Holy shit I didn't realize the backlash was this huge

Holy shit I didn't realize the backlash was this huge

a massively hyped comeback single by a canonized group featuring two of RYM's favorite rappers and it has a 3.26 within 6 hours of being released when every release gets massively inflated ratings initially? RIP the avalanches legacy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SjfspM5sDIA
youtube.com/watch?v=iLYB9pvww2M
youtube.com/watch?v=j95HbhTl60k
youtube.com/watch?v=_m2zGncgLjw
youtube.com/watch?v=UbQgXeY_zi4
youtube.com/watch?v=whScLb0aAiM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

3.26 isn't bad though
>every release gets massively inflated ratings initially
fair enough

for comparison, Radiohead's Daydreaming currently has a 3.94 and that's after a -month-

>3.26
>backlash
really not that bad, it's just not a top track i think everyone can agree on that, it's still good desu

also,
>electro swing
holy hell Sup Forums really fucked that shit up

it's just a hip hop track with a polka beat and calypso samples. alternative hip hop if you have to label it

>electro swing
Its not fucking electro swing

Yes it is, just because theyre mu core doesnt mean they are now autists

>Plunderphonics
Just because the first album was Plunderphonics doesn't mean this is. Can anyway explain to me what makes this more Plunderphonics than any other Hip-Hop song?

it definitely is

like caravan palace

artist association, rym's guilty of it heavily
they labelled the bends as "art rock" just like they did for kid a, none of which have any indicative qualities belonging to that (pointlessly named) genre

Anything below 3.5 is not really good though and anything below 3.3 is quite bad

fuck they really messed up everything

RYM score is about as good an indicator of quality as amazon user reviews

Since I Left You is my favourite album of all time, so I was hyped as fuck for this comeback. I feel a physical lump of sadness in my chest from how painfully mediocre their new tunes are.

Perhaps it'll grow on me, but I doubt it. It's just so tacky, especially the vocals.

3/5 is an accurate rating.

>it's not electro-swing, it just happens to sound exactly like it

If you believe in average scores, that is

Exactly. People that saying that this isn't electroswing are in denial. I heard the electroswing comparisons before I listened, and also some dissenters to that, so I was doubtful. But the second that sample kicked in I just cringed. I'm glad I don't have any emotional connection to The Avalanches, because I would definitely be really disappointed right now

completely depends on the genre

rym is notorious for underrating everything besides rock

Hello, Pitchfork

Whoever posted on the video that it sounds like Fatboy Slim is 200% accurate.

This a fucking travesty.

>Since I Left You is my favourite album of all time
The album is decent, but holy shit you need to listen to more music.

this is a stupid argument

there's a difference between not listening to a lot of music and calling SILY your favorite album and listening to a lot of music and still loving it. sure, the former is much more common, but it's not like it's unheard of for someone to love something popular even if theyve heard a lot of music

youtube.com/watch?v=SjfspM5sDIA

F I F T E E N
Y E A R S

But Fatboy Slim is good

Fatboy slim>the memevalanches

JUST

not in his later years

+1

cringe

I'm afraid to listen to it. Although, none of the songs on SILY really stand out on their own as much as they do in unison. Personally, I think Frontier Psychiatrist is the low point of the album.

>this damage control

RYM ratings are the most accurate ones on the internet

It's really kinda bad. DOOM is a guy who can add so much to a track, just look what Gorillaz did with him... In here he is just... there. Danny Brown is annoying as usual. idk.

>electro swing
haha the fucking retardation.
I'm fucking done with RYM.

HOLY SHIT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I see it like this.
>below 3.20 = bad
> 3.20 - 3.30 = average
> 3.30 - 3.40 = above average
> 3.50 - 3.60 = good

Okay so we are doing this on purpose now

This. The average score of the song should be hidden for a certain amount of time.

Fair

how was this made by the same people who made Since I Left You

On a 5 point scale, average should be 2.5

it isn't, though. the median of rym ratings is something around 3.5

This is a good idea

Doom saved the track.

Danny Brown has one of the most annoying voices I've ever fucking heard.

Not even a real Avalanches fan but anyone who's denying that this was pretty good is wrong

on this board: overreactions

This is not electroswing, the fuck is wrong with you, Sup Forums?

I would lying if I said that I wouldn't want the entire track to be like 3:14 - 3:36, but fucking hell I also disliked Radio and Frontier Psychiatrist on SILY at first, and usually skipped them at first. Today I love them along with rest of the album.

I would bet money with any of you shitters that the rest of Wildflower will but nothing like this.

I am a real avalanches fan and anyone who think's this isn't good went in for the cherry and expected it to taste like chocolate.

What did they mean by this?

s u c k s

94% of they think it's good.

The chorus sounds exactly like Squirrel Nut Zippers' Hell

youtube.com/watch?v=iLYB9pvww2M

it is electroswing, though
prove me wrong

looking forward to getting really into something that mu hates. trolling grimes haters was getting a little old

Electroswing: youtube.com/watch?v=j95HbhTl60k

Not electroswing: youtube.com/watch?v=_m2zGncgLjw

Guess which one Frankie Sinatra shares the same genre with.

I really really hate the video.
song is ok?

On RYM, since you can rate things 5 stars but not 0, the average -should be- 2.75. that is, there are 10 ratings possible, including 0.5 and 5.0. The middle two are 2.5 and 3.0.

The majority of people tend to rarely if ever use the bottom 3 or 4 ratings however.

What the fuck are you talking about

this whole electroswing debacle just proves /mu's/ close-mindedness over stupid shit. If you write off an entire genre then you aren't really a fan of music. That being said, the song was alright.

youtube.com/watch?v=UbQgXeY_zi4

I guess this must not be electroswing then

>electro swing

should be a 2.26 desu

>I'm glad I don't have any emotional connection to The Avalanches, because I would definitely be really disappointed right now

my feelings exactly

Frankie Sinatra has way more proeminent brass band sounds than that Gramatik song. the copy on the itunes release page goes deeper: it's calypso/klazmer influenced track. it's not hip-hop, lad

it literally is though. keep denying it.

the first track is way more similar to frankie sinatra. confirmed electroswing

this tbqhfam

It literally isn't though. Listen to electro swing. Electro swing has EDM influence, and this has none.

lol im guessing you dont listen to anything besides rock?

Bait.

Never did I say it was hip-hop, buddy. Also, it doesn't have to have the same instrumentation as anything Gramatik uses. It's just clearly not Electroswing.

If you sincerely can't here how that song you posted has swing to it, and Frankie doesn't, I can't help you.

Danse Manatee has a 2.4 and it's one of the best pieces of noise pop ever

Avant teens need to shut the fuck up and go back to tumblr

>Never did I say it was hip-hop, buddy. Also, it doesn't have to have the same instrumentation as anything Gramatik uses. It's just clearly not Electroswing.
what's it, then?

i think he's saying that anything below 3.5 is not good *by rym standards*. and that makes sense since 3.5 is the median score

I think you're talking about the "swing" part of Electroswing where everyone else isn't. So you would call it a necessity to the genre that 8th notes are swung, right? What other major/minor differences would you argue

bros...

not true, btw

none of the critics like Pet Sounds when it came out either

Downtempo Hip-hop :^)

it's almost like they were always a shitty pop group tailor made for shitty "summer music cd" infomercials, and the autist teens circlejerking them online were only doing so because of an unconscious feeling that they were "supposed to" like it, and without the context of the time when they were initially active said autists cannot find in their new (also bad) music what the reviewers they have parroted did in SILY.

Average: 3.63
Weighted Average: 3.57

Film Average: 3.21
Weighted film average: 3.22

sharifi said:

Weighted distribution for music:

0.5: 1.02%
1.0: 1.44%
1.5: 1.71%
2.0: 3.99%
2.5: 6.69%
3.0: 15.61%
3.5: 22.39%
4.0: 26.47%
4.5: 13.08%
5.0: 7.55%

Weighted distribution for film:

0.5: 2.77%
1.0: 3.80%
1.5: 4.29%
2.0: 7.71%
2.5: 10.09%
3.0: 17.61%
3.5: 19.17%
4.0: 19.46%
4.5: 9.16%
5.0: 5.93%

you just said it isn't hip-hop. are you retarded?

if everyone in this thread died in front of me I wouldn't blink

it was always tacky.

I said I never said it was hip-hop. Now I have.

it's not hip-hop

>It's electroswing, but without the swing!!!
k.

No, it's downtempo hip-hop.

Frankie Sinatra definitely sucks but I'm still 10/10 hype for Wildflower, SILY is one of my favorite albums and I just remember countless threads where we thought we'd never hear the follow-up, the follow-up is in a month and I'm hype as shit it's just a little concerning that the new single is as bad as it is

user speaks the truth

not a genre

>two of RYM's favorite rappers
>Danny Brown
?

You could call it trip-hop, you could call downtempo hip-hop.

youtube.com/watch?v=whScLb0aAiM

This is also downtempo hip-hop. Notice some similar?

the autism in this thread is incredible

meant for

lol dude, by calling it downtempo hip-hop or whatever you're totally dismissing the clear caribbean/calypso influences to the sound. it's not fucking downtempo. it's way closer to electroswing than whatever hip-hop subgenre you're trying to tie it to, though

post yfw there are people in this thread right now that will unironically listen to and enjoy captain beefheart and mr bungle but will dismiss the new avalanches as >le wacky reddit music

It literally isn't though. You might as well call Pink Floyd's The Wall a Metal album, since it has heavy and distorted guitars.

calypso isn't swing dipshit

lmfao

ITT: nostalgia goggles

>being nostalgic about a song that came out less than a fucking day ago or so
IF YOU REMEMBER WHEN FRANKIE SINATRA WAS RELEASED, YOU'RE FRIDAY WAS AWESOME!

I doubt every track is going to be some gypsy melody like this. I think its mostly the progression that ruins it for me. the rapping doesn't really fit their sound either I dont think

Reminder that RYM cannot into electronic of any form