Any bands have a similar sound to of Montreal baring other E6 bands

Any bands have a similar sound to of Montreal baring other E6 bands.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6LzIoqUfOBI
youtube.com/watch?v=SEvLtTxakrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=h0TSUhOesd8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump for interest

What era of Montreal? If you're looking for twee shit (Cherry Peel up to Satanic Panic), there's plenty of it. Everything after that is a bit more unique though, especially the Georgie Trilogy.

Not OP, but my favorite oM albums is Paralytic Stalks. If you have anything similar there, I'd appreciate it

Dinosaur Feather, Alvin Band, Islands and Deerpeople are sort of close in sound

There's isn't much that's strikingly similar though

Yeah OP, a lot of his albums post satanic panic are pretty unique, especially skeletal lamping and paralytic stalks.
If anyone discovers an album close to either of these two they should definitely post it sometime.
If you want pop along this vein try Islands like the other user said and try fiery furnaces, not too similar but definitely similar in pop sensibility.

Paralytic stalks is babies first lawl so weird album. Go back to r indieheads

>mfw

Pillar Point

plebbiest thing I've seen on Sup Forums today

It's hard but for your pic related the albums that influenced were:
>Michael Jackson - Thriller
>Black dice in general
it's everything I know, I hope it helps

Along with the Fiery Furnaces, you might like Ariel Pink's later discography

This is pretty good, I can see the similarity

check out Sparks, they're very similar.
also Astro, Alvin Band, El Guincho, and you might like Everything Everything.

I don't know why, but I feel like Sufjan Stevens is kind of similar to of Montreal. Somewhat similar but unique sound, all the albums have a cohesive sound that is special to that album.

Forgot to say his closest album to of Montreal is Age of Adz.

This is probably the closest you'll get to the heavily electronic R&B shit.

This album has very strong elements of it at times

Don't wanna be that guy, but of Montreal is way more """""high brow"""""" than all those artists so I don't think the comparison holds. It's like comparing them to starfucker or something, the draw to oM isn't that it's good pop music, it's that they do crazy stuff and defy expectations while still having a foot in pop music.

Pillar Point opened for Kevin toward the beginning of his past tour.
Toward the end he had Surface Air Missive, the singer was incredibly awkward but the music was pretty nice.
The guitarist's sister had a baby during so he taped us screaming "push".

Fiery Furnaces, Age of Adz (Paralytic is directly influenced by it), and maybe Kishi Bashi.
Kishi Bashi is much more straightforward pop but he is one of the longest standing members of of Montreal.
His album 151a has more similarities to of Montreal and his EP Room for Dream has a song with Kevin singing background vocals.

>of Montreal
>more high brow than Sparks

Are you the same guy who complains that Alvin Band is too "immature" to sound like Animal Collective?

I wouldn't really call them high brow. I used to be a much bigger fan of them (It's Different For Girls is promising) but those bands are really just psych-pop with some experimental influence, much like of Montreal. Sparks is this high-energy psych pop, like oM, Alvin Band is psych-pop all created by one guy and only with his voice, and so is experimental. The other two are just straightforward psych pop.
I guess I could've helped OP more had I actually read the thread and saw what specific type of music he was looking for (I didn't realize he meant one specific era of the band)
but regardless I still think OP would dig those bands if he likes oM

100% seriously

Forgot about her, and I just listened to that album yesterday.
Monae is obviously featured on False Priest and these two albums definitely have a lot in common, recommend if you are into that style of pop.
If any fan hasn't heard the song "Make the Bus" on this album they should listen to it now.

youtube.com/watch?v=6LzIoqUfOBI

Kevin Barnes produced that pillar point album, so I'd guess it'd be pretty similar. Never ended up listening to it so idk if it's any good. But yeah I second Kishi Bashi if you like the violin from paralytic stalks and false priest.

I really just think alvin band is complete shit, so I'm not even really one to ask. At any rate, it's very possible to love oM and dislike him. As for the high brow comment, obviously I'm not being entirely serious with the term - and it's kind of a dumb term to begin with - but get to the point where you know all the lyrics to skeletal lamping or paralytic stalks or even lousy with sylvianbriar and it'll be pretty plain to see that Kevin has a lot more clout than basically anyone else in a comparable genre. There's a reason why nobody has ever given a good answer to the threads that pop up here asking for similar music to skeletal lamping.

Also I think it's different for girls is pretty rough for oM. The album looks like it could be good, but the song by itself isn't up to par with the old georgie fruit stuff. It'd be the weakest track on false priest or skeletal lamping if it were on one of those records.

I recently started to get more into of Montreal.
For the past few days I've went through The Early Four Track Recordings, The Gay Parade, Coquelicot, and Aldhils Arboretum a couple times each and they were all great. Kevin's vocals are unique, strong, and varied --much like the instrumentation-- and the theatrics are strange but entertaining.

Prior to all of this I had listened to Hissing Fauna and Aureate Gloom, both of which I really didn't care for. Maybe I'll be a bit more receptive to them now, though I feel like their newer releases lack something compared to their older works.

I won't disagree with you on that last point. Skeletal Lamping is best of Montreal. Sexually-charged Kevin is best Kevin.
also OP asked for Paralytic Stalks-sounding stuff. I'm sure that's what you meant tho.
I really liked Aureate Gloom, I think it's really underrated and probably my second favorite oM album behind Skeletal Lamping. I really disliked Lousy so i'm just glad about the direction the new album seems to be taking based on the single.

Hissing Fauna is a masterpiece in concept and content, you should really revisit it. Paralytic Stalks is also a favourite amongst a lot of people.

Yeah, never listened to Pillar Point either.
Didn't like the new single at first but it's growing on me.
It reminds me of a more straightforward hissing fauna and skeletal lamping.
I really miss how he would stitch all these song ideas into one, but I'm cautiously optimistic for this new album.

Going to start posting links to songs with similarities to oM.

youtube.com/watch?v=SEvLtTxakrQ
>Reminds me of something that could be on Sunlandic

youtube.com/watch?v=h0TSUhOesd8
>Kevin sings backup

I started with Cherry Peel and Satanic Panic years ago.
I afterwards listened to Hissing Fauna and Skeletal Lamping and HATED them.
After a good while I realized how much better of a songwriter he is with his newer stuff.
I think the reason he doesn't perform his older stuff is because he outgrew that simpler style of writing and because he isn't afraid of showing his true feelings as much.

As a long time fan, I never ended up liking aureate gloom. Hissing fauna is pretty classic though. The instrumentals aren't the highest fidelity but the songwriting is great and it's really quotable and immersive. Definitely give it another shot.

I just mentioned skeletal lamping because it seems to be the most obstinately unique oM album. Paralytic stalks is great too but there's more stuff out there similar to it I think. I like that kevin is leaving his vintage rock and improv stage too, though I didn't mind it all that much while it was around. Aureate gloom was the only thing that disappointed me, and that was because it seemed like the songwriting went to shit for half the album. There are some great moments, and empyrean abattoir is up there with of Montreal's best songs, but it was the first oM album in a long time that I thought had some completely shitty tracks on it. The lyrics and instrumentals both get so blunt and clumsy at times that when I first heard it I couldn't even believe kevin put it out. It seems like most people prefer it to lousy, but to me lousy was composed and deliberate all the way through where AG flies off the handle quite a bit.

>tfw seeing of Montreal for the first time in a tiny venue in a few weeks