Wanna get into jazz and blues

Listened to Kind of Blue, what i've got to do now?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V__g_D8TLTI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i enjoy a bit of blues but i don't know what to listen to. I enjoy blues like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=V__g_D8TLTI

Depends user, what did you think of Kind of Blue?

Just amazing, loved it.

coltrane - a love supreme

jazz
>Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners
>John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
>Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

and blues
>Bo Diddley - Chess 50th Anniversary Collection
>Chuck Berry - Chess 50th Anniversary Collection
>Howlin Wolf - Chess 50th Anniversary Collection
>Little Walter - Chess 50th Anniversary Collection
>Muddy Waters - Chess 50th Anniversary Collection

Really can't get more intro than that

He sounds liek Van Morrison

I saw that Van Morrison had played with some of these Jazz names, a bassist

>John Coltrane
A love supreme
Blue Train
Live at the Village Vanguard
>Art Blakey
Live at Birdland
Moanin
>Eric Dolphy
Out to Lunch
>Wayne Shorter
Speak no Evil
>Oriente Coleman
Ornette!
The shape of jazz to come
Live at the Golden Circle
>Don Cherry
Brown Rice
>Miles Davis
Bitches Brew
Round About Midnight
Birth of the Cool
>Charlie Parker
Bird and Diz

Just some of my favorites

Kind of Blue really is the best intro to jazz. It's so simple and powerful that even though I'd listened to a number of jazz albums before hearing it, I appreciated jazz much more after hearing it.

Next I'd recommend the most powerful albums on an emotional level. Let My Children Hear Music by Charles Mingus is good for this, and is actually my favorite jazz album. It's pretty much the key "experimental big band" album, and it's literally avant garde jazz's stab at Bach-style dynamics (Mingus was obsessed with Bach, and this was his homage to him).
The next album I recommend is Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come. Don't let Coleman's status as the father of free jazz intimidate you - on this album Coleman did abandon conventional jazz structures, but note that he had mastered those structures, and on this he and his band were following logic, even if that logic was rooted in emotion and instinct. In other words, at this point they'd rejected conventional structures to more freely express themselves emotionally. The album is striking and powerful, and evokes emotions. At some points it's transcendent, at others it's downright uncomfortable, but it never loses you, even if you're new to jazz.
The other person I strongly recommend is Django Reinhardt. It's true that he's from far before the bebop era, back when jazz was used as simple pop and dancing music. But he was far ahead of his time - he was expressing himself in ways that hinted at the future bebop and free jazz musicians, even if almost none of his contemporaries were.

Okay but what in particular did you like about it?

Let me add Miles Davis - In a Silent Way to this list. It's his first album with electronical instuments

For jazz

I just realised that spellcheck really bungled the "Ornette" in Ornette Coleman lol.

Very nice addition

Can someone rec Django Reinhardt?

He didn't seem to record many full albums and his sessions are scattered all over a million comps.

The idea of the jazz record wasn't really around during his era, so you're stuck with comps. Basically, listen to song samples to ry to find the best quality recordings you can find, and obviously the longer the compilation, the better.

this list is good, i'll dump a few more

>blues

You can't read half of those titles user, some of the covers don't even have text. How the fuck could any of that help a beginner if you don't put the artists / titles under the albums?

sorry bud, didn't make it, just sharing

Where is On the Corner?

on the list you're going to make :^)

Lester Young
Sonny Rollins
Charlie Parker
Coleman Hawkins