/experimental/

"If you don't like it, you (believe it or not) don't have to post in it" edition
Hi guys I'd like for us to try this again. I like noise, drone, electroacoustic, glitch, and other such genres and would like to discuss it with you all. But these threads tend to spiral out of control, so let's set some ground rules:
1. Don't post just to say how stupid this thread is. You're entitled to your opinion but you'll be saving yourself a lot of energy by keeping it to yourself. I apologize if we don't meet your sophisticated standards for music discussion
2. Don't ask "how do I get into (insert genre or artist)?" While this thread is partially intended to promote the discovery of new music, it's really easy to just look up an RYM chart for something. No one can help you "get into" something. Just go listen to it and either like it or don't. If you want recommendations, listen to some releases, see if you like them, and people will recommend you something similar. No one here is going to help you "understand" an artist or genre of music
3. Feel free to talk about releases and artists you like, shows, gear, etc. These all welcome
4. Just be civil please. if you feel the need to complain (a compulsion I don't particularly understand) then just don't. You're not helping anyone. If you just need to be annoying there are a bunch of other threads to go do that in.

Now that that's been established, hopefully we can have some nice chats. Any Xenakis fans? I've been listening to Persepolis and it's a pretty intriguing piece. I enjoy it more than what I heard on his Electronic Music release and am interested in exploring him more. I also would like to expand my horizons in stochasticism and other experimental modern classical in general. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance, and let's have fun today

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/genre/Experimental/
youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM
banzaei.bandcamp.com/album/downside-up
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mattin_taku_unami/distributing_vulnerability_to_the_affective_classes/
avantgardeaudioassembly.bandcamp.com/releases
clyp.it/m5wv1n1t
soundcloud.com/ourexitbag/tricky-plexus-what-was-pain
youtu.be/9mUX1l89npg
soundcloud.com/fantasticfetusfuckfest/john-galt-can-suck-my-dick
soundcloud.com/fantasticfetusfuckfest/done-over
vorpilatus.bandcamp.com/album/demo
youtube.com/watch?v=cQ_fc6jMDcE
soundcloud.com/mephisto_waltz/the-visitation-feat-ornate-exit
youtube.com/watch?v=gaoEjBb0sEw
youtube.com/watch?v=QbfIQrkM3jA
youtube.com/watch?v=Wnads6tU_pw
youtube.com/watch?v=xgesy1r2Wwg
youtube.com/watch?v=cj0emDOCsGA
youtube.com/watch?v=JECd-NZRtAs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Experimental is an adjective, not a genre.

Find where I said it was a genre

If everyone is going to get pissy about the word "experimental" then just understand I'm using it as a broad umbrella term as is done here:
rateyourmusic.com/genre/Experimental/

Xenakis=zeus zappa=odin jesus=me. Good pick, xenakis is the modern sati, futureman. Chicks prefer him = el futureman. I don't know anything else to add. Messiaen is also wonderful. I'm pretty big arches with it. I'm gonna be looking at what i can do with playing acoustic instruments in fucked up ways in conjunction with all le tech and shit. Goodthread, fuckohg.

So like electroacoustic stuff? What kind of instruments and techniques did you have in mind?

I was thinking, i love birds and we're always playing, check out what kind of menial stuff people use to 'communicate' with birds. And sure, xenakis is sth so natural to me, son of an architect, i always lean towards him. ... Plus, overall i just like to play really oddly and counter what instruments are 'supposed to be played as'.
Electric acoustic, as a method, yes, but not at all as an outcome. More, "fantasy-scifi-shaman" admixing. What any kid would do. I just make it to make my birds appy, so, it's not los 'intellectual experimentals' that i gravitate towards. So i go back much for ideas, and still very much like to throw in serialist elements, whilst trying not to have them too cornholey, but i do.
As far as techniques, i kinda have my own ways, and i'm pretty good at maths, with these cpus and all, so i fix alot of it inside the cpu, rather than 'on the floor'. Instruments? The bird thingies, there must be alot of this, not too expensive. That's about all i have to say, byeio.

I don't get it, why would anyone want to listen to noise?

I think its a meme?

Anyone else here who fucking loves Foodman's new album Ez Minzoku? Fuck he is good

Evidently you chose to ignore the rules stipulated in the first post. What, are you expecting someone to enlighten you or are you just wanting to start an argument? Unless you can rephrase the question into something less annoying/pointless then you should probably leave. Thanks for the bump though

Because it's not just fucking static noise as you like to pretend that you think it is, although you know better.

I have not, but it seems interesting. Is the glitch element prominent or is it more of like a juke/footwork album with glitchy qualities?

Ok I'm just gonna try and put some random names out there, to see if anyone is into them here

Rules, Yearning Kru, Brood Ma, WWWINGS, Eaves, M.E.S.H., DJ New Jersey Drone, Halcyon Veil generally, etc.

Anyone?

It's literally noise friendo. I'm listening to this on youtube and it's clearly not music, it's just occasional thumping sounds.
It literally is, I mean listen to this youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM
there isn't a note throughout, it's all just scraping and horrid and unpleasant noises.
I literally don't understand why anyone would put themselves through this when they could listen to the beautiful music of Poulenc, Gerswin and Tchaikovsky.

Sounds like this isn't your cup of tea then. Well thanks for playing, go away now

I'm downloading now so I'll get back to you shortly

It's great, potential AOTY material.

I'm slightly embarrassed to say these are, as far as I know, all entirely unfamiliar to me. Could you tell me a bit more about any/all of them? I'm always looking for new stuff

Thoughts on this album?

WOAH NELLY - apparently this experimental pop tune genre is pretty rude! just kidding guys I made this. chekkit out - if you dare...

banzaei.bandcamp.com/album/downside-up

You could say that most of his stuff is built from a 'juke skeleton', but it is very different from any other juke that I've heard, but yeah you could probably say that it's juke with glitchy elements and a lot of midi sounds. It has a very playful, silly/childish vibe, but in a good way.

It's a very hard album to describe, but definitely one of my favourites of this year so far.

Mozart improvised, being a gutenberg man, he could write fast enough to catch that. We are no longer that gutenbergman. We must safely use the plethora of machines at our disposal to be as mozarts were, and capture that emotion and passion. Taking an experimental approach is tantamount, no less there will be many failures, this is the true goal of music.

This would probably be better received in the bandcamp thread. Alternatively, if you post something you should include a somewhat detailed description if possible
I'm not a big fan of her or death industrial in general. I find her kind of entry level and overrated but that's just my opinion. I'll admit that my perception is probably tainted by cynicism and the comments of others, though. What are YOUR thoughts on it?

You need to listen to it for a while. Foodman's album is definitely not a noise album.

The Schoenberg/Boulez (not sure who, not very knowledgeable about classical) piece is definitely not noise. How can you say that it's just like static noise? Both of your examples are very far from being literal noise music.

Are you so jaded that you can't even comprehend the fact that other people can actually enjoy this? Also I talk to my "real world" friends about it regularly and we have decent discussion about it. I'm sorry you find the enjoyment of experimental music to be offensive but I feel you're way off base

Most of it falls under the umbrella of post-club electronic music. It's very hard to describe, especially because the artists I listed aren't necessarily very similar in their output, but I believe they are all more or less part of the same 'food chain' on soundcloud. Expect noisy, abrasive and highly experimental music, often with what I'd call a HD sound - as opposed to the lo-fi-ish sound that's usually associated with noise and experimental music.

A few of my favourite releases to recommend are:

DJ NJ Drone - Syn Stair
M.E.S.H. - Piteous Gate
Eaves - GORILLA
Yearning Kru - Copper Vale

I'm sorry you feel that way. But as was said at the start of this thread, your input is wholly unwelcome

>Poulenc, Gerswin and Tchaikovsky.

None of these artists make music, stop pretending to like this non-musical crap you pathetic classical-teen.

Excellent! Thank you for the recommendations. That description is very interesting

Bait, fuck off

>your input is wholly unwelcome
Oh, I'm sorry, is this thread a safe space?
Must be pretty threatening to have someone expose your entire artistic taste as pretentious navel gazing.

I enjoy ryoji ikeda and am looking for other glitch and/or microsound artists. Recs?

damn, someone saw through my facade.

it's not hard to enjoy please stop baiting/being an insecure pleb

Inspector dim V the sjw's V the spanish inquisition V reasonrally. Please stay do, this is pretty experimental comedy stuff.

>Poulenc, Gerswin and Tchaikovsky

Shit taste, listen to the true masters or fuck off poser.

It's my first noise music. At first, wow i was just overwhelmed but loved it. And i saw her live video, wew that was pretty amazing too.

I don't know how insecure in my tastes you think I am to let a 16-year-old shake my confidence in what I listen to, but I was more saying it's unwelcome because ive heard your complaints for years and don't need anyone else saying "yo this isn't even music, man". If you came to this thread just to stir up trouble then I'd more so suspect you of being the one who feels the need to impress others. Do you need some attention in your thread? I can check it out

digging all these eletroacoustika

Nice! I guess I didn't have the same response personally, although I do think she was one of the noise artists I listened to first...I mean not to say I didn't enjoy it or anything but I've just found other artists more appealing. Again, I'm just not a big death industrial guy on top of that

Well, i also like classical. So i like hearing sth more melodic and vested. Experimental is pretty give and take person to person. I think you're preying on something long sailed away into history.

I don't think I understand what you're saying, exactly. Are you saying that a) classical and experimental music are mutually exclusive and b) that experimentation in music is "over"? I think I just am not understanding your post

Stop feeding the troll.

alva noto, jan jelinek, oval, pita, ryuichi sakamoto (esp his live performance with alva noto called utp), vladislav delay (sort of), some autechre

Great! Thanks man

I'm saying it's "rumage till you find". As well, Music is always experimental & you can't actually catch your dreams in pissbottles, since you aren't the demiurg. Also ... Now stop being a spongeypeewee of a 'troll', grrrrr!!!!

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mattin_taku_unami/distributing_vulnerability_to_the_affective_classes/

Ignore the low rating on this one, this is an all time masterpiece of experimental music and a must hear for anyone remotely into the style.

Reposting recs from the other thread.
Yoshihide, Je Chun, Yeon (+ Sachiko M) - Loose Community
Animist Orchestra - Wuwei
Pisaro, Wolff - Looking Around
Denley, Lauzier, Martel, Myhr, Normand - Transition de phase
Mural - Live at Rothko Chapel

Is this making sense to anyone else? Maybe this guy is esl? What is being said is literally incomprehensible to me

M.E.S.H. and DJ NJ Drone belong to /bleep/.

I mean not trying to be a dick, and maybe I'm just not reading it right...I just want a third party's translation

Look everyone!! It's a lesbian!!! Kill it with jane eyre!!!!

What exactly is this album stylistically, outside experimental?

What.......

onkyo

Jane eyre is really boring, yet well written. I'm saying i have 'inverse jane eyre'. I thought you were vying for comedic 'bits'? Stop being lesbian... .

Ooh, nice. Thanks

O-okay user

Finished downloading! So far so good. Definitely more jarring than I expected

you sound like a cool guy. can you share your music with me?

I'm not releasing... Yet... If at all. Close to broke, no gear, that shit. ... Probably never will release. Like i said, i literally make it for the birds. So, i consider it theirs, not mine.

Seconded. I haven't heard of anything quite like what you described

Oh fair enough. I like the idea though. Being broke does get in the way...

Check out 0.02 by albur

I don't agree about M.E.S.H. Isn't /bleep/ mostly for techno, house, etc.? If anything, I'd say /bloop/, but I might have gotten them wrong, I haven't participated that much on here.

I'm glad you like it so far, I can only recommend to look through Orange Milk's releases if you're not familiar with the label. You should especially check out DARK WEB by Giant Claw if you don't know it.

Hey I got some Giant Claw. Deep thoughts. I should listen again

More like pic related?

Here is my EP, released on Friday.
avantgardeaudioassembly.bandcamp.com/releases

Here's an improv piece I just recorded.
clyp.it/m5wv1n1t

Here's my overproduced garbage.
soundcloud.com/ourexitbag/tricky-plexus-what-was-pain

Tell me what you know about Ruth White...

shit can you not link to archived threads?

>I've been going back through Ruth White's releases...
>youtu.be/9mUX1l89npg
>Anyone know if she worked exclusively with Moog? That's what I've heard, but I swear I hear some Buchla lpgs in the later shit.

I don't have any musical talent but I heard some noisehop and gave it a try.
soundcloud.com/fantasticfetusfuckfest/john-galt-can-suck-my-dick

Also slapped my noisehop plugin settings on a different experimentcause why the fuck not.
soundcloud.com/fantasticfetusfuckfest/done-over

I mean while we're doing the self-promotion :^)

Crumbly walls, drones and tape fuzz
vorpilatus.bandcamp.com/album/demo

Hoping to get some new material soon for a split I'm doing with a friend

check out some of the EAI stuff from Japan. I recommend checking out stuff with Sachiko M on it. Her stuff is way more minimal and less 'clean' than Ryoji though. I used to like Ryoji but I'm actually less into it now after exploring more stuff.

The kind of sound that I prefer in stuff like this. Do you have a conceptual idea tied to your project?

how did you improvise that? like what were you doing

Thanks! It's definitely what I'm going for too, trying to use a lot of tapes and live records for that imperfect analog sound

And nothing fully-baked, like I've always had an interest in religious themes and I've been using some brutalist architecture for my art but nothing developed enough that I'd feel confident calling a concept, heh

*live recordings

Patching, repatching, playing manual cv with pressure and touch.

There's an element of feedback in it which was achieved with a teleplexer and a small mic I had picking up the low end of the output and slowing bring that in was probably the most dynamic aspect.

It reminds me of ritual industrial at times, so I'd definitely see what you can do with the religious idea in terms of concept - maybe see what you can think of juxtaposing that with the architecture you use somehow. It's a good sound from what I've heard, and doesn't jump around in displeasing ways like many of the projects I've seen posted here do. The analog sound is great (side b clips a bit distractingly in the first two minutes of that beginning ambience though) - one of the reasons it reminds me of some lo-fi 80s and 90s european ritual industrial projects, which are an influence on me personally.

You know, I thought just by the name that "Death Industrial" was fucking stupid.

I was wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=cQ_fc6jMDcE

Just a reminder, this is not a bandcamp/soundcloud thread. That'll be going in the rules for the next thread

I mean I love the enthusiasm and love for people to make cool music but there are other threads for that

soundcloud.com/mephisto_waltz/the-visitation-feat-ornate-exit

It's a new track (finally) featuring the very talented Ornate Exit.

I do have some sort of idea of connecting the religious and architecture themes, since what I like about both of them really has to do with the sheer scale and imposing nature of them but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who knows - and yeah, I'm trying to not go for too much of a spastic cut-up sound, more of a live feel with evolving textures and layers etc

And I actually haven't listened to any ritual industrial, though you've got me interested with the comparisons now - any recommendations you'd give?

You're neglecting the fact that these "other threads" are not the kind of community to provide discussion relevant to this. No reason fo you to get pissy about sharing. That's one of the things that killed /noise/ because people couldn't separate shitty low effort projects from others and instead voted to just shit on everything and post the same links. As long as the same person is not spamming links with no further words, we can have good discussion about projects, ideas, etc.

>Rules

Please don't. You're only going to start more arguments. Treat this as a thread for discussion, not a shitty pretentious general.

>"experimental" music discussion'
>just a bunch of idiomatic trash that's "weird"
protip noise in 2016 is not experimental at all in any way

Oh, oops... Sorry! Just reading this now

youtube.com/watch?v=gaoEjBb0sEw

youtube.com/watch?v=QbfIQrkM3jA

youtube.com/watch?v=Wnads6tU_pw

youtube.com/watch?v=xgesy1r2Wwg

youtube.com/watch?v=cj0emDOCsGA

Hunting Lodge isn't strictly ritual, but I would classify the sound of many of their works within that vein.

Having rules has helped this thread be much better than the one I started yesterday, imo. I am someone who posted my bandcamp in /noise/ at the time you're referring to. I got helpful feedback and everything but I recognized that the bandcamp thread was a better place for it, and now I don't even feel compelled to promote my music much at all unless someone asks to hear it. I hear what you're saying and I'm not trying to stifle anyone's creativity, but it just doesn't seem like the right place. That's just me.

Please don't post this sort of thing in the thread. Thanks.

Don't worry about it, I just am trying to keep the thread from becoming inundated in links. As long as it's getting discussed and it's going well then it's fine

please don't make a thread called experimental when none of the music that's discussed is experimental in any way and there's no discussion about what experimental music is and it's all stuff based on decades-old idioms, you fucking retard. it's like you want this thread to be horrible and for retards

Appreciated! Skimming through these and it seems right up my alley, and I've also been looking to incorporate some drumming into my live sets without getting cheesy ("dude yo noise and beats") and some of the more rhythmic elements in there are definitely giving me some ideas

i'm not him, but post something truly experimental then.

Okay well don't read it then. Or post some music you'd prefer to be discussed. I don't really care, just do something less cancerous if you can help yourself

youtube.com/watch?v=JECd-NZRtAs

i don't see how you'd call my pointing out how obnoxious your thread is 'cancerous' but don't see a problem with repeatedly making a thread that encourages people to propagate misconceptions about experimental art.