Name a SINGLE album that contributed more to music than this one

Name a SINGLE album that contributed more to music than this one.

I'll wait.

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/vol1/zappa.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It also invented white gult at the same time

guilt*

>Implying Zappa didn't influence this album by creating the idea of "concept" albums in rock music with Freak Out
>Implying he didn't create an even more inventive and groundbreaking album with one that was merely parodying that album
try again

I would say this didn't really "create" anything not already established in rock music unlike how Freak Out created plenty of concepts that did not exist before it.

Actually, I was thinking White Light/White Heat, MAYBE but I'd still have to go with Freak Out.

i've always felt like freak out was parodying the various styles that were already in vogue though

this

I really like this album, and I can see how it was influential production-wise and was very influential to how pop music is created, but it didn't really do anything "first." I would still say it's trumped by Freak Out, which created so much more.

Yes, it created the idea of parody in rock music.

Kind of Blue

could you remind me, what exactly did this album contribute, exactly?

>created the idea of parody in rock music
lol no "The Flying Saucer" in 1956 did most of the things that Freak Out supposedly did. it was the first use of sampling in rock music, the first example of sound collage in rock music, it was tongue-in-cheek and full of parodic elements. and it was a novelty record, just like Freak Out - a thin, charming specimen in an unserious genre.

The Velvet Underground & Nico was the elevation of the rock form into high art structures, the submerging of artistic ambition into raw, sexual energy offered by the rock idiom. TVU&N was the perfect alpha and omega of rock music.

reminder that contributing a lot to music doesn't necessarily mean the album is actually great

/thread

Influenced a lot, created almost nothing.

In the context of rock
>The first use of parody in rock music
>The first rock opera
>The first concept album
>The first use of the studio as an instrument
>Had the first prog rock music
>All in 1966
>Also the second double album ever

I never said it was good, I'm just stating it was the most important album ever.

>first use of sampling
No one claims Freak Out did this first

>first example of sound collage in rock music
Same here, what are you saying?

It's also not exactly rock music, and I would argue an early example of hip hop, given its roots in proto-turntablism

Freak Out isn't a novelty. It is the most inventive album ever.

And those VU&N statements are all just broad generalizations without stating exactly what it did. It's useless banter that makes you sound like a dumb fanboy.

I don't even like Freak Out that much, it's just very influential imo.

i was saying sweetheart of the rodeo isn't good
it's like the sixth or seventh best byrds album

you are totally shifting the goalposts now that it's been pointed out that Freak Out! doesn't do much of any of what people claim it does. i'll address your specific points

>first use of parody in rock music
"The Flying Saucer" and honestly there's skits on Beach Boys albums that are humorous. This wasn't done first by Zappa, but even if it were, it's not a musical innovation, and it's not as if it was a real game-changer.
>the first rock opera
[citation needed] Rock opera was very much a marketing label applied to longer, narrative-driven albums from the hard/prog rock genres. It's not really a thing that existed before or after the '70s. This is essentially synonymous with concept album in this usage, so let's look at that claim instead.
>the first concept album
The Colored Ventures predates it, as do a handful of records that other anons will be able to bring up. One genre that was full of concept albums was space-age pop, which predated Freak Out! and likely influenced Zappa's use of emerging electronic production techniques in the context of humorous rock music, as it would have been all around him in Southern California.
>the first use of the studio as an instrument
[citation needed] Again, we can refer to "The Flying Saucer," but there was plenty of pop and rock music that predated Freak Out! that used the acoustics of studio space, stock recordings, and such for novelty impacts. Freak Out! is an extended love letter to this early period of unspoken experimenters, and you're confusing homage for innovation because the people to whom it pays homage were lost to the sands of time.

>first prog rock music
This is the only serious claim you have, but I'm not sure how creating a single subgenre of rock music makes an album the MOST influential in rock history.

>all in 1966
yes, 10 years after "The Flying Saucer" and i believe four years after The Colored Ventures

>second double album ever
this is by definition not an innovation

Mister America walk on by

>citation needed
here's someone who knows a LOT more than music than you, pal:
scaruffi.com/vol1/zappa.html

BECAUSE HE INVENTED IT
AND THEN PERFECTED IT