/prod/ - Arca edition

>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
Still needs work

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!

No soundclouds, use clyp.it
Post tracks, express opinions, show templates, share stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/futurebeatproducers/comments/3n6bci/organic_signal_processing_or_how_do_i_sound_like/
youtube.com/watch?v=4e38S2Amvc0
clyp.it/lwb2xba4
clyp.it/2yjfc4lp
clyp.it/ghriajia
youtube.com/watch?v=fy-6Z40Yg-A
clyp.it/e5rlj4j2
clyp.it/jg5er5iw
clyp.it/a1yvm4oa
youtube.com/watch?v=iuJDhFRDx9M
clyp.it/4mqapu0n
clyp.it/tdjpgtbu
clyp.it/hndnnt12
youtube.com/watch?v=ytM9QPtUozs
youtube.com/watch?v=GnPH-K44ld8
clyp.it/hydfrv4s
youtube.com/watch?v=Y82jDHRrswc
clyp.it/21xszhgz
files.renoise.com/manual/Renoise_Redux_Effect_Commands.png
jamesclear.com/ira-glass-failure
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Picking up Renoise, reading the manual and digging it so far.

Drawing waveforms and adding effects like chorus and distortion actually sound like I want them to, unlike other DAWs I've tried in the past.

Any tips or things I should know or will I be good with just the manual?

how does he do it famabamalia?

I've been doing my best to dive as deep as possible into arca's boipussy and learn his tricks of the trade

reddit.com/r/futurebeatproducers/comments/3n6bci/organic_signal_processing_or_how_do_i_sound_like/

this points out some of the programs and methods that he uses

my laptop broke, buying a new one
Are SSDs worth it? or am i better of aiming for a hard drive because it has more space?
also should i try to get an i7 processor, or will a strong i5 do the trick?

youtube.com/watch?v=4e38S2Amvc0
>tfw you'll never reach the level of even his early shit

also I'd fuck him t b h

>sounds like what a musical interpretation of Worlds.com might sound like if done by a vaporwave-crazed field recording artist.
seriously fuck reddit

at least they have some people discussing production methods

production courses are fucking shit, why you´d pay to get some non-genre related douche explaining you what a reverb is before doing what you do at home, just in a class for very dumb and meaningless oneliner teen feedbacks. its just fucking stupid i cant believe i wasted money on this

>Are SSDs worth it?

Lol what? With the price of storage these days you have no reason not to get at least a 128 SSD. Actually no, you have no reason not to get a 256 SSD. I mean, a 3TB hard drive costs less than $100, what the fuck man?

I mean holy shit you really know nothing of tech, do you? And you aspire to be a producer? Is flash better than mechanic? Goddamit man, buy that SSD. For fuck's sake.

Get an i7 as well. Again, what the fuck man.

speaking of arca...i know he uses izotope iris for most of his synth programming. which i tried myself and is as hard as shit. is there an intuitive way to learn spectral synthesis?

gb2 Sup Forums

Ableton beginner here, how bad is this?clyp.it/lwb2xba4

clyp.it/2yjfc4lp
does the quincy jones organ sample sound awkward and forced?
also can someone with some monitors let me know how the mix sounds?

hes right though

that pic is cringe inducing

> early shit
> 2014
> arguably his best album

besides, don't focus on what other artists do. find the thing you're really good at & be the best at it.
man that sounds so fucking cliche now that i read it back but it really is true

agreed

this isn't even that good
why is everyone fanboying him so hard?

Arca sucks ass, idgi either

didn't you get the memo? it's more important to be a genderqueer new york ballroom scene fixture than it is to make good songs nowadays.

clyp.it/ghriajia

is it done family?

why do you have to be like this

yes.
how did you do that thing at the start?

what thing

everything in the firt 30 seconds

beep boop

Stretch 1 is better

youtube.com/watch?v=fy-6Z40Yg-A

How do I write lyrics? I have an okay understanding of creating melodies and song strucutre, but I have no lyrics.

fuck I love this song

clyp.it/e5rlj4j2

what do you lads think? Am I justice yet?

For lyrics you have to read and write. And not just lyrics, you have to read actual books. Poetry, you know. Check out William Blake (mind-forg'd manacles), T. S. Eliot (women come and go) and Emily Dickinson (a funeral in my head) for starters.

But most obviously, you have to learn your genre. Trance requires quite a different approach from country, for example. Learn the clichés and mannerisms.

Most importantly, write. And write constantly, every day.

daily reminder the "make sure two instruments aren't competing for frequencies" meme needs to die

anyone?

clyp.it/jg5er5iw

That's called mixing.

its a meme, instruments can be in the same frequency and work together, in fact its a core product of a lot of percussive elements.

niqqa when u post it's a good idea to make at least a little sense

I make perfect since but ok

lol too good

did you like my joke there? me too, but seriously, I make perfect sense.

u fucked up senpai
don't try to play it off like you meant to do that

Okay.

y must i beg?
i used to get feedback in an instant
what happened?

Over the years I've built a setup of 100% hardware (synths, samplers, drum machines, and mics for vocal/acoustic elements) because I wanted to avoid the confusion of DAWs.

What can they do for me now?

What can ableton

Anyone here use Reaper? I'm new to it but I've loved how well it's worked with EZ Drummer and how quick writing drum parts has been. I'm currently shopping around for audio interfaces (looking for mic connection, as recording from amp-mic), and I keep hearing of people having trouble making some of the better known brands like the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 working with it. I'm curious, does anyone have any hints as to audio interfaces which have worked well with Reaper for them?

A lot of the links in the pastebin are dead now.

My old M-Audio mobile-pre usb worked with Reaper back when I used Reaper, so I would assume newer M-Audio interfaces would also work.

sounds like you wasted a ton of money on that shit because you probably have clue what you're doing if you think avoiding software is a good idea.

Thanks man, looking into that

way more expensive than going full digital plus your trapped in your moms garage.

faggot.

some of the piano lead notes need to be held longer.

what a constructive criticism

D A M S O N W H E R E D Y O U F I N D T H I S

/prod/ also used to not die at 55 replies

why did i do this
clyp.it/a1yvm4oa

I made it

future af

:fire:

it's funny because soulja boy say "i got me some bathing ape" at the end of a verse

the guy who founded bape was the dj for the teriyaki boyz

who had that one song youtube.com/watch?v=iuJDhFRDx9M

totally coincidental honestly

we should make a soulja boy remix contest

spiritual

bump

literal faggots in the op instead of funky afromen

oh /prod/ how low can you fall

bump this to be honest

>clyp.it/a1yvm4oa

with a little polish this would probably go off at a normie party

finish it up and fuck mad basic bitches

pretty bad

Anyone here use Maschine? Do you use it to create entire tracks or just export your work to a DAW?

the same shit they could always do? learn to bridge the gap between digital and hardware and twice the power to you

Like this guy

clyp.it/4mqapu0n

opinions? Im new at using ableton.

>he doesnt have an elaborate midi chain of all hardware going into a gigantic mixer

clyp.it/tdjpgtbu

clyp.it/hndnnt12

made this a few days ago, pretty proud of it, still trying to get better at having more movement to my arrangement and making them less blocky... any thoughts/ critiques?

>clyp.it/4mqapu0n
try working on thickening/ layering your high hats a little bit, they sound v. thin

Bump. always been interested in this daw but never known where to start

based Arca

>clyp.it/2yjfc4lp
It sounds fine-ish to me. But honestly at this point, you could make a tighter organ riff using one of the various B3 emulations (even vintage organ if you have logic). Give you a bit more control over the thing. I like the tune though, sounds good.

This sounds like its from a spaghetti western on Venus. I would have liked to hear you use some filter automation on that synth riff, could help you transition it. Even something simple like a lowpass filter slowly crawling down until it disappears. Or some automation on a reverb send when you are about to drop the synth out- so it leaves behind a nice trail. Something more than just "oh now its gone". In fact there are a few other parts that give me that impression. You are great at making some cool ambient sound design-y elements, create some to pad your transitions that let the listener know that something is about to arrive or disappear.

Listen to some Meat Beat Manifesto and get some inspiration: youtube.com/watch?v=ytM9QPtUozs

Check this shit out too, and laugh your ass off: youtube.com/watch?v=GnPH-K44ld8

soulja boyz

I use Maschine. Since buying it I've hardly touched my proper DAWs. In fact I'd be surprised if I ever do again.

It's been like four years and I'm still making absolute trash. Not learning anything. Idk, maybe this is something you have to go to school for?
Anyway, what are some good sites for selling your prod-related stuff?

Nobody's buying on Craigslist/eBay.

I've just started to try sampling to see how it would go. Any constructive criticism for this?

clyp.it/hydfrv4s

Everything is sampled from this:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y82jDHRrswc

>clyp.it/tdjpgtbu
I was sort of enjoying that intro.

But then that drum beat came in.

Working on something shoegazey in a DAW and I am in mixing hell.
Any tips?

clyp.it/21xszhgz

You're a prod/ user who hasn't done multiple years browsing Sup Forums already? Better get started. Otherwise enjoy losing your work when you get botnetted out the ass and your machine shits itself.

Add more reverb to the buzzing/whirring sound as it lacks depth. Also play around with the compression/volume because the entire mix sounds like shit.

So Sup Forums, is anyone interested with this idea: Someone uploads a raw ableton file (or whatever, i just assume most people here use ableton) and /prod/ mixes the song then uploads it to clyp. This will help people with mixing as well as lead to discussion on what certain people did and what sounded the best/unique.

Why don't we just have a remix contest?

>65406430
Because this would focus more on mixing/mastering an already completed song. Imagine it like an audio engineer mixing a song from a band, the band doesn't want a remix.

Why does /prod/ hate FL Studio?

Is that a Genesis cover?

because its good if used correctly and by the right person

Will do.
Thanks.

the tutorials on youtube that they have are excellent and very informative. I would say learn how to utilize all the native effects and effect commands.

I am pretty sure this is in the manual already, if not here it is

files.renoise.com/manual/Renoise_Redux_Effect_Commands.png

Needs more melodic interest. The Arpeggios sound, well, generic and uninteresting.

In electronic music they are most often used to help establish the key/mode of the song, for example when the bass goes on wild wobble rides in DnB or Dubstep. On their own they sound boring.

Add a bassline.
Add more prominent drums.
Add melodic elements.

>clyp.it/2yjfc4lp
The lead piano is too "stabby" and adds a percussive element, clashing with the transients of the drums. The chord piano also needs more sustain.

You may think that the organ sample feels forced because it is the only other element except the vocals that is not always there. Add another element to flipflop between that and the organ (call and response style), and it would sit better.

If those are to be the only vocals, then in my opinion they need to be more prominent in the mix. At the moment they have some kind of background vocal feel.

Pretty good, except for the montone "toot" every bar after the intro. That gives me nothing and annoyed me after a while.

Maybe modulate it a bit with filters over the course of the track to make it more interesting, or make it follow the root note of the chords, or put it a bit in the background of the mix with more reverb.

no it's not, the other guy is right, most things take up most of the spectrum

>clyp.it/tdjpgtbu
That whiny erhu at the end lays on the cliche pretty thick. Also, something about the drums, especially the rolls feels a bit off for this kind of track.

Read this:
> jamesclear.com/ira-glass-failure