EDM is garbage Edition
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
Still needs work

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!

No Soundclouds, clyps only, because yeah
Post tracks, express opinions, show templates, share stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/trulsmedpuls/sets/mammalia-ep
youtube.com/watch?v=CwM8hkWFJs4
soundonsound.com/sos/oct07/articles/qa1007_1.htm
clyp.it/hx2avrp0
clyp.it/x0ossdpy
createdigitalmusic.com/2014/11/akai-rhythm-wolf-review-analog-doesnt-always-mean-better/
clyp.it/1wjwuwcn
twitter.com/AnonBabble

finally a /prod/ thread with the obligatory Lunga.
good job OP

we haven't had those in a while

What's everybody's usual vocal chain

mine:
- Compressor: CLA76 or 2A, or Fabfilter Pro C
- stock Pro Tools EQ for a low cut and other subtractive EQ
- the mids Puigtec EQ for getting rid of low-mid mud
- the regular Puigtec EQ for adding some high end
- Waves Deesser
- send to a reverb, generally Oxford reverb
- send to a delay

eq before compressor you noob

Not him but why ?

I'm seeing autechre soon
WEW
L
A
D
S

nice

IM GOING TO BULLY SEAN

Why does a bear shit in the woods?
Cause you want to compress the sound after it's been eq'd nicely.

Trap is garbage Edition V2.2

both are god awful

I made an EP recently. did it in four days for a school project. The spoken word is in norwegian, but dont mind that. Tell me what you think please.

soundcloud.com/trulsmedpuls/sets/mammalia-ep

PS: anybody know if Presswerk compressors are worth the money?

>soundcloud
Get the pitchforks boys.

SOUNDCLOUD RAUS!

pls

soundcloud is not regarded very well in these threads because of the self-advertisement connotation

you sound is not my shit sorry user

SSL would like a word with you

youtube.com/watch?v=CwM8hkWFJs4

>SOUNDCLOUD
gwaaaHSDLACBLabcalsfblHASBVB!
SBFKAUBVBFHALEBVALEUFBLAS!
GWAR!!!!!! SoUnDcLoUdKiD!!!!!!

fair enough. ignore the link then- but anyone got experience with presswerk?

No idea sorry

>Why does a bear shit in the woods?
that's not even what the saying is or how that saying works

oh look I boosted 1khz at 7dB and now the compressor is triggering earlier than it would have had I instead placed the compressor before the EQ. And my intended EQ changes have been slightly altered by the compression

soundonsound.com/sos/oct07/articles/qa1007_1.htm
Most of the time EQing should be done after compression, but it's not a concrete rule and it depends on what you're doing. For instance maybe you'd want to EQ out some plosives in a vocal so that they don't trigger the compressor

(OP)
>people have different tastes to me
Who cares? Just don't listen to it.

bumperinoooo

working on this experimental beat

im quite happy with it but i think needs more lowend, which im struggling to give it

what are your thoughts?

clyp.it/hx2avrp0

picture not related

just a loop
and if its your picture its embarassing

you jelly is showing goy

kek'd loudly, /prod/ is literally retarded now

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but here goes:

How much do you have to know about music to be able to properly make it? Do you have to have listened to a lot of different kinds? Because I'm just a lowly man who like everyone likes to listen to !music, however I want to make !music as well for the creative art of it. Thanks all.

Oy vey

guise anyone looking for collabs? i play the bass, some drums, samplers. i like a lot of different stuff. to the guy whom asked me if i like tame impala, yes i do

something played on the bass dunno
clyp.it/x0ossdpy

you can write me here
[email protected]

Yes, presswerk is literally baby jesus reincarnated in compressor form.

The only thing required is to have a critical ear for music. If you can listen to music and take it apart, and more importantly, have at least some opinion on what sounds bad, you can make it. Its only a matter of time, and tools.

if i were to own only a few essential vst's what would you all recommend

Xfer OTT and Sausage Fattener

:^)

using vsts hahahha what a fuckin pleb

Fabfilter Pro Q 2, Kontakt, Presswerk, generally anything else u-he has made. I like the waves plugins as well, but you can live without those.

I was gifted one of these. Now I won't complain, it was free...but I cannot make it sound good. At all

I'm sure some of you own this thing. How do you make it sound decent?

Maybe it sounds alright when its heavily distorted. If it has any integrity as an analog drum machine, it should at least make some cool harmonics when you distort or overdrive it.

It does kinda suck dick though, based on what I've heard from it. Still. Even if it sucks on its own, you may find effects that make the most of it.

you don't
createdigitalmusic.com/2014/11/akai-rhythm-wolf-review-analog-doesnt-always-mean-better/

ive used akai timberwolf and i thought it sucked too

stay away from cheap shit like this imo

If you have low end/plosives/harshness in a vocal that you're just going to cut, why would you want it to trigger your compressor?

Typically the chain goes Subtractive EQ -> Compressor -> Additive EQ (boosting)

I agree with what you have said, but I would shy away from saying its a 'rule' or anything. There are some reasons we can come up with either method.

Its worth noting that a lot of compressors have optional lowcuts that ONLY work on the incoming signal that triggers the compression- 'what the compressor hears'. The reasoning behind this is clear if you look at the waveform of a drum beat, and a drum beat with a subbass line in it. Compressors react to that volume / amplitude curve over time, and a big fat bassline is going to inflate the overall waveform significantly, causing the compressor to overreact and hit the threshold way too easily- often in undesirable ways. But turn up that highpass / lowcut that only effects the signal the compressor 'hears' and you now it grabs the peaks of the drums instead.

Not exactly the same thing you were talking about, but worth noting.

Trying to stray away from hiphop beats since I feel like it's making my progress stagnate.

Here's where I ended up.

clyp.it/1wjwuwcn