With all the glowing five-star reviews I've read...

With all the glowing five-star reviews I've read, and with so many people telling me this album was the new barometer of musical genius, I had to buy it. I have listened to this album many, many times, and it always leaves me perplexed. "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea," to me, is hopelessly mediocre, infantile, poorly recorded, poorly performed, and not at all worth the hype it has received on this website. Anyone who believes this album is "genius," or "innovative" should pick up Webster's dictionary, look up the meaning of those words, and ask themselves if they really describe this album accurately. Many have pointed out the significance of the album's recurring theme of Anne Frank as if it were some brilliant stroke of lyrical mastery. I'm sorry, but most of us read the Diary of Anne Frank in the sixth grade, and the fact that Jeff Mangum is obsessed with it now only proves his childish intellect. His voice is, in a word, abysmal. His supporting players are likewise out-of-tune, out-of-time, grasping for ideas from their limited palette. As for Ms. Frank, nothing new is learned; Mangum leaves only fragmented questions, and no new insight. Of course, fans of the band tell me I just don't get it, that it's so emotional, that it makes them cry. Yet they can't say why it affects them so. As for Neutral Milk Hotel (and the majority of the Elephant Six Collective), I can only say that they've broken no new ground, have no talent, and seem quite content to fool you with the dubious aesthetics of their lo-fi world. With approval from the potheads at CMJ, and the Michael Stipe Seal Of Approval, Neutral Milk Hotel and bands of their ilk, will continue to pump out what is the most overrated dross I think I've ever heard.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA
youtube.com/watch?v=ayE6Shlv598
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I can only say that they've broken no new ground
What is it with millennials and their obsession with "breaking new ground"?

it's because people call this album innovative when it's not, there is no innovation
also i'm pretty sure the person who wrote this is at least 40 years old

youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA

B8

i like to eat pork

>it's because people call this album innovative when it's not, there is no innovation
Name 40 albums that sound exactly like it then.

>he thinks age matters when you make art
gonna have to ask you to kill yourself senpai

well aren't you just a little musical genius.

this is obviously in response to the "millenial" buzzword, learn to read

bad b8, but i'll take it.

the album is inventive in more ways than one. name one album that came before that sounds like it. you'll find influences here and there, but you'll have a hard time actually finding something that soundseven remotely similar. Now, yes, OP, if you wanna be a huge faggot you can pick apart the album and look at the chords or the vocals, you'll find plenty to hate, but you gotta look at the wholepacmage. its very original and inventive

also

>what is inventing anti-folk
>what is spawning legions of indie music

How does it feel to be 14?

Why do people like things I don't like??? I'm certainly not the problem... it's everyone else who is wrong!

Chill out dude. Just listen to what you like.

>How does it feel to be 14?
No, he said he doesn't like it

summer

I don't know about genius but its songwriting is top tier. Other E6 bands that Mangum was involded in pretty much prove Mangum is one of the great songwriters of a generation. It also is basically single-handedly responsible for the "indie-folk/rock" sound that was pretty popular (and still is).

>wholepacmage
wew

Just because a record doesn't sound like anything else before it, doesn't necessarily mean that the piece is great. It the combination of many elements. Sure this record has some of those elements present, but to truly become something great, all those elements need to have balance. Everything working together. Like I said, this record holds some of those elements, but not all to make it something of "genius".

Also, people need to talk about a different record than this. That's all I see on this board. The reason everyone thinks it's great is because that's only whatever is posted on here. While I bet a majority of people on here haven't even listened to he piece himself. Listen for yourself and come to your own conclusions. It's probably the same 3 people posting about this record anyway.

To be honest, I've never called it innovative and I just don't think it is. Indie rock and chamber pop and genres that existed before this album and they didn't change dramatically after this album. ITAOTS to me is just a good album, it's catchy it's got pretty cool creative lyrics, it's simple but very well written and it's also pretty damn emotional at points. Basically: it's a really enjoyable listen and that's why I really like it. It makes 40 minutes of my life zoom by with nice fuzzy guitars, interesting instrumentation and imaginative lyrics.

People look way too hard into this thing, look at it at face value and just enjoy it for what it is: a great little indie rock/chamber pop album. Not every album has to redefine music as an art to be great.

Is this pasta? I'm too lazy to check the archive.

I'm high

It's the most genuine piece of musical expression I ever heard plus it's filled with memorable 10/10 moments and ultimately that is what makes an album worth replaying it. Also the lyrics are incredibly well written. I fucking love it. It celebrates life by exploring the absolute senselessness of Anne Frank's death. But it also explores many other more personal themes. It's fucking beautiful.

It's pretty much the closest thing to what a dream is like iv heard yet. It's good. Got soul