Why is it that everyone on this board is obsessed with albums?

Why is it that everyone on this board is obsessed with albums?

They judge albums as a whole, rather than judging them on a song by song basis.

Cant you see that albums are literally just ways to sell a bunch of songs for a reasonable price?

They dont have a "grander structure" to them, artists sometimes literally save songs from a previous production season to have material for the next album, a lot of bands have admitted to doing this (not that its a bad thing).

>>>/reddit/

hey guy,

thought I should tell you that in addition to those things you mentioned, the actual SIZE of a record determined the length of an album,

right?

I mean, the sizes were standardized, so players could be standardized, therfore artists made their work fit those standards. which basically equates to either one 78 LP or a double LP. its alll based in the physical realm homie, and here I am thinkin u said everything when u completely missed this essential fact haha.

i just can't lmao

>They dont have a "grander structure" to them
Sometimes they do.

You can do both. Being able to appreciate albums as a whole doesn't mean you can't appreciated individual songs.

And really it depends on the artist and there's really no way to say for sure whether an artist is just making a collection of songs or if they're purposely ordering the tracks. Sometimes they'll say which they do but I don't think it's that common for them to. Thinking that every album that isn't a concept album is just a collection of songs is a pretty ignorant opinion though.

>They dont have a "grander structure" to them

What kind of shitty fucking albums are you listening to?

I listen to single songs all the time and enjoy them. There's nothing wrong with that. But an album is more submersive and rewarding listening experience.

The "shitty" albums I'm talking about are stuff like the non-concept albums of ACDC, Pink Floyd, Twenty One Pilots, and Alt-J.

Though they may have similar themes running through the songs, are either coincidence or not especially important to need the "album" label.

It's a group of songs.

all of those bands are garbage, get better taste before you post your shit opinions pls

>ACDC, Pink Floyd, Twenty One Pilots, and Alt-J are garbage.

Piss off newfag.

Albums sometimes do have grander structure to them though.

Look at your pic, I take it you listen to soda stereo. Go listen to their first album (soda stereo) then compare it to their last album (sueño stereo)

soda stereo is 50% ska 50% new wave. Sueño stereo is almost entirely alt rock. The sound is extremely different.

I agree, but this is definitely not the most common case.

>thinking any of those bands are good
>calling me a newfag

oh yeah Mr. Krabs

>Though they may have similar themes running through the songs, are either coincidence or not especially important to need the "album" label.
And who are you to say this? I'm not specifically talking about the artists you mentioned but if the artist wants to create a specific experience with the album as a whole by purposely ordering the tracks then they would feel it is important. I guess there's the whole "death of the author" thing, but still, just because you can't hear the cohesion creating a larger experience than any individual song doesn't mean it isn't there and that the artist didn't want it there.

Everytime... Nice try newfag.

GTFO out of my thread.

nice thinly veiled 21 pilots thread

I just hate it when someone tells me "YO LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM, ITS FUCKING SICK!" and it turns out 10 out of 12 songs in the album are shit, but the other 2 are god tier so the album is suddenly "fucking sick"

Its just much more practical to judge each song individually imo, I understand that albums may carry some tones, but its still not enough to judge them as a whole.

I didnt posted that

Fuck off.

Sup Forums should let the OP delete comments, and this is case in point.

>Sup Forums should let the OP delete comments
that is actually a retarded idea

This is not me

For some reason theres a guy pretending to be op, he's not.

>I just hate it when someone tells me "YO LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM, ITS FUCKING SICK!" and it turns out 10 out of 12 songs in the album are shit, but the other 2 are god tier so the album is suddenly "fucking sick"
Give a specific example of this happening. I don't often come across albums where I hate most of the songs on them and if I did I probably wouldn't like the album.

oh so you want to give OP

"BTFO Insurance" ????

LOL

seriously tho that's a horrid idea, buttsqueeze

you know there are albums where all the songs are good, right?
they're out there you're just too much of a pissbaby to put in the effort
you probably came to Sup Forums to be spoonfed anyway so fuck off

A very simple example: When I was in highschool a friend recommended me to listen to iron maiden's piece of mind because it was "absolutely sick"

The entire album has only one good song which is my favorite maiden song (the trooper), but its still not even close enough to justify the rest of the album. All the other songs in it are absolute shit tier. I ended up deleting all of them save the trooper.

Please tell me some of them.

I listen to basically everything except nigger's music

>I listen to basically everything except nigger's music
damn

yep this person is clearly someone who puts a lot of thought into the opinions they hold

rate

>Please tell me some of them.
I felt this way about mewithoutYou's latest album. Really tight and all the songs are really good. Kate Bush's The Dreaming is another example. Though like I said, most albums I listen to I like most of the songs on them.

dude you seriously need to fuck off
fuck you and your friend's shitty taste in music respectively

people that make albums as "albums" sacrifice spontaneity and naturally occurring things, but it's more likely that people who just do things on a song to song basis will not make as great of an album and the potency of any single great song of their's will be diminished by the fact that it is only just the one song.

>people that make albums as "albums" sacrifice spontaneity and naturally occurring things
What do you mean by this?

I meant rap and hip hop.

Soul, funk, blues and jazz are cool

you're so fucking stupid man
listen to guided by voices, they do things on a "song to song" basis while staying very cohesive throughout their records

seriously kys

What I mean by that is what is trying to explain to me.

cont

Sorry I did a shit job explaining

Basically though for some kind of context, I just try to do both approaches in my music.

I understand your sentiment
I like albums where every song can stand alone as opposed to an album full of songs to get you into the mood of listening to the best tracks
I use Doolittle as my 10/10 barometer because every single song on it is 10/10

So can anybody recommend me one of those "perfect albums" please?

see >you probably came to Sup Forums to be spoonfed anyway so fuck off

Bitch just name a fucking album seriously

>There are perfect albums out there op! a lot of them!
>but im not gonna list them
>its totally not because they dont exist
>theyre real i swear, its just that i dont want to indulge you!
>w-why are you laughing?
>stop

Isn't this a matter of taste though? If I recommend an album that I think is 10/10 perfect but you don't agree, that doesn't mean that there aren't consistent and cohesive albums out there.

how about you become a self sufficient discerning music listener

>mfw a fuckload of those albums are utter shit and definitely not perfect

as expected

>Blues, jazz, soul, early rock, r&b, hip-hop,

My sides. Well good luck with thar.

L