V A P O R W A V E

Guys, what the fuck is a vapor wave?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f8d3-CKPupM&t=26m26s
youtube.com/watch?v=rTfa-9aCTYg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's an attempt at making music; made by people who, without the internet, would never have made music in the first place.

Even though Vaporwave is kind of a joke genre, pervaded by 9gag memes about A E S T H E T I C and post-post-post irony, I feel like it has an "accidental stroke of genius" feel to it at times.

Like, when they slowed down that Diana Ross song and put it along with Windows 95 imagery, somehow it all "clicked" perfectly, creating a feeling of childhood nostalgia along with a strange feeling of being in a neon Japanese mall and drowning in their mall fountain.

This is despite the fact that diana's song was recorded before Win95 even came out. And despite the fact that the song, when it was recordedat its "normal" speed, doesn't seem to have any Jap-like or mystical feel to it. Know what I'm saying?

It's like how The Beatles accidentally sped up the piano in "In My Life", giving it a posh/baroque feel that worked very well (even though that wasn't their intention when they recorded it at the normal speed).

The music also perfectly captures the nostalgia, warmth, and slight eeriness of older technology. You know that ending of 420 with the stuttering music? To me, that captures the feel of a 90s computer powering down or glitching out, and the slight disturbance or uncanny valley we felt as kids, seeing the normal-looking visuals of the DOS game we were playing abruptly freezing up, crashing, and being flipped into a weird-color nightmare.

its IRONIC dude I guess you just dont ~get~ it like us 90s kids

Perfect explanation, and nice dubs

fantastic post

completely agreed.. it really is a unique """"aesthetic"""", i dont think theres anything else that makes you feel the specific emotions that vaporwave does.. it's such a weird and yet easily identifiable set of memories and feelings.. think of the classic windows xp desktop background. probably one of the most recognizable pictures in the world. it's a photo, right? but it's just not quite real. it's pixelated, compressed... the color palette is small.. i dont know it's just such a weird, unclear and yet simple feeling.. like floating in cough syrup made from the colors of the windows logo.

I want this shit meme to end

It's vaporwave, not vapor wave.
No space.

Please get it right next time so this shitty meme genre stays out of my catalog.

WinXP isn't quite as nostalgic or A E S T H E T I C, but it's still nostalgic and has that "special feeling". It's probably the last nostalgic version of Windows, I'd say.

In general, I'd say that most technology produced before ~2007 possesses at least some degree of warmth and A E S T H E T I C. As time goes on, perhaps that date will move up.

>As time goes on, perhaps that date will move up

yeah desu I think vista could be quite A E S T H E T I C after a few years.

But Vista sucks.

Win 7 seems to be the best version they've ever made, at least to me

vaporwave is the sounds of the 80s pop culture, the imagery of 90s industrial , and 00s internet culture. And anime and history (marble sculptures in museums, etc). All things millennials experienced growing up. You listen to vaporwave and it brings you back to a time that never existed, yet you were there.

>tfw serious artists are emerging from this shit meme

For instance, these Genesis live versions seem to have a very comfy, specific sort of aesthetic. You've got those atmospheric keyboards, and the slightly muffled 80s sound quality which create a sense of longing and nostalgia. Just listen to them:
youtube.com/watch?v=f8d3-CKPupM&t=26m26s

In addition, I'd say these songs sound almost like something that would play on an old Windows 95 action game or something. Know what I'm saying?

But we're not in the 00s anymore, and the memes then didn't involve the "post-post-post irony" that vaporwave does

I was referring to the style of the 2000s internet when it was becoming massive

unironically saying post irony and it's variants tells me that you are somewhere on the high end of the autism spectrum.

I often feel that I am autistic. Then I remind myself I am a genius!

Vaporwave is the best thing to come from electronic music since 2010. Absolutely surreal.

You posted this 35,2 times

No, I posted it like 3 times but no one responded those first two times so I decided to try again

nah, you just legitimately don't understand what it means

I'm glad it worked out for you senpai.

Its an extension of what the chillwave genre started in terms of hazy production/atmosphere. The music really does not evoke those specific qualities (neon, japanese mall, childhood, 90s), that all is visual and complimentary to the music. That is what creates an ''aesthetic".

I get your you are saying, but at the same time it kind of makes me cringe.

It's a very very recycled interpretation of vaporwave (which itself is based on a platform of regurgitation).

I think its less a stroke of genius, and kind of a cheap grab at the next wave of content cherry pick . (2000's nostalgia just creeping in at the time vaporwave started).

Nothing, absolutely nothing about it is original which bothers me. Daniel Lopatin called them Eccojams, because anyone could chop and screw these old songs and make something interesting with use of echo... something unique to them. But its not a ''genre'' , and should not be anything more to an actual musician except an experiment or excersise.

All the source content for vaporwave aesthetic is complete on its own (the windows 95 logo/graphic design work, 1980s japanese architecture, music) all of those items are creative end products that already are perfected and have met their finalized form (they are simply complete items)

To have a teenager come and plunder those sources, add echo and make a 'beat' out of a full band's song from the 80s (for example) plus slap on the logos that an actual 50 year old graphic designer worked on for years (the imagery of game logos, windows 95). is just in poor taste. The vapor artists selling their work for profit should be ashamed of plundering and being so unoriginal. (anyway thats my take on it)

fucking nice, thanks
yeah it does remind me of that kind of thing.

Daily reminder that vaporwave was only intended to be a joke and is for all intents and purposes dead

Yeah agreed fun is the worst thing ever and it should be banned.

wannabe music nerds cant enjoy something and let it be ITT

This guy gets it.

Post your favorite [spoiler]S i m p s o n W a v e[/spoiler]

>youtube.com/watch?v=rTfa-9aCTYg

VAPORWAVE is literally what EXPLOITATION MOVIES were in the 80's. Cheap, and most of the time pretty fucking lame, and just relying on its ambiance and setting to look cool.

It's pretty fucking shit.

I doubt any genuine vaporwave artist makes vaporwave music thinking they're hot musicians - they're just there to add more hazy memories to the stirring pot. The exceptions are those dumb Tumblr trendhoppers (who don't make actual vaporwave anyway) and Dream Catalogue (who no longer want to be called vaporwave).

Plus there are too many people who come and criticise vaporwave for how little it edits the material. They know. Vaporwave was never meant to be a revolution of plunderphonics, nor was it gonna make any SILYs - it's a genre for people to basically talk and say "remember this feeling?".

But I do agree that those charging money for their music are assholes. Especially people like Macross who make possibly the least amount of changes to his source material (I'm surprised he hasn't been sued yet)

what is this meme

This almost makes me feel bad for Vektroid

>Plundering without changing anything
Ever heard of a cover song before? There's a rich tradition of taking someone else's song and "interpreting" it

Vaporwave is indeed a genre, like it or not. There are now thousands of artists (most of them rubbish, like any genre)

>Visual aesthetics outside the music is lame
Goth (the cure are faggots for wearing black and eyeliner)
grunge (dressing like a slacker is for faggots)
Rock (long hair is for faggots)
etc

Then you're not looking hard enough. Some decent producer turned vaporwave, named Pagan Gold, is the worse to talk to. He's so damn arrogant and just talks about his past accomplishments. He produces unoriginal remixes of popular Vaporwave and acts like he is a god. He mentioned a USA tour with Macross and a few nobodies.

This guy says he makes 'bank,' but I doubt anything that fucker says. I met him on a vaporwave stream, and he is always on them. If you get a popular stream he will be there trying to make you believe his story.
He also forces everyone to hear how he was the best DJ of Austin TX, and how he won a contest to win the chance to play for Wu-Tang as an opener.

Though When I make it down to TX someday. I'll hit him up for some beer and chill.

I don't remember what mainstream fuck used 420. It introduced a lot of normies to vaporwave, but it comes off as weird when it happened to everyone, fans included.

Does anybody have the guide to vaporwave? It has a list and chart of vaporwave, vaporjazz, and all the other shit

People like him, HKE, Macross, etc. are the type of trendhoppers I was referring to, those who try and milk cash from the genre with no knowledge of what it's really about. My point was that if you filter those you have a really enjoyable little wave of music. One idea I heard the other day was that if you completely get with and synch with that certain mood and feeling that vaporwave has, etc it's very easy to find the good stuff and skip over the sham nonsense.

HKE has been an ass the past year but i cant deny he makes some good fucking music

wat
>Even though Vaporwave is kind of a joke genre, pervaded by 9gag memes about A E S T H E T I C and post-post-post irony, I feel like it has an "accidental stroke of genius" feel to it at times.

Like, when they slowed down that Diana Ross song and put it along with Windows 95 imagery, somehow it all "clicked" perfectly, creating a feeling of childhood nostalgia along with a strange feeling of being in a neon Japanese mall and drowning in their mall fountain.

This is despite the fact that diana's song was recorded before Win95 even came out. And despite the fact that the song, when it was recordedat its "normal" speed, doesn't seem to have any Jap-like or mystical feel to it. Know what I'm saying?

It's like how The Beatles accidentally sped up the piano in "In My Life", giving it a posh/baroque feel that worked very well (even though that wasn't their intention when they recorded it at the normal speed).

The music also perfectly captures the nostalgia, warmth, and slight eeriness of older technology. You know that ending of 420 with the stuttering music? To me, that captures the feel of a 90s computer powering down or glitching out, and the slight disturbance or uncanny valley we felt as kids, seeing the normal-looking visuals of the DOS game we were playing abruptly freezing up, crashing, and being flipped into a weird-color nightmare.

something that yung lean invented

everyone else is a talentless hack