/daily/ - Tripfag Containment Thread edition

It's the beginning of the first full week of June.

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, tell us what you have been listening to today and what you will listen to in the following month, just let the good times flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>the new topsters

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>new plug.dj room now that it appears to work again

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>fifth dimension of bad choices and silent regret (aka "taste")

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>Site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

Ask about our Skype group if you're interested.

previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TukMwYXQ3wE
feckingbahamas.bandcamp.com/album/i-japan
youtube.com/watch?v=a6pvjN9kbic
youtube.com/watch?v=u0n4eMGXAyk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

HOW MUCH FOR A RAT BURGER

holy fuck this album

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TukMwYXQ3wE

What are even the point of these threads

To stroke my damaged ego

Stroke it now......pls

To get "taste"

oh god a friend made me listen to it and holy shit it's terrible

Wait a minute. . . this isn't bleep

It made me laugh for over half an hour. That's worth something.

Looking for similar sounds, also asking about skype group

try this out feckingbahamas.bandcamp.com/album/i-japan

That is a gorgeous colour. Sorry though, I can't help you with any recs. What are the albums on your chart like?

I'm also asking about skype

They're a mixed bag but kind of focus around the same theme of twinkly clean guitar work, post-rock and great drumming. Minimal vocals on some, MotK is quite jazzy, toe is quite math but yeah. Thanks btw

Starfire was good. Starfire was really good. Please rec me more like this.

Sounds interesting, I might check it out

coincidentally enough

I just opened the still plastic wrap sealed copy of Futuresex/Lovesounds I thrifted and look at this relic that popped out!

Thanks, really enjoying it so far, just starting track 4.

>Futuresex/Lovesounds I thrifted

*sheesh*

woops

New purchase :333

because it's supposedly pretty good and I love the singles that were on the radio and 3 dollars for a sealed copy is pretty sweet
I also got Pearl Jam's Ten, Nine Inch Nails Year Zero, Warped Tour 98 and the rest in this image if you want more to object to. Finding new music is supposed to be fun!

hey team, i was gone for a few days, what'd I miss?

"Reviews" from best to worst

>Ghost Bath - Moonlover
I really enjoyed a lot of the emotion behind this. At first I hated the dude's voice, but next listens I really thought it fit the depressive atmosphere. Largest flaw on Moonlover is the first part of "The Silver Flower" and "Beneath the Shade Tree" which are decent, but not up to par with the rest of the album.

>Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - s/t (Moanin'
NICE

FUCKING

DRUUUUUUMS

First four tracks are bliss, and the last two are whatever imo. Really liked Free For All a lot more honestly, but this one still kicks ass.

>Boris - Boris Performing "Flood"
It's Flood! Except it's half as long which for some might not be a detriment. Pretty much cuts out the first and last song out in their entirety and starts instead with a droning noise piece. Gorilla recording quality is the largest flaw here, as the most dynamic moments are largely lacking because of this.

>Brave Little Abacus - Masked Dancers
These guys have a lot of solid and dense instrumentation, but god, why are half of every song so EMPTY. Like seriously, this album is like 80% "build up" and occasionally it pays off, but not always. Shit's like 20 minutes longer than it needs to be, but still satisfying sometimes.

>King Crimson - The Power to Believe
The first four tracks were alright, but my god, they're just making really generic prog now. Like if you had told me this was "just some prog band from Idaho" I would've believed you, what the fuck is Fripp doing?

>King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair
The first song is alright, but my god, this is the absolute worst of the "Talking Heads Rip-Off" era I've heard thus far. Really shitty stuff.

There aren’t any lovely ladies where I live that are hip-hop heads. It’s a real problem. I have to eventually move somewhere else if I’m ever going to find a wife I can cuddle with on the couch while listening to Dilla…passing a big ass kush blunt back and forth. I need this in my life.

EXTRA BONUS REVIEW

>Andy Kaufman - Andy and His Grandmother
This isn't really a great wholesome experience, and more the best cuts of ~80 hours of tape where Andy Kaufman is doing a lot of shit to fuck with people. He's harassing prostitutes, taxi drivers, his own family, etc. by shoving a tape recorder in their face and trying to interview them. One hilarious moment is when he's driving with his grandmother saying his car is tracked by "satellite" and will stop veering off the road if he lets go, so he does and his grandma flips the fuck out, and he gets pulled over. In one part he's interviewing animals, and I can't fully explain without going over the text limit, but "Andy's English Friend Paul" had me near crying. Last track he’s talking with Zmuda about how he’d fake his death every few years as a practical joke, so it’s pretty clear to see why everyone would make all those conspiracy theories about him back in the day, which I imagine if they released this earlier would’ve only more cemented. If you're a fan of the guy's work or interested in the dude, definitely try this out, otherwise give it a pass.

haha oh wow
lol

have you tried men
or teenage white girls

i feel ya

In the hotel. Listened to Jandek the whole way here. Wrote the review. Will post after dinner.

me on the right

>muscly men
shit tier gay

Made me happy. Good listenalong pick for a change.

I gotta ask, is there more atonal stuff like his first three in his later output?

Same, and from what I can tell, not much. Wæird name btw.

Hmmm. So it the listenalong actually good this week?

I think we all wanna be shayne oliver, man
I assure you neither of them are muscley dudes.

wow you really got into Xiu Xiu i guess

It's cute and French, what's not to like? Don't go expecting a lot more but it's very good at what it does in my opinion. Either way it's only 12 minutes, give it a try.
youtube.com/watch?v=a6pvjN9kbic

(is there a reference I'm missing)

(i'm not really sure)

FFUKING
WHATEVER
I really just want this over at this point

what a wonderfully abstract rating system
I love it

Hey /daily/ I made a thing!
It took me a long time so I'd appreciate some feedback :8)

Also to anyone curious about jazz, give this a go!

Your one mistake was not letting me win by default (even if I didn't participate)

theres exactly one good album on there

none of those genres come even close to what those albums genres actually are

You missed the point, they are jazz albums to get into based on what category you already like.

get me to the top 500 lads

i know lol, i was memeing

Vespertine, Bladerunner or Quebec? Or FL/LS if you like haviing fun

i'll listen to it

did i win

never

vespertine
havent heard bladerunner actually

thanks user

oops i didn't have my trip on
rain serenade is fantastic

I haven't either yet but it's supposed to be amazing. It's got over a 4.00 average rating on RYM, if you like RYM dictating your life.

>I gotta ask, is there more atonal stuff like his first three in his later output?
Try Skirting The Edge

i listened to it
gave it a 6

>Jandek - Where Do You Go From Here

I was preparing myself for this Corwood release in a way. I saw the tag “free jazz” and I saw the Youngs/Neilson support squad too. I watched Glasgow Sunday and Newcastle Sunday, so I had an idea of what the sound is going to be like.

Was I prepared for this? Did I have an idea what direction this album will take?

No. Oh no.

What the hell is going on?

Where Do You Go From Here is the 51st album by the Corwood Industries Representative. It features 12 untitled tracks.

Part One breaks all my expectations. When reading the “free jazz” tag, I expected this is going to be something like what they did on the first 2 Sunday shows in a more thought out way and with less edge. What I got instead is a soft,steady drum pace with a piano waltzing in. The rep shows up with a harmonica. The most interesting thing about this whole ordeal is how soothing and calm this is. Especially compared to all the broken-down elements of all the previous Jandek records. Neilson is exploring the unconventional drum-stick hits while Youngs keeps playing this somber piano.

Part Two starts off with chimes percussion and a flute. I shit you not. The piano just adds on to the soothing peace. I don’t think I have heard a Jandek record this bright. The serenity on this track is absolutely surreal. Bravo rep. Bravo.

Part Three opens up with some distortion control from the bass guitar ala Takayanagi and this clean guitar tone with slight delay and soft reverb over it. Sounds exactly like something Haino would deploy on his Colors series. Neilson plays some standard soft drum improvs over this all, letting the track obtain some dynamical direction. The last minute or so features more obsolete drumming melting in with the guitar/bass duo.

The beginning of Part Four features a creaking chair, a repetitive piano (possibly looped), more reverberated guitar and Alex Neilson’s wonderfully hollow drum set. The track itself is hypnotic. Makes me think of time progression, especially with the piano staying the same. The guitar tries to parody the piano at times. Eventually, Sterling speaks. “Make up your mind / Decide” is all he says. He keeps repeating it in a soft voice, almost as though he travelled back into his youth days. As the piano leaves, we are introduced to the next track.

Part Five with another switch up. Sterling behind the piano, playing rippled notes. Youngs returns to the bass and plays long, sustained notes. Alex keeps messing around with the drums. The “Make up your mind/ You Decide or Not Decide” reappears but I refuse to believe that it is the same person singing. This singing is much closer to what I would traditionally perceive as “singing”. It is probably Youngs behind the vocals.

Part Six brings back the flute/bass/drums trio. The section is less than 2 minutes, but it manages to deliver emotional trills from the flute and some roaring drums. The drum set on this album sounds phenomenal, especially the snare.

I could swear that Part Seven boasts the exact same tone/technique Haino uses. It could easily pass off as a Fushitsusha track. The notes just go up and down the fret, concentrating on the picking tempo. The bass swirls around like a snake around all this with Youngs working on his slides a lot. Alex is probably the major talent of this show so far. Great jazz drumming from him.

Part Eight returns to the feedback work from Youngs and the clean space guitar from the Corwood Representative. I had this Devi Ever fuzz pedal that had this drone generator built in and I feel like this is exactly what Youngs is using on this track. In terms of the guitar, I feel like Sterling works around established chords this time and simply picks the strings. The track closes off with Neilson’s kick drum hits.

A distressing piano chord (Youngs) and some harmonica work (Rep) on Part Nine make things slightly more distressing, “Where do you go from here… / Make up your mind / Decide.” sings Sterling in between his harmonica solos. The drums bring in the track towards the conclusion, where Youngs just repeatedly plays the dying high E note.

Part Ten brings back the Rep to the piano, Youngs to the vocals(?) and Alex takes on the brighter percussion here. The vocalist reprises the thematic lyrics that have been showing up this whole time. The flute reappears right after the vocals section ends, so I would assume Alex is playing these. The pace of the album returns to the peaceful direction.

It stays on it for Part Eleven. Only one and a half minutes long, it brings back the chime bell percussion along with Neilson’s drums.

Part Twelve, the closing part of the piece, lasts 14 minutes. Guitar / piano / drums trio I believe. Broken notes from all the sides, calmly leading the piece into a state of oblivion. The hypnotic softness of the chamber ensemble swirls all the sounds into one free mix of indeterminacy. Neilson’s occasional crash cymbal overwhelms the entire mix of lost piano chords and Smith’s tuned guitar, breaking down the wandering thoughts of the other two performers. Occasionally you can hear the connection between this and the first live performances from the trio, mostly because of Smith’s guitar technique. Almost 12 minutes in, an accordion appears alongside the guitar and the drums, leading this free composition into a sense of closure. One last bend of the guitar and it is all over.

It is obvious that the twelve tracks connect into a single piece.

What’s interesting to see is that the signature Jandekian theme of loss is going through yet another reincarnation process, but this time it probably takes the most melodic, serene and rooted down form. During the Glasgow and the Newcastle performance I saw how composed these guys could get once they get a sense of each other’s presence, but this is something else. The improvisation is so effortless and free on here that I’m surprised this wasn’t thoroughly composed.

Brilliant chemistry between the players, fantastic record. I was hooked for every singe second. This has been one of the greatest and most coherent things the Jandek project has produced. Instant 9+/10 rating on this one, possible 10 in the future.

The question is: where will these guys go from here?

Damn, doggo
great review

This is really cool, I want to listen to every album on this list (sans the pop category)

Now this is a damn good review, makes up for how unsubstantial mine have been haha

I'm off to bed, lots of work tomorrow. Good Night /daily/!

thank you

Listening to this right now and quite enjoying it.
It's free jazz with that kind of culty tribal feel (sadly no bongos).
The cello is prominantly featured throughout, ranging from nice droning backrounds to crazy squealing.
Nice drums and flute.

Giving this a: Recommended if you think you'll like Dolphy and Comus' bastard child.

sleep tight, doggy

>sans the pop category
???
why? most of these are fantastic

I just want to wish you a tight sleep, pupper
why does it think this is spam

mfw I have to go to work tomorrow

mfw I have 1 class tomorrow afternoon, and then my mom is coming up for work so we're going for dinner and beers

WE
DID IT

we did it, /daily/

what did we do

you just KNOW

me when I watch anime

I don't get these
what did we do jimjams

nice

how are these made?

whose blood did you shed today, /daily/?

I SHED THE BLOOD OF THE SAXON MEN

I download a film, edit the "haha oh wow lol" subtitle I made to fit over a scene, take four screenshots, then edit. It's a pretty sophisticated system.

I have a whole hour left of Aphex Twin's druqks
it's ok so far

I like this meme

Thanks for rating Arrayed jangle. I'm glad you liked it.

>you will neber completely listen to RDJ's discography
Which is great because you can just tell me which are worth giving the time of day to

GOOOOOOOAAAALLL
music for this feel?

Santigold - 99 cents
(one of the singles was featured on Fifa)

No problem!
I was actually going to do a """review""" on it but I forgot, thanks for reminding me.

great to know I'm doing God's work
so far I've really enjoyed Cock, Mt. Saint Michael, 54 Cymru beats. The rest has been so-so.

And honestly I'm debating whether I should even try his EPs or AFX and his other things, I've only listened to Orphaned Deejay Selek from those and I enjoyed that
Blur - Song 2

oh and of COURSE youtube.com/watch?v=u0n4eMGXAyk

What we're your thoughts on the self titled album? The one with the track Girl/Boy. Because I actually really like that album.

It was no wrangle, my jangle

Christopher Lee - The Bloody Verdict of Verden

Jamaicana getting BTFO
Fucking christ these fucking idiots almost killing Rincón
Also i'm finishing 1st round of The tourney when the game ends

HELLO FRIENDS, WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU

a newfag

oh shit youre back

Low-level new friend doing this shitty chart, feel free to disregard

I joined in march. Pic related shows some of my favourites. I have a habit of making charts and not finishing them.
I'm currently listening to Push the Sky Away by Nick Cave and I'm not enjoying it