/prod/

>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
Still needs work

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!

No fucking soundclouds, use clyp.it
Post tracks, express opinions, show templates, share stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/pjsrqkbx
clyp.it/52eumxxf
youtube.com/watch?v=TUFcCU8BD_Y
clyp.it/khtorzt3
clyp.it/k1adwvoc
soundcloud.com/jehmahk/fortheyouth
clyp.it/n3nnavey
clyp.it/ei5bq2qs
clyp.it/bnmhdmbc
clyp.it/aky3dzgr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm about to download ableton and im really only using it to create drum loops.

Before i do it, is there a program better suited for this?

I'm an ableton user and I'd say fruity loops would be easier to work with drump loops bc of the piano roll.

>no piano roll in ableton

You wouldn't be using the piano roll if you're using loops.

FL Studio is still probably better for loops though. I've used both.

clyp.it/pjsrqkbx
do the drums sound like shit?

there is but its not as easy to use.....
its a lot easier to load samples into floops piano roll, setting up the length, do the sequencing etc. its p. much a step sequencer built in

it takes a lot more time in ableton to do what you can do in floop's piano roll. having said that, Ableton's sampling and slicing is superior to floops so if you are not sequencing your drums but sampling them, then go w/ ableton

I'm just going to have to flat out disagree with you
I think the FL piano roll is a dismal tool to work with
there's not a single reason for that user not to use ableton

it's excellent to lazily and quickly throw an idea/beat together
yeah you can* do the same thing with ableton's drumracks, but not as easy or quickly imho
literally all you need to do in floops is to click in the steps
ableton's drumrack is nowehere near as intuitive or easy, but it is more flexible

>there's not a single reason for that user not to use ableton

there it is, is called "workflow". both DAWs have diff workflows that suit diff people.

because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's bad. Sorry you god frustrated and went back to what you knew(or probably never even used it at all)

It's untrue that either is better than the other, it's almost all about familiarity. It's untrue that you drop samples into the piano roll in fl studio.

Both of you are retarded for talking about shit you don't know and being fanboys. You're literally the cancer of these threads.

you don't "drop" samples, you load them in the track

but keep arguing semantics and feeling superior

wait you just pointed on I used drop instead of load
and i'm arguing semantics? you literally got butthurt over paraphrasing

to

>" It's untrue that you drop samples into the piano roll in fl studio."
>HURR DURR HE DIDN'T SPECIFICALLY SAID YOU LOAD THE SAMPLE INTO THE TRACK OMGZ HE NEVER USED FLOOPS BEFORE

listen, this isn't about what DAW is superior. I know that they are different DAWs that fit different workflows. I started in FLoops and moved onto Ableton

but saying that one DAW **MIGHT** be better than the other in a specific instance is not saying " either is better than the other". Saying that Ableton is as easy to use as FLoops when it comes to grid/sequence pattern stuff as Ableton is a fucking lie. There is a reason (other than piracy) that most niggers start laying their hippity hops on FLoops: you open the program, there are literally KICK SNARE HATS buttons, and a step sequencer already neatly there, just waiting for you to lay your lame beats into it.

Yes, you COULD do the same in Ableton, but it will require you to trigger the sample, to load the sequence separatedly into a drumrack, to learn how to use the drumrack and so on. So no, in that specific instance, they are not the same

don't believe me? google "piano roll ableton" and watch all the people whining about the lack of a simple "floops style piano roll" in ableton. theres even a few "floops" style piano racks you can download that kinda emulate the one in floops, but still, not as "easy" to use

Is there a synth that sounds like OP-X pro II but has functionality closer to Sylenth1, Spire or Serum?

I really like how chords sound on OP-X

>floops
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

can i get some feedback pls

what the fuck is dr.drum software?

Anybody see the new generation of Scarlett Interfaces?

let's talk about how fucking bad the new Avalanches sound. like really I can't fucking believe it

DAW newfag here, what exactly is kontakt and how do i use it? i have used ableton before for recording but i am completely clueless about samplng.

Kontakt is a VST, you get sample packs for use with Kontakt and import them, then you get to use the notes that instrument has pre-recorded samples for.

someone pls

why do you think they sound like shit desperate lil nigga?

They sound nice to me in terms of compression/volume, eq wise they might be a bit "boxy" with too much low mids. I'd try to cut around 300 hz or wherever it sounds most boxy. Just do the old boost and sweep trick and then cut where you get that cardboard box sound, like you're hitting a cardboard box with a drum stick. You know what I'm saying?

How make solo piano sound good?
clyp.it/52eumxxf

youtube.com/watch?v=TUFcCU8BD_Y

How would one go on about obtaining a copy of the new ZGame editor visualizer 2?

Included in fl studio 12.3.4 Still waiting for the official release of 12.3

my music sounds like shit. what do?

Produce more and more and you will eventually get there

Is there a tutorial on how to use the Nova3 generative sequencer?

first time trying psytrance

clyp.it/khtorzt3

how do i into dramatic arc for music
im almost there in terms of sound and drums but i don't know how the fuck to arrange stuff in a way that makes sense, usually i just use drops and build up until massive drop and then come back full force

Best program to make mixes?

>scarlett

oh god make it stop
i don't understand how those things got popular wtf

it's more of a sample library player (drum kits, pianos, sampled synthesizers strings etc)

it's pretty awesome but desu if you don't know what you're doing already it's not going to do you that good.. the sounds are decent already but you're not going to be able to make them sound great

clyp.it/k1adwvoc

... to mix a song?

any daw really

The other guy is right, its a sampler that happens to have some of the best 3rd party sampler libraries today. From strings, to organs, to big ass Taiko drums, to bass guitars or random percussion and sound designey things- chances are there will be a decent kontakt library that a company has released.

Another thing that's worth noting, even if there were no dope libraries for it, and you just had to use random wav files you made or found in it, it would still be worth it. 'Under the hood'- that is, behind the fancy GUIs and front ends for all the libraries, there is an incredibly robust sampler that has great modulation capability (ability to control filters, and other parameters in a predefined way). The tools such as envelopes, LFOs, filters (incredible selection), saturation, EQ, timestretching, sample chopping and looping, all give you immense power over manipulating sounds to create your own sampler instruments.

Some folks don't take advantage of this, and instead use it for the commercial sound libraries, but don't ignore it.

To make a mix of a bunch of songs like this:
soundcloud.com/jehmahk/fortheyouth

every song have different mixes, also that persons mix is quite bad

Oh ok. So which programs would you recommend to download? I want make a mix like that but better of course with clean transistions, most importantly.

Any DAW lol

Honestly this guy probably did this on his laptop using Traktor or something similar, which is more traditional DJ software. You should learn a bit about the fundamentals of DJing first, how to cue, considerations on when to trade the bass of one song to another, that sort of thing.

Some people prefer to actually use a DAW to make their 'perfectly micromanaged mix', but really this may be overkill.

I think some of us got confused and thought you were implying "Mix" as in mixing the channels of a single song, Eqing and such. Producer stuff. But now its clear that you mean DJ mix.

So yeah, just check out some popular DJ software, watch some tutorials. They have removed a lot of the things that made mixing more challenging back in the vinyl days, like beatmatching and quickly cueing and rewinding (though it never was brain surgery anyway). Now Traktor can just auto beat match every song with the next, and give you perfect cueing and everyhting like that, freeing up your hands to do fancy things with EQ and filters.

I also meant to add that a good DJ will also consider the key of one song and the next- picking a sequence of songs that will actually flow together in a musical way. In other words, if the tail of one song is being mixed into the next, having the notes be in the wrong key vs the other will just sound fucked up. One more consideration that will help you make better DJ mixes. Modern DJ software contains tools that will tell you the keys of songs and let you sort them and filter them.

What does Sup Forums think of Maschine?

yes definitely. dont listen to the guy that says fruity loops. ableton will be plenty fine to get things up and running quickly and has the performance factor so you could easily transition into live performance if you felt like it. good luck.

Fom the looks of it, your local LSD vendor.

iama trap edm producer who use fruity studio with some pro stuff on the back burner

ama me anything

What's a good microphone for $100 budget range?

what are you using it for?

sm57 (duh) if you've got a decent interface or preamp; i've got an e609 that's pretty decent for a brighter tone and doesn't need much gain.

i saw something about ni slowing down support? idk that much about it but the main benefit seems to be how it integrates with your setup

the ama is over.
here is wisdom:

learn the snail kick trick.

once you understand what that means then you made it.

tell me how senpai

>ama me anything
can you kill yourself?

woosh xD

I don't get why people don't use both for their specialties

clyp.it/n3nnavey
how weak and phased are these drums?
also i'm using earbuds so how does the mix sound in general?

its the exact same thing, why bring up semantics?

What sort of theory would be useful for EDM?

a theory on how to make a better genre

lol is this serious

>if you are not sequencing your drums
>setting up the length, do the sequencing

... do you not use drum rack?

your genre is shite
music theory? idk what else you could mean

learn how chords fit into a scale... and you know. everything. learn to program synths and samplers..?

Someone suggest me good solo chamber instruments. I'm using EWQL Orchestra for a chamber piece and it sounds like fucking ass. Too much fucking reverb.

I meant the blanket term for normie electronic music

alright you faggots, rate my shit
clyp.it/ei5bq2qs
clyp.it/bnmhdmbc
clyp.it/aky3dzgr

... maybe learn a bit about electronic genres too then

......oh god he was serious......

I'm gunna use it for rapping

first track is good apart from the mixing being a bit off

i don't like how the vocal track cuts in and out in the second track but it's nice other than that

third track is cool, but the snare sounds a little weak and the kick is mixed too high

chill stuff user

I know what I want to specifically (cloud rap) fucking make its just if there was any theory that would be useful for all genres

Unless you really just are "go with what sounds gud bruh :^^^)" heathens who can't find middle c on a grand staff

y i always get ignored

yeah i'm using headphones i found on the train i am quite poor. thanks for listening

so why did you say you wanted to make EDM? don't get rude with us, I assure you that you are coming off as a retard, not the other way around.

>only major scales sound good
>only use major scales

Is there anything wrong with this? I mix in minors chords sometimes but whenever I venture out it sounds like some kind of gimmicky foreign or gloomy

no, not really. what do you think?

Yall were memeing too hard

Let's start over with a more specifically worded question:

Hello /prod/, I am an anonymous poster with some background in music theory and I want to make a cloud rap beat. That is beside the point.
I was wondering if there was any more theory to learn before dipping my toes in the GENERAL GENRE OF ELECTRONIC MUSIC that would prove useful to learn.

you do know the large majority of pop/mainstream music is in a minor scale right?

you're still coming off as rude and retard. how are we supposed to know what sort of theory you know? fuck off faggot. 'is there any more theory to learn'? what do you think

>the GENERAL GENRE OF ELECTRONIC MUSIC

electronic music isn't a genre.

>Electronic music is music that employs electronic musical instruments and electronic music technology in its production, an electronic musician being a musician who composes and/or performs such music.

Not to be confused, of course, with EDM.

Whats the best first midi keyboard from 100-150$?

Does anyone have any tips on how to make a synth sound fuzzy but not in a farty sawtooth kind of way? cutting the higher frequencies make it loose the buzz but boosting them makes it sound like some fucking hairdressing clippers

should i just stick with a guitar?

Why use Kontakt over Sampler/Simpler?

akai mini keyboard is like 99 dollars and has pads and knobs. super portable. great first keyboard for PRODUCING but not if you want a full range for like real piano playing.

I mostly mean outside of minor and major

well that isn't what you fucking said

Should I get an audio interface even if I don't really plan on recording at the moment?

if you want

>only major scales sound good
bleb

sorry

dammit /prod/, stop recommending this thing

you can get a used midi keyboard that has double the keys for the same amount of money.

Let me be more specific

Two semesters in college studying music theory in the style of Bach and music composition for the grand piano because I needed the electives. In my music theory class I learned the theory behind scales chords and tonality in general as defined by the classical composer Bach. In my composition class I learned the basic techniques of composition for the grand piano and basic forms such as the sonata form.

I was wondering if there were any other types of theory (such as JAZZ theory) that would be useful for production of "Electronic Music" or if my basic knowledge of tonality as set by JS Bach is enough to produce most forms (genres) of "electronic" "music" or if you shouldn't really care about theory because "bruh if it sounds good it's good :^)"

I butchered the jargon you guys use out of laziness and I'm sorry I tickled your autism.

have you looked into music theory?

Yes

it depends on the genre desu

who are you replying to?

>Two semesters in college studying music theory in the style of Bach

This nigga gonna write some sick contrapuntal electronic dance music. Call yourself DJ Bach and name your album "Can't Haendel Me". Name your shit baroquestep or some shit like that.

I like the mood of your tracks but you can't mix for shit

drums too loud

pic related

I would forget about theory and focus on creating stuff at your point

i'm the first guy you replied to. i'm extremely lazy. is there something easy i can do about the mixing?

i don't want to do the research myself. it's your job to tell me. thanks!

In each genre of electronic music, there are a number of 'signature sounds' that are married to the genre, and often, they carry a history of development and ecolution from each successive batch of producers. I would consider this to be a branch of music theory, that is unique to electronic music. It does often become hand wavvy, and is not as rigorous as classical theory.

An example would be the evolution of reese basslines in drum n bass. From simple beginnings, simple detuned saw waves, with filtering and chorus, these sounds have undergone a technical evolution. Comparing the early jungle tunes with reeses, the next milestone might be the z plane filtering and resampling techniques used on reese bass in ed rush & optical's "wormhole ep". Then over a decade later, you have the current incarnation in the form of mefjus, Noisia, and the like. Taking this basic concept and building on it. Exploring the degrees of freedom of this particular sound, to the point where it is almodt unrecognizable as such.

Every genre has many similar stories, and techniques traded and shared and built upon. Wether its supersaws or 808s. But you won't find these in a book anywhere. Rather, the knowledge is passed down between producers and in forums like this one. And constantly changing.