Time Out is the best jazz record of all time - prove me wrong

>MUH TIME SIGNATURES

Time Out is the typical rockist choice. In reality its strengths don't make up for the dull soloing

I second Andrew Hill

i remember my first jazz record

not even close
closer but still not that close

the real #1 pick would have to be something Louis since he's the greatest jazz musician of all time, but that might be a bit of a token pick so I could say Coltrane's My Favorite Things or the Paul Motian Trio's Sound of Love or something

it's really the go back to /wsr/ orchestra self-titled

Disgusting
Much better pick
Cringe

>babies first blue note
>calling Louis, Trane, or Motian "cringe"
huh...

>>MUH TIME SIGNATURES
this

so true

>entry level is bad
>"wah i can't into reading comprehension"

I said your post is cringe and your intent is cringe. Armstrong is also the fedora jazz pick.

>tfw your favorite is Karma
am i a pleb?

None of these are even in the top 5 jazz albums desu, although they're all good albums.

No, but you have fucking awful taste

That album is one of the worst things to ever come out of the genre

>talking shit about Louis Armstrong
>who is literally the greatest jazz musician of all time
>yet thinks that entry level blue note is the pinnacle of jazz
dog...

is this thread for entry level overrated records

why?

>h-haha lets continue t-to assert my o-opinion while n-not reas-soning hah-ha
>l-ouis arms-strong i-is the great-t-test jazz musician am-amirite?
How does your computer still function with all the doritos dust?

Literally what happens when you decide to be a lazy fuckface and cash out on your partner's death 2 years ago. I respect Pharoah's work as a sideman on Coltrane's later records but that album is just horrible.

How is it terrible, I listen to it and feel like I'm having a religious experience. Colors is the better track btw, or is that a meme opinion? just getting into jazz.

also

bill evans trio - sunday at the village vanguard
mingus - mingus ah hum
miles davis - bitches brew, kind of blue

Funny how many people can't wait to submit their expert opinion in a shit thread like this but how few will bother to reply to a thread actually trying to discuss jazz in any detail.

because people on Sup Forums can post in a thread like this but can't have an extended discussion on jazz. Everyone knows that.

>can't insult Armstrong without a random ad-homenim about Doritos
>hasn't done the slightest bit of research to start to understand how important and talented Armstrong was

Kind of Blue is probably underrated if anything, since inferior but more "underground" albums like and are namedropped without any stigma but you can't really mention Kind of Blue without people making assumptions

Pic related is the best jazz album. It isn't my personal favorite though; that would be Chappaqua Suite by Coleman.

It's my personal favourite desu

i'd love to discuss jazz in detail but there are never any thread on it, but I mean Sup Forums knows LITERALLY nothing about modern jazz and its classical jazz discussion is just people posting the same fucking Mingus and Fusion Miles and Coltrane and Sun Ra again and again

imo armstrong was amazingly talented, but his music isn't tonally complex or interesting enough to interest me. Where's that put me?
Feels too much like a Leonard Bernstein piece if he was a jazz musician. great, but not the best.

Colors is better because it's shorter. It's 6 minutes of awfulness versus 30 minutes of cancer

How is it terrible? The fucking bassline is ripped straight from A Love Supreme, the vocals are cringeworthy and ear grating, the instrumentation comes off as tryhard, and let's not forget the fucking lyrics. Everything about it is terrible.

He was important but certainly not even close to the greatest.
Coltrane, Mingus, Dolphy, Davis, Hill, Rivers and anyone you name from the 60's post-bop scene, all outshined him by light years

Entry level but solid picks

Go away Scaruffi (jk it's a fantastic album but still a meme)

What's your favorite or which album do you consider to be the best?

ITT: Albums 16 year olds think are "deep and challenging"

>cringe
>tryhard
so basically just buzzwords?
I'm this guy, so idk where that puts me.

I honestly don't know if I've ever seen a thread actually trying to discuss jazz in detail

It's not a buzzword if it has meaning behind it.

The yodeling makes me physically sick. It's so awful and completely out of place. The record as it was alone was already mediocre enough, with the A Love Supreme knockoff bassline and the incredibly tasteless instrumentation but holy shit, the vocals are a one-of-a-kind type of cancer

And the instrumentation. Yeah we get it, muh spirituality muh religion muh i luve u crator. You don't have to throw horribly mixed "tribal" instruments in there.

Like I said, Sanders has some of the best solos on Coltrane's later albums but holy fuck Karma is literally terrible.

>entry level
kek yeah i'm not a big jazz guy, but considering that the OP was dropping take five as GOAT i felt like this thread needed some training wheels

That's kind of funny because there's one going on right now that only a few people have posted in.

I've only heard around 150 jazz albums yet so I'm not in a position to decide which one is objectively the best, but my favorites so far are:

Archie Shepp - Mama Too Tight
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz To Come
Evan Parker - Conic Sections
Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity
Wally Shoup, Paul Flaherty, Thurston Moore & Chris Corsano - Live at Tonic (don't know if it's still considered jazz desu more like noise with a saxophone)

I really like the yodeling and love the entire atmosphere. I really want to mix spirtual and aphro jazz with drone doom metal and create some sort of sonic orgasm machine that gives people trance like experiences listening. I also think bitches brew is is literally 4/10.

I'm sorry

Eh, they're all very good albums, nothing wrong with them.

Blindfold tests are troublesome as hell to participate in and it's usually a bunch of tripfags circlejerking.

Holy shit, you're even more cringeworthy than that tripfag who was around here for a month or two a while back. What was his name, Vaporzfuok or some shit? You're literally exactly the same as him

blindfold tests are a joke, it's the same faggots and their shitty taste making a big circus out of their downbeatcore

Jazz noob here, absolutely love Time out and Bill Evans.

Similar recommendations?

Already got Time further out and Portrait in Jazz/Waltz for Debby, etc.

blue pill me on bitches brew though, it has very little texture, the drums are annoying, and sounds like an early 70s attempt at avant smooth jazz.

>blue pill
>it has very little texture
>and sounds like an early 70s attempt at avant smooth jazz
Fantastic bait, you got me good

>blindfold tests are a joke, it's the same faggots and their shitty taste making a big circus out of their downbeatcore
Literally the whole point of the threads is to critique the music. If you've got criticisms of the music why not do it there?

Also it seems a bit funny to complain about the contents of the playlists when you have every opportunity to make one yourself.

I'm 100% serious, I do not understand the appeal of the album, it's really boring.

Anybody got recs for albums like the Ornette Coleman quartet of sax, trumpet, bass, and drums?

Nice try but you already played yourself. You're not getting anything out of me now

???????????
I'm seriously not baiting you, why do you think I'm baiting you? I'm new to jazz, I'm sorry.

trad faggots cant fusion

the Charlie Haden tributes, John Zorn's Masada, some Steve Lacy albums he did with former Coleman quartet members, and some Charles Brackeen albums

aint much to bluepill you on, you're right, Tribute to Jack Johnson sessions are way superior

sick to pretend youre john mcglaughlin and guitar wank all over it

Alright I'll listen to that, thanks.
???????????

someone bring up zorns massada on Sup Forums

Sorry but that's not how bait works
Jack Johnson is terrible, one of the worse Miles albums

Forgot how good the Unknown Massada is. Haven't listened to it in a few years.

>it's a 2015fag goes on Sup Forums and misinterprets board culture episode
jesus christ, I know you're like 17-18, but maybe it's finally time to learn that you don't just call someone legitimately asking for help in probably the best way you possible can in a thread dedicated to a infrequently discussed genre on Sup Forums a baiter and the shitpost at him. You're probably just going to call this bait too because you don't even know what board that meme originated from without looking on knowyourmeme, so you don't know when to use it except "whenever someone says something I don't like".

listen to the Masada Quintet with Joe Lovano replacing Zorn and Uri Caine on piano, it's fucking dank
i said the Jack Johnson sessions, and basically everything he did after his 60s quintet was terrible, Bitches Brew included, but Jack Johnson's probably the best thing put out at that time because it doesn't have awful amplified saxophones or congas

Have a (You)

The sessions were alright I guess. They aren't worth shit compared to his fusion live stuff, Silent Way and Bitches Brew but they're much better than the actual album itself.

Nice contrarian opinion btw

it's not a contrarian opinion when basically the entire jazz world turned on him, especially when his old work is still revered and inspiring new jazz

you can't have your cake and eat it too

>basically the entire jazz world turned on him
>critics didn't like it 40 years ago that means it's bad
k my man

can you at least explain why you think i'm baiting? I literally told you i suck at jazz and am asking for help to get better.

jesus is the jazz community this fucking bad? Can anyone but this guy fill me in if i should expect this normally? I've been extensively involved in /classical/ and /metal/ and I've never seen pointless anti-newfag shitposting this hard before.

not even sure what you're saying, i'm a contrarian even though we could take turns naming demographics that agree with me?

>pretending to not be pretending to be retarded
This is some next level shit right here.

You implied that people turned on Davis when his fusion era began, therefore it's bad. So basically I simplified that down into a basic sentence

>critics didn't like it 40 years ago that means it's bad

And what, just because a certain demographic doesn't like it means it's objectively bad?

I don't even see the point of this flimsy conversation if I'm honest

well im certainly not going to discuss jazz on Sup Forums again, I learned that lesson. I hope you're proud.

Admitting that you like something on Sup Forums is usually a mistake, regardless of what board you're posting on.

please faggot youre on Sup Forums, plenty of sperglord wizards hang around here
grow a spine and ignore the retards

>You implied that people turned on Davis when his fusion era began, therefore it's bad.
no you fucking retard, I said it was bad and you called me a contrarian, then I said that historically I was in the majority. You are literally a stupid person

grow a spine snowflake.

nah I'm not dealing with this shit, if he doesn't know how the board works I'm just gonna fuck off

fucking newfags

Thank god for that

>historically
Historically you would have been in the majority to be a rightist authoritarian. Not anymore

time out is great for what it is, but it's white as fuck.

it's an excellent album but I'd be hard pressed to claim a third stream album as the best jazz album ever

>whole thread is MUH ENTRY LEVEL argument

when it comes to jazz, if it's obscure it means it's trash that wasn't good enough to be praised by the masses. popular jazz albums are always the best.

Easly in the top 3 of all time desu

So... Kenny G.?

fusion is jazz for dadrockers, literally inferior

>so that means that Kind of Blue is the greatest jazz album of all time

k

holy fuck what a crybaby lmao

>lack of rhytm, tempo, music notions
>good

cmon senpai

stop implying shit I've never said you mong and learn to elaborate your own opinion without shitposting, learn to read

You guys are all morons. My post was bait. I didn't expect a stupid bait thread to get so many replies.

>kenny g

bop and west coast is for old farts who shit themself

still better than being a disgusting dadrocker pleb

ill take your retard logic as an argument.
fusion is superior because it has accumulated the knowledge of all the greats before it, and added to it with modern textures.
Many of the great jazz artists have contributed and focused on fusion later in their careers.
Literally superior

Jungle Fiction sounds exaxtly like that one Todd Terje song on It's Album Time. I think it's Alfonso Muskendunder. This is some copywrite shit right here lmao

On another note, thanks for the rec. That is something completely unique that I've never heard before, and you bet your cock that I will be busy exploring this dudes discography for an extended period of time.

the fourth song sounds like a really cliche funky phish jam.

this thread is cancer
pic related is my personal favorite

>unironically believing fusion is superior to anything

this album is so fucking good

time out is probably the most castrated sort of jazz i have ever listened to and only goes to show that white people have no business in playing jazz music

kys

>jesus is the jazz community this fucking bad?
it was great before the /classical/ shitposters decided to grow out of their racist phase and decided to look into jazz

now /jazz/ is just as terrible as /classical/

Most overrated jazz album of all time.
It's not even that good.
Miles Davis definitely has better stuff out there.

>he fell for the le niggers are better at music maymay

kill yourself my man

not even andrew's best record lol

music and sports are the only thing black people are best at

Gypsies are actually much better and more naturally talented at music than black people. And I mean actual Gypsies from eastern Europe and Balkans. I heard a couple of them jamming on out of tune instruments and it sounded great

>naturally talented at music

Never ceases to amaze me Sup Forums can dissect rock into sub, sub, sub, subgenres but still lump 100 years of music with more variety into just ''jazz''.

What is the point of this post? To point out the redundancy in my expression?

One of the most underrated albums on Sup Forums

There's no such thing as naturally talented at music, and to tie it to race is even dumber.