the music
>internet comes out
>musicians can independently release music now
>some people still steal their music

The only difference is that artists who never would have been known can get some recognition now, and record companies won't fuck them over. Why isn't he defending this?

Technology wipes out whole industries all the time. It's the nature of industrialized societies. It's just vanity and shortsightedness that makes musicians think they're special and exempt from reality

ITT Kids without mortgages and spiraling health costs.

I bet you smoke and drink and are overweight yet criticize the 'healthism' of younger people. no one told you to buy a house. you're not entitled to a house. I thought we were supposed to be the entitled ones

>You get paid for streaming, my ass. There's no control. Musicians are getting robbed every day. And now it's creeping into film and television, everything now.
>You notice, the internet is a slowly but surely destructive thing in all ways. I don't think it's improved people's lives. It's just made them do more work and feel like they're wanted a bit more, but it's all bollocks.
he's not totally wrong tho

No on all three counts but I completely agree with Daltrey as well as any other musician past a certain age who brings this up. You're the kind of youngfag who would tell someone like Daltrey, hey no one told you to buy a mansion and a Maserati. As if that hasn't been his standard of living for years and was just, based on his income, an income that has dwindled through no fault of his own but changing times. You think older musicians should change with the times? Well he is, he just told you. No more records. Sure they could do it for 'free' and give it away and make money on the tour. But past a certain age, your body doesn't want to do that anymore. It can't. Gen X and Millenials are smarter about money and health and I can't stand Boomers as much as the next guy but Daltrey's got a point. The income for him is in royalties and that's gonna be dwindling soon too. CSI is over.

Music has existed for a lot longer than the record industry, and will continue to exist after it's gone.

fuck off Baba o riley

concerts?

Turk oir gatesssss!!!!!! Dem tuk ur gaydssssss!!!!!!! Tukrgyqddq!!!!!!

>Roger Daltrey says The Who are unlikely to ever release another album because the internet has "stolen" the music industry.

BOO FUCKING WHO, WHAT A LOSS

If it was Death Grips you'd be crying like a wee babe

He's got a point, if bands only make money through touring and merchandise then there's really no point in releasing new albums, anybody seeing bands like the who only want to hear the hits so it's not even like releasing a new album would increase ticket sales. Even with bands like animal collective, they could literally just tour MMP and it wouldn't make any difference.

So new albums are released to put hype around the tour?

Replace music industry with 'teddy bears', and you'll see what's really going on. 'the who' was always simpley because roger is basically a transzenner.

generally, yeah

This. I've dumped a few hundred dollars into making my music but have always offered it for free. I make music since I enjoy music, not for the money.

The endgoal of all musical creation is to get laid, not make money. What's wrong with this guy ?

>how I make music is how everyone else should
Yeah I'm sure your music is very valuable with no cost!

I can't think of any small acts that complain about revenue, just boring old millionaire farts