/comp/

/comp/

Composition general

An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the theory autists

This will differ from /prod/ in that it is more focused on art music and music theory. That is not to say /prod/'s electronic music is unwelcome, by all means, post here! But follow in the footsteps of the classical composers of the 20th century who experimented in electronic music.

Post clyps, and please post accompanying notation so we can accurately critique your composing from a theory perspective

>Theory
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
>tl;dr version
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic#

>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw&list=PL341D841389B2FEC7

composer.rowy.net/

>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

Can someone help me build the copypasta? We need stuff on harmony and melody and notation

Other urls found in this thread:

opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=GQ5Co1vPRaw
hinesmusic.com/What_Are_Makams.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Iat6r5jVS0A
youtube.com/watch?v=s7vZURdhucM
youtube.com/watch?v=EZTSkO_S770
clyp.it/dqchpj1k
youtube.com/watch?v=IampNk-k_Ag
clyp.it/d0prscao
clyp.it/wkab4xgs
soundcloud.com/moonchickendograt/authentic-chorale
mediafire.com/download/2a22zp2aqbuzfj2/ff.wav
clyp.it/tvcjhk4g
dropbox.com/s/qd3mmw7ozhcxena/sketch[1].mp3?dl=0
youtube.com/watch?v=LGs_vGt0MY8
youtube.com/watch?v=BRfF7W4El60
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, some infographics

Bumping

If these threads become a regular thing, I'll start contributing some original compositions

>>Fux's Counterpoint
>opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

is this worth reading or am i better off reading some contemporary counterpoint textbook

i love it, its helped me alot. Can you really refuse to read the book that Beethoven trusted?

new ideas always help (though this is technically an old idea)

use this to make chord progression (remember to break the rules whenever you feel like it)

This sounds like a good idea for a general. Even if I don't compose it would be interesting to here your stuff and get different ideas and theories on Classical music.

How do you pronounce Fux?

fooks, long -oo like shampoo

dubs

>Posting this bait

>the intros and solos are the job of the lead guitarist

could anyone explain linear counterpoint to me?

>counterpoint
>harping about progressions that dont include goat ii- V7 I
>no blues, no rhythm changes, certainly no latin
>what are changes even doe
>what is the diminished mode
>what are modes even
>what is harmonic minor
>what modes come from whoah you flatted the 3rd
>what is super locrian
>what is a 7th chord
>what is a flat 9, sharp 11, flat 13 dominant?
>what are all these numbers
>in how many keys do you find c major 7?
>what is comping
>what is polyrhythm

>not knowing your jazz theory
>still harping on about sonataallegro in 2016
>intro chorus bridge chorus trade 8's chorus outro
>what is the piano

>mfw lydian is the true center or tonal gravity, and C is a lie
>mfw i know literally nothing about music

hate the fact that this got buried. I'd post my compositions if i w-w-w-w-w-weren't unconfident desu. y'all can post yours though and I'll tell you what I think of it. c'mon, don't be shy, I won't even call you a fag if I hate it, I promise. keep in mind that this coming from someone who's been composing classically for a year and a half, so I may be a bit of a newbie

Jazz is art music, too, your compositions are welcome

The harmony is especially interesting, do you have a good resource to add to the copypasta?

Can you explain how to write a solid musical period and sentence?

you mean like cadences & melodies? you really have to learn how to construct melodies, you could probably be taught that perfect fifths and fourths "feel" pure and that tritones "feel" weird and that major/minor seconds "feel" tense, but that will only serve clarify what you're already likely to learn naturally. as for cadences, you can do what you like. traditionally one will end on the tonic, but you can end with a specific melodic line that's repeated throughout the comp, or with the fourth or fifth degree, or even with some dissonant tone. it's all about what fits & what sounds good. btw I'm bad with music theory terminology, sorry

best theory is jazz theory. ive had classical teachers that just do not understand that there is a universe beyond the planet of the 7 major modes.

levines jazz book. post a torrent theres tons of em. i recommend a pastebin.

but this is all presupposing you all can read the black dots on lines and between the lines. and know at least your major scales. and considering the abundant raping of the guitar that goes on around here, something tells me nobody can play me a rootless 251 in drop 2 around the cycle.

all the books i have are for piano. but essentially know all your modes. "minor" is almost always the natural minor built from the 6th mode. which is lol still "major".

flat the 3rd degree, you get 7 new modes. welcome to jazz.
add a passing tone between the 5th/6th degree, woah u get a world of new modes. whole tone harmony, coltrane changes, all based off augmented chord tones (stack major thirds, they cycle after the 3rd iteration). diminished chords are stacked minor 3rds,cycle after the 4th iteration.

diminished scales, 3 total. from each scale you can derive 4 dominant chords.

a -7b5 chord (minor triad w/ 6 in the base aka HALFDIM) is a rootless dominant chord with a b9. each major/natural minor key has 2 major chords, 1 -7b5, 1 dom7, 3 minor.

>if you cant improvise you cant compose

jazzadvice.com is also nice

again: i know less than nothing about music.

youtube.com/watch?v=GQ5Co1vPRaw

this guy. this guy knows shit about music. i dont. i can barely fucking arrange a standard.

Trained composer here. I support this thread

Posting a few maqams for those interested in microtonal music

You can find more info here on what the microtonal symbols mean and how much to retune notes (all DAWs will let you fine tune notes to at least the nearest 10 cents, if not the nearest cent):
hinesmusic.com/What_Are_Makams.html

whaddya think of Alois Haba famalam? he's the one who got me into microtonal music

youtube.com/watch?v=Iat6r5jVS0A

How does a jazz musician compose? It must be difficult to leave enough room for improv

How did you guys memorize your scales? One major/minor per day?

the fuck are you on about
Levine's book is outdated af, modal playing is not exactly new, and classical music teachers past your undergrad intro to music theory are certainly at the very least aware of the concepts you outlined because serialist and post tonal music has been around for nearly ONE-HUNDRED YEARS.

its hypocritical to criticise the classical music theory and analysis school for being outdated or backwards when academic jazz theory has fallen into the exact same situation

OH, and the lydian chromatic concept is basically a hippy conspiracy theory

Haba is fucking great. I have respect for any composer who manages to make microtonal music sound good! That particular piece you posted doesn't even sound microtonal, only towards the last minute or so.

there's something about the violin that seems to work with microtonal music. played on piano it usually sounds like shit, but on violin, at its very worst, it sounds like regular dissonance. btw the only really good microtonal piano piece I've actually heard is by Alois:
youtube.com/watch?v=s7vZURdhucM

nah man, lamonte young's microtonal piano stuff is great

damn, you're right. it's always fun to find microtonal music that isn't just trying to be edgy or something.

>My favorite circle graph

Question, can a balanced knowledge in theory be attained through online resources? It's been a difficult journey learning and I find it hard to connect the dots when I try to create. Most of the time I create with intuition and edit with theory

>Most of the time I create with intuition and edit with theory
same t b h. most of what i do is intuition. my intuition is shit tho

ive gone through so many books dude what the fuck why cant i play a standard

How do you explain to a tone deaf girl the difference and similarity between g3 and g4 (an octave)

That is the most confusingest chart I've ever seen. TMI

youtube.com/watch?v=EZTSkO_S770

>tfw last composition workshop JP was my mentor.
He's such a nice guy! amazing music as well. Omnifenix is the best saxohpone concerto yet.

Weird and probably stupid question, but are there "scales" that aren't part of the 12 main notes used in most music? All scales, even non-western ones, are all playable by western instruments (usually pentatonic), and there are those weird ones like hexatonic and so forth, which are still describable through A#, A, Ab, and so on.

But can you forget all that and remove one note from the chromatic scale, so that the 12 evenly spaced intervals in an octave become 11 evenly spaced intervals, and so forth? What would that sound like?

If she's actually deaf, the difference between a sine wave with one frequency and another with twice that frequency.

The last mode of Messian's modes of limited transposition is a mode with 11 notes from memory

tone deaf, and what good does that do? Who the fuck hears via sine wave. Just an all round terrible response

You're retarded, you can't explain something to someone that they can't perceive. It's like trying to explain the color blue to a blind person.

you're basically describing some types of microtonal music

>12 evenly spaced intervals

THEY'RE NOT EVENLY SPACED DID I JUST BLOW YOUR MIND

Think about it, there's an infinite amount of notes between a semitone, we humans just can't hear the differences very well.

what if people yelled at 126 db
(which is about as loud as a jet engine)

i'm pretty sure those are MIDI numbers, not dB measurements

They are in equal tempered music

literally the point of post-baroque western harmony

Pretty sure they are evenly spaced

Maybe you guys might like this

clyp.it/dqchpj1k

>clyp.it/dqchpj1k
tune ur piano ouch

otherwise nice

I saved like half of the thread's pictures

Thanks. The piano hasn't been tuned for years. I stopped playing for a good 4 years, only came back to tinker with it a bit.

So do I really have to read fux? I want to into counterpoint but I'm looking for alternatives.

I mean, I can into the theory and stuff, but I wish he just listed the rules systematically or something instead of the whole student teacher story shit.

Also, unrelated, but I see people posting cheatsheets and such, do you guys have /wg/ versions?

>write two or more melodies
>hope they go well with each other
>they don't
>try to fix everything
>it's more terrible than before
>cry

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

>This will differ from /prod/ in that it is more focused on art music and music theory. That is not to say /prod/'s electronic music is unwelcome, by all means, post here! But follow in the footsteps of the classical composers of the 20th century who experimented in electronic music.
Do I get a pass for this?
youtube.com/watch?v=IampNk-k_Ag

>How did you guys memorize your scales? One major/minor per day?
That's not how you memorise all the scales. Learn the rules of why the notes are there and you only need to really learn one of each. You can just transpose it to whatever key then.

They are evenly spaced after about 1750. Thats what the "Well Tempered Clavier" was all about, showcasing the stability of the new tuning system by having preludes and fugues in every key (in the non-standard spaced tunings like pythagorean and mean tone, keys that weren't C, D G or A tended to sound strained and weird)

>I want to into counterpoint but I'm looking for alternatives.
University. That or read through a modern harmony textbook. Fux is pretty good to be honest, if you work through his exercises diligently and check your work, you will understand counterpoint.

Salome unrelated

Somewhat old and simple things i would have posted in /comp/ if it existed at that time

Opinions, advices ?

clyp.it/d0prscao
clyp.it/wkab4xgs

Made a chorale for concert band based off of this image. Thanks for the inspiration!

I only wrote the brass parts. The woodwinds are verbatim their brass counterparts, aside from sharing all moving lines.

This is about as good as it gets with free soundfonts.

soundcloud.com/moonchickendograt/authentic-chorale

this is quite nice

thanks!

>using diatonic chords and not inventing new triads
>no modal interchange

I've wrote some pretty weird shit before, very unfinished things that don't make a lot of sense. I def wouldn't put on my soundcloud.

mediafire.com/download/2a22zp2aqbuzfj2/ff.wav

>University
nope, too late for that
>read through a modern harmony textbook.
I guess I could do that, Any suggestions?
>Fux
Maybe if I can't find anything else

Thanks, user

kostka-payne is pretty commonly used afaik. my local half price books has a ton of them, so yours might too

Dude wtf are you doing to those poor guitars?!
Don't lean them on the neck like that, you'll fuck them up. Especially the semi acoustic that is leaned OVER A FUCKING RADIATOR! Jesus I'm triggered so hard by this.
Lean them on something where the weight is rested on the body of the guitar so the necks don't warp. And not over a fecking radiator where the heat will make it worse!

>inventing new triads
>new triads
>new

u wot

>ER A FUCKING RADIATOR
heatings not on

I tak ethem on 10 mile walks without cases, they'll br fine, donmt sweat it

>I tak ethem on 10 mile walks without cases, they'll br fine, donmt sweat it
Seriously dude, it won't do it all in one day but leaning them on the neck like that will fuck the action and intonation after a few years. I seriously hope you don't do this.

It was a Gibson les paul they are notoriously unbalanced

If it was a Telecaster I would have been more upset.

How do you compose with modes when there's no clear chord progression?

>re's no clear chord progression?
it was rained on?

don't bother

Dont know if there are any Singaporeans here, but I wrote this for a compilation of local songs. Thoughts? Once again it's largely improvised, so mistakes are aplenty.

clyp.it/tvcjhk4g

Opps wrong song

dropbox.com/s/qd3mmw7ozhcxena/sketch[1].mp3?dl=0

Ryuichi Sakamoto, is that you?

Is there any kind of site for creative composing challenges?

Like, I read a text about Morton Feldman where it mentions he gave his students creative composing challenges, such as a work for soprano and orchestra where the soprano sings an article in the newspaper. Is there some kind of place for shit like that?

I don't understand who's that?

You'd probably dig him. It was meant as a compliment.
youtube.com/watch?v=LGs_vGt0MY8

I can't check out the video now but I will do it when I have time. Anymore Japanese pianist I should check out?

>csq no feedback
am i this bad /comp/ ?

Not Japanese, but another of my favourites is Erik Satie.

Are there some books I could just read on this shit instead? I prefer books to online resources for this sort of thing.

focus on the tensions and finding some way of resolving them I guess? like 6 to b7 on Mixolydian for example

of course that could imply things like add6 -> 7 chord in whatever the key is, but it could mean something else depending on what the other instruments are playing, etc. so it's ambiguous, but sort of still functional

Not really good on theory and stuff but I've been playing around with my guitar and muscore for a while
I think I sort of get how the notes work, etc ( but probably still suck at reading).

Anyway, I'm not really sure how to continue. Any tips?

pic related if it helps at all lol

I can't really provide any constructive criticism, but it's pretty good.

I think you should work on the second song, the part that you've already written coupled with some other instruments could make for a very interesting rhythm section

Could you provide the .mscz file?

wow, this is really embarassing. how can you deduct from the easiest and most basic classical music theory charts that classical music theory doesn't go any further? all the points of your post are covered very thoroughly in classical music, and in a much more constructive way than in jazz.
Jazz musicians always try to explain why something is brillant after the wanked on their instruments, listen to something like Ravel, such raffinesse, and you ask "what are all these numbers" as if composers where idiots that couldn't think about it.
Do you even compose?

After the second volta, instead of writing out the flat A's and D's you should change the key to F minor

filedropper dot com slash untitled-4_3

Thanks, I'll try to see how to do that in muscore

the 12 tones are derived from stucking perfect fifths with a small difference in the end, which is compnesated by the temperation. A 11 tone system would be completely arbitrary and not built on musical tradition.

depends on how he's going to continue. If you change the key you imply a change in the ductus of the piece, but mostly it's just for some bars. In the development section classical composers hardly ever change the key, also the second theme is always written with accidents to show that there is some kind of tension there.

>Is there some kind of place for shit like that?
university / college
composition classes are 100% "write x piece for y instruments"

look at renaissance music. They focus on voice leading, and melodies. When the modal melodies interweave in polyphony, it creates tension and release, which is what chords do anyway.

Also modes can and do create chords, your chords are simply made up of the notes from the mode. (see pic)

I mean look at this, entirely in one mode (some raised notes around cadences) and yet some of the most beautiful music ever written:
youtube.com/watch?v=BRfF7W4El60