What does Sup Forums LEGITIMATELY think about this album? (reddit memes aside)

What does Sup Forums LEGITIMATELY think about this album? (reddit memes aside)

Haven't heard all of it.

Never heard it, never intent too.

The only Floyd album I have heard is the first one.

typical response:
>?
actual feeling:
3rd to 2nd best PF album

I think it's a fantastic album. It flows really well, has a variety of instrumentation, creative song writing, and gilmour's solo on "Time" gives me goosebumps.

if only all of Sup Forums was this rational and competent.

Personally, I find it boring.
PF isn't that special once you get into prog, too much meandering.

Money is probably the best song, but I still can't say I like it.

it's one of my favorites, but wish you were here is better

I like how consistent it is.

I think if it were never made, and someone made it today, that they would still be hailed as inventive geniuses and would get 10/10 ratings absolutely across the board.

>PF isn't that special once you get into prog
Completely false.

Love it.

>too much meandering.
Except PF is literally one of the least meandering of the classic "prog" bands.

>if only all of Sup Forums had the same opinions as me

It's excellent. I'm also surprised that there are still people who haven't heard this.

I think you might be a little TOO into prog to judge this, like you're trying to frame Dark Side as a capital-P Prog album, when you should instead be listening to it like you would listen to Radiohead or something.

This fucking guy

this is true, this album holds up really fucking well to this day

Care to say why?
PF isn't a bad band, but when you compare them to the rest of the big (and lesser) prog bands of the time, you kind of see that they weren't really that proggy. More of a prog/psych mix, with a slight pop flavor.
I'm talking waters era, of course.

I don't know user. WYWH is one of the best examples of guitar meandering I can think of (in that era, modern prog metal has tons more).

not him, but the guy at least explains why he likes it, instead of just stating an opinion with no support and not opening up any chance for discussion.

Why? Why would you care so much about something so unimportant?

>calling something meandering
>once you get into prog
>getting into prog

The sentence structure and delivery of response is remarkable for Sup Forums

One of the greatest of all time, but, really,...money doesn't fit with the rest of the album

Does it really matter if they were "proggy"? I don't think that you should determine whether an artist is good or not based on how well they fit their genre. After all, genre's are nothing but labels.

You know, he can fire that exact argument back at you. Nobody HAS to listen to anything, and to think otherwise is to further the record companies' agendas to push the same old moldy rock "classics" onto the hordes, year after year, to maintain their steady cashflow.

agreed, I still like the song but it really doesn't fit.

i think i love it because no matter how many times i hear it, i get chills when eclipse starts up. i always feel exactly what the music wants me to feel

Prog is not about guitar masturbation.
Or well, in the beginning it wasn't. Defending modern prog is a bit harder.
Like, King Crimson, Gentle Giant and early Yes stuff was more about harmony than just flashy soloing. You needed to be good to play the stuff, but it was treated as a tool, not as the center of attention.

This guy gets it

I'm not determining that they're good or not because of that. I just said why I didn't like them. Not the same thing.

>Care to say why?
You said they aren't that special once you get into prog. You're trying to pass the idea that PF is entry-level and loses its charm when "mature" in terms of prog music.

You may very well hold this opinion, but that's all it is. I deeply disagree with your perception, and consider myself "well-read" in the genre of progressive rock.

No, I am curious. I don't care if he ever listens to it. I am curious as to why someone would be so adamant about NOT listening to something.

Eh, I don't know.
I actually like Radiohead. PF just bores me to death. And believe me when I say I've tried listening to them many times.
I think Syd's era was good, it's Water's stuff what bores me.

Well, of course it's my opinion. I'm not some kind of taste authority.
It's more or less what happened to me: listened to PF first, as a lot of people do. But after being introduced to other bands, PF's music just "dried out" or something like that.
The long guitar interludes that the band loved so much didn't sound exciting after listening to Camel or Gryphon. It was just too long, too repetitive to my ears.

It's good that you disagree, that's just life.
But I'll never get why so many people put them in a pedestal. I just can see what makes them especial.

Like I always say, I have never been a fan of stuff like DSOTM because it's pretty much radio pop in how it takes a bunch of ideas and waters them down rather than exploring them except there are more ideas in it than radio pop shit. Too quantity over quality for me.

This.
My thoughts exactly.

Well I'm glad you're aware of it, at least.

I'm just sickened to the bones of "2prog4u" people trying to act like DSotM is some kind of "phase" you go through, once you discover prog-rock, and all its derivatives.

It's a classic but listened to it so much in 8th grade that I never want to put it on anymore

the only "pop" song on the album was Money lol

Ah, that.
No, I don't really have issues with it.
Taste is just that, fighting over it is useless.

The great gig in the sky is soooo fucking good

I don't particularly enjoy DSOTM desu, I see how someone could enjoy it but it just doesn't click with me for some reason.

I enjoy Animals and Wish You Were Here a lot tho...

Best Pink Floyd album. It's the perfect blend of their early psychedelic sound and their later progressive sound. Best listened to from start to finish in one sitting, like The Wall.

People shit on it to seem contrarian and I think that sucks because it's actually really really good.

"...meh"

It's pretty good, very cohesive. I prefer Animals though.

Overrrated as hell

It's a great album but PF have at least 3 or 4 albums that surpass it

literally a masterpiece. one of the few albums that will still be listened to in the next century. it is the pinnacle of rock music

it fits perfectly because a song about money is supposed to be pop-ish and more lively than the rest of the album.

Honestly, i like it a lot and even though it isnt one of my favourites i see why it has such a great reputation and i think it deserves it.