HONEST KANYE DISCUSSION THREAD

I want a genuine thread discussing the ACTUAL talent this guy has/doesn't have and WHY/why not he is a good artist.

Personally, I like *some* of his music.
What I want to know is what people truly think, because I don't hate him and I'm not obsessed with him--I think he is just decent, which from what I've seen isn't a common opinion to have. I'm tired of seeing ironic/memey/"controversial" posts about him and want geniune thought about him, his music, and what role his personality plays in his success.

How I would rate his albums best to worse:
1. Yeezus (because its so experimental and was so risky for him to release at the time--plus gesaffelstein produced like 3 of the songs and he is my favorite electronic musician.
2. TLOP (FML is my song of the year so far)
3. Late Registration
4. The College Dropout
5. MBDTF
6. Graduation
7. 808s.

TL;DR: what do people actually think about Kanye West + Kanye West album rate thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

rapanalysis.com/2014/05/rap-analysis-kanye-west-monster.html
youtube.com/watch?v=s1inbG7Lqxc)
instagram.com/p/BGTggXokUPL/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1 mbdtf
2 tlop
3 yeezus
4 late registration
5 college dropout

no memes, no jokes, he's my current favorite artist. i really dig a lot, if not most of what he does, and i think he's a musical genius.

my personal list

>808s and Heartbreaks
>MBDTF
>TLOP
>College Dropout
>Yeezus
>Late Registration
>Graduation

forgot 808s familia

Kanye Stan here. I was pretty mixed on TLOP but I did love some of the songs. Other than that I love every single album he's released.

it definitely took a while for TLOP to grow on me, but it has. my AOTYSF

Mine's The Impossible Kid by Aesop so far.

WalkGOD

1. Late Registration
2. MBDTF
3. TLOP
4. College Dropout
5. 808s and Heartbreaks
6. Graduation
7. Yeezus

I think Kanye is so revered because he's always setting hip hop's climate every time he releases an album, or at least reflecting the current state of hip hop in a easily digestable and catchy format. His lyrics are almost always easy to memorize and he has one of, if not the biggest personality in hip hop, which is a huge aspect of being a hip hop artist in my opinion, mostly because I view hip hop as the WWE of music.

fuck you

That settles it

>hip hop as the WWE of music
this is so true. its all one big act, a schtick. none of it is genuine, its just there to hype the brand

autism

>WWE
>Fake
Can we just get normies to leave this board? Honestly.

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You could say that for literally any trendy genre/artist out there.

Sean Walker is in rare form lads

fuck this is stupid as hell

actual autism is from the people who take hip hop personalities seriously. (kind of the same way as how people with autism take WWE seriously)

This is stupid an naive as fuck considering some hip hop artists were/are actual gang banging gangsters.

>autistic people mad that i called WWE fake

all of you need to get medication, you are low function autists

ok let's stop the meme rankings
1.late registration
2.college dropout
3.my beautiful dark twisted fantasy
4.graduation
5.the life of pablo
6.yeezus
7.808s and heartbreak

It's more that you compared a genre of music to fucking wrestling you half wit cunt.

It's not about WWE, it's about your retarded assessment of hip-hop music

>were

name one who is an active gangbanger today

wwe is not fucking fake you retard honestly just go die your just jealous of cool guys like stone cold steve austin that could proably kick your smarmy ass back to the moon fuck off and die you shitbird fuck you fuck you

> What I want to know is what people truly think
love his music, and its exciting to follow somebody so controversial and popular. everyone has an opinion on kanye

>How I would rate his albums best to worse
MBDTF
LR
CD
Yeezus
Graduation
808s
TLOP

he thinks WWE is fake

>MBDTF
>CD
>Yeezus
>Graduation
>808s
>TLOP
>LR
In terms of how much I listen to the albums, not likability.

hip hop personalities faggots. like kanye's public image. im not talking about the actual fucking music

Taking any music artist's personality seriously is autistic. Not just hip-hop.

What I mean is that you shouldn't care about their image or their personal life, you should only care about the music.

Well no shit. I don't believe for a second that he's the arrogant narcissistic personality that the media portrays him as. Apparently with fan encounters he's an incredibly down to earth person who's actually interested in his fans.

BASED

FUCKING

SEAN

that exactly my point! do you know who would believe that tho?
>autists

1. Late Registration
2. College Dropout
3. MBDTF
4. 808s
5. Yeezus
6. Graduation
7. TLOP

Funny thing is though pretty much every person on earth hates Kanye because of media perception.

why do you think he is a musical genius?

I'm not disagreeing by any means I'm just curious

>everyone has an opinion on kanye

i don't

808s influenced an entire generation of hip hop.

He's probably the most influential fashion icon for urban youth from teenagers to people in their 30s of the past decade.

MBDTF doesn't really sound like ANY other hip hop album out there.

I am obsessed with like 4 songs from TLOP but there some serious flaws/mixing issues. Out of curiosity why do you like 808s? I just can't feel that vibe at all I guess.

its hard for me to word my opinion in a way that wont seem like some sort of bait (3am here and no sleep) but i'll try

he uses sampling a lot which i know that some people view as lazy, but really he uses it in a way thats very fresh and inventive. espeically his early chipmunk soul sampling which IIRC was completely new to hip hop. this new gospel sampling he did on TLOP is sort of along the same lines, but not nearly as fresh as his college trilogy. sorry familia, i cant think too well right now

Then why are you here?

It has a very personal feel to it. It has a definite cold, isolated feeling to it as well. I don't listen to it a lot, but when I do it just puts me in a strange mood. I don't see the autotune as a turn of at all. Just as a part of the overall package.

I might listen to it tonight actually.

because he does have an opinion on kanye, he just wants to get Sup Forums points for being contrarian

A lot of people claim he wasn't the first guy to do the chipmunk soul sampling.

808s is my favorite kanye album for this exact reason.

well good thing i didnt claim that he definitely was.

Nice friend. Mine's personally MBDTF. I know it's the popular choice, but it just never gets old for me. I pretty much know it back to front for the sheer amount of times I've listened to it.

Surprisingly Graduation is also a favourite of mine as well, despite the amount of flak it cops on here.

rapanalysis.com/2014/05/rap-analysis-kanye-west-monster.html

just read this article

Did anyone else cringe at the song "low lights"? Man I've never really disliked any Kanye songs but this one just made me skip it every time. I NEVER do that with yeezy.

I agree to an extent--808s was undoubtedly influential. I didn't like it personally because it's really not my taste but I like the concept a lot, and it definitely could be attributed to inspiring many up-and-comings in hip hop.

MBDTF, on the other hand, isn't as landmark in my eyes. It has good arrangements, meaningful lyrics, a good concept, but it's nothing special to me.

With all that being said I'll absolutely give the albums another listen and perhaps change my mind--I HATED

MBDTF is definitely up in my all time favorite, and i listen to it more than 808s, but 808s just gives me something that MBDTF cant

It's not always so easy to disassociate the person behind the music with the music itself. And it's both good and bad.

The bads are the obvious (e.g. all the normies hating on Kanye because they just read in a tabloid that he is an egotistical gay fish), but the good is that knowing at least something about the person behind the music helps you put the music in a context much better, and it's very apparent in hip hop because these guys love to reflect on where they are and what they are doing, from gang members to rich people.

i didnt cringe, but i do skip that track. it a nice interlude the first time listening to the album, but after that its just sort of forgettable.

Did you not like his music at all?

And yeah, while I don't think MBDTF really influences anything per-say I definitely think it'll stand the test of time, but I am biased, as a huge fan.

I'm definitely going to listen to 808s again tonight. You've solidified it. Thinking about all of the songs now.
I'm not religious, and I can pretty much always deal with religious themes but this one just killed me.

same here. its late at night and im already sort of in that mood. 808s is gonna take me somewhere. favorite song?

>Robocop

I really like how he acts when on talk-shows, in interviews, etc. I think he is genuinely himself--most artists of his level of fame are just as cocky and scrappy, but hide it under a layer of people-pleasing bullshit.

He is how we would all love to act if we were at his level.

>Robocop
Man this is probably my least favourite. I don't hate it, I just don't love it too much.

My favourite would be "Amazing". It used to be Love Lockdown though.

Most celebrities are incredibly reserved on live TV. Very few are themselves. I'd say Ricky Gervais gives him a run for his money but on different topics.

aw man, how can you not like Robocop? the drums in the intro give me chills! im a sucker for Heartless too. as well as Love Lockdown

Low Lights is lazy af. It's just a random sample of the preaching girl (youtube.com/watch?v=s1inbG7Lqxc) already with a reverb, with piano and a synth thrown on top, def one of the laziest songs from yeezy in a while

Fuck yeah Heartless is great. I mean, honestly speaking and it might sound stan as fuck, I can't really name a Kanye track I don't "like". Even my least favourite tracks I still enjoy.

Love Lockdown thumps hard though.

me too. i like all of his stuff. my favorites and least favorites of his are subject to change at any moment

>my favorites and least favorites of his are subject to change at any moment
Based. I've pretty much had a favourite on every single album. I remember I used to be kind of eh on "Gorgeous" but it eventually became my favourite and that fucking feature at the end man.

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2. The College Dropout
3. Graduation
4. The Life Of Pablo
5. 808s and Heartbreak
6. Late Registration
7. Yeezus

I like how he dresses, and how he appears to treat his wife/kids.

May be delusional for believing what I see on social media.. But what it looks like to me, is that he's a decent man, and he still puts all this work on the table.

If he sat on his ass all day and did absolutely nothing, people would hate him. His mind seems to be crowded with ideas and all this talent, and he just wants to do what he can.

I think he's a genius but I wouldn't say he's on par with someone like Elon Musk or Noam Chomsky.

The whole >muh social justice they hate him because he's black
Is corny off top, but you have to admit it has some ground to it.

TLOP is not my album of the year so far. Still figuring that out, prob Moon Shaped Pool.

I thought TLOP was pretty lackluster right after release but I just listened to it and I think its clicked with me. easily better than yeezus

my current fave my him is Blame Game. i used to skip that song

what's you favs from it? I am in love with Ultralight Beam, Real Friends, Feedback, and FML is my song of the year so far.

I personally like Yeezus better (as of now) because it's a little more cohesive and really experimental--a real risk he had to take. But it could change for me.

it's not just the media tho... he mostly only ever appears in public as his character who is eccentric but in a simplistic way and he just kind of streams his conscious

yes him ranting on Ellen made him look bad because of the media lmao

his ellen rant got me hype as shit, fuck you talkin about

He's good at influencing young artists to steal their ideas
>MBDTF - It's good all around, he didn't try to push limits and experiment he let the music talk
>TLOP = Solid album, really catchy tunes, overproduced on nearly each track to the point where it lapses over Kendrick on No More Parties
> Yeezus- Muh Experimental
> the rest

>how he appears to treat his wife/kids.
The dude seems to love them so much. It's adorable as fuck. I'm pretty happy for him.

>they hate him because he's black
I don't think all of them do, but I definitely think some a lot do and would never admit it.

>I wouldn't say he's on par with someone like Elon Musk
Too different to compare. They have different goals. Overall Musk is a genius tho.

On a sorta related note, does anyone have a full copy of Chance the Rapper's version of waves please?

I have never listened to one of his songs that wasn't on the radio, but I just hate him so much as a person because of he far he is up his own ass and just the way he talks. Would it be worth my time to actually listen to an album?

He didn't say anything bad at all on Ellen. The media twists everything he says. Cuts from word to word, make stupid titles for the news articles. Anything they can do to slander someone they will. As long as it gives them ratings.

Totally.

>but I just hate him so much as a person because of he far he is up his own ass and just the way he talks.
Maybe you should stop listening to the media and make your own mind up.

Besides, I never saw the point in getting worked up over any celebrity to the point of hatred. Who the fuck has enough time to "hate" a celebrity.

I love Robocop too. Probably my favorite song by him. Baroque orchestration is my musical fetish and Kanye's vocal melody through the whole song is catchy as hell.

I used to never like Real Friends but it grew on me hard. Fucking fantastic song.

>gesaffelstein produced like 3 of the songs and he is my favorite electronic musician
how to recognise a pleb

Kanye is above music.. to call his art music is an insult!

Yeezus, 808s and MBDTF are his best albums. I'm not so sure about TLOP. Late Registration, College Dropout, Graduation and Watch the Throne are all kinda weak.

another retard who fell for the memes

don't listen to all these idiots, i feel you and the list. its the ultimate order.

People always overstate it, especially Kanye himself, but he's a brilliant producer for the reasons that the other responses listed. If he were more introverted he'd be a modern-day Quincy Jones.

dude is living the rockstar life *and* has all the critics on his nuts
instagram.com/p/BGTggXokUPL/

music critics at least

I like Kanye but lately he has been disappointing as hell. I personally hate Yeezus and TLOP.
Personal ratings:
1. College Dropout- 9/10
2. Late Registration- 9/10
3. MBDTF- 8.5/10
4. Graduation- 7/10
5. 808's- 6/10
6. Yeezus- 5/10
7. TLOP- 5/10

>personally hate
>5/10

when will this meme end

Good point, I shouldn't have said hate, but I don't think they're good albums. I do hate Kanye stans though, but who doesn't.

Troy Average isn't gang banging but he shot someone the other day. GS9 and Glogang come to mind

I agree with you OP my list is very similar. However I'd maybe switch up Graduation and 808s or even TLOP and Yeezus.

The fact that peoples lists of the best to worst Kanye albums varies so much exemplifies just how good all his music is. Same thing happened with the Beatles, so many varying opinions on the best album.

WalkGod on Nobel Prize watch

When Yeezus came out, everyone on Sup Forums went fucking crazy.
I remember listening to it even though i wasn't a fan of hip-hop at that time.

It wasn't bad, but it didn't blow me away either. I really liked Bound 2 though.

All in all i think he deserves respect and not people talking shit because of his media appearances.

1. Yeezus - 9.7/10
2. 808s - 9.2/10
3. College Dropout - 9/10
4. Late Registration - 9/10
5. MBDTF - 9/10
6. TLOP - 8.8/10
7. Graduation - 8.5/10

Love Kanye, both his music and his persona.
He is the modern rockstar, this generations Bowie.

While I'm not sure how much of his persona he puts on I believe that he is aware of how the world sees him and chooses to feed it.

>Late Registration (consistent throughout, strong and catchy compositions and great hooks all-round, and features Kanye at his lyrical best)
>The College Dropout (somewhat inferior to LR but just as soulful and with my fave Kanye song "We Don't Care", he also sounds genuinely happy on this album)
>MBDTF (good compositions with some really strong features, hindered by poor mastering and somewhat uninteresting concept, has some really strong songs though)
>Graduation (real drop in quality but still kinda fun)
>Yeezus (should have been an EP of Black Skinhead, On Sight, Blood on the Leaves and New Slaves)
>TLOP (it has some good songs but it's bloated and has tons of filler for me)
>808's (influential in terms of auto-tune usage and bringing introspection to a larger mainstream hip-hop crowd, but not really interesting or all that fun/engaging to listen to)

Kanye was a somewhat notable figure in my household while growing up, because his earlier stuff resonated a lot with my siblings and friends. They lost respect for him after the Taylor incident though.

Black Male

thank you. thread's over guys, go home.

that's not a response wtf