Which one is better?

PET SOUNDS
PET SOUNDS
PET SOUNDS
PET SOUNDS
PET SOUNDS
PET SOUNDS

Abbey Road flows better as an album

Abbey Road, just purely because of how defunct and useless Pet Sounds is as a record. Do people only like it Ironically or?

/thread

The Smile Sessions

Tell me when Abbey Road has 'God Only Knows'

Pet Sounds. Abbey Road is an album of strong rock songs, and nothing more. Pet Sounds is something special - it immerses you in its vision.

Are you fucking retarded?

I honestly don't even see how you can say this. In Pet Sounds the songs flow into each other, and they all play on a theme or feeling. Abbey Road is literally just a collection of songs.

really? What is it's vision? Mediocre lyrics backed by boring slow instrumentation and sung in harmonies that are nauseating by the time you get to track 2?

you're dumb

Pet Sounds. Why is this even a question?

How? Pet Sounds is just a continuous stream of fumbles, boring musical-theater-tier lyrics, and awful musical cliches that it helped to perpetrate. People talk about this albums legacy, but the only legacy it really left was inspiring people to produce metric shit tonnes of boring, uninspired and gutless pop music. Put it in the bin where it belongs.

Abbey Road would be better compared to Surfs Up. Both should be considered their swan song and both have more conventional rock elements. Pet Sounds is in a whole different world than those two

Easily Pet Sounds

But op is comparing both bands best albums

in my honest opinion, you're dumb

but that would be Pet Sounds vs The White Album. The answer would still be Pet Sounds, of course.

It has The End medley though, which is better

Your favourite album is a hopeless piece of shit, does it feel bad?

Tell me when Pet Sounds has I Want You (She's So Heavy)

>wall of sound production
>unconventional chord choices
thats pretty much it

does it feel bad to be so dumb?

The lyric comparison you made makes literally no sense. Wilson's lyrics are pretty much all about being lovelorn. They're about emotions, whether they're well-written or not. Musical theater uses concrete storytelling in its lyrics, which is a big part of why it's musical THEATER. You're too weak minded to make arguments that even make any sense.

Pet Sounds is better than Abbey Road but Sgt Peppers is better than Pet Sounds

You mean Pet Sounds vs Magical Mystery Tour. WA is too damn inconsistent to be their best.

oh, i was just trying to point out how twee his lyrics are, i can see how you would find that a weird comparison.

When I first listened to Pet Sounds as a teenager I thought I had been left out of an elaborate in-joke

Treacle.

>teenager
Heres your problem. Actually get life experience. Fall in love. Kiss a girl. Grow apart. Most teenagers will not get it

Hey, faggots who like Pet sounds. Why does the percussion drop out in the choruses all the time? Why would anyone think that would be an interesting idea? It just highlights how shit the drumming is.

The lack of percussion in the chorus makes it more immesive and atmospheric, and it adds importance to the chorus itself by having the variable of not having a percussive element (perhaps like the rest of the song)
fuck off
>Pet Sounds is regarded by musicologists as an early concept album that advanced the field of music production through its introduction of non-standard harmonies and timbres, incorporating elements of pop, jazz, exotica, classical, and the avant-garde. A heralding work of psychedelic rock, the album signaled an aesthetic trend within rock by transforming it from dance music into music that was made for listening to, elevating itself to the level of art rock. Author Bill Martin said that within Pet Sounds, the Beach Boys "brought expansions in harmony, instrumentation (and therefore timbre), duration, rhythm, and the use of recording technology
>Wilson's symphonic arrangements wove elaborate layers of vocal harmonies, coupled with sound effects and unusual instruments such as bicycle bells, buzzing organs, harpsichords, flutes, Electro-Theremin, trains, Hawaiian-sounding string instruments, Coca-Cola cans, and barking dogs, along with the more usual keyboards and guitars. Unified by Wall of Sound-style production techniques

To be fair, that was all things that had already been done before.

prove
it

>Wilson's lyrics
He didn't write the lyrics.

does it feel bad to be so dumb?

Phil Sector had already essentially invented the Wall of Sound production technique. So much in that Wilson used the same studio and same session musicians as Spector in the hopes to steal the sound.

As for unusual timbres and sound elements, listen to Spike Jones, who had been doing it 20 years before Brian Wilson had.

And smile is better than sgt peps

Objectively?
Pet Sounds

Personally?
Abbey Road

Not really, it never even existed.

>Objectively?
How so?

I agree, I don't know what's the big deal about it, it's as generic as white bread and just disgustingly sweet

Originality, innovation, artistic merit, creativity

It pretty much does tho

How are those things all measured?

It was never finished, so it can't.

Abbey Road

The more times you do something that has already been done before, the less original you are.
The more and more innovative elements you add, the more innovative you are.
Also, intuition.

>The more times you do something that has already been done before, the less original you are.
Then both albums are equally unoriginal in this case.
>Also, intuition.
So... subjective personal preference

Abbey Road of course

>Then both albums are equally unoriginal in this case.
It's not about absolutes, but relatives. One of them was less original than the other.

>So... subjective personal preference
No, because if it was, I would have chosen the objectively best as my favorite too, which isn't the case.

>It's not about absolutes, but relatives
Which is why "innovation" and "creativity" are not measurable at all. it's only relative to the listener. ("This element [that has existed in music for decades] is pretty innovative because I've never heard it before!")
>No
Yes, because intuition is not objective. What you label each is arbitrary because both are subjective.

Have you not learned anything?

>Which is why "innovation" and "creativity" are not measurable at all. it's only relative to the listener. ("This element [that has existed in music for decades] is pretty innovative because I've never heard it before!")
You are partially right. All branches of knowledge are relative to the "listener", but that doesn't mean it can't be measured, especially considering all the individual experiences can be considered and be unified under a single theory. For example, atomic models.

>Yes, because intuition is not objective. What you label each is arbitrary because both are subjective.
Yes, I know. I meant to say that in this case I'm going by intuition, but that doesn't mean it can't be done without it.

>Have you not learned anything?
Each time I learn more and more.

what instrument do you use to measure those?

>but that doesn't mean it can't be measured
It can, but the results will not be objectively correct.
>For example, atomic models.
How so?
>I meant to say that in this case I'm going by intuition
Then it's definitely not objective.
>Each time I learn more and more.
Not really, because we've been through this before. I've explained to you the error in your logic, but you didn't learn from your mistakes. Instead, you just push your agenda.

Abbey Road, for sure. Invented the breakup album, pretty much (as a band, at least, not a relationship). I really like Pet Sounds, but nothing on there grips me like I Want You or Because. It's just all very nice, but not as striking or mesmerizing.

>Invented the breakup album
lol

True

>It's just all very nice, but not as striking or mesmerizing.
the tonal ambiguity of God Only Knows, the retard that's found in a lot of songs, which is STILL not used that much in pop songs.
Having 2 progressive isntrumental tracks.
Being the first rock record to have a theremin