Punk

What band got you into punk and what was the first punk band you liked?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ofoX2YsSJi0
youtube.com/watch?v=JsK8fHPjav0
youtube.com/watch?v=6AO9-HWiYT4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

green day

ive yet to hear anyone better in 'punk'
what a horrendous genre

Green day is about as far from punk as you can get. If your whining about the lack of technical ability go listen to nomeansno's album wrong

Bad Brains.
I heard Banned in DC in some Tony Hawk game or something, and thought it was awesome

no, if it doesn't have melodies, it's just 'raw' garbage. green day is more interesting as pop music than any band is as punk music. black flag, minor threat, bad brains, all of it is absolute shite for 16 year olds and man children

go listen to post punk instead

The Sex Pistols were the first punk band I got into. Nowadays I mainly listen to stuff like post-punk but I'll always have a soft spot for first wave punk rock.
What horrible taste. There are countless punk bands that are better than that middle school

>middle school
trash.

Hüsker Dü, The Replacements, Buzzcocks, The Damned, The Stooges, the list goes on and on and on.
There's tons of melodic punk. Green Day is shite for 12 year olds.

ITT: People who don't recognize the genius of American Idiot as a deconstruction of the punk genre both lyrically and musically. "It's trash because teens liked it!" nope.jpg

Bullshit, it's pretentious rock opera trash and the core message of the album is "FUCK BUSH!"

i don't remember. IIRC I got into Descendents, Misfits, Agent Orange, and a bunch of other shit around the sane time from a variety of sources

current favs are NASA Space Universe, Jeromes Dream, Iceage, Wipers, and Mayyors.

Fear
Everybody needs to believe in something, i believe i'll have another beer and such

>punk
>no melodies
>post-punk
>melodies
lol

ITT: People who have deluded themselves into thinking American Idiot is genius because they loved it when they were in high school.

Ramones, i listened to their all their albums on daily basis when i was a teen.
Also whatever was on Tony Hawk games.

my mum showed me black flag back in middle school, so they were my first.

Only a few songs are remotely political
Yes, it's a concept album but the point is it takes a stereotypical dumbass rebellious teenager and shows how fucking stupid he is. it points out the stupidity of the subculture while simultaneously marketing to it.

Nirvana got me into it

DK were my first favourites, saw NOFX and Lagwagon last summer so good especially because I live somewhere with literally 1 good show a year.

>says raw music is shit
>recommends post-punk
You aren't making any sense, senpai. Your average post-punk album is less melodic than your average punk rock album.

Heard Ramones on THPS3

Descendents
Used to play Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 all the time as a kid and it had "I Like Food" in the soundtrack and It was my favorite song ever back then

I had a roommate that said he was really into punk. The singers in his music sounded like they were out of highschool musical. Then it turned out he only liked emo and "hated" pop punk.

had a phase where i listened to nothing but london calling and NMTBITSP when i was like 14

One time I spunked in a girl's butt and another girl ate it out.

I can assure you there are plenty if good shows where you are, you just don't know about modern punk/DIY culture

dead kennedys

I had a phase where I listened to nothing but the Sex Pistols, Ramones and The Clash.

Were the girls hot? Do you have pics?

No / No

I had a phase where I was really patrician, now I only listen to [your favorite bands].

>a deconstruction of the punk genre both lyrically and musically
Some of the songs are generic pop punk and some songs have more instrumentation than your average pop punk song. If you seriously think that's a "deconstruction" of punk rock then you're retarded.

Damn...

Punk is the only type of music edgier than metal :(

But black metal is edgier than any form of punk rock. I don't think any punk musicians have ever killed people or burned down churches.
>:(
Why are you frowning?

The singer from gang killed his girlfriend and sid vicious killed his girlfriend

first punk band i got heavily into was from ashes rise
but i think what got me into punk was probably green day

who /ceremony/ here?

>The singer from gang killed his girlfriend
Who?
>sid vicious killed his girlfriend
The jury is out on that, senpai. There is a ton of speculation that Nancy was killed by some drug dealer.

all of those bands are bad

Proving Ground, I remember the same thing happened to me. I played that game a ton and the song pumped me up

Sammy town from fang. Kurt Cobain was a fan of fang

I was talking conceptually and lyrically but anyway,
There are maybe two "pop punk" songs on there, the rest is alt rock or actual punk (American Idiot is more of a punk song than anything the Ramones did)

not sure why Green Day is always lumped with actual trash like blink, Sum 41, and Good Charlotte, they're way closer to "real" punk and The Who

you still have to admit though, Vicious was a total cunt

Your delusional. The ramones were punk. And who in the fuck calls the who punk?

>American Idiot is more of a punk song than anything the Ramones did
youtube.com/watch?v=ofoX2YsSJi0

He was a dumb cunt but I don't think he was a murderous one. He was just a drugged up idiot who jumped on the punk bandwagon because he wanted attention.

Ya he's was an attention whore

>Nirvana got me into it
Yeah this.

Black Flag - Nervous Breakdown EP

Honestly this should be anyone's intro to punk. The fact that the whole EP was just five minutes and how to the point it was really stuck with me.

And for fucks sake stop feeding the Green Day guy. He's pulled this shit before. You guys end up looking new and retarded when you fall for that shit.

That's pretty common. Nirvana is choice

>actual punk
Bull fucking shit, every song on American Idiot is overly polished rubbish.
>American Idiot is more of a punk song than anything the Ramones did
The Ramones always had a pop sensibility but their early material was pretty raw.

God that ep is fucking great.

Was introduced to the genre through Green Day, but later on when my taste got less shit, I really got into punk through Black Flag and Misfits.

who cares the sex pistols blow ass

WAVVES

never said they didn't, ya cheeky cunt

kek holy shit m8, I hope you don't actually vocalize these opinions IRL with people around to hear you

The Sex Pistols

You tellin' me The Who weren't a punk band? You don't know what the fuck punk is. Even The Sex Pistols covered Substitute.

That doesn't mean they were a fucking punk band. Proto punk at best

Nah. Let's face it, The Who were punk as fuck.

GUILTY OF BEING WHITE

First punk band I really got into was the casualties, but since then I've drifted into more Oi and hardcore stuff, my favorite band as of now has to be Bound for Glory.

Red Hot Chili Peppers played a Fugazi song at their Live at Slane Castle show, so i checked them out and got really into Fugazi
you can imagine my disappointment when i started listening to any other punk. i started with the best

more like what movie got you into punk
the answer is this movie
youtube.com/watch?v=JsK8fHPjav0

>their early material was pretty raw
you mean their debut album or shit like this youtube.com/watch?v=6AO9-HWiYT4

Void

listen to this you fag

Fucked Up and Titus Andronicus are some more recent faves. I used to be really into riot grrrl. Pic related is good too, if you can handle feminist punk.

probably da quincy punx

That album is underapreciated. It's fucking great

what's the deal with these guys? was the only official recording they ever did that split with faith?

yeah more or less, and then some stuff got released later from old recordings

underapreciated? it's a great album and every time i see anyone talk about it it's always in a positive light

Ya other than an ep

It's not as popular as like the dead kennedys or black flag and it should be

that's a bummer. they fucking slayed on that split. listening to the comp you posted, but i'm not digging it nearly as much. i can tell it was recorded before they grew into their full potential

Sex Pistols- Anarchy in the UK on Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4, I was in the 4th or 5th grade, sparked my interest in music desu

>who /ceremony/ here?
i feel you senpai. i live in rohnert park and that's actually how i found out about them. it's not like they're doing anything new or exciting, but they're really good at emulating the hardcore and post-punk sound

The Clash.

I still love them, and would say they are the only truly great band to emerge from a punk background. They became great though because they embraced other genres starting from London Calling. As good as their debut was, if they had remained stuck in that same sound forever they wouldn't have had half the legacy they now have, and we would be without some superb albums.

Punk "purists" will probably contest that they are a punk band, but I maintain that they always were. I find message and attitude to be more important than conforming to the so-called "punk sound". Isn't punk meant to be a rejection of conformity? The Clash probably lost touch of their punk attitude with Combat Rock's commercial success and when they started playing stadiums, but that is what led to their collapse and eventual breakup. They quit before they could sell out, so to speak. Or at least Strummer did.

not really. it, like most of the socal shit in a similar vein, has aged insanely poorly. it's really childish (in no endearing manner) and boring.

Millions of Dead Cops.

Has anyone watched Into The Night, with Henry Rollins?

Because that guy has fucking asperger's.

the unreleased LP was recorded after the split and sucks ass.

they were a kinda decent powerviolence band at first but their garage rock and joy division albums suck

listen to more music you autist