Which album(s) proves this isn't all Zappa has to offer

Which album(s) proves this isn't all Zappa has to offer.

Apostrophe
Zappa in New York
Lather
Sheik Yerbouti
Just Another Band From L.A.

Just for starters

second post best post

All those albums are shit save for Apostrophe.
OP, if you're interested in more like Hot Rats, Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo are both great. His 60s stuff is great as well. Uncle Meat is my favorite, but Freak Out!, Absolutely Free, and We're Only In It For The Money.

His 70s stuff takes a bit of a dive in quality after that, but Over-Nite Sensation, Apostrophe, and Roxy & Elsewhere (live album) are all pretty great.

His 80s synclavier stuff is good, but gets old fast. Listen to Jazz From Hell for a taster.

Finally, give the classical/orchestral music he did before he died a try. The Yellow Shark is a standout.

For an overall taste:
1. Waka/Jawaka and, if you like it jazzier, The Grand Wazoo
2. WOIIFTM is the most accessible of his 60s music and also among the best
3. Apostrophe
4. The Yellow Shark

meant to say those 60s albums are all fantastic

>Zappa In New York
>Lather
>Sheik Yerbouti
>Shit
Why do you say that?

To me, those albums kinda represent him "selling out." They could be alright, but absolutely pale in comparison to some of his better music. Sheik Yerbouti especially has this sort of bland 70s rock feel I try to stay away from. Bobby Brown is great, though.

I don't think I'd ever associate Lather with "selling out" personally, especially since the label didn't even let him release it.

You are what you is.

I hardly call releasing a song like "Jewish Princess" selling out. It made the ADL butthurt

Waka/Jawaka
Uncle Meat
We're Only In It For The Money
Freak Out!
Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar
Yellow Shark
Apostrophe
Overnite Sensation
Joe's Garage
Boulez Conducts Zappa: The Perfect Stranger
more

my man

This, I can't fucking believe it took 1 (ONE) HOUR for someone to say Joes garage

Yeah, but his later humor comes from cynical contempt for his audience's low-brow taste, so it is like selling out your principles, even in the name of cheap vulgarity.

The best Zappa albums in no particular order are:
Uncle Meat
Hot Rats
Freak Out!
Bongo Fury
We're only in it for the money
Joes garage

You only truely the like zappa once you're older and you go 'motherfucker did all of it.'. As opposed to, when you're young, you think he's just a ""tryhard','.

I'm listening to this right now and I don't really get it, it's just guitar wankery with no real substance

you're retarded

Okay, now it's sax wankery too, mind explaining what i'm missing?

But it's fun guitar wankery. The Gumbo Variations is a blast.

The cheesy feel seems like its kind of the point in a lot of his music. He liked to take really typical, "poppy" chord progressions and melodies and exaggerate them to the point of parody. He did it a lot on "freak out", just look at "wowee zowee"or whatever its called.

It's improv, not wankery. Nothing fancy is going on, just some a band jamming over some good grooves.

Could somebody please explain to me what conceptual link "Peaches en Regalia" could possibly have with "It Must Be a Camel"? Is there anybody who honestly believes this isn't just a collection of re-recorded B-sides, placed in a random order with a hipster-friendly cover and a nonsensical name? That Frank Zappa's addled brains didn't simply run out of creativity around a year ago, and after the utter flop of We're Only In It for the Money he's now given up writing truly new music altogether?

The violin wankery is best.

He wanted to make an album of fun "film music," and if you think Money was not a flop.

why are you talking like frank zappa is a current artist? are you doing some serious memeing here

you really just dont know what improv is at all. how musically ignorant are you? have you heard more than 5 albums?

obviously i know what improv is, i listen to jazz, i just don't find this very interesting

using the word "wankery" and being serious about it already blew your cover as a pleb, just leave now man

So why call it wankery if you know what improv is?

alright, i'll let you guy enjoy it and accept that it's just not for me
sorry i used the word "wankery"

Fair enough, the other guy was wrong to call you a pleb. At least listen to Gumbo before you quit.

for one

Those stupid animated minions have ruined my enjoyment of this album.

Nah. You gotta learn the difference between jazzy soloing (portraying various emotions through various different techniques/styles of playing the instrument) vs wankery (pervert the ideas I just mentioned into something far more self-indulgent and pointless.) Granted I don't think Hot Rats has the best soloing in the world and thus is very overrated especially for the time period, I guess it's pretty good for being an entry level to getting into something more jazzy and maybe bluesy, too.

Absolutely Free
Weasles Ripped My Flesh
Grand Wazoo
Uncle Meat
Were Only In It For The Money
kek

So I'm not the only one who suffers